yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless

Moderators: tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin, FluLikeSymptoms, Morris_Shatford, Rhettmatic, Alfred, Undefeated, DG88, itbobby007

Post#196 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 pm by Bsee

It was more than that, remember 2 seasons ago when Jose got injured? Every time he got starter minutes and wasn't on a short leash, he proved his worth. Choker posted his career stats when getting 30+ minutes. I'd bet that's a pretty decent sample, at least enough where those stats he put up with those minutes have good worth.

Kevin Love was recently on Bill Simmons' podcast, ESPN's The BS Report earlier this week and Simmons asked Love who he thought is a guy in his generation that is going to break out , but hasn't yet"


Kevin Love wrote: "I always felt like my guy, Jerryd Bayless who's now up in Toronto...I felt like he has a chance to break out, cause he's the type of guy who that has the mentality that we all have...that they want to be great....they aren't going to take 'no' for an answer. He has the ability and the chance to be a very good player in this league.

He just has a different type of demeanor to him that we...you know, our generation kind of all has. You know, he plays hard every single play. He's just not going to take 'No' for an answer ...to go out there and try and get the job done. So he's just waiting for the right opportunity and a chance to break out. I think, Jerryd's right up there with a lot of other guys in our class He was right up there in high school, with the best players. I think he's right there among others."



That's coming from a perennial all star :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The "top guys" in his class that he's referring to when he says Bayless is right up there with them are:

Kevin Love himself
OJ Mayo
Eric Gordon
Derrick Rose
Blake Griffin
James Harden

you don't let a guy with that elite talent level go and keep Calderon and take on John Lucas III instead :lol:
Bsee
Ballboy
Posts: 27
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
Top

Post#197 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 am by ballislife

We shouldve kept him as our backup and shipped Calderon out of town. He'd basically be an extension of Lowry on the floor.
Image
ballislife



Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,137
And1: 1,031
Joined: Apr 27, 2010
Top

Post#198 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:51 am by Geddy

If we're going to pine over past point guards then I would rather have Jack on this team over Bayless. If anything Jack didn't come with an annoying name like "boy bay" or whatever it is.
Geddy


Forum Mod
Forum Mod
User avatar
Posts: 45,132
And1: 13,024
Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Location: Willie hears ya, Willie don't care
Top

Post#199 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:59 am by Choker

Scase wrote:Yeah there was this other guy that had 13 good games, we should sign him to a big contract.


Kyrie Irving in college? :D
Image
Vincent_Askew wrote:Adams, Ibaka, McGary frontcourt makes me want to jump off a cliff a** first and onto a dildo with excitement.
Choker

RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 36,190
And1: 9,024
Joined: Aug 18, 2006
Location: Long Beach, California
Top

Post#200 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:12 am by Aboozer

Bsee wrote:Bayless actually shows he has the talent scouts claimed he did when he gets the minutes and the chance. His career stats playing 30+ minutes are 18/6/4........


Career stats playing 30+ minutes
Lucas - 17.5/6/3.5
Kleiza - 18/6 shooting 50%+FG/40%+3PT
Ed Davis - 11/10/1.5 BLK
Gray - 11/11/2 AST
Aboozer
Sophomore
Posts: 142
And1: 4
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Europe
Top

Post#201 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am by sca

Aboozer wrote:
Bsee wrote:Bayless actually shows he has the talent scouts claimed he did when he gets the minutes and the chance. His career stats playing 30+ minutes are 18/6/4........


Career stats playing 30+ minutes
Lucas - 17.5/6/3.5
Kleiza - 18/6 shooting 50%+FG/40%+3PT
Ed Davis - 11/10/1.5 BLK
Gray - 11/11/2 AST


+999999999

Seriously people, PER36 stats and "when playing 30+ minutes" are misleading... Here's why:

If a rotation player who normally plays 15-20 minutes per game is playing 30+ minutes at a certain game, chances are he's playing much better that night than he usually does. A rotation player gets more minutes when he's on a good night, and that skews his PER36 averages. A starter who plays consistent minutes night in and night out doesn't have the same luxury. You can see a guy like Bayless putting up 20 points in 30 minutes on boxscore, but it's very unusual to see someone score 10 points in 15 minutes, because chances are his coach will keep him in the game after he scored that 10 points (unless it's a blowout).
Image
sca


Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,587
And1: 1,692
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
Top

Post#202 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 am by Big Shot

sca wrote:
Seriously people, PER36 stats and "when playing 30+ minutes" are misleading... Here's why:

If a rotation player who normally plays 15-20 minutes per game is playing 30+ minutes at a certain game, chances are he's playing much better that night than he usually does. A rotation player gets more minutes when he's on a good night, and that skews his PER36 averages. A starter who plays consistent minutes night in and night out doesn't have the same luxury. You can see a guy like Bayless putting up 20 points in 30 minutes on boxscore, but it's very unusual to see someone score 10 points in 15 minutes, because chances are his coach will keep him in the game after he scored that 10 points (unless it's a blowout).



