ImageImageImageImageImage

In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless 

Post#61 » by Hendrix » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 am

I'm going to just ignore all the stats, differences in them as players,etc... And just focus on this.

Westbrook was the 2nd best player on a team that just went to the finals, and finished with the 2nd best record in the west.

Bayless couldn't even prove to be the 2nd best player or clearcut starting PG on a 23 win team.

If Bayless had Rose or Westbroo'ks talent he wouldn't just go 'un-noticed'. I mean, can you picture Westbrook (aka the 2nd best player on a finals team), just getting stuck behind Jose Calderon on a 23 win team?
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
revvolutions
Starter
And1: 1,270

Post#62 » by revvolutions » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGkG9hl4uPM[/youtube]

officially missing bayless right now.

and ray allen just had his tayshaun blocking reggie moment. put em up, old man.

Man, so many good stories around the nba, except our franchise.
[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/bfj4f4.png[/im2g]
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#63 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:05 am

Wow, get your a** whooped Ray Allen

On the topic of Bayless, one thing I credit him for is becoming such a good 3pt shooter. I thought his jump last year might be an outlier but it looks legit. Hitting 3s adds a desperately needed element to his game considering I don't think he'll ever be a guy who excels scoring in the paint or or at the FT line
Pseudonym
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#64 » by Pseudonym » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:13 am

revvolutions wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGkG9hl4uPM[/youtube]

officially missing bayless right now.

and ray allen just had his tayshaun blocking reggie moment. put em up, old man.

Man, so many good stories around the nba, except our franchise.

But he turned the ball over after being double teamed and trapped late in the clock. So the entire play is invalid and doesn't count.

(What? Some moron WAS going to say it.)
Pseudonym
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#65 » by Pseudonym » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 am

Hendrix wrote: I mean, can you picture Westbrook (aka the 2nd best player on a finals team), just getting stuck behind Jose Calderon on a 23 win team?

Actually yes, since Westbrook is arguably the most erratic player in the league. Don't get me wrong, the comparisons are off-base, but Westbrook's career arc could have been quite different if he weren't drafted by a team that truly loved his game and believed in him.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#66 » by zilby » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:34 am

Yeah, I was on the Bayless wagon last year, and thought he should have started so we could test him out. But I have to say, I am not digging the bald look whatsoever :lol:

I wanted to keep him over Jose but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Seems like another chapter in the depressing story of our franchise, "What Could Have Been".
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,227

Post#67 » by Scase » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:35 am

These Bayless and Westbrook comparisons really need to stop. It's not even close......

He went 5/1/0 in 17min, besides not even being close to wesbrook, thats lower than Val and right around Ross territory.

I'm so glad that our team is so bad that we are clamoring for terrible players to have stayed here. 5th team in 4 years.......
Props TZ!
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#68 » by Hendrix » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:39 am

Pseudonym wrote:
Hendrix wrote: I mean, can you picture Westbrook (aka the 2nd best player on a finals team), just getting stuck behind Jose Calderon on a 23 win team?

Actually yes, since Westbrook is arguably the most erratic player in the league. Don't get me wrong, the comparisons are off-base, but Westbrook's career arc could have been quite different if he weren't drafted by a team that truly loved his game and believed in him.

I'm sorry, but there's no chance a perennial all star, on one of the best teams in the league, and best PG's in the league, is going to get stuck behind Jose Calderon (aka one of the worst starting PG's in the league), while being on one of the worst teams in the league.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#69 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I like Bayless, liked him when he was hear, happy to see him do well, loved the block on Ray. But it's not like every good play a former Raptor or could have been Raptor makes is a dagger in the heart the way many make it out to be,
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#70 » by MEDIC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:33 pm

tb40 wrote:Yeah I was pretty upset when we lost him, and still am.

Many of us thought at the time that the loss of Bayless would come back to haunt BC, and while the loss of Bayless on it's own is not earth shattering at the moment, all the off-season events due to persuing Nash, including the loss of Bayless looks like will be BC's undoing if things do not change in a hurry.

