ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN BS Report rumour: Bosh for Bynum already done?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,051

Re: ESPN BS Report rumour: Bosh for Bynum already done? 

Post#41 » by Schad » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Alfred wrote:
I don't see how rebuilding would be a better plan than getting a 22 year old center that could potentially be the best bigman in the league at some point.

I personally think it's crazy that the Lakers would even consider this. I don't think Bynum is even scratching the surface of his potential.

Yeah, I'm just not that confident in Bynum's work ethic and health, nor do I think that the resultant lineup would have much of a chance to compete until some of the bloat was removed. But given the alternatives, I'd give that trade an A+ and get to sacrificing the goats.

You see, the thing that intrigues me is that if Bosh for Bynum is real, and happens, it begins to recreate the 2008-09 Orlando Magic situation, with a few differences, but I think you see some similarities. You have a big post-up C, a perimetre oriented PF who can also post up smaller players, Turkuglu at small forward and DeRozan as Courtney Lee (although DD's three pointer needs lots and lots of work). If BC knew he was getting Bynum, he would draft a three point shooting guard, like DeMar's buddy, Xavier Henry, and then look to trade our expirings, one point guard, or whatever for a little more athletic point guard. Here's where a kid like Darren Collison would complete the picture.

Similar, but there's still quite a gap from Howard to Bynum, especially in the rebounding department, and likewise between Lewis and Bargnani. The Magic are the best defensive rebounding team in the league, and that's crucial to their success. Bargs/Bynum is actually a downgrade from our current frontcourt, which ranked 23rd in DRB%...I'm not certain that you can replicate Orlando's stops n' threes style without being able to dominate the glass.
**** your asterisk.
Skeebs
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#42 » by Skeebs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 pm

C_Money wrote:Bosh wouldn't go to the Knicks so that Lee rumour is out. The Lakers already have a Bosh type player in Gasol. They're front court would be as soft as ours with both of them starting.

Gasol is 10x as tough as bosh, not sure what games you're watching lol. Gasol > Bosh.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#43 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:02 pm

HeirCanada10 wrote:Where in this radio talk do they even mention the trade at what time i'm not sure if i missed it or anything?

The Lee-to-Raps starts around 46:55, and then Simmons brings up Bynum right afterwards.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
mappiah19
Analyst
And1: 1,139

Post#44 » by mappiah19 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Skeebs wrote:
C_Money wrote:Bosh wouldn't go to the Knicks so that Lee rumour is out. The Lakers already have a Bosh type player in Gasol. They're front court would be as soft as ours with both of them starting.

Gasol is 10x as tough as bosh, not sure what games you're watching lol. Gasol > Bosh.

If you seen him in his Memphis days when he all by himself, you wouldn't be saying this.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#45 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 pm

panthermark wrote:Why would a trade rumor be "leaked" in the middle of a play-off series?

Sounds like BS....so my guess is to motivate Bynum.

I can't see Bosh making up his mind before he knows where anyone else will land.

Great motivator. Btw, you're for sure gone after the season's over, go get 'em.
Skeebs
Banned User

Post#46 » by Skeebs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 pm

I saw him in his Mephis days do more with that team alone then bosh has done in 7 years here.
dj-Sequence
Junior
And1: 118

Post#47 » by dj-Sequence » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Bosh for Bynum??
really now I think that these writers are looking for a story to write...
TO can't talk trade with Lakers they are still in the playoffs.
So how could the deal be close to done.
Also in the same breath D Lee for Bosh???
I guess they think that BC = Babcock! lol
All the crazy trade for garbage players always are being pointed at us...
Bynum I would do only if Bosh says he is leaving.
But from going from being the man to being the 3/4 man in the franchise
I think that is a stretch.
and to be honest I think it makes the Lakers weaker...
But I am not a GM.
Remember the US wants Bosh and thinks that we should give up our face of the franchise
for an oft injured center. If that is the best we can get if He wants out fine
But I would not touch D lee with a ten foot pole.
Garmfay
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#48 » by Garmfay » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 pm

Bynum for Bosh = Hell Yes. This franchise has never had a traditional bigman with his potential..
Lee = Hell NO. Can not play defense.
Credit to Turbo_Zone
"The Lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep"
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#49 » by dagger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:11 pm

dj-Sequence wrote:Bosh for Bynum??
really now I think that these writers are looking for a story to write...
TO can't talk trade with Lakers they are still in the playoffs.
So how could the deal be close to done.
Also in the same breath D Lee for Bosh???
I guess they think that BC = Babcock! lol
All the crazy trade for garbage players always are being pointed at us...
Bynum I would do only if Bosh says he is leaving.
But from going from being the man to being the 3/4 man in the franchise
I think that is a stretch.
and to be honest I think it makes the Lakers weaker...
But I am not a GM.
Remember the US wants Bosh and thinks that we should give up our face of the franchise
for an oft injured center. If that is the best we can get if He wants out fine
But I would not touch D lee with a ten foot pole.

There is nothing to stop any two teams from talking to each other. They can't execute a deal without Bosh agreeing to it and that has to wait until July 8. But if there is any truth to this rumor, which has been lying around for four months now, then the teams at least talked about this prior to the trade deadline.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Evermore
Banned User

Post#50 » by Evermore » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 pm

C_Money wrote:Why would Bosh go to the Knicks? He wants to win. If he wanted to live in a nice city he would stay in Toronto.