The thing is that Bayless played better as a starter here in Toronto. Your theory doesn't apply.
Big Shot
Starter
Posts: 2,417
And1: 57
Joined: Mar 21, 2002
Top

Post#203 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 am by sca

(Continued from the other post)

Therefore, I think the best way to project a player's starter averages is to make the proportion that he played 36 mintues every single game (I'm not sure that I'm wording that properly guys as English is not my first language, but you'll get the idea). Let's say that these are a guy's boxscores of a five game sample:

Game 1: 13 minutes / 5 points / 0 rebounds / 2 assists
Game 2: 11 minutes / 3 points / 2 rebounds / 2 assists
Game 3: 25 minutes / 15 points / 4 rebounds / 5 assists
Game 4: 36 minutes / 23 points / 3 rebounds / 7 assists
Game 5: 15 minutes / 5 points / 1 rebound / 2 assists

Normally, this guy's PER36 averages would be: 18.4 PPG / 3.6 RPG / 6.5 APG and if this guy was to play for our team, we would have posters who would complain about how he's not getting minutes he deserves and how well he performs when he's playing 25+ minutes. But if you make the minutes proportion for every single game, you'd then have a much better idea of how well he would play when given big minutes.

Game 1: 36 minutes / 13.8 points / 0 rebounds / 5.5 assists
Game 2: 36 minutes / 9.8 points / 6.5 rebounds / 6.5 assists
Game 3: 36 minutes / 21.6 points / 5.8 rebounds / 7.2 assists
Game 4: 36 minutes / 23 points / 3 rebounds / 7 assists
Game 5: 36 minutes / 12 points / 2.4 rebounds / 4.8 assists

Calculate the average of these games and it then makes 16.1 PPG / 3.5 RPG / 6.2 APG per 36 minutes. Still very good averages, but much closer to realistic IMO. Personally, I wonder why no one uses this kind of a method. What do you guys think?
Image
sca


Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,587
And1: 1,692
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
Top

Post#204 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:18 am by sca

Big Shot wrote:
sca wrote:
Seriously people, PER36 stats and "when playing 30+ minutes" are misleading... Here's why:

If a rotation player who normally plays 15-20 minutes per game is playing 30+ minutes at a certain game, chances are he's playing much better that night than he usually does. A rotation player gets more minutes when he's on a good night, and that skews his PER36 averages. A starter who plays consistent minutes night in and night out doesn't have the same luxury. You can see a guy like Bayless putting up 20 points in 30 minutes on boxscore, but it's very unusual to see someone score 10 points in 15 minutes, because chances are his coach will keep him in the game after he scored that 10 points (unless it's a blowout).



The thing is that Bayless played better as a starter here in Toronto. Your theory doesn't apply.

Reading compensation fail. Sorry.
Image
sca


Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,587
And1: 1,692
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
Top

Post#205 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:18 am by Big Shot

Big Shot wrote:
sca wrote:
Seriously people, PER36 stats and "when playing 30+ minutes" are misleading... Here's why:

If a rotation player who normally plays 15-20 minutes per game is playing 30+ minutes at a certain game, chances are he's playing much better that night than he usually does. A rotation player gets more minutes when he's on a good night, and that skews his PER36 averages. A starter who plays consistent minutes night in and night out doesn't have the same luxury. You can see a guy like Bayless putting up 20 points in 30 minutes on boxscore, but it's very unusual to see someone score 10 points in 15 minutes, because chances are his coach will keep him in the game after he scored that 10 points (unless it's a blowout).



The thing is that Bayless played better as a starter here in Toronto. Your theory doesn't apply.

In case you don't know, Bayless had a better PER than any player including Calderon when he was here.

