ImageImageImageImageImage

This reffing is unbelievable.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Re: This reffing is unbelievable. 

Post#241 » by DG88 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Tyler Hansbrough gets away with fouls for 20 straight minutes, Amir and JV do not. Be consistent both ways, not just against the Raps.

"Officiating is hard!" doesn't address that at all.

Tyler Hansbrough got away with one (admittedly obvious) foul. Let's not exaggerate, here.

He got away with a foul on Kleiza, Calderon, and Amir. Plus he got a charge call against the Raptors when his feet weren't even set, yet on the other end DeMar got in position with his feet set and it was called a block. Hansbrough got away with a lot more than one foul.
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach
And1: 240

Post#242 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 pm

DG88 wrote:He got away with a foul on Kleiza, Calderon, and Amir. Plus he got a charge call against the Raptors when his feet weren't even set, yet on the other end DeMar got in position with his feet set and it was called a block. Hansbrough got away with a lot more than one foul.

You're aware that your feet can be moving for a charge to apply, right? All that's required is for "legal guarding position" (by definition: to have both of your feet on the floor and facing the opponent) to be established, after which a defender may move laterally or backwards or jump or cover up to protect himself or do anything else he wants to, provided that he doesn't move towards the defender without first re-establishing that legal guarding position. If a player has that legal guarding position, and contact occurs "on the torso" and gains an advantage, then it's a charge.

This does not apply to an airborne shooter, for whom you must have established your legal guarding position prior to the player leaving the ground, nor for players without the ball (for whom time and distance must be provided depending upon several factors).

But the idea that you have to have your feet "set" - when "set" is usually defined as being "stationary" - is false. Players may legally jump after establishing legal guarding position, for instance, and not lose that legal status.

That call that the commentators screamed about so much - and now you, too - was in fact a good call. It was a clear charge. Hansbrough had his feet down and facing the opponent before the player left the floor, he was not moving towards the offensive player and the hit occured on the torso.

Block/charge may be the most difficult call to make on the floor, but that challenge pales in comparison to getting casual observers to understand the rules behind it.
Mr Dynasty
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#243 » by Mr Dynasty » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:
Mr Dynasty wrote:Yeah, everyone is wrong except for you. Even Brian Colangelo and his whole staff are wrong for calling the league into question about the reffing TWICE. Jack Armstrong, Matt Devlin everyone is wrong except for you. Tell us more about how you passed a 3 hour certification course and reffed elementary school ball :roll:

Yeah - a 3 hour certification course.

Except I had to get over 86% on the IAABO written test and over 90% on my floor test, administered by my local board's interpreter.

At my highest level, before I had to stop due to my cancer issues, I was starting to do university womens' games. But yeah - I just took a 3 hour course. And I don't watch the games. And Matt Devlin and Leo Rautins and Jack Armstrong who scream about block/charges issues they aren't even CLOSE to understanding properly know better. For sure.

Oh so you took a test and then reffed an exhibition game between the front desk employees. And what are you talking about, Devlin is one of the best commentators around and Jack is pretty good in his own right. When I watch games they tend to review stuff and be fairly unbiased when it comes to calls.

I can go take the test tomorrow and have the same qualifications you claim to have. They do testing twice a week its nothing special. The test is available online.
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach

Post#244 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Mr Dynasty wrote:Oh so you took a test and then reffed an exhibition game between the front desk employees. And what are you talking about, Devlin is one of the best commentators around and Jack is pretty good in his own right. When I watch games they tend to review stuff and be fairly unbiased when it comes to calls.

It doesn't mean they understand the rules well. Jack Armstrong manifestly does not, even though as a commentator for the most part he's very good. Most coaches I knew did not have much of a grasp on the rules themselves.
I can go take the test tomorrow and have the same qualifications you claim to have. They do testing twice a week its nothing special. The test is available online.

No, they don't "do testing twice a week". They did testing once a year on the board I served with, with observers and a time limit - like an exam in school. (I don't know whether that's by design or happenstance; most of the executive on my board were teachers, so maybe that's just how it worked out.) The floor test - meaning, you are evaluated while refereeing a game by a certified evaluator - cannot be faked.

While old copies of the IAABO test may be floating around online, this year's are not.

Nice try, though.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#245 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Boris, it would be so much more satisfying having these discussions if you would present your (inevitably) contrarian position with an acknowledgement that it adds valuable context to a discussion in which other people have legitimate opposing opinions about complex questions that do not have black and white answers. instead, your posts always come down to "I am right, you are all wrong, and I know better" which is either a) right or, more likely b) horsepoop. Whereas a more nuanced, appreciative and less haughty attitude might actually move some of us from b) to a) over time. Though I realize you may not care about that at all.

