ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors NBA Draft Thread: Moe Harkless

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Re: Raptors NBA Draft Thread: Moe Harkless 

Post#61 » by Dalek » Sat Jun 2, 2012 12:30 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Dalek wrote:I don't think he will be as good as JJ now, but in three years at 22 (turning 19 in May), he should be much better. His jumpshot is not broken, he is always in attack mode, and he is a high energy guy. The best thing about him is he is a vocal leader. I think he has that 'IT' factor. I could see him top out as a Rudy Gay type player.

Right now he is much too light, and needs to work on his game. If you want immediate production he might not be the guy. But, he is a very prospect in my opinion.

Kid is a major project, it's not a guarantee he'll be better than James Johnson 3-4 yrs from now and surely not in the same league at the moment. We can't wait for another rookie to develop while we have a much heralded rookie coming in next season that requires the full attention of the coaching/training staff. I highly doubt Colangelo has the patience to draft another project considering the pressure to win next season, I`d say we either move up in the draft via trade or trade the pick for a proven vet SF like Iguodala/Gay.

I am with you about getting Rudy Gay and foregoing the developmental curve of Harkless. I just think he shows a higher ceiling than most prospects because of his length, athleticism, leadership skills, and defensive potential. I am not sure we can get a SF of Rudy Gay and even Iggy's caliber for an 8th pick. To me, if it is going to happen it would have happened already by now.
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#62 » by Test of Wills » Sat Jun 2, 2012 4:49 am

What's this new found fascination with Harkless?

Could some one shed some light on this prospect
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#63 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 2, 2012 5:07 am

The only thing I can gather is Harkless is a tough defender, is fairly well rounded and has a strong/aggressive personality but on the flip side he's not a very explosive athlete and not that great of a ballhandler. I think he can turn out solid but I'm definitely nowhere near as high on him as some people are and think the Gay comparison is off as a lot of RG's game is based on his athleticism and Gay BECAME very skilled which is the last assumption you want to make of any prospect.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_1alVOQos8[/youtube]
Lauzy Lau
Junior
And1: 28

Post#64 » by Lauzy Lau » Sat Jun 2, 2012 6:08 am

Moe Harkless is an interesting candidate. However, given the current structure of the NBA, I think most SF's like to have the wing have range from 3 (which I don't believe Harkless has), and the ability to be a defensive stopper (he'll need to gain some mass and improve his basketball IQ). I don't know that much about this kid, however he looks like a project and would be a stretch at 8. I also think this guy would have a tendency to foul like crazy and might be a bit too young for our team.
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#65 » by Blasphemy » Sat Jun 2, 2012 1:34 pm

Moe Harkless = Paul George

wouldn't mind him at all, looks like a good prospect with great potential at the 3!

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
BillyGM
Analyst
And1: 1,175

Post#66 » by BillyGM » Sat Jun 2, 2012 1:41 pm

Harkless is only 19 years old, he can develope that 3pt shot or not. Very valuable pick at 15-20 range.
DraftExpress
What's funny is that I had lunch with Terrence Ross' agent yesterday. We talked about every possible scenario. Toronto never came up.
BillyGM
Analyst

Post#67 » by BillyGM » Thu Jun 7, 2012 6:46 pm

Was the best player in the combine today.
DraftExpress
What's funny is that I had lunch with Terrence Ross' agent yesterday. We talked about every possible scenario. Toronto never came up.
BillyGM
Analyst

Post#68 » by BillyGM » Thu Jun 7, 2012 6:51 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA

Moe Harkless says --- "I think potential is starting to be my middle name... hearing that a lot"

Moe Harkless "I think I'm like Paul George."

NBA Guru ‏@NBAGuru

Moe Harkless swishing jumpers left & right. Also has a high release point. Very impressive. http://yfrog.com/nypj1oj

Maurice Harkless  ‏@moe_harkless

Crazy last year I was with @GothamHoops was watching this in the basement and now I'm here #NBACombine

When you have high expectations ... You get disappointed ... So don't expect anything

Daniel Martin ‏@DanielJMartin_

Fran Fraschilla says Moe Harkless could be "an absolute steal" in the back 15 picks of the first round. #stjbb

Orlando want Moe Harkless to replace Hedo and J-Rich?

Moe Harkless on why Shaq is all-time favorite player: "He's funny.""

Moe Harkless impressive at the Draft Combine. Good target for the @Raptors at the 8th spot if they keep the pick

Harkless is going to be one of the best players out of this draft. Size, athletic and a scorer

@GoodmanCBS: Moe Harkless was very impressive here earlier today. Shot it well and played with intensity. #stjbb
DraftExpress
BillyGM
Analyst

Post#69 » by BillyGM » Thu Jun 7, 2012 7:37 pm

One player that continues to be undervalued is St. John’s forward Moe Harkless. The 6-8 beanpole reportedly has a 7-2 wingspan and enough athleticism to make teams think twice before dismissing him as too much of a project.
DraftExpress
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,780

Post#70 » by Zeno » Thu Jun 7, 2012 7:56 pm

When you have high expectations ... You get disappointed ... So don't expect anything

Sounds like he fits with the raptors.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Aidin
Freshman
And1: 23

Post#71 » by Aidin » Thu Jun 7, 2012 11:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79N_RIjkPjg&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Credit to TurboZone
SwiftyV
Sixth Man
And1: 1,682

Post#72 » by SwiftyV » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:19 pm

In one of the interviews posted on Raptors.com he says he is supposed to visit Toronto for a workout.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#73 » by dagger » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:05 pm

‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @accfanto: --- > MKG is physically more developed. He is a better defender. Harkless is a much better offensive player. More upside.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
JamesNaismith
Banned User

Post#74 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm trying to understand the fascination with Harkless (help me out dagger)....I mean that sincerely.