People get too hung up on whether Bayless is a combo guard, point guard, shooting guard whatever, but to me Bayless is just a basketball player, he does many things well as well as bringing the intangibles (work ethic, intensity, love for the city, organization).

How you let a player go like that is mind-boggling to me.

He was the most entertaining raptor last season in my view and I wish he was still with the team, but I hope he has success with Memphis now, and stays away from injury.

Good post.

Just a side note: Why is it that we always seem to not use role players properly? They fail here & they seem to find a comfortable role on other teams? Why do we fail at finding the right role for them or develop them properly?

- Kapono
- Turk
- Beli
- Delfino
- Hump

When was the last time we plucked a player rotting on another team's bench that ended up being a good player for us? It happened early with guys like Christie & Keon Clark, but hasn't happened in a long time.

I'd love to have a guy like Hump playing PF for this team. I think I'll be saying the exact same thing about Bayless in a few seasons.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
raptorscam
Pro Prospect
And1: 58

Post#71 » by raptorscam » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm

If Bayless is as good as he is being made out to be here and any team could've had him for less than the league average annual salary then it is pretty clear that every GM in the league should be fired and replaced with RealGM posters.

One other possibility is that skilled players when given minutes can put up great numbers for stretches on bad teams and look deceptively good on paper or even to the eye. Teams pay people a lot of money to be able to see through that and assess the real value of a player and while some obviously do it better than others (Toronto being amongst the "others"), I'm still going take my chances and assume that Bayless is more like the 000's of other players who have regressed to what the league expected of them rather than being like Chauncey Billups who is one of the very few exceptions for this type of player in recent memory.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#72 » by sca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm

MEDIC wrote:
tb40 wrote:Yeah I was pretty upset when we lost him, and still am.

Many of us thought at the time that the loss of Bayless would come back to haunt BC, and while the loss of Bayless on it's own is not earth shattering at the moment, all the off-season events due to persuing Nash, including the loss of Bayless looks like will be BC's undoing if things do not change in a hurry.

People get too hung up on whether Bayless is a combo guard, point guard, shooting guard whatever, but to me Bayless is just a basketball player, he does many things well as well as bringing the intangibles (work ethic, intensity, love for the city, organization).

How you let a player go like that is mind-boggling to me.

He was the most entertaining raptor last season in my view and I wish he was still with the team, but I hope he has success with Memphis now, and stays away from injury.

Good post.

Just a side note: Why is it that we always seem to not use role players properly? They fail here & they seem to find a comfortable role on other teams? Why do we fail at finding the right role for them or develop them properly?

- Kapono
- Turk
- Beli
- Delfino
- Hump

Kapono benefited from playing for a championship team (got lots of open looks) before he got that big contract from us. His career was on the downfall after he left the Raptors. IIRC he's out of the league ATM.
Turk was a really bad fit for the Raptors system, he benefited from an offense with no other playmakers/ lots of shooters and Dwight Howard, who also covered his weaknesses on the other end of the court.
Belinelli has always been a mediocre player with a very nice skillset, but below-average athleticism.
Delfino has always been a chucker.
Humphries, I'll give you that, but he was very young and playing behind Chris Bosh at the time.

MEDIC wrote:When was the last time we plucked a player rotting on another team's bench that ended up being a good player for us? It happened early with guys like Christie & Keon Clark, but hasn't happened in a long time.

I'd love to have a guy like Hump playing PF for this team. I think I'll be saying the exact same thing about Bayless in a few seasons.

James Johnson
Amir Johnson
Sonny Weems (to an extent)
Jamario Moon (wasn't an NBA player before, but still)
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#73 » by KnickerBonkerz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Scase wrote:These Bayless and Westbrook comparisons really need to stop. It's not even close......

He went 5/1/0 in 17min, besides not even being close to wesbrook, thats lower than Val and right around Ross territory.

I'm so glad that our team is so bad that we are clamoring for terrible players to have stayed here. 5th team in 4 years.......