Your conveniently omitting to address the very significant story of Tim Donaghy in the context of this discussion about the possibility of there being bias among NBA referees just makes you look silly. Bias does happen, refs do care who wins and loses sometimes (google Tim Duncan vs. Joey Crawford), and if you were to make your points about whether or not referee bias is happening against the raps without all the sermonizing about how terrible we are and how great a ref you are and instead acknowledged that people are right to question if it is happening now, then you might find your analysis making a lot more impact on the consensus around here, instead of coming off as a polarizing snob.

EDIT: then again, if you did that i wouldn't get to write these preachy posts. :wink:
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach

Post#246 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Boris, it would be so much more satisfying having these discussions if you would present your (inevitably) contrarian position with an acknowledgement that it adds valuable context to a discussion in which other people have legitimate opposing opinions about complex questions that do not have black and white answers. instead, your posts always come down to "I am right, you are all wrong, and I know better" which is either a) right or, more likely b) horsepoop. Whereas a more nuanced, appreciative and less haughty attitude might actually move some of us from b) to a) over time. Though I realize you may not care about that at all.

I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you're frustrated because I'm not agreeing with you more than I am. Personally, I'm frustrated that ignorant sportscasters are whipping up a fanbase into a frenzy based on...well, horsepoop (to use your category). As a (former) official, I will admit that I'm far more sensitive to unjust criticism in this regard than most, and more dismissive of bad unjust criticism than almost anybody. When you live as an official and hear every manner of criticism possible - to the extent that you're throwing people out of games when it gets out of hand because there's no other alternative - you eventually want to lash back. This is my day to do so, seemingly. :lol:

When Devlin, Leo and Jack assert that the Raptors have been hard done-by in specific instances, and in those instances are wrong well over 50% of the time, it's hard to take complaints very seriously. Honestly, it is.
Your conveniently omitting to address the very significant story of Tim Donaghy in the context of this discussion about the possibility of there being bias among NBA referees just makes you look silly.

So, because Tim Donaghy took bribes, therefore all officials are on the take. Gotcha.
Bias does happen, refs do care who wins and loses sometimes (is Tim Duncan a whiner? google Tim Duncan vs. Joey Crawford), and if you were to make your points about whether or not referee bias is happening against the raps without all the sermonizing about how terrible we are and how great a ref you are and instead acknowledged that people are right to question if it is happening now, then you might find your analysis making a lot more impact on the consensus around here, instead of coming off as a polarizing snob.

"Polarizing snob" vs. "butthurt ignoramus". That might be one presentation of this disagreement.

Now, I don't actually think you're a butthurt ignoramus. I'm pretty sure I'm not a polarizing snob, your presentation notwithstanding. What I am doing is counteracting an extremely unbalanced presentation of NBA officials and how they impact the Toronto Raptors (which is, honestly, not very much). I'm aware of Donaghy; he's an outlier. I'm aware of the Duncan and Crawford exchange from a half-decade ago; also, an outlier. I'm aware of the time I once waved off a dunk in an All-Star game because the ball on a lob pass was in the cylinder; my ass still has an imprint from my own foot for that one! (By rule, it was basket interference; by common sense, it was an All-Star game.) But even that was an outlier, and one I certainly learned from. (After having everything from my intelligence to integrity to parentage questioned by the colour commentator that game, when I watched the replay.)

General rational behaviour would force us to discuss the regular course of events, not shocking outliers. And neither one of those events took place in the Indiana game. What happened in the Indiana game was that one team plays differently than another and it showed. Were there bad calls in that game? Sure. Were there as many as people here would insist? Not even close. Did it impact the Raptors net negatively? Yeah, maybe. Was it to some huge extent? No. Was it deliberate? Hell, no.
David-Kornel
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#247 » by David-Kornel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:44 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Boris, it would be so much more satisfying having these discussions if you would present your (inevitably) contrarian position with an acknowledgement that it adds valuable context to a discussion in which other people have legitimate opposing opinions about complex questions that do not have black and white answers. instead, your posts always come down to "I am right, you are all wrong, and I know better" which is either a) right or, more likely b) horsepoop. Whereas a more nuanced, appreciative and less haughty attitude might actually move some of us from b) to a) over time. Though I realize you may not care about that at all.

