ImageImageImageImageImage

Official thread for hypothetical FA and D-league ideas

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Official thread for hypothetical FA and D-league ideas 

Post#1 » by Double Helix » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:10 pm

The purpose of this thread is to give you a forum where you can discuss hypothetical free agency issues that might involve the Toronto Raptors. This thread can also work as a, "Wouldn't it be great if we had _____?" Or, "We have to get _____ on the Raptors when he's up in a couple years." Or, "_______ is tearing up the D-league right now!? We should get him." Ultimately, we're hoping to reduce the amount of page 1/2 real estate these kinds of threads seem to take up while still giving you posters a place to discuss where certain players might fit on the Raptors and why.

As this will inevitably become a long thread, any personal insults, severe trolling, inappropriate imagery or racially insensitive comments should be reported (use the report function) so that the appropriate measures can be taken as quickly as possible after investigation. Threads dealing with topics of this nature independently will be merged into this thread. During the off season, a new thread that will deal more with breaking news will probably be created. Trade talk should still go into the official trade thread. Play nice and enjoy this new area where you can talk about upcoming free agents, D-league players who are killing it and who might be wise pick-ups for the Raptors, and just about any other situation where players could be acquired without trading for them.

Thanks,
The Mod Team
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Official thread for hypothetical FA and D-league signings 

Post#2 » by Double Helix » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:10 pm

This thread will be added to the Raptors forum directory.
FirstInkTDot
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,902

Re: Official thread for hypothetical FA and D-league ideas 

Post#3 » by FirstInkTDot » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Wouldn't Pau Gasol Be nice in a Raptors Uni? :)
Or Kyrie Irving
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,269

Post#4 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm

THad Young should be a high priority in the off season.

In HS, this kid was a highly regarded SF prospect along with Durant. While Durant was known as a scorer, Thad was the better 2 way player. Then all went to crap when Paul Hewitt got a hold of him at tech then continued to snowball with the 6ers not knowing what to do with him.

He has physical attributes, youth (will turn 23 this year) and all the intangibles we would like from the SF spot.

He wont get the fanfare that some of the other FA's (Green, Chandler etc..) will get, so we might be able to sneak in and get a deal done at a good price.

DX
Defense: Has prototypical tools for a small forward with his terrific size, length and lateral quickness, but has mostly been asked to defend the power forward position, which he lacks a bit of size for. Gets posted up a fair amount, and has some issues at times, especially against bigger, stronger power forwards. Puts a solid effort in, but lacks experience and fundamentals guarding the post. Seems to have many of the same issues on the perimeter, tends to lose his focus and get beaten off the dribble fairly easily. Too upright at times, out of position or flat-footed in others, Young can make plays thanks to his tremendous natural gifts, but he still has a ways to go before reaching his full potential on this end of the floor.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/tha ... z1BxOApIPJ
http://www.draftexpress.com

Offense: Versatile offensive player who is extremely efficient, yet still lacks polish on his all-around game. Knows his limitations and for the most part sticks to what he does best. Shoots a high percentage inside the arc, and makes a respectable amount of his outside attempts as well. Excellent in transition, regularly beats opponents down the floor. Very effective facing up from the perimeter and blowing by his opponent thanks to his terrific first step.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/tha ... z1BxOTSmWR
http://www.draftexpress.com
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,483

Post#5 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:55 pm

I think Young would be a great fit here. He's putting up a 17.4 PER this year, is a decent defender imo (105 DRtg), scores efficiently (56.9 TS%), and rebounds well (11.2 TRB%, 14.5 DRB%). Plus, as a backup for the Sixers he's not likely to get overpaid the way Chandler/Green probably will.
rapaholic
Junior
And1: 39

Post#6 » by rapaholic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 pm

bboyskinnylegs wrote:I think Young would be a great fit here. He's putting up a 17.4 PER this year, is a decent defender imo (105 DRtg), scores efficiently (56.9 TS%), and rebounds well (11.2 TRB%, 14.5 DRB%). Plus, as a backup for the Sixers he's not likely to get overpaid the way Chandler/Green probably will.

and I definitely think that Young will be an upgrade from Linas... Young is way more agile than Kleiza.
if my statements make no sense to you, you're probably not the only one and yes I may have been drinking ^#(^
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#7 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Thad Young actually plays primarily PF for the Sixers....he added 15 lbs of muscle in the summer to able to play the 4 spot, similar to an Antawn Jamison.

For him to play the SF spot, he'll have to re-establish his long ball (the 3pt shot), 'cause whenever I've seen him play, he rarely takes a 3pter.

He's a smart player though, and as bboyskinnylegs said, is pretty efficient.
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#8 » by HSOB SIRHC » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:51 pm

I feel like this thread is going to take away from the other thread that was created about the off-season. Not too many people are worried about FA 2+ years from now, as shown by the Irving/Chandler/Young/Green talk right now.
Credit to Turbozone
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,825

Post#9 » by itbobby007 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Bump
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,505

Post#10 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:08 pm

It'd be better if we traded for Thad Young before he hit the market. Owning his bird rights would make it easier to negotiate with. I think we do have the assets to get him too.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#11 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Hypothetically - we should get Rubio at any cost short of Bargs/Demar/Davis. I would even give Amir or Weems or maybe even... wait for it... Kleiza.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by 666 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 am

JASON WILLIAMS IS AVALIABLE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y615OnHyzs[/youtube]

Tank with some entertainment.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#13 » by zilby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:47 am

Kyle Weaver anyone?

D-League atm. Plays some D, at least.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#14 » by Kenyon009 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 am

Sign Chandler for 10 million a year for 5 years he's been improving every year and he is only 23 years old the Raptors would have him until his prime. Then I would look into signing K. Brown as the reserve center, followed by signing Bill Walker. Then the pick could come to use as well maybe trade it for a piece?
matchewy
Sophomore

Speaking of "perfect fits" 

Post#15 » by matchewy » Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:15 pm

It seems more and more likely that Thaddeus Young will not be resigned this year, based off his play/role and phillies roster. Ive watched this guy a lot and i really like his game...This guy would be a great fit for our team. Hes still young and shows promise that's really only been hindered by playing for the 76ers organization. I think he could be a great addition to our young core moving forward and also to a player of his caliber, in his posistion, see Toronto as a great opportunity to hone his skills...not to mention he doesnt really fit the mold of one of those players to be drastically overpaid

Thoughts?
matchewy
Sophomore

Re: Speaking of "perfect fits" 

Post#16 » by matchewy » Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:19 pm

imagine our offseason free agent signings consisted of Thaddeus and Deandre Jordan...very possible and mouth watering...
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#17 » by [SJJ] » Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:19 pm

Sorry to derail for a second... by when I first saw the title I definitely replaced fits with another word.

I like Thad quite a bit and I think he'd fit in quite well on this team, its definitely something we have to look at.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Double Helix » Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:27 pm

[SJJ] wrote:Sorry to derail for a second... by when I first saw the title I definitely replaced fits with another word.

I like Thad quite a bit and I think he'd fit in quite well on this team, its definitely something we have to look at.

It's too early in the morning for me to notice the difference between an f and at too. :laugh:
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Double Helix » Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:28 pm

PS - This thread is going to be moved into the hypothetical offseason idea thread.

EDIT - Fellow mods, I have to run and catch my train. Can somebody else please move this thread?

Thanks,
DH
Scouta
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#20 » by Scouta » Wed Feb 9, 2011 12:41 pm

[SJJ] wrote:Sorry to derail for a second... by when I first saw the title I definitely replaced fits with another word.

:o
And I thought I was the only one.

Return to Toronto Raptors