ImageImageImageImageImage

The Doc's Scouting Report - Derrick Favors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Re: The Doc's Scouting Report - Derrick Favors 

Post#21 » by Kevin Willis » Mon May 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:So what's a more valid comparison then? I'm not as impressed with Favors as a top 5 pick right now. He'll be good but he seems like a slower Thomas to with me but with more offensive game. That's why I think McDyess.

Go watch some old McDyess games when he was with Den and Phx, he was just as fast as TT and had just as much hops, he doesn't have TT's wing span though.

The guy I'd compare Favors to is Vin Baker before he learned what an all-you-can-eat buffet was or a taller version of a young Brand. Again, a slight step slower running the floor from the elite athletic PFs but every bit as much in hops, and strength. Plus Favors is long, but I don't think you're that far off with young McDyess other than the speed.

Edit: BTW, I would take Favors over Cousins if I were to be building a frontcourt from scratch. If I'm the Raps and land a top 3 I take Cousins.

OK from what everyone is describing and those videos I can see Vin Baker and a young Brand, which are both not bad. Yeah McDyess was a stud before knee surgery - probaby would've been close to a HOF PF actually. So he's not that good.

Why take Cousins as a Raptor? For his defense next to Bargnani?
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#22 » by Hoopstarr » Mon May 10, 2010 6:47 pm

There was a good reason Blake Griffin was compared to a pre-injury McDyess. Dice was an absolute athletic beast before is knee problems. Favors just doesn't compare.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#23 » by SpaceJam » Mon May 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:There was a good reason Blake Griffin was compared to a pre-injury McDyess. Dice was an absolute athletic beast before is knee problems. Favors just doesn't compare.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQC5g7yezgs[/youtube]

For the kids.
_________
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#24 » by cram » Mon May 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Man...TT in the same breath as Dyess and Kemp? Those guys were athletic monsters. TT is springy, but had nowhere near their strength. Pre-injury Amare is close to Dyess, but Kemp was on another planet.

Favors isn't (athletically) in the same league as any of those guys. Mufasa - i'm sure you mean well, but you can't build an informed scouting report based on youtube videos. Watch some games....Favors is far more grounded than you make him out to be.
bespoke
Senior
And1: 333

Post#25 » by bespoke » Mon May 10, 2010 10:30 pm

to see the word derrick in the title and have the thread not be about muarry is a total let down
just23
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#26 » by just23 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:26 am

Favors will be good and I'd love to have him on this team. Particularly, if he measures 6'10 or better and really is as built as the numbers suggest. Since he's a good shot blocker, he might actually be able to play as a small center. There are quite a few of them now anyway.
The comparisons to Kemp are asking too much of him. Too much of anyone really. For those of you old enough to remember Kemp in his prime, he was an athlete a cut above everyone else at the time. Every single game he had a couple spectacular plays. His highlight reel was something like Lebron's. Not as dominant a scorer, and didn't have the guard skills James has, but his athleticism was of a similar level.
If Favors is close to McDyess in his prime I'd be thrilled to have him in a T.O uniform. I'm hoping for a miracle at the draft lottery myself.
Ripp
General Manager
And1: 324

Post#27 » by Ripp » Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 am

Man....the Shawn Kemp and Dice highlight mixes were nice. Kemp makes Amare look like frikkin Big Baby. What a beast. Dice has roughly Amare-level athleticism.
A Tolkienesque strategy war game made by me: http://www.warlords.co
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#28 » by MEDIC » Tue May 11, 2010 3:28 am

Favors looks pretty athletic (more athletic than Bosh). I'm intrigued.

Kemp was my favorite player in the NBA when he was with Seattle. So damn fast, explosive & powerful. I don't think there has been another player like him.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#29 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 am

Couple notes about the Kemp comparison. When I use that as a comparison, that doesn't mean he's going to BE Kemp or quite as explosive... just that if he turned into a perenniel all-star 19/10 guy or w/e, Kemp or pre injury McDyess are guys his style of game would compare to, as a face-up explosiveness and agility, great catching, one of the best finishers in the league, and while playing d pretty well

Also when I say this is his UPSIDE... it means he's not incredibly likely to reach it... it just takes into the possibility that Favors athleticism has been hidden in the clogged toilet Georgia Tech system, and it really is at that level. Remember he was the top high school recruit in his class.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#30 » by hype_2004 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 am

Too Late Crew wrote:I'll be curious to see how he actually measures out. Is he a true 6 10 or is he really 6 foot 8? He simply doesn't look that big.

I question his frame. Not sure how much weight he can add.

I like him. He reminds me a bit of Bosh. He seems a hard worker. Whoever gets him needs to be able to wait at least a couple years for some physical maturity. If he goes to a team that expects big things out him now they will be dissapointed.

He was about 6'8 225 lbs in senior year with an astounding freakish 9'1 standing reach, now Georgia Tech officials have him @ 6'10 245 lbs assuming 2 inches is added on his reach maybe more a 9 '3 over reach is within probability putting him in the Dwight Howard category in terms of measurables.
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#31 » by Blasphemy » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 pm

He's more of Al Horford type player I think ... any chance the Raps can get him?

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#32 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue May 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Blasphemy wrote:He's more of Al Horford type player I think ... any chance the Raps can get him?

The lottery is less than a week away, we'll find out then. As far as trades to get him go, no, there's no way we're getting Favors without us (or Houston) getting lucky in the lottery.

Return to Toronto Raptors