ImageImageImageImageImage

In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,656

Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless 

Post#21 » by kingr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Rose / westbrook player offensively? I didn't see that.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#22 » by Too Late Crew » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Still with this guy?

Anyone think that 15mpg from this guy on the current Raptors team would make any difference?

People can have all the theories they want about how some coach in one year of a coach can ruin a guy "forever" but facts are facts.

Bayless is on his 4th team and he's coming off the bench playing 15 mpg.He never played well coming off the bench for the Raptors and he'd still be coming off the bench for the Raptors if he were here. There is nothing to suggest that he'd be any better in a Raptor bench role than in any other bench role.

He has had his chances to play and earn a starting spot on an NBA TEAM> He's had his shot and no one in the NBA wants to give him that starting role.

The Westbrook comparisons are just silly. If he was really 90% of Westbrook waiting for a chance some smart NBA GM would have seen that by now. They are not all stupid like BC.

The guy has enough skill to deserve to be in the NBA but I see no reason to worry about giving him up. He's had his shots he's played over 4000 NBA minutes. He's a bench player playing 15mpg making 3M a year.

I fin it very hard to believe that 28 NBA gms would pass up on Russell Westbrook or even 60%OF Westbrook as their starting PG for 3M a year.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#23 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:21 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:Anyone think that 15mpg from this guy on the current Raptors team would make any difference?

Do you hate the poor man so much that you wouldn't take him over John Lucas?
Read on Twitter
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#24 » by JV4MVP » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Choker wrote:
Too Late Crew wrote:Anyone think that 15mpg from this guy on the current Raptors team would make any difference?

Lucas is getting $1.5M
Bayless is getting $3.1M

Considering how marginally "better" (not even in the right word) Jerryd is, it's not worth 2x the salary. Both players excel at chucking. Perhaps Jerryd's a better defender but that's about it.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#25 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Regression2u wrote:Lucas is getting $1.5M
Bayless is getting $3.1M

Considering how marginally "better" (not even in the right word) Jerryd is, it's not worth 2x the salary. Both players excel at chucking. Perhaps Jerryd's a better defender but that's about it.

Marginally? The way Lucas has been playing he doesn't even deserve to get paid. The bias is getting ridiculous now.

Read on Twitter
West Rouge
Banned User
And1: 324

Post#26 » by West Rouge » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Regression2u wrote:
Choker wrote:

Lucas is getting $1.5M
Bayless is getting $3.1M

Ya an if anyone can find value it BC lol.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Too Late Crew » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Choker wrote:

:roll:

Still with accusing me of "hating" him. Sigh

Honestly if i "hated" him I want him to be back on this loser of a team, with a coach you feel misuses him and a GM who doesn't give him a proper chance.He's much better off where he is with a winning team like Memphis.

The Backup PG playing 15mpg on the Raptors is simply not a difference maker. John Lucas playing 11 mpg is hardly a major factor in the Raptors losing games.

i am glad he's not on this team anymore simply so I don't have to hear about how we are wasting the next Ruessel Westbrook

I wish him well in Memphis. He's going to have much happier year there than he would here.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#28 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Too Late Crew wrote::roll:

Still with accusing me of "hating" him. Sigh

Honestly if i "hated" him I want him to be back on this loser of a team, with a coach you feel misuses him and a GM who doesn't give him a proper chance.He's much better off where he is with a winning team like Memphis.

The Backup PG playing 15mpg on the Raptors is simply not a difference maker. John Lucas playing 11 mpg is hardly a major factor in the Raptors losing games.

i am glad he's not on this team anymore simply so I don't have to hear about how we are wasting the next Ruessel Westbrook

I wish him well in Memphis. He's going to have much happier year there than he would here.

When someone connotes Bayless with so much negativity I'm led to only one conclusion.

Lucas has been putrid in all facets of the game of basketball. Even at his worst Bayless has been much better than this. It's silly to think he wouldn't make a difference.

Read on Twitter
Too Late Crew
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Too Late Crew » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Choker wrote:
When someone connotes Bayless with so much negativity I'm led to only one conclusion.

Lucas has been putrid in all facets of the game of basketball. Even at his worst Bayless has been much better than this. It's silly to think he wouldn't make a difference.

Well I guess a whole bunch of GMs are Bayless haters too.

I've consistently said I have nothing against him. Facts are facts and results are results.

JLIII has sucked off the bench. Bayless sucked off the bench last year. You are convinced that the Raptors misuse him and we all know that it wouldn't change wit Jose and KL here so why would YOU want him here if YOU want him to succeed.
Do you think if Bayless was back that Casey wouldn't continue to use him he did last year as a combo guy ? Like I said he wouldn't make any difference this year.

If we had a different coach and different players and a different GM maybe he would.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#30 » by Kabookalu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Too Late Crew wrote:Well I guess a whole bunch of GMs are Bayless haters too.

I've consistently said I have nothing against him. Facts are facts and results are results.

JLIII has sucked off the bench. Bayless sucked off the bench last year. You are convinced that the Raptors misuse him and we all know that it wouldn't change wit Jose and KL here so why would YOU want him here if YOU want him to succeed.
Do you think if Bayless was back that Casey wouldn't continue to use him he did last year as a combo guy ? Like I said he wouldn't make any difference this year.