Bosh is clearly interested in becoming a star both on and off the court...and New York provides him a great opportunity for that
mappiah19
Analyst
And1: 1,139

Post#51 » by mappiah19 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Skeebs wrote:I saw him in his Mephis days do more with that team alone then bosh has done in 7 years here.

Really? Once Lorenzen Wright, Battier, Posey, Mike Miller, Jayson Williams, and Bonzi Wells left him?
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#52 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:16 pm

mappiah19 wrote:
Skeebs wrote:I saw him in his Mephis days do more with that team alone then bosh has done in 7 years here.

Really? Once Lorenzen Wright, Battier, Posey, Mike Miller, Jayson Williams, and Bonzi Wells left him?

Thanks, was just going to point that out. And even with that help, it's not like the Grizzlies won a single playoff game while Gasol was there, so I'm not sure how much more Skeebs saw him do.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#53 » by basketball royalty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm with Alfred on this one. Bynum has the potential to be the best or at least second best to Howard in terms of Cs in the NBA. He is a traditional throwback C who commands the paint both offensively and defensively. Add that to his game fitting in better with the pieces on our team and for me this is a no-brainer.

I doubt though, that this deal is done because it would be ridiculous for a team to make a deal 6 months prior to actually making a deal. So many things could have happened in between to have any one of the parties involved change their minds. Too bad, if the deal was on the table we should have made the move and dealt with the publics outcry at the time rather than be behind the eightball now.
props to Turbozone for the sig
I.D.
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#54 » by I.D. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Like many I have my doubts about Bynum, but they are much less than my convictions about David Lee and I'd definitely do the Lakers deal 1000 times over before trading with the Knicks. Bynum is really young even for a big and I think that's what weights best in this trade. One hopes he matures with age as that will go a long way towards him realizing his potential. Add a solid pick and one or two shrewd moves and we may end up a more balanced team, if not as talent. This is an absolute win in terms of losing your best player through sign and trade. What I probably like most is we'd no longer rely on Bargnani to anchor our defence, plus we get even a little bigger down low (assuming Bargnani decides to hang out there once and a while).

I think Derozan puts in a good summer I expect a lot of improvement from him. Hopefully we can unload Jose, not only because I think he is entirely expendable, but because we can take back more in contract value and hopefully that translate to better talent or at least plugs more holes in one go. The big need then would be guard penetration. An offense cannot run through Bargnani and Hedo is losing a step each year (he will quickly become even more redundant, what a disasterous signing). I can hear the calls for a dynamic starting point guard already, especially if Bosh leaves.

Investing in Bynum if we get him should be priority numbers 1, 2 and 3. We'd need him to be a defensive presence, not just physically but vocally and emotionally, if he were to manage that, well, I might just be able to swallow the farce that's been the last 3 years. Who am I kidding? It's more like the better part of 15.

edit: However, something tells me this isn't happening anyway. So...
“In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself.”
Frantz Fanon
HeirCanada10
Pro Prospect
And1: 187

Post#55 » by HeirCanada10 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21 pm

If there serious about this Bosh for Bynum then the lakers should also include a 1st rounder since next yr Bosh has a salary of $17.1M and Bynum has $13.8M so the best i can think of is Bosh for Bynum, plus 2 future 1st round picks then i'll be happy with that.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#56 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Bynum on this team would be intriguiging. I worry however about Bynums health. In Toronto he would be the next option after Bargnani barring any further upgrades. In L.A. he is 3/4th option. If he breaks down for half of the season because every other play is run through him it would be quite a disaster.

With the Bynum scenario we would need to keep Turk to try and use Bynum, Turk just like Howard and Turk in Orlando. It would be great to add Calderon to that deal since L.A. needs a point guard.

No to Lee.
sig by TZ
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#57 » by Los Manos » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 pm

As I've mentioned in another thread, If we got Bynum through a S&T I'd be on the phone with David Kahn and offering Bynum + DeRozan for Jefferson + Rubio.
Skeebs
Banned User

Post#58 » by Skeebs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
mappiah19 wrote:

Thanks, was just going to point that out. And even with that help, it's not like the Grizzlies won a single playoff game while Gasol was there, so I'm not sure how much more Skeebs saw him do.

Ya those guys were allstars. He took that team further than bosh ever has. Bonzi Wells? lmao

If the Raps were in the west we wouldnt have won more than 30 games in any given year with Bosh.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#59 » by andyo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 pm

This would be the best possible return for Bosh IMO, bar none. Huge fan of Bynum and his length. Although he had that "soft" label on him for a while, he's quickly grown out of that IMO. Only concern is his injury problems but this would be one of those moves where we won't be bad enough to tank but have a good young core heading into the future.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#60 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 pm

As I said a couple weeks back Bynum is an injury risk, a next Zbo/David Lee/Joe Barely Cares risk, and a bolting risk (his contract runs out in 2013). The upside is great... probably enough to make me on board with this deal... but there's also a chance after 2012 or 2013 we're thinking about square 1 again

Return to Toronto Raptors