ImageImageImageImageImage

The Jonas Valanciunas Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Are you happy with the Raptors selection 5th overall?

Yes!
51%
No!
27%
Not sure yet...
22%

Total votes: 594

Pablonis
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: The Jonas Valanciunas Thread 

Post#1361 » by Pablonis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:20 am

TheRealDeal wrote:Is Val playing in the 2011 European Basketball Championship? Lithuania is hosting the event in August.

Possible, as he's invited to the camp, but doubtfull since Lithuania is loaded with quality bigs.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#1362 » by DG88 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:33 am

Pablonis wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:Is Val playing in the 2011 European Basketball Championship? Lithuania is hosting the event in August.

Possible, as he's invited to the camp, but doubtfull since Lithuania is loaded with quality bigs.

He's playing for the U19 Lithuanian team right?
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#1363 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 am

DG88 wrote:
yayotube wrote:Exactly, plus the added bonus of having a gifted center work on his game and improve that much more so he's NBA ready by the time he comes over, all without him affecting our wins or losses. The same group as last year pretty much although I don't know what BC has up his sleeve with FA or trades, but I doubt anything could get us into treadmill territory that fast.

I think we need to focus on getting another lottery pick for next year - not even a top 10 but even a late lottery pick should be good, the draft class looks stacked (as of now).

I'm calling it now we're getting Kabongo :D

I sure as hell hope not.

The true elite franchises have elite wings and post players. Plus I got love for Myck; I really do BUT he's been pretty underwhelming in games against other elite talent. I have a bad feeling he's going to be fairly disappointing. I have much more faith that an elite SF takes us to the "promised land" then black Steve Nash (if he's extremely lucky but I don't see it happening).

I compare

Bayless
DeRozan
Miller
Davis
Jonas

vs

Kabongo
DeRozan
FA?!! or JJ
Davis
Jonas

...and it's not even close....Team A is ready to go; Team B still needs some work.
Pablonis
Freshman

Post#1364 » by Pablonis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:44 am

DG88 wrote:
Pablonis wrote:

He's playing for the U19 Lithuanian team right?

He definitely is. Lithuania is the team to beat at the U19 world championship.

They'll play a friendly against U19 USA in a few days. Jonas should be back by then.
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#1365 » by Jonn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:10 am

I took some time to watch his interviews and the press conference that happened this morning. And I have completely changed my tune on him. What he said about him being the same player he was before he drafted that he is now. That really caught my ear. Hes really humble, hes really excited to be here.

And what I see is a really hard worker. I was really tough to judge him. And all I really needed to do was listen. Obviously we won't see him this season. But I am excited for his debut like everyone else. The video looks good, but all these guys look good on video. It's the character and the drive I look for. And he really impressed me.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#1366 » by dagger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:13 am

At one point Rytas was considering sending Valanciunas to another team for next season, but now they are going to be in the Euroleague qualification tournament, and have been building a pretty good squad. So he is staying.

Now the fun part (for us).

The new head coach of Rytas is Aleksander Dzikic.

Dzikic was an assistant on Dwane Casey's staff in Minnesota.

Too good to be true?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
yayotube
Pro Prospect
And1: 59

Post#1367 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:16 am

dagger wrote:At one point Rytas was considering sending Valanciunas to another team for next season, but now they are going to be in the Euroleague qualification tournament, and have been building a pretty good squad. So he is staying.

Too good to be true?

That is too good to be true wow. I guess we can look fwd to him working on getting stronger and being a post bruiser. Casey and BC can implement their development plan overseas too.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1368 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:16 am

dagger wrote:At one point Rytas was considering sending Valanciunas to another team for next season, but now they are going to be in the Euroleague qualification tournament, and have been building a pretty good squad. So he is staying.

Too good to be true?

The Stars have aligned for us.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#1369 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:18 am

Jonn wrote:I took some time to watch his interviews and the press conference that happened this morning. And I have completely changed my tune on him. What he said about him being the same player he was before he drafted that he is now. That really caught my ear. Hes really humble, hes really excited to be here.

And what I see is a really hard worker. I was really tough to judge him. And all I really needed to do was listen. Obviously we won't see him this season. But I am excited for his debut like everyone else. The video looks good, but all these guys look good on video. It's the character and the drive I look for. And he really impressed me.

It's ok....just finish off that crow and join us!

All is forgotten and forgiven.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmwisY5fkw[/youtube]
yayotube
Pro Prospect

Post#1370 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:24 am

JamesNaismith wrote:
Jonn wrote:I took some time to watch his interviews and the press conference that happened this morning. And I have completely changed my tune on him. What he said about him being the same player he was before he drafted that he is now. That really caught my ear. Hes really humble, hes really excited to be here.