So you looked at a box score, that means you know how he played? :roll:
sca
Head Coach

Post#74 » by sca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 pm

KnickerBonkerz wrote:
Scase wrote:These Bayless and Westbrook comparisons really need to stop. It's not even close......

So you looked at a box score, that means you know how he played? :roll:

This just in: Bayless makes "complicated" things on the court that don't show up in the boxscore
nabbs wrote:

Def Messina

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#75 » by J Dilla » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Deny it all you want, but right now in the Lowry-less Raptors, Bayless would be the best Raptor on the team right now.

I sincerely believe that the Raptors wanted to keep Bayless, but in an attempt to cockblock the Knicks BC made a signing that made all the other signings impossible to do. This is why you don't put all eggs into one basket.

I mean, can you picture Westbrook (aka the 2nd best player on a finals team), just getting stuck behind Jose Calderon on a 23 win team?

You are only saying that now since you know he was the 2nd best player on a finals team. Mitchell/Triano or whoever the coach was would've surely started Calderon. Casey no doubt, would be starting Calderon if he had a rookie Westbrook. After making that huge investment on Calderon, the Raptors just couldn't afford to sit him on the bench.

The Thunder were a smart team. They developed their players. They let them learn the game, chuck away, let them make mistakes on the court and end up with low shooting percentages. If Westbrook was on the Blazers, it wouldn't have been the same.
TPV
Senior
And1: 144

Post#76 » by TPV » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Wow, get your a** whooped Ray Allen

On the topic of Bayless, one thing I credit him for is becoming such a good 3pt shooter. I thought his jump last year might be an outlier but it looks legit. Hitting 3s adds a desperately needed element to his game considering I don't think he'll ever be a guy who excels scoring in the paint or or at the FT line

Totally agree. Even if he wasn't the best at getting into the paint or creating for others, he'd always have his three-point shot and aggressive defence. Still wish we could have retained him.
sca
Head Coach

Post#77 » by sca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:21 pm

J Dilla wrote:Deny it all you want, but right now in the Lowry-less Raptors, Bayless would be the best Raptor on the team right now.

LOL no way. You're pathetic. Wow. I don't even feel like arguing with you.
nabbs wrote:

Def Messina

TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#78 » by TheToothFairy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:31 pm

I wish Bayless had started in Portland and rode his SL MVP confidence. I think he would be a different player

That said he can easily be the OJ Mayo of PG's right now
elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 560

Post#79 » by elmer_yuck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Like Hump, Bayless never got a fair shot here.
And like Hump, it was all due to politics.
Hump is a better player than Bargnani, and Bayless is a better player than Calderon.
But Bryan Colangelo would rather let these productive players go than allow them to play ahead of his mediocre love children.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#80 » by MEDIC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:11 pm

sca wrote:Kapono benefited from playing for a championship team (got lots of open looks) before he got that big contract from us. His career was on the downfall after he left the Raptors. IIRC he's out of the league ATM.

That's my point. We gave him a huge contract & couldn't or didn't utilize him the same way he was used in Miami. What was the point of signing him?

Turk was a really bad fit for the Raptors system, he benefited from an offense with no other playmakers/ lots of shooters and Dwight Howard, who also covered his weaknesses on the other end of the court.

Again....if he was a bad fit, what was the point of signing him?

Belinelli has always been a mediocre player with a very nice skillset, but below-average athleticism.

He's done OK on other teams as a role player. He has even started on a few teams. He was really good at off the ball movement while here, but we never passed the guy the ball even when he was wide open.

Delfino has always been a chucker.

Delfino is a jack of all trades guy. He's been a useful player in Milwaukee.

Problem is, we sign these guys & either ask them to do too much or not actually utilize their strengths. We seem to be terrible at finding appropriate roles for players.

James Johnson
Amir Johnson
Sonny Weems (to an extent)
Jamario Moon (wasn't an NBA player before, but still)

Christie & even Keon Clark were much better players for us than any of these guys. Amir is the only guy of the bunch that I can somewhat agree with.

I'm talking about guys that could be legit starters on a playoff team. You're listing a bunch of scrubs.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.

Return to Toronto Raptors