ImageImageImageImageImage

In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless 

Post#81 » by J Dilla » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

elmer_yuck wrote:Like Hump, Bayless never got a fair shot here.
And like Hump, it was all due to politics.
Hump is a better player than Bargnani, and Bayless is a better player than Calderon.
But Bryan Colangelo would rather let these productive players go than allow them to play ahead of his mediocre love children.

14/21 from Hump last night
wbbfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Post#82 » by wbbfan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:27 pm

sca wrote:
J Dilla wrote:Deny it all you want, but right now in the Lowry-less Raptors, Bayless would be the best Raptor on the team right now.

LOL no way. You're pathetic. Wow. I don't even feel like arguing with you.

LOL wow. Just wow. Bayless might be the best player on a D league team.
I feel like every time bayless is brought up in this forum that the inner art bell comes out. Every pro bayless fan has this elaborate conspiracy theory of how and why he was shafted here and every other place he has played in his nba career. If he was that damned good he would have easily taken the starting role and ran away with it here, or any of his other stops. All teams that arent tanking want to win now. Coaches dont hold back the best players to screw around because they have the biggest risks. They are the first ones fired and if management gets the axe so does every one else most times.
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#83 » by Too Late Crew » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Hansari wrote:
When Bayless was on the court he created opportunities for others to score, but that doesn't mean he's rewarded with assists. He's not a PURE point guard, neither are Derrick Rose or Russel Westbrook, Westbrook goes many games with just 1/2 assists, does that mean he didn't open up his teammates? Yes he did, he made the right passes and that opened up more opportunities for his team.

Please don't post garbage.

Westbrook goes many games with just 1/2 assists,

He had 2 games last year with 2 or less assists. If you want to ever advance between ballboy level credibility at least check before you spew out statistics to try to support your point. :roll:
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#84 » by roundhead0 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:33 pm

elmer_yuck wrote:Like Hump, Bayless never got a fair shot here.
And like Hump, it was all due to politics.
Hump is a better player than Bargnani, and Bayless is a better player than Calderon.
But Bryan Colangelo would rather let these productive players go than allow them to play ahead of his mediocre love children.

Yes it was the politics and not all the injuries, the poor play coming off the bench, and Calderon being the best player on many nights that kept Bayless from being the starter and getting heavy minutes.

:roll:

Hump was fairly productive per-minute in Toronto. The problem is that one of the reasons for this is because he tried to make the game revolve around him even though he was nowhere good enough for that. I think he has finally figured out his role a bit better, but that took some time and a change of scenery.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#85 » by Scase » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:07 pm

sca wrote:
KnickerBonkerz wrote:
Scase wrote:These Bayless and Westbrook comparisons really need to stop. It's not even close......

He went 5/1/0 in 17min, besides not even being close to wesbrook, thats lower than Val and right around Ross territory.

I'm so glad that our team is so bad that we are clamoring for terrible players to have stayed here. 5th team in 4 years.......

So you looked at a box score, that means you know how he played? :roll:

This just in: Bayless makes "complicated" things on the court that don't show up in the boxscore

Yup he's right up there with Fields in all those great things he does don't show up on the stat sheets.
Props TZ!
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#86 » by Truthrising » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Just took a quick look at Bayless's advance stats and noticed he has the highest PER on the Grizzlies - 22.06 :o
I think he's gotta be one of the best backup PG's in the league right now.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#87 » by JV4MVP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm

He still hasn't shown that he's a PG in Memphis... more of a scorer off the bench. At least he's scored efficiently so far but this team doesn't need another chucker off the bench for a 1.5M premium over Lucas, who happens to be in a shooting slump and will eventually see mean reversion in his numbers.
Truthrising
RealGM

Post#88 » by Truthrising » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Regression2u wrote:He still hasn't shown that he's a PG in Memphis... more of a scorer off the bench. At least he's scored efficiently so far but this team doesn't need another chucker off the bench for a 1.5M premium over Lucas, who happens to be in a shooting slump and will eventually see mean reversion in his numbers.

I'd rather take pay the 1.5 mill premium and still take Bayless over John Lucas, John Lucas displays more of a chucking role off the bench more so than bayless. At least with Bayless he's shown to have more of PG skills over JLIII.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
JV4MVP
General Manager

Post#89 » by JV4MVP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 pm

truthrising wrote:Just took a quick look at Bayless's advance stats and noticed he has the highest PER on the Grizzlies - 22.06 :o

Lol, relax. Jimmer Fredette has a 33.5 PER without "advanced stats".

You also have a lot of "randoms" with high PERs: Eric Bledsoe (22.4), JJ Barea (21.65), Brian Roberts (20.1), Nate Robinson (19.8), Patrick Mills (19.5), Will Bynum (18.4). These numbers will regress with a higher sample size.

Most of these PGs are just scoring efficiently in the few games that they played and that is raising their PERs. Bledsoe is averaging less than 3 asts per game in 18 minutes of play.
JV4MVP
General Manager

Post#90 » by JV4MVP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

truthrising wrote:
Regression2u wrote:He still hasn't shown that he's a PG in Memphis... more of a scorer off the bench. At least he's scored efficiently so far but this team doesn't need another chucker off the bench for a 1.5M premium over Lucas, who happens to be in a shooting slump and will eventually see mean reversion in his numbers.