I was PISSED I wanted KNight or Kemba at #5 but watching that full game of him posted on Youtube and more footage, scouting reports, analyst reviews completely changed my tune and then the presser was the nail on the head. This dude was the #1 C prospect and can actually play defense unlike Kanter (who I was on the bandwagon for) and has a chance to develop a serious post game. Why? He has big hands, 7'4 wingspan and is a legit 7 foot, fairly mobile, shotblocker, relentless rebounder, has a soft touch around the basket, a high motor and a good shoulder on his head. Plus another year of development overseas before he gets here. Plus his new coach at Rytas will be Dwayne Casey's old assistant according to dagger. All this is amazing considering he shouldn't have even been available at 5. I like Kanter a lot but I think in a few years, Utah is going to wish they took this guy 3rd instead.
highness
Banned User
And1: 31

Post#1371 » by highness » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:27 am

yayotube wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:

I was PISSED I wanted KNight or Kemba at #5 but watching that full game of him posted on Youtube and more footage, scouting reports, analyst reviews completely changed my tune and then the presser was the nail on the head. This dude was the #1 C prospect and can actually play defense unlike Kanter (who I was on the bandwagon for) and has a chance to develop a serious post game. Why? He has big hands, 7'4 wingspan and is a legit 7 foot, fairly mobile, shotblocker, relentless rebounder, has a soft touch around the basket, a high motor and a good shoulder on his head. Plus another year of development overseas before he gets here. Plus his new coach at Rytas will be Dwayne Casey's old assistant according to dagger. All this is amazing considering he shouldn't have even been available at 5. I like Kanter a lot but I think in a few years, Utah is going to wish they took this guy 3rd instead.

Can you link to full game please
yayotube
Pro Prospect

Post#1372 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:29 am

highness wrote:Can you link to full game please

FIBA U18
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypexEZ8BFxk[/youtube]
highness
Banned User
And1: 31

Post#1373 » by highness » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:36 am

yayotube wrote:
highness wrote:Can you link to full game please

FIBA U18
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypexEZ8BFxk[/youtube]

Thanks man. But yea I wanted Kemba or Knight too and was furious when we picked JV. I refused to watch any interviews and missed his press conference today. But after hearing how he isn't anything like Bargnani, I decided to watch clips of him and came away somewhat impressed. The NBA is a whole different monster but none the less you can tell that he is very talented.
yayotube
Pro Prospect

Post#1374 » by yayotube » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:37 am

highness wrote:Thanks man. But yea I wanted Kemba or Knight too and was furious when we picked JV. I refused to watch any interviews and missed his press conference today. But after hearing how he isn't anything like Bargnani, I decided to watch clips of him and came away somewhat impressed. The NBA is a whole different monster but none the less you can tell that he is very talented.

Once I was in the state of your username the appeal of Valanciunas grew on me
Walid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,611

Post#1375 » by Walid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:40 am

Quite OT, didn't want to start a new thread but, does anyone else believe Donatas Motiejunas will be a good player in the future? Seems like he's got the will and fire inside of him, quite the opposite of my main man Bargnani but it looks like he can be a threat in this league for sure...
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#1376 » by Parataxis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:11 am

yayotube wrote:Exactly, plus the added bonus of having a gifted center work on his game and improve that much more so he's NBA ready by the time he comes over, all without him affecting our wins or losses. The same group as last year pretty much although I don't know what BC has up his sleeve with FA or trades, but I doubt anything could get us into treadmill territory that fast.

The more I think about it, the more I'd love an older veteran centre (somebody like Camby, tbh) who we could sign/extend for about three years. One year now to play with the team, and two years to mentor Val in his rookie/sophmore seasons. By the time Val's ready for the big show, our veteran will be moving on, or signing for a minimum to be a backup. Ideal.
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#1377 » by WhatsaTDot » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:39 am

Good to see you come around on the pick.

This place is insufferable.
Junkball
Rookie

Post#1378 » by Junkball » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:14 am

Physically, JV is a slightly bigger Chris Bosh. Physically, Kanter is a slightly longer Rafael Araujo. Both of them have better motors than their counterparts. JV is well-behind in the ball handling department (even 'though you don't see Chris Bosh doing crossovers), but Kanter is well ahead of his counterpart.

Athleticism is pretty important in the NBA, so I'm happy that JV dropped to the Raptors, rather than Kanter.
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Post#1379 » by Kayjay » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:32 am

nicknames:

jonas "liberty" valanciunas
johnny valentine

i like him as the upside pick, but i've only seen a few rytas games in the last two days. i'm impressed with his energy level, but his defensive awareness isn't superb, he frequently overrotates and gets out of position. that along with a high centre of gravity (v. long legs) and an average width and frame, i'm not sure if he'll ever be a great man defender, esp. with how often he falls for fakes.

i am enamoured with his shotblocking potential though, he seems to get at least a couple healthy swats each game and shows good timing on contests, displaying a good second and third jump.

timing the roll on the pnr and finishing layins are probably his biggest assets. imo, for all the times pau gasol or noah are mentioned as his ceiling, he's just not as nimble as either. even marc gasol might be quicker. i like that he sprints down the court nearly every time though.

i hope he gets more playing time next year. if i watched d-league games for jawai, i can watch lithuanian/euroleague games for valanciunas.

e: also the **** needs to stop fouling
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#1380 » by Live Free » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 am

in the name of all things that is right, im tryna find a way to be satisfied with this pick but can't. It's brutal watching posters trying to sell this guy as the next pau off of a couple youtube highlights.

International style of play is completely different from NBA gameplay, i'm not impressed. Passing up on Knight/Walker is a huge mistake. I'm actually quite sick to my stomache thinking about it

Return to Toronto Raptors