ImageImageImageImageImage

2012-13 Toronto Raptors Trade Idea Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,485

Re: 2012-13 Toronto Raptors Trade Idea Thread 

Post#1321 » by dagger » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Zeno wrote:
dagger wrote:Watching Jose destroy Lin today made me wonder if we couldn't trade Jose to Houston for three expirings - Cook, Aldrich and Douglas - plus a pick or two. The pick could be lightly protected, you know, top 3 in 2013, top 2 in 2014.... I'd get a kick out of the revenge factor if nothing else. Also, if Houston makes the playoffs, it won't be much outside the lottery. A 2014 mid-teen pick could be combined with our own.

You might be able to get the pick if you didn't want the expirings or maybe a mixture. Both expirings and picks I strongly doubt.

I don't doubt it at all and wouldn't do it otherwise. The three I mentionned aren't even playing, and the first would be protected. Houston is going to spin its wheels for years with Lin, and Jose can mentor him in the dark arts of playing PG. With Jose, that team is a playoff lock, maybe not a lock to advanced, but a lock to make it, and he makes their inside game stronger. They had almost nothing going inside unless Harden created it.

HOU also doesn't have a lot of long-term money beyond Asik, Lin and Harden. Delfino's is the only deal that carries over to next season. Every other longer deal is rookie scale. Unless they want to pawn off Royce White, but no one is taking on that deal.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,654

Post#1322 » by witnessraps » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:59 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Houston doesn't own their pick. Think it's with Atlanta
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,662

Post#1323 » by Zeno » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:01 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:Until Houston adds another star with Harden I don't see them parting with picks.

Those picks will probably be leveraged in combination with some other young players on their roster for upgrades, not patchwork....trading away picks for temorary satisfaction is more of a Colangelo move than Morey.

They might do Jose+Anderson for Lin+Delfino and a pick or two. They might give up picks for the space necessary to go after the star they want.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,662

Post#1324 » by Zeno » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 pm

dagger wrote:
Zeno wrote:
dagger wrote:Watching Jose destroy Lin today made me wonder if we couldn't trade Jose to Houston for three expirings - Cook, Aldrich and Douglas - plus a pick or two. The pick could be lightly protected, you know, top 3 in 2013, top 2 in 2014.... I'd get a kick out of the revenge factor if nothing else. Also, if Houston makes the playoffs, it won't be much outside the lottery. A 2014 mid-teen pick could be combined with our own.

You might be able to get the pick if you didn't want the expirings or maybe a mixture. Both expirings and picks I strongly doubt.

I don't doubt it at all and wouldn't do it otherwise. The three I mentionned aren't even playing, and the first would be protected. Houston is going to spin its wheels for years with Lin, and Jose can mentor him in the dark arts of playing PG. With Jose, that team is a playoff lock, maybe not a lock to advanced, but a lock to make it, and he makes their inside game stronger. They had almost nothing going inside unless Harden created it.

HOU also doesn't have a lot of long-term money beyond Asik, Lin and Harden. Delfino's is the only deal that carries over to next season. Every other longer deal is rookie scale. Unless they want to pawn off Royce White, but no one is taking on that deal.

If they'd do it, I'd make that deal right away, but I'd suspect the pick would be completely lottery protected.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Post#1325 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 pm

I've been fascinated by the idea of the Thunder intentionally rolling over Toronto's draft obligation to 2014, because of financial reasons. Not paying the 3-3.7 mil that a rookie salary from 4th-6th takes, would be a big help to OKC's luxury tax/resigning Kevin Martin problem next year, potentially saving them 6-7.4 mil once the luxury tax is taken into account. But here is a few deals involving other pieces:

Trade 1

Toronto trades:
Landry Fields
Aaron Gray
TOR 2013 2nd

Oklahoma City trades:
Kendrick Perkins
Reggie Jackson

+ 2013 TOR 1st becomes top 55 protected

Perkins and Jackson make 1.3 million more than Fields and Gray next season, which with the savings of not paying the 2013 rookie, comes out to 4.3-5.1 million if the pick is between 4 and 6. In 2014-2015 the Thunder save 3.4 million of payroll by having Fields instead of Perkins. As for this season Gray fills the Perkins role (big C who can defend the post) and is probably an offensive upgrade. Fields maybe has a shot to contribute too. The trade also includes a swap of Toronto's 2nd for Jackson, which is very similar to the James Johnson to Toronto deal, grabbing an athletically gifted young player who hasn't gotten any PT yet because of how good the players in front of him are.