I'd rather take pay the 1.5 mill premium and still take Bayless over John Lucas, John Lucas displays more of a chucking role off the bench more so than bayless. At least with Bayless he's shown to have more of PG skills over JLIII.

Ideally Lowry can stay healthy and play 36 minutes a game. Then Calderon can be the reserve for the rest.

For a 3rd string role I wouldn't pay Bayless' +3M. Even for a 2nd string role I would prefer to have neither Lucas or Bayless. Call up an all-star from the D-league.
Truthrising
RealGM

Post#91 » by Truthrising » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Fredette only played in avg of 7.4 mins
JJ Barea (21.65)
Have him at 20.9, he's still a decent backup PG
Brian Roberts (20.1)
Shows him with a PER of 17.13
Nate Robinson (19.8)
He has PER of 16.82 - i wouldn't count him as a backup right now since he's playing heavy mins due to Rose being injured
Patrick Mills (19.5)
PER of 17.79 playing an avg of 8.4 mins :-?
Will Bynum (18.4)
17.35 - he's a decent backup PG as well[/quote][/quote]
Keep in mind Bayless also had a high PER last yr as well @ 17.91
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#92 » by Alfred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Regression2u wrote:
truthrising wrote:

Ideally Lowry can stay healthy and play 36 minutes a game. Then Calderon can be the reserve for the rest.

For a 3rd string role I wouldn't pay Bayless' +3M. Even for a 2nd string role I would prefer to have neither Lucas or Bayless. Call up an all-star from the D-league.

I'd like to have Bayless as the backup point guard and shooting guard. Basically the sixth man role.
Truthrising
RealGM

Post#93 » by Truthrising » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Regression2u wrote:
truthrising wrote:

Point of my converstation is not to compare between Bayless and John Lucas. but Ideally it would've been better to have a Lowry/Bayless tandem as opposed to Lowry/Calderon. Mentioned this before as you know that Bayless has always performed great as a starter for us last year, and since we know that Lowry has had a history of injuries in the past, we should've know that Lowry would at least miss 20 or so odd games, so why couldn't have kept bayless as an insurance policy? As i've said he's a great starter the only thing we weren't too sure about is how he would perform as a backup but as we've witnessed in Memphis so far, he's performing at a high rate as a backup for Memphis.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#94 » by Alfred » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm

truthrising wrote:

Fredette only played in avg of 7.4 mins
JJ Barea (21.65)
Have him at 20.9, he's still a decent backup PG
Brian Roberts (20.1)
Shows him with a PER of 17.13
Nate Robinson (19.8)
He has PER of 16.82 - i wouldn't count him as a backup right now since he's playing heavy mins due to Rose being injured
Patrick Mills (19.5)
PER of 17.79 playing an avg of 8.4 mins :-?
Will Bynum (18.4)
17.35 - he's a decent backup PG as well

Keep in mind Bayless also had a high PER last yr as well @ 17.91

Yeah, that's the thing. He had good advanced stats for a large sample size last season, so it isn't THAT surprising or unlikely.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#95 » by HEKTOR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Lowry>Calderon>Bayless
Truthrising
RealGM

Post#96 » by Truthrising » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:04 pm

HEKTOR wrote:Calderon>Bayless

See this is the thing I don't get, How is Calderon better than Bayless? please explain..
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
HEKTOR
Veteran

Post#97 » by HEKTOR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Really? Let's see, off the top of my head, he's a better shooter, better passer, makes better decisions (not as many turnovers), makes his team-mates better, is a better leader, more experienced, etc. Is that enough? What makes Bayless better than Calderon? The fact that he's a better defender and younger?
Truthrising
RealGM

Post#98 » by Truthrising » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 pm

HEKTOR wrote:Really? Let's see, off the top of my head, he's a better shooter, better passer, makes better decisions (not as many turnovers), makes his team-mates better, is a better leader, more experienced, etc. Is that enough? What makes Bayless better than Calderon? The fact that he's a better defender and younger?

LOL :lol:
Better shooter?? I'd say Bayless is a better shooter
Passer?! - well if consider dribbling for 20 seconds than passing out to get his is than I guess. Calderon just stops our offense to a grinding halt.
Calderon being a leader and more experienced is obviously pure BS - What has Calderon done to make this team respectable around the league, imo our reputation is were one of the softest teams in the league and I guess Calderon is setting a good example :-?
Defender - This is what seperates Bayless and Calderon and Bayless obviously the better defender
Bayless is younger as you mentioned so has some room for growth
Salary - Bayless is obviously cheaper.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
HEKTOR
Veteran

Post#99 » by HEKTOR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

:noway:

Bayless is not a better shooter than Calderon, nor is he a better passer, not even close.
Calderon is a better leader and is more experienced, you really think otherwise?
Bayless might be the better defender, but even then, he's not a great defender. What Jose lacks in defense, he makes up for in offense with his shooting, passing, etc. - much more so than Bayless.
As for salary - that's irrelevant, we are simply talking about who is better. Because of Calderon's success in the past, he was given a bigger contract than Bayless, someone who hasn't really proven anything.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#100 » by roundhead0 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 pm

So much hand-wringing over a backup-level PG who is not even here anymore.

Return to Toronto Raptors