I watch more and more footage on him and I don't understand why he's considered "high upside" its not like he's incredibly talented OR very physically gifted/athletic. For the most part what I see is a tough, scrappy young player with good length and good, hard nosed attitude which is obviously a great personal trait but that's more an issue of character than talents a player can bring to a team. Seriously help me out....I'm not getting why you're so high on this kid other than his character.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#75 » by dagger » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:39 pm

He played power forward for St. John's because he's 6'9" and they had no one taller. So he didn't shoot the ball much and he played inside against older, more phyiscally robust guys. Now he's moving to SF, his NBA position (unlike Perry Jones who may well be a tweener, scouts are unanimous that Harkless has the body type and athleticism for a 3 not a 4), and he's starting to shoot a lot more. He been working on his shot for two months and has taken it out to the NBA three point line with success.

He is more of a project than Harrison Barnes, and he needs to bulk up a bit (though not in the way Ed Davis or Jonas Valanciunas have to add mass to deal with NBA big men). But he has seriously good offensive upside and plays strong, if somewhat gambling-style D.

Steve Kyler was at Chicago and I'll let him tell you a bit more. By the way, Kyler has us taking Harkless at #8.

@stevekylerNBA
RT @downsouthswaggr: ---> I compare Moe to Jrue Holiday... he'll need time, but in three years could be one of the best in the class

@stevekylerNBA
RT @kowabanga: Harkless is also super smart... super humble... he is a yes sir, no sir kind of guy that wants to be great.

‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @kowabanga: ---> Harkless is a little Rudy gay and little Kevin Durant... Junior versions of both guys.

@stevekylerNBA
@accfanto: in draft value, is there much difference between Harkless and MKG? ---> I think both are solid guys - both play in the NBA for 10 years.

@stevekylerNBA
@accfanto: in draft value, is there much difference?---> MKG physically can play in the NBA tomorrow... Moe will need some time.

‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @kowabanga: so why is he listed at post-15 in some mock drafts? ---> too much potential... teams in the top 10 need help now
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#76 » by basketball royalty » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank goodness. Never heard of this guy and have been completely uninterested in this pick because all I really want is MKG. Now I have some hope if we do end up keeping the pick. If he has the potential he seems to have I have no problem reaching for him at 8 because I don't like much in this draft outside of MKG or Barnes. Beals and Lamb are good too but don't fill the void as well as a long defensive SF with a motor would.
props to Turbozone for the sig
BillyGM
Analyst

Post#77 » by BillyGM » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:37 pm

DRAFTEXPRESS:
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 1993 SF Height w/shoes 6' 7.5" Wingspan 7' 0" Standing Reach 8' 8.5" Body Fat 7.0 Best Case: Andre Iguodala
Moe Harkless 1993 SF Height w/shoes 6' 8.75" Wingspan 7' 0" Standing Reach 8' 7.5" Body Fat 5.3 Best Case: Trevor Ariza
DraftExpress
JamesNaismith
Banned User

Post#78 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:40 pm

LOL funny that Ariza was the guy Harkless reminded me of with more toughness but I didn't wanna jump the gun. Probably why I'm not a fan of drafting him...I can't think of a better comparison or see one..yet.
BillyGM
Analyst

Post#79 » by BillyGM » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:41 pm

JamesNaismith wrote:LOL funny that Ariza was the guy Harkless reminded me of with more toughness but I didn't wanna jump the gun. Probably why I'm not a fan of drafting him...I can't think of a better comparison or see one..yet.

But I was watching Draft Combine live stream and I saw him shoot lights out even from 3pt range while guys like Quincy were shooting bricks.
DraftExpress
JamesNaismith
Banned User

Post#80 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:52 pm

BillyGM wrote:
JamesNaismith wrote:LOL funny that Ariza was the guy Harkless reminded me of with more toughness but I didn't wanna jump the gun. Probably why I'm not a fan of drafting him...I can't think of a better comparison or see one..yet.

But I was watching Draft Combine live stream and I saw him shoot lights out even from 3pt range while guys like Quincy were shooting bricks.

Ariza was a decent 3pt shooter at one point as well with the Lakers and Magic.

As for mentioning Quincy, that's cool....the difference is one guy is projected at the end of the 1st rd to 2nd rd and the other were discussing with our EIGHTH pick overall. I think we should hold a much higher standard to the top 10 pick right?!

Return to Toronto Raptors