I'm not saying that he is god or anything. Just don't like people talking about him like garbage.
Big Shot
Starter
Posts: 2,417
And1: 57
Joined: Mar 21, 2002
Top

Post#206 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:08 am by Norma Wick

does anyone else think that bay less could be as good as rondo, but with a jumpshot and westbrooks athleticism?
Image

"You know the sad thing about surprises? It never comes when you expect it" - Jr. Smith
Norma Wick
Junior
User avatar
Posts: 344
And1: 80
Joined: Aug 12, 2012
Top

Post#207 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 am by KnickerBonkerz

sca wrote:What a great argument. He fought with JR Smith, so he played a great game.

Lmao where did he say that? Try reading dude...
Image
KnickerBonkerz



Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,305
And1: 1,813
Joined: Oct 21, 2012
Top

Post#208 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 am by Too Late Crew

Norma Wick wrote:does anyone else think that bay less could be as good as rondo, but with a jumpshot and westbrooks athleticism?

I'm sure some people think that buthey've been proven wrong.
It wasn’t the ongoing incompetence that destroyed my passion for this team, it was the tolerance for that incompetence.
-Scott Carefoot on the Raptors
Too Late Crew
Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,370
And1: 90
Joined: Jun 9, 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Top

Post#209 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 am by JV4MVP

sca wrote:
Aboozer wrote:
Bsee wrote:Bayless actually shows he has the talent scouts claimed he did when he gets the minutes and the chance. His career stats playing 30+ minutes are 18/6/4........


Career stats playing 30+ minutes
Lucas - 17.5/6/3.5
Kleiza - 18/6 shooting 50%+FG/40%+3PT
Ed Davis - 11/10/1.5 BLK
Gray - 11/11/2 AST


+999999999

Seriously people, PER36 stats and "when playing 30+ minutes" are misleading... Here's why:

If a rotation player who normally plays 15-20 minutes per game is playing 30+ minutes at a certain game, chances are he's playing much better that night than he usually does. A rotation player gets more minutes when he's on a good night, and that skews his PER36 averages. A starter who plays consistent minutes night in and night out doesn't have the same luxury. You can see a guy like Bayless putting up 20 points in 30 minutes on boxscore, but it's very unusual to see someone score 10 points in 15 minutes, because chances are his coach will keep him in the game after he scored that 10 points (unless it's a blowout).


Yup to both posters. +2
JV4MVP

Head Coach
Posts: 6,955
And1: 3,535
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
Location: ∑ (♔ ▵ ♬)
Top

Post#210 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:15 pm by Scase

Bsee wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
KnickerBonkerz wrote:Da Boy Bay had another great game last night.

I don't care about Bayless one way or another, he's a decent backup in this league I guess ... but, 13 mins, 6pts, 1reb, 1ast, 2to, 3pf and a minus-2 against the Knicks subs qualifies as a great game?

Why so much love for somebody who has played for 4 franchises and never been able to earn starter's minutes? He's so obscure.


he brought tough D and high energy. Got in to it with JR Smith after he got blatantly elbowed and shoved him hard


KnickerBonkerz wrote:
sca wrote:What a great argument. He fought with JR Smith, so he played a great game.

Lmao where did he say that? Try reading dude...

Yeah try reading dude.......your point was he played a great game somone disagreed with your statement and he defended it. Therefore he defended the statement of Bayless having a great game and one of the defenses used was that "he got into it with JR smith".

Maybe you should try that reading thing.
Image
Props TZ!
(1 of 10)
Scase




Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 4,593
And1: 1,455
Joined: Feb 2, 2009
Location: Ottawa by way of MTL
Top

Post#211 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:16 pm by rove

sca wrote:
Aboozer wrote:
Bsee wrote:Bayless actually shows he has the talent scouts claimed he did when he gets the minutes and the chance. His career stats playing 30+ minutes are 18/6/4........


Career stats playing 30+ minutes
Lucas - 17.5/6/3.5
Kleiza - 18/6 shooting 50%+FG/40%+3PT
Ed Davis - 11/10/1.5 BLK
Gray - 11/11/2 AST


+999999999

Seriously people, PER36 stats and "when playing 30+ minutes" are misleading... Here's why:

If a rotation player who normally plays 15-20 minutes per game is playing 30+ minutes at a certain game, chances are he's playing much better that night than he usually does. A rotation player gets more minutes when he's on a good night, and that skews his PER36 averages. A starter who plays consistent minutes night in and night out doesn't have the same luxury. You can see a guy like Bayless putting up 20 points in 30 minutes on boxscore, but it's very unusual to see someone score 10 points in 15 minutes, because chances are his coach will keep him in the game after he scored that 10 points (unless it's a blowout).