Your conveniently omitting to address the very significant story of Tim Donaghy in the context of this discussion about the possibility of there being bias among NBA referees just makes you look silly. Bias does happen, refs do care who wins and loses sometimes (google Tim Duncan vs. Joey Crawford), and if you were to make your points about whether or not referee bias is happening against the raps without all the sermonizing about how terrible we are and how great a ref you are and instead acknowledged that people are right to question if it is happening now, then you might find your analysis making a lot more impact on the consensus around here, instead of coming off as a polarizing snob.

EDIT: then again, if you did that i wouldn't get to write these preachy posts. :wink:

I truly find it strange why people even read, let alone respond to these narcissistic, schizotypal posts. Don't they realize that this poster is the self admitted greatest ref, coach and advanced statistician that they will ever encounter? We are truly blessed to have him grace our board, and now that we all know that, just ignore and move on.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#248 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:52 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:This explains far more than Raptors fans and Matt Devlin and company are comfortable with admitting. The Raptors have been putting people on the line at epic rates for years.

2009-10: 23rd in opp FT/FGA
2010-11: 27th in opp FT/FGA
2011-12: 30th in opp FT/FGA

That's not all bias; that's because the Raptors are a slow team defensively who don't get to where they need to be in time, enough of the time.

For three years. Go back one more season. Huge difference in defensive speed? How about the year before that? Or the previous year?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,617

Post#249 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

I watch the games on mute and had no idea that Matt and Jack/Leo were even noticing what I was.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach

Post#250 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:For three years. Go back one more season. Huge difference in defensive speed? How about the year before that? Or the previous year?

Of course it changed before then. You had a more veteran team who understood the game better and therefore could keep people in front of them without having to foul constantly.

Does any of this negate the fact that the Raptors have been a very foul-prone team for four years in a row, now? Even Casey is okay with a certain amount of fouling, it seems. He'd rather have us overly aggressive than passively keeping people off the line. I can't say I disagree with him to a great extent.
Superchunk
Senior
And1: 237

Post#251 » by Superchunk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:(By rule, it was basket interference; by common sense, it was an All-Star game.) But even that was an outlier, and one I certainly learned from.

I feel you are contradicting yourself, even if in a small way. You seem to be suggesting that you learned to analyze the context of the game being played and to adjust your calls accordingly...
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#252 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:27 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:
Your conveniently omitting to address the very significant story of Tim Donaghy in the context of this discussion about the possibility of there being bias among NBA referees just makes you look silly.

So, because Tim Donaghy took bribes, therefore all officials are on the take. Gotcha.

Classic example of what i was just talking about. Polarizing, not acknowledging another reasonable point of view, trying to 'win' the argument rather than have a reasonable discussion. I never said or suggested anything remotely like this so why would you recast my point in this extreme way?

"Polarizing snob" vs. "butthurt ignoramus". That might be one presentation of this disagreement.

Glad this was a joke, though yeah i suppose in one sense i am an ignoramus since I never claim to know anything around here, including in this thread, though I do try to consider possibilities and ask useful questions. (A wise man is a man who knows what he doesn't know, right?) As for butthurt, what a dumb word this is. What does it mean anyway? Someone whining I guess. I'd like to see where I've done that? Stand up and be counted, sure, state my case, yep, trash other people with juvenile insults and complain pointlessly? No, not my style.
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach

Post#253 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Superchunk wrote:I feel you are contradicting yourself, even if in a small way. You seem to be suggesting that you learned to analyze the context of the game being played and to adjust your calls accordingly...

In a televised All-Star game in a packed house it's probably not a good idea to wave dunks off and inspire the wrath of the audience based on a basket interference call when the defense really wasn't put at a clear disadvantage.

It was a learning experience, is all.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#254 » by Too Late Crew » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Sure, but to clarify, the study found that the refs showed a bias to a team trailing in a series. That's not exactly something easily computed on a bang-bang play, according to you. So, if they can recognize that kind of existing bias, could they not be corrected by their superiors? After Donaghy, I can understand why people will question the authenticity of the NBA refs, and it's a fruitless argument that you may as well leave behind.

I see multiple references to Donaghy a convicted Felon and Gambling addict.

Its undeniable fact that there have been instances where refs manipulated games for gambling.

So I can only take these Donaghy references to mean that people propose a theory that refs are fixing games for gambling again and in do so it requires them to consistently make calls against the Raptors.

It doesn't make much logical sense to me but it is a theory and one that should be easily verified given enough data. Are the Raptors consistently covering the spread?
Logic would dictate that in order to manipulate the spread and or outcome of games that the refs would sometimes need to make calls against the Raptors and sometimes for the Raptors. I suppose its possible but does it make logical sense that if you were going to gamble ,fix games and not get caught that you would single out one particular team (the raptors) and constantly makes calls against them. Wouldn't it fit a gambling theory better if you spread it out among more than one team or maybe I just don't understand the criminal mind very well.