If we had a different coach and different players and a different GM maybe he would.

So every team that fails to acquire a free agent must hate those said players. 29 teams sure hated Andrei Kirilenko.

I do want him to succeed and am glad he's doing well in Memphis, though even with how badly he's played here under Casey off the bench he would significantly be better than Lucas.

Read on Twitter
Too Late Crew
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Too Late Crew » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Choker wrote:
So every team that fails to acquire a free agent must hate those said players. 29 teams sure hated Andrei Kirilenko.

Now you are just being silly.

At least 3 teams were known to be going after AK47. The guy was an ALL Star for goodness sake.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... _Kirilenko
They gave him 20 M over 2 years. You want to compare that to teams like the Bulls who needed a stopgap PG or the Jazz who are using freakn Tinsley for their backup not being willing to pony up 3M for Bayless.

All 30 NBA teams could have afforded Bayless 3m. Only a select few could afford AK's 10M and the ones that could went after him.

He's simply proven to be a journeyman like AJ Price or ny other number of the same type of guys.

I think Bayless would most certainly be better than JLIII. But in the role and minutes he'd be given in Toronto with the makeup of this team and his history its very unlikley to me that he'd change our record much if any. Doesn't mean I think that Lucas is good or better or equal to Bayless.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#32 » by RedX » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

lol. We sure love the Time Machine...
wbbfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Post#33 » by wbbfan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:16 pm

im glad hes gone. he was all hype, Situational stats are all well and good but when you can never get your self in that situation they serve no purpose.
More athletic then westbrook? LOL just like joey graham was more athletic then chris paul. Couple more years and the boy bay will be out of the nba and drift into obscurity. I hope this is the last bayless thread we see on this board. Such a played out topic.
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Pseudonym
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#34 » by Pseudonym » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:17 pm

6.8 points and 3.6 assists per game in 15 minutes. PER of 21.9, Ts% of .594%, 38.5% AST%, 14.9 TO%, 121 ORTG on 19.3% usage.

He's been a GREAT backup PG for Memphis, there's no way around it. In fact, they're basically getting Starting Bayless off of the bench so far. No fair. But I wish him the best and everything. I wish that we kept him and then moved Calderon, but... oh well.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#35 » by Yosemite Dan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 pm

How sad is this team when threads are being made to bring back scrubs. We were crap last year with Johnson and Bayless and we have been crap this year without them AND would have been crap with them anyways. Wanna know why. Because they are bench players who belong on the bench. Bench players have such a minimal effect on a team's record when you have a crap starting lineup.

This team will continue to go nowhere until they get a legit SF, SG and PF and probably PG once Lowry realizes what a ridiculous franchise this is and bolts.
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#36 » by Big Shot » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm

It's hard not to think that JB could've helped given Lucas's **** performance last night. Comparing him to Westbook is way off base though.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,428

Post#37 » by Rapsfan07 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm a huge fan of Bayless. Have been since his days in Portland and I really, really feel like we didn't use him correctly or get the most out of him as a player. His starting numbers were amazing and on a team with Calderon as the starting PG, there is NO reason why he shouldn't have been starting. ALL stats point to him being the better player.

But alas, politics wins the battle again.

I wish him the best in Memphis and he seems to be playing very well out there. No matter what posters here feel about Bayless, there is no denying that keeping him would have been better than signing JL3.
Rejected
Veteran
And1: 2,741

Post#38 » by Rejected » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I advocated strongly for keeping Bayless and JJ. I thought they had the most fight of any of our players last year and they were the two that were not brought back. Clearly I am the one who was wrong here, were so much better off now...
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#39 » by JWiLL02 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Pseudonym wrote:6.8 points and 3.6 assists per game in 15 minutes. PER of 21.9, Ts% of .594%, 38.5% AST%, 14.9 TO%, 121 ORTG on 19.3% usage.

He's been a GREAT backup PG for Memphis, there's no way around it. In fact, they're basically getting Starting Bayless off of the bench so far. No fair. But I wish him the best and everything. I wish that we kept him and then moved Calderon, but... oh well.

I believe Bayless had an issue being Jose's back up since he was clearly outperforming him when given the opportunity, and probably killed him in practice on a daily basis.

I can't see him having an issue backing up Lowry, who's clearly the better PG. I was definitely one of his strongest supporters last year, we'd be far better off with him stepping in to start right now than we are with past his prime Jose.

Playing Lowry and Bayless at the same time would have worked well too, as far as 2 PG line ups go, considering both of them have the ability to play well off ball and can guard SGs.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
Just Win Baby
Senior
And1: 75

Post#40 » by Just Win Baby » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Rejected wrote:I advocated strongly for keeping Bayless and JJ. I thought they had the most fight of any of our players last year and they were the two that were not brought back. Clearly I am the one who was wrong here, were so much better off now...

Clearly, you ARE wrong. Lowry makes this team much better, anyone who isn't blind and living in the JJ and Bayless days can see that. It's not everyday your best player gets injured. 76 games left in the season.

Return to Toronto Raptors