Trade 2

Toronto trades:
Linas Kleiza
Aaron Gray

Oklahoma City trades:
Kendrick Perkins
Perry Jones III
Reggie Jackson
OKC 2013 1st

+ 2013 TOR 1st becomes top 55 protected

OKC pays a bigger price here but fix all their problems financially. Perkins, Jones III and Jackson make 3.7 million less than Kleiza and Gray in 2013-2014, which with moving both TOR and OKC 1sts (combining for 4-4.7 ish mil), ends up saving them something like 7.7-8.4 mil next season and by my math leaves them about 9.3 million under the luxury tax before signing Martin. Then in 2014-2015 they dump Perkins' 9.2 mil salary which is huge for them. Overall they still keep their blue chip assets like Lamb and the eventual TOR 1st, they just use essentially 3 straight late 1sts to fix their financial blues. Kleiza also maybe helps them this year, he can play stretch 4 minutes. As for Toronto, they pay a steep price taking Perkins big deal 2 seasons from now, but he can be a mentor for Valanciunas. Jones III was a lotto talent, Jackson is a good flier and they get a 1st which has value. This is committing to a rebuild by paying capspace for talent, a strategy they haven't done much.
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#1326 » by Snooch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Philly in:

Millsap, mozgov

out

thad, moultrie

philly upgrades the pf spot alot, and can see how a bynum and millsap frontcourt work or just let bynum expire at seasons end and upgrade the center spot in free agency. and also resign millsap. they also have an upgrade at the center spot in mozgov until bynum returns.

houston out
lin, first

in
mo williams, fields

houston saves money bigtime, but eats fields for it.

utah out:
millsap,

in
lowry and klieza

utah adds a needed pg and depth at sf

toronto out:
lowry, kleiza, fields, Bargs

in lin, thad young, chandler and moutrie and houston first protected.

toronto adds a backup pg to groom under Jose. although his salary is atrocious would it, but do add ad very nice and needed sf and a decent looking pf/c prospect as well as deep depth at the swing positions
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1327 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 pm

A simpler version of that deal

Lowry, Aldrich/Cook to Utah

Millsap to Houston

Lin, one of Utah's 1sts (UTA or GSW) to Toronto

Utah says yes. Houston's side is probably shaky, they'd have to hope Millsap signs long term after they sell him on the team for a few months but if it works out their team is looking really, really good with Harden, Parsons, Millsap, Asik. Toronto gets Linsanity and a 1st
Snooch
Banned User

Post#1328 » by Snooch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:A simpler version of that deal

Lowry, Aldrich/Cook to Utah

Millsap to Houston

Lin, one of Utah's 1sts (UTA or GSW) to Toronto

Utah says yes. Houston's side is probably shaky, they'd have to hope Millsap signs long term after they sell him on the team for a few months but if it works out their team is looking really, really good with Harden, Parsons, Millsap, Asik. Toronto gets Linsanity and a 1st

i think lin can be had for less than millsap though, hence why i was looking for a bigger deal and one that helped us out at the sf spot.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1329 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I think the fact that Millsap is expiring lowers his value

Also a lot of teams would be interested in Lin for the financial benefits. For example if Houston calls Sacramento and says we want Thomas Robinson and Aaron Brooks for Lin, I bet the Kings heavily consider it if only because the Maloofs be needing that money like Nic Cage
Snooch
Banned User

Post#1330 » by Snooch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I think the fact that Millsap is expiring lowers his value

Also a lot of teams would be interested in Lin for the financial benefits.

i thoought lins final year on his salary was ridiculous, nbot the 8 8 8 it currently is. i thought they had backloaded it to prevent it being matched...
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1331 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Fields and Lin's deals were only backloaded if NY had matched. They are spread out evenly for TOR and HOU
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#1332 » by Hassassin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Snooch wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I think the fact that Millsap is expiring lowers his value

Also a lot of teams would be interested in Lin for the financial benefits.

i thoought lins final year on his salary was ridiculous, nbot the 8 8 8 it currently is. i thought they had backloaded it to prevent it being matched...