It only works to use "bad calls happened before so they can happen again" if the cause of the bad calls now is the same as the calls last time. That means gambling.

If the proposed cause is something other than gambling then what happened in the past is mostly irrelevant.
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach

Post#255 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Classic example of what i was just talking about. Polarizing, not acknowledging another reasonable point of view, trying to 'win' the argument rather than have a reasonable discussion. I never said or suggested anything remotely like this so why would you recast my point in this extreme way?

Mr. Pot, we have a Mr. Kettle on Line Two...

You just ignored the entire content of a post to focus on one sentence, and then you didn't even interact with its content. And it's one that has merit: Tim Donaghy took bribes, not anybody else that they've found. You can't go characterizing the entire corpus of NBA officiating as crooked simply because one official - who is no longer in the league and did not officiate these games - took bribes once upon a time. You cannot demonstrate anything nefarious in these particular games, even if the Raptors don't like the way the whistle has gone for them.
Glad this was a joke, though yeah i suppose in one sense i am an ignoramus since I never claim to know anything around here, including in this thread, though I do try to consider possibilities and ask useful questions.

When have you done that? I've seen you lay on the ad homineum argumentation pretty thick, but I haven't seen much of a meaningful response to anything I've had to say. I mean, you've assailed my character pretty readily, but it appears you feel that you're the only one who can speak to these things in your own mind.

I'm sorry that I have more knowledge than you in this field. I'm not the world's greatest referee, I never was, I never pretended to be. I did invest myself pretty hard in that field before I had to stop, though, and I did learn quite a bit while I was doing it. I'm sorry if I brought that knowledge to bear in this conversation which was directly on point.
Kabatnaz
Banned User
And1: 534

Post#256 » by Kabatnaz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:54 pm

I've always wondered if the Refs use Raptor home games to bank calls on visiting teams for when they have to call games in their neck of the woods. Also, do refs have a quota system like police where they need to demonstrate an average of made calls and use crappy teams that nobody pays attention too (Raps) in order to bump their own stats?

Because of this teams constant suckiness, the ACC seems like the ideal place to boost your stats as a ref.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM

Post#257 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:03 pm

All right, Boris, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you actually understood what I was trying to get at at all unfortunately.

And if that's ad hominem (just looked it up) so be it. It's also true.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#258 » by roundhead0 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:11 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:So, because Tim Donaghy took bribes, therefore all officials are on the take. Gotcha.

Actually, the relevant part about Donaghy is not his bribes or the gambling. He explained how the league sent down their specific directives which was a not-so-subtle hint to all games a certain way, how certain refs would get assigned to games to specifically affect the outcomes in certain ways, and how refs would work together in order to deliberately affect making calls (like his story about them not making calls for Iverson).
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#259 » by Too Late Crew » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:15 pm

roundhead0 wrote:
BorisDK1 wrote:So, because Tim Donaghy took bribes, therefore all officials are on the take. Gotcha.

Actually, the relevant part about Donaghy is not his bribes or the gambling. He explained how the league sent down their specific directives which was a not-so-subtle hint to all games a certain way, how certain refs would get assigned to games to specifically affect the outcomes in certain ways, and how refs would work together in order to deliberately affect making calls (like his story about them not making calls for Iverson).

Fine lets look at that.

The theory is that a directive has come down from above to screw the Raptors...

Why what's the benefit?

Get your tinfoli hats on for the Stern hates Canada theories.
Baester
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#260 » by Baester » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:
Mr Dynasty wrote:Yeah, everyone is wrong except for you. Even Brian Colangelo and his whole staff are wrong for calling the league into question about the reffing TWICE. Jack Armstrong, Matt Devlin everyone is wrong except for you. Tell us more about how you passed a 3 hour certification course and reffed elementary school ball :roll:

Yeah - a 3 hour certification course.

Except I had to get over 86% on the IAABO written test and over 90% on my floor test, administered by my local board's interpreter.

At my highest level, before I had to stop due to my cancer issues, I was starting to do university womens' games. But yeah - I just took a 3 hour course. And I don't watch the games. And Matt Devlin and Leo Rautins and Jack Armstrong who scream about block/charges issues they aren't even CLOSE to understanding properly know better. For sure.

You and this Too Late Crew guy are refs and say the refs arent biased. The other side of Raptors homers say they are biased. Each side has their obvious bias. Can we meet half-way and say the Raptors have been on the receiving end so far of some poor officiating? Or should we stay Republican and refuse to give an inch?

Return to Toronto Raptors