ImageImageImageImageImage

In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless 

Post#241 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:27 pm

Green Backpack wrote:I can't believe people are crying over Bayless. I'm sorry, but having Bayless as your starting PG isn't going to get you anywhere. There's a reason he ended up in Memphis for cheap

It's always straw man arguments when it comes to Bayless. Lots of his fans are more pissed at how he was handled. Even if you don't think he's a viable starting point guard he could have been used as an asset for significantly more value. He's always played well when starting, and we knew this. We didn't make use of that. Instead his value was hindered and the team got absolutely nothing out of him.
Read on Twitter
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#242 » by Beardman » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:47 pm

whatamoron wrote:
Scase wrote:
Green Backpack wrote:I can't believe people are crying over Bayless. I'm sorry, but having Bayless as your starting PG isn't going to get you anywhere. There's a reason he ended up in Memphis for cheap

I'm pretty sure the argument is for him as the backup pg instead of JC.

There is also a reason why lowry is playing for his third team. Two other things to consider is that
Bayless liked Toronto and wanted to stay. He was willing to sign long term for a lot less than what
Lowry is going to demand. There isn't any guarantee that Lowry will want to stay with the Raptors
after this contract expires. Personally if the Raptors are going to retain a selfish point guard who
will under utilize his team-mates, I rather it be Bayless
Lowry has been everything but selfish. His shot selection is questionable but it hasn't reached a point where he is disrupting the offense of others. I also like how you suggest we should settle for mediocre because mediocre likes us back, that is not the way to building a successful franchise dude. Fitting username.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#243 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:52 pm

Beardman wrote:Lowry has been everything but selfish. His shot selection is questionable but it hasn't reached a point where he is disrupting the offense of others. I also like how you suggest we should settle for mediocre because mediocre likes us back, that is not the way to building a successful franchise dude. Fitting username.

Lowry actually has been selfish, at least when he's came back from his injury. Not taking shots in the flow of the offense, taking some really dumb 3 pointers, and trying to do things by himself. There were a couple of moments where I wished Calderon was out there than Lowry. Outside of that horrible year when we had Will Solomon and Roko Ukic as point guards, that's never happened before.

Read on Twitter
Beardman
Veteran

Post#244 » by Beardman » Sun Dec 2, 2012 8:59 pm

Choker wrote:
Beardman wrote:Lowry has been everything but selfish. His shot selection is questionable but it hasn't reached a point where he is disrupting the offense of others. I also like how you suggest we should settle for mediocre because mediocre likes us back, that is not the way to building a successful franchise dude. Fitting username.

Lowry actually has been selfish, at least when he's came back from his injury. Not taking shots in the flow of the offense, taking some really dumb 3 pointers, and trying to do things by himself. There were a couple of moments where I wished Calderon was out there than Lowry. Outside of that horrible year when we had Will Solomon and Roko Ukic as point guards, that's never happened before.
These things do occur, but not as often as some make it out to be. More frequently i've seen him ball watching Jose on offense only to receive the ball at awkward times (just after Calderon has finished pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock).
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#245 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:01 pm

Beardman wrote:These things do occur, but not as often as some make it out to be. More frequently i've seen him ball watching Jose on offense only to receive the ball at awkward times (just after Calderon has finished pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock).

The moments I'm talking about have been more recently where Casey is starting to learn from his dumb 2 PG lineups, where Lowry and Calderon are starting to play exclusively from each other. Lowry has done a bad job of setting up the team's offense by trying to go out and score all by himself.

Read on Twitter
Beardman
Veteran

Post#246 » by Beardman » Sun Dec 2, 2012 9:08 pm

Choker wrote:
Beardman wrote:These things do occur, but not as often as some make it out to be. More frequently i've seen him ball watching Jose on offense only to receive the ball at awkward times (just after Calderon has finished pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock).

The moments I'm talking about have been more recently where Casey is starting to learn from his dumb 2 PG lineups, where Lowry and Calderon are starting to play exclusively from each other. Lowry has done a bad job of setting up the team's offense by trying to go out and score all by himself.
Okay. Well that is his play style after all, i'd be more worried if he was playing less aggressive and constantly deferring to the likes of DeRozan and Bargs on offense. I guess there could be a middle ground where maybe earlier on he sets up team mates and then come crunch time he takes the helms.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,376

Post#247 » by visionquest » Mon Dec 3, 2012 3:16 am

Almost all our signings would end up elsewhere for cheap (if BC didnt target and sign them so fast during free agency)
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 991

Post#248 » by GameChannel » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:30 am

I think Jose will have to get down on his knees and blow each and every Jose hater to stop them from prefering Bayless to Jose...

