ImageImageImageImageImage

The Jonas Valanciunas Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Are you happy with the Raptors selection 5th overall?

Yes!
51%
No!
27%
Not sure yet...
22%

Total votes: 594

Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Re: The Jonas Valanciunas Thread 

Post#1381 » by Kayjay » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:05 am

thing is, i'm thoroughly unimpressed with walker's shooting percentages and knight's relative greenness at everything but shooting

next year's lotto is probably a better idea if we want a pg
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,513

Post#1382 » by S.W.A.N » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:31 am

I was out of town when the draft was going on in an area with no cell service (talk about maddening) and when I found out that we got Val I had instant perma grin.

Seriously this guy has a chance to be an absolute steal.

As a skinny 18 year old playing against men he was able to be one of the best rebounders and finishers in all of europe. He has good defensive instincts and shoots 80-90 percent free throws.

Now add 20-30 pounds of muscle (very very realistic request) and he will be beastly.

I love hearing the Tyson Chandler comparisions coming from scouts. I not thinking he will be as good as Tyson defensively but am very confident he will be better offensively.

I honestly think the best comparision for Val's upside might be that of a 7'0 260 pound Amir Johnson.
Not the same type of athlete but will do the same things that Amir does so well. Rebounding,running pick and roll, playing solid man to man defense along with solid help side. The biggest difference between the two is size. A skinny 18 year old Val wwights 15 pounds more than Amir.

I also pretty happy that he is going to be in europe next season. Lockout seems like a certainty now, and to not lose a year of development is nice.

This guy is going to be a stud for years to come and be the anchor that we have never had here. I have wet dreams about Val playing along side Davis and Johnson (ya he complements Bargs as well) the Defense and Rebounding that we are going to have is just going to be huge.

Those three guys (Val, Davis, Amir) are going to wreck havoc in a good zone defense. The length and weak side blocking that they provide is going to confound teams when Casey gets them trained up.
We the North
LithuanianOne
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#1383 » by LithuanianOne » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:53 am

I think me and other Lithuanian posters will help you guys follow him next season. We can provide links to games, statistics, his interviews and etc. What I'm wondering about right now is if we post a livestream link do we break realgm rules and get warned ? I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to post a livestream link of an NBA game but what if it's Euroleague game or Lithuanias national basketball league ?
knicksfan5494 wrote:ANd by NO means are Monroe and Cousins better than Fields. Wall probably, though.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#1384 » by SkywalkerAC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:54 am

the guy plays the game from 8' to 11'. he ALWAYS has his hands up and with his length that just means you pay. he always seems to be moving towards the basket (reminds me of the way Hakeem taught Yao to lean to the rack to make the hoop) and there's no question that he will be an active and hardworking player.

personally, i love that he can play above and below the rim. it's a lot more efficient to stay close to the ground and use your length and stability to put up shots that are difficult to block but it's also vital to be able to go up strong when the opportunity is there. i really think Jonas can play both ways. go up strong and quick or use the unorthodox finish when need be (much like Amir does).

when you look at a center prospect, you have to look at their ability to have their forearms up and around the basket area. jonas is all up in that ****.

and the truly incredible thing about this whole process is that it does not end with the draft. most of these guys have been working out for the the draft and the draft only, their college careers are over and they will be left to flounder in the player's organization.

meanwhile, Jonas, buyout or not, goes on to camp after camp.training with and playing for the U19 team AND the senior team. and then probably back to Rytas in what will be the best league in the world whilst most of the NBA populace is still smoking weed and playing video games and twittering bout the whole sperience.

it's a win-win. i really don't see it not working out. this **** is all about timing and right now it looks like BC has it locked down. he's got great flexibility through these next two offseasons and if he adds the right guard play (steve nash alert) to this team, who's to say what might happen.

this is happening (the prognostication):

Nash/Bayless
DD
JJ
Bargs/Amir
Val/Davis
raps91
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#1385 » by raps91 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:18 am

Live Free wrote:

International style of play is completely different from NBA gameplay, i'm not impressed.

So is college ball. JV played with more grown ass men than either Kemba or Knight.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#1386 » by barrist » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:16 am

Live Free wrote:in the name of all things that is right, im tryna find a way to be satisfied with this pick but can't. It's brutal watching posters trying to sell this guy as the next pau off of a couple youtube highlights.

International style of play is completely different from NBA gameplay, i'm not impressed. Passing up on Knight/Walker is a huge mistake. I'm actually quite sick to my stomache thinking about it

It's not just a minority of posters happy with the pick. And many have watched JV play in full games, not just highlights. Not to mention most around the league see him as having one of the biggest upsides. Donnie Nelson was on the fan590 raving about the pick, saying he would have done the exact same in BC's position. Ric Bucher said it was the steal of the draft at #5. So it's not a nobody that they drafted, this guy has been on the radar of teams as a top prospect since he was probably 16 years old.