They did backload it. If the Knicks matched it, it would count as 5/5/15 for them. Since they didn't, its 8/8/8 for Houston.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#1333 » by HEKTOR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 am

TO RAPTORS:
Pekovic
Williams
Roy
Ebanks

TO T-WOLVES:
Gasol
Morris
Acy
Sacre

TO LAKERS:
Bargnani
Kleiza
Barea
Cunningham
Snooch
Banned User

Post#1334 » by Snooch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 am

ok here is a modified trade:

utah in
Lowry and Kleiza

out
Millsap and a first

philly out:
Thad

in
Millsap, outlaw, toronto and sacrament 2nds

Philly adds a true pf to pair up with Bynum, or to keep after bynum expires, worst case scenaro they now have 25 million in those two expiring....

sacramento out:
Thompson, Freddette, outlaw

in
Bargnani, utah first

Sacramento sheds some salary, clears out the glut of pg's ands a true spacer pf to pair with cousins( i think that would be a hell of a duo up front) and adds a pick

toronto out:\
Lowry, kleiza, bargnani, sacramento second, toronto second

in
thad young, freddette, thomspon

toronto adds youth and fit.

Jose/Freddette/Lucas
Demar/Ross/Fields
Thad/Pietrus
Davis/Thompson/Acy
JV/Amir/Gray
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,556

Post#1335 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 am

Lowry + bargs for thad young, freddette and thompson?? I don't like the pieces coming back. Is thompson an upgrade over ed davis? I don't think so, even if he is, it's slightly.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Snooch
Banned User

Post#1336 » by Snooch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Lowry + bargs for thad young, freddette and thompson?? I don't like the pieces coming back. Is thompson an upgrade over ed davis? I don't think so, even if he is, it's slightly.

but the big thing here is money savings of 5 million up front.

thompson isnt better than the davis that has been playing last couple of weeks, but was better than last seasons davis, either way got a nice pairing going forward at the pf spot until one truely steps out.

I really like fredette and i think jose would be a great mentor to him in alot of ways as an nba pg

and thad is exactly what is missing right now, a sf who defends, posts up, passes well, reboounds well, and can hit the three consistantly and is still young.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#1337 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:30 am

I guess the best we could do, as far as player value goes, in a Jose Calderon trade is either that Lakers trade where we flip Gasol for asset(s), or trade Calderon to the Hornets for Eric Gordon.

A trade with the Houston Rockets could make some sense as well, if it means we acquire their 2014 pick since they don't seem to have their 2013.

Maybe, Calderon + Ross to MIL for Jennings, Gooden, and a 1st rd pick (or Tobias Harris)?
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#1338 » by Cashin out » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I guess the best we could do, as far as player value goes, in a Jose Calderon trade is either that Lakers trade where we flip Gasol for asset(s), or trade Calderon to the Hornets for Eric Gordon.

A trade with the Houston Rockets could make some sense as well, if it means we acquire their 2014 pick since they don't seem to have their 2013.

Maybe, Calderon + Ross to MIL for Jennings, Gooden, and a 1st rd pick (or Tobias Harris)?
lol the Lakers are not trading Gasol for Calderon,what makes you think they will?

Please don't say you would add Bargnani because he is awful.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,485

Post#1339 » by dagger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 am

It would be really nice if somebody came up with a trade idea or two that actually addressed team needs, like a future backup PG - someone who might grow into a starter - or a small forward or even a draft pick. Too many trade ideas here just look like rearranging the deck chairs, or are complete pie in the sky (not even attempting to understand why the other team would do it.)
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Edumacated
Senior
And1: 404

Post#1340 » by Edumacated » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:

This would be great for Toronto.

Return to Toronto Raptors