Jose is a better PG for this team than Bayless. Period. Bayless and Lowry are very similar players. You need a pure point guard out there to lead the second unit.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,068

Post#249 » by sisibilio » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:24 am

raptorfever wrote:Wtf

+1

Bayless is doing a good job in Memphis... as a backup PG. If Conley went down for an extended period they'd be in big trouble.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,205

Post#250 » by Scase » Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:44 am

whatamoron wrote:
Scase wrote:

I'm pretty sure the argument is for him as the backup pg instead of JC.

There is also a reason why lowry is playing for his third team. Two other things to consider is that
Bayless liked Toronto and wanted to stay. He was willing to sign long term for a lot less than what
Lowry is going to demand.
There isn't any guarantee that Lowry will want to stay with the Raptors
after this contract expires. Personally if the Raptors are going to retain a selfish point guard who
will under utilize his team-mates, I rather it be Bayless

Pure conjecture so pointless to state.

Choker wrote:

Gonna have to call bullsht on this to a degree. No one was calling those wild threes 10 feet from the line with 20sec on the shot clock selfish when he was hitting them at like a 60% clip.

It's all perspective.
Props TZ!
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#251 » by Kabookalu » Mon Dec 3, 2012 7:44 am

Scase wrote:Gonna have to call bullsht on this to a degree. No one was calling those wild threes 10 feet from the line with 20sec on the shot clock selfish when he was hitting them at like a 60% clip.

It's all perspective.

Those were very selfish shots, no use for complaining about them when he was making them.

Read on Twitter
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,205

Post#252 » by Scase » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:30 am

Choker wrote:
Scase wrote:Gonna have to call bullsht on this to a degree. No one was calling those wild threes 10 feet from the line with 20sec on the shot clock selfish when he was hitting them at like a 60% clip.

It's all perspective.

Those were very selfish shots, no use for complaining about them when he was making them.

Therein lies my point, you can't pick and choose. If he's taking them period you call him out on it, that's no better than the Drummond trolls who only post when he has a good game vs the ones who post when he has a bad game.
Props TZ!
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#253 » by Kabookalu » Mon Dec 3, 2012 8:35 am

Scase wrote:Therein lies my point, you can't pick and choose. If he's taking them period you call him out on it, that's no better than the Drummond trolls who only post when he has a good game vs the ones who post when he has a bad game.

I've always thought they were selfish shots, even when he was making them. Like I said no use being vocal about it when he made them, because posters would just think I had some agenda against him.

Read on Twitter
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#254 » by pkiskool » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:45 pm

He sucks.
End of story.
Don't make this thread again.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,532

Post#255 » by dTox » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:57 pm

Bayless>Jose, there's a chance we could probably lose both Jose and Lowry however we could've had a cheap alternative in Bayless who still has as much potential as Lowry given that Bayless is pretty young and puts up similar numbers as a starter.
TBZ for the win
dTox
RealGM

Post#256 » by dTox » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:58 pm

pkiskool wrote:He sucks.
End of story.
Don't make this thread again.

kthanksbye
TBZ for the win
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,248

Post#257 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 3:26 pm

Bayless had his chance in TO; did not fit in. Time to move on folks.

Geez, some of you must be really bad at break-ups...
dTox
RealGM

Post#258 » by dTox » Mon Dec 3, 2012 3:39 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Bayless had his chance in TO; did not fit in. Time to move on folks.

Geez, some of you must be really bad at break-ups...

When given playing time (30+ minutes) he's proven to provide a solid 17/7 with good fg and 3pt %, again, he was poorly used here and was not given a fair chance with Casey's love affair for Jose.
TBZ for the win
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,443

Post#259 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Dec 3, 2012 4:29 pm

Jerryd Bayless had every opportunity to prove that he was a better option;
Its not like we were the only team to give up on this kid;

The Blazers and Hornets both concluded exactly what we did before we did;
He is the Jason Maxiell of PG's, much better as a starter, but not good enough to start.

The ONLY thing that annoys me about the Bayless situation was that when all the dust settled he got 2/6.
That isn't terrible money, especially for a guy who would potentially be the 3rd PG.

We didn't miss out on a "superstar" he isn't Westbrook V2.0, but for 3m bucks to park him at the end of the bench would have been a signing I would have been content with.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#260 » by sanity » Mon Dec 3, 2012 4:40 pm

He's being paid a shade over 1m more than Lucas is. Colangelo has a tendency to willfully do away with young players/prospects though, for whatever reason... maybe a rotating door of players is helpful for selling the idea that this team is different than last year's. Even though the on-court product is just as bad, its a different one!

Return to Toronto Raptors