I would have been happy with Knight (less happy with Kemba), but there's likely a PG as good as Knight in next year's draft. Not sure if there's a center in that year's draft as intriguing as JV.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#1387 » by SkywalkerAC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:19 am

one has to think that JV is one of the most well-scouted international big man of the modern era, no?

AB was scouted plenty but he wasn't playing a traditional big man role in europe, was he?

Darko wasn't well-scouted at all.

Yao's body of work was pretty minimal.
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#1388 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:26 am

SkywalkerAC wrote:one has to think that JV is one of the most well-scouted international big man of the modern era, no?

AB was scouted plenty but he wasn't playing a traditional big man role in europe, was he?

Darko wasn't well-scouted at all.

Yao's body of work was pretty minimal.

And he comes from the most basketball crazy country in the world. Those people know basketball. Even in the U.S., basketball takes a back seat to the NFL. Rebuilding the right way--like Seattle/OKC---takes time, patience, and intestinal fortitude. I'm impressed that Colangelo had the guts not to make the popular choice, but the right choice.
“The North Remembers"
mcray
Junior
And1: 0

Post#1389 » by mcray » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:46 am

JV is back in Lithuania and apparently hes joining our U19 team this evening(of course not Canadian time but Lithuanian time) for a friendly world championship game. Game should start at 19:10 GMT+2 not sure yet.

[EDITED]

Game starts 12:05 Toronto time.
So can I post stream links here or not? Someone said that forum rules don't allow it is that true?
barrist
RealGM

Post#1390 » by barrist » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:25 pm

give us a hint lol.. maybe something we can google?
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#1391 » by WhatsaTDot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Live Free wrote:in the name of all things that is right, im tryna find a way to be satisfied with this pick but can't. It's brutal watching posters trying to sell this guy as the next pau off of a couple youtube highlights.

International style of play is completely different from NBA gameplay, i'm not impressed. Passing up on Knight/Walker is a huge mistake. I'm actually quite sick to my stomache thinking about it

Calmdownbro.jpg

Seriously, if you're sick to you're stomach over a draft pick, you've got issues you need to sort out.

This place is insufferable.
mcray
Junior

Post#1392 » by mcray » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:40 pm

barrist wrote:give us a hint lol.. maybe something we can google?

I don't think that you will be able to find it on Google. there are no links at this moment only advertisements on website. The thing is that the stream itself is legal one of Lithuanian public TV websites is going to stream it so technically it shouldn't cause any problems.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#1393 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:43 pm

mcray wrote:JV is back in Lithuania and apparently hes joining our U19 team this evening(of course not Canadian time but Lithuanian time) for a friendly world championship game. Game should start at 19:10 GMT+2 not sure yet.

[EDITED]

Game starts 12:05 Toronto time.
So can I post stream links here or not? Someone said that forum rules don't allow it is that true?

I depends, if it's an illegal stream off of some unknown website then you can't post it. If it's from the FIBA website then you can. If anything ask the mods.
barrist
RealGM

Post#1394 » by barrist » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:45 pm

mcray wrote:

I don't think that you will be able to find it on Google. there are no links at this moment only advertisements on website. The thing is that the stream itself is legal one of Lithuanian public TV websites is going to stream it so technically it shouldn't cause any problems.

I say go for it, worst comes to worst a mod deletes the post. hah. although if its a Lithuanian stream, folks here in Canada may not be able to watch it if its region-locked.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#1395 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:47 pm

mcray wrote:

What team is Lithuania facing anyways?
mcray
Junior

Post#1396 » by mcray » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:49 pm

DG88 wrote:
mcray wrote:

What team is Lithuania facing anyways?

Lithuania vs Australia it's a friendly game nothing special.
LithuanianOne
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#1397 » by LithuanianOne » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Well the link is going to be official and 100% legal. The network that has the rights to show these Global Games is going to broadcast it on their TV station and official website. Actually the main sponsor for Valanciunas team in Lithuania is "Lietuvos Rytas" news network - they have a very popular daily news paper, news website and their own TV station. It's no coincidence that they showed U -18 games last summer and they will be showing U -19 tournament this summer. More exposure to young basketball talent that one day just might end up on the team they are sponsoring :)
knicksfan5494 wrote:ANd by NO means are Monroe and Cousins better than Fields. Wall probably, though.
sv-x-as
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,074

Post#1398 » by sv-x-as » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Im not sure if he'll play tough, he sayed he needs some rest.
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#1399 » by WhatsaTDot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 pm

or not

This place is insufferable.
mcray
Junior

Post#1400 » by mcray » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:48 pm

sv-x-as wrote:Im not sure if he'll play tough, he sayed he needs some rest.

http://www.lrytas.lt/videonews/?id=13090004381308094565

English speaking community this interview is not in English. sv-x-as as JV said now it's only 1 o'clock game starts 6 o clock I'll sleep 2 hours and I'll go to Panevezys(<--City) and play xD. This guy is workaholic :D.

Return to Toronto Raptors