Exactly what I wanted to say earlier. Bayless and players of his ilk doensn't play 30+ minutes because they can't do so consistently. Nobody in the NBA is trying to hold him back - every team wants talent at value if they can find it. You think if Bayless can sustain his per 36 rate and produce as a starter, the teams that had him wouldn't start him?

Per stats/projections are only useful when players are somewhat of the same caliber (eg. star vs star, starter v starter, bench players vs bench players). Otherwise you can pick someone who played for 4 minutes with 3 points, 2 rebs, 1 ast and say he'll average over 21 points, 14 rebs, 7 asts if he played 30 minutes. Or someone who only posted great stats over 13 games (Bustnani) or when he played over 30 minutes (BayBay) and say they should be an all-star.
rove
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 48
Joined: Feb 19, 2003
Location: FI-RE B-C! (Clap, clap; clap, clap, clap)
Top

Post#212 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:07 pm by Bsee

KnickerBonkerz wrote:
sca wrote:What a great argument. He fought with JR Smith, so he played a great game.

Lmao where did he say that? Try reading dude...

Scase wrote:Yeah try reading dude.......your point was he played a great game somone disagreed with your statement and he defended it. Therefore he defended the statement of Bayless having a great game and one of the defenses used was that "he got into it with JR smith".

Maybe you should try that reading thing.


One of the defenses I used was that he brought toughness, and an example of that toughness, albeit extreme was his scuffle with Smith. I said it more to bring light to the fact that our team is a bunch of wimps and it should be a no brainer to keep a guy like that around who brings that kind of toughness on top of all the talent he possesses.
Bsee
Ballboy
Posts: 27
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
Top

Post#213 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm by Bsee

rove wrote:Exactly what I wanted to say earlier. Bayless and players of his ilk doensn't play 30+ minutes because they can't do so consistently. Nobody in the NBA is trying to hold him back - every team wants talent at value if they can find it. You think if Bayless can sustain his per 36 rate and produce as a starter, the teams that had him wouldn't start him?

Per stats/projections are only useful when players are somewhat of the same caliber (eg. star vs star, starter v starter, bench players vs bench players). Otherwise you can pick someone who played for 4 minutes with 3 points, 2 rebs, 1 ast and say he'll average over 21 points, 14 rebs, 7 asts if he played 30 minutes. Or someone who only posted great stats over 13 games (Bustnani) or when he played over 30 minutes (BayBay) and say they should be an all-star.


KEVIN LOVE wrote:"He's just not going to take 'No' for an answer ...to go out there and try and get the job done. So he's just waiting for the right opportunity and a chance to break out. I think, Jerryd's right up there with a lot of other guys in our class. He was right up there in high school, with the best players"


funny how I've been echoing that sentiment this entire thread, and Love reinforced that point of view. I had no idea until I last quoted him that that's what he exactly said, but like I said, and like Love said, he just needs the right opportunity and a chance to break out. Great basketball minds think alike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And your point seems kind of illogical. I get the basis of it which I tend to agree with but saying if he could sustain that production over 30 minutes someone would play him those minutes but he can't so they don't is incorrect. We don't know if he can sustain it because why? Because he's never gotten the opportunity to show whether he can or not! Forget his PER 36, when he has played as a starter, playing heavy minutes, he's put up great stats at a consistent rate.
Bsee
Ballboy
Posts: 27
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
Top

Post#214 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:59 pm by gen60

The big thing here is we should of kept bayless rather then calderon and JL3
gen60
Ballboy
Posts: 19
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 18, 2009
Top

Post#215 Re: In Hindsight: Jerryd Bayless
Sat Dec 1, 2012 11:51 pm by Norma Wick

the boy bay had another solid outing going against tony parkour
Image

"You know the sad thing about surprises? It never comes when you expect it" - Jr. Smith
Norma Wick
Junior
User avatar
Posts: 344
And1: 80
Joined: Aug 12, 2012
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Toronto Raptors


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: _Choco_, AndreasLeftCalf, ballboy_forever, bluestar, Bull-E, Darkseid, DG88, dohboy_24, Ganjamayne, Harold_and_Kumar, Huffman, I Rasharted, Jonn, Local_NG_Idiot, Monty2, mwaschkowski, myfaceisonfire, NBJ13, overdose, pbj, Rhettmatic, satyr9, shiggydill, T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS, The Warrior, TheSamMitchell, Tofubeque, trick, UneducatedFan86, vini_vidi_vici, Waylon Mercy