ImageImageImageImageImage

This reffing is unbelievable.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Re: This reffing is unbelievable. 

Post#341 » by Los Manos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:57 am

The league really needs to start holding these refs more accountable. In the Premier League and in most sports, if a ref makes an absolutely horrible decision and it changes a game then they will be suspended of their refereeing duties for one game and consequently lose that games pay.

Much like the flopping fines for players, the majority of dodgy ref decisions/borderline flops shouldn't receive punishment but when it's a blatant mis-judgement that decides a game or clear flop then the ref/players should be punishable. It has to go both ways.

That's what I want to hear the media pushing for if the front-offices and coaches are too afraid to say it. There is precedent, other sports hold their referees accountable and maybe with enough pressure Adam Silver will have the balls to push it through.
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#342 » by Ditchweed » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 am

J-Roc wrote:If the Raps really thought they were getting hosed, then Leo and Matt would actually speak with the refs after the game. Or a reporter would call the NBA office for a response to video evidence. But it's all for show.

If they are considered part of the Raptors orgnaization, they would get fined.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#343 » by Waylon Mercy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:01 am

theycallmeZZ wrote:
NBA Ref Stats ‏@NBARefStats

#Raptors visiting #Bobcats with Ed Malloy officiating. Toronto has lost their last 7 games officiated by Malloy. #NBA

Curious. This was tweeted before the game.

:o

Ed Malloy that name rings a bell....He screwed us earlier this season I believe I remember looking
at the boxscore to see who the refs were that screwed us and remember seeing that name just
can't remember which game it was gonna check now.
Phalosopher
Junior
And1: 11

Post#344 » by Phalosopher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:30 am

theycallmeZZ wrote:

#Raptors visiting #Bobcats with Ed Malloy officiating. Toronto has lost their last 7 games officiated by Malloy. #NBA

Wow, petition to have this fool removed ...this will make an example not to take our fing so called organization like a piece of trash tha it is :evil:
Peezy
Senior
And1: 23

Post#345 » by Peezy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 am

Los Manos wrote:The league really needs to start holding these refs more accountable. In the Premier League and in most sports, if a ref makes an absolutely horrible decision and it changes a game then they will be suspended of their refereeing duties for one game and consequently lose that games pay.

Much like the flopping fines for players, the majority of dodgy ref decisions/borderline flops shouldn't receive punishment but when it's a blatant mis-judgement that decides a game or clear flop then the ref/players should be punishable. It has to go both ways.

That's what I want to hear the media pushing for if the front-offices and coaches are too afraid to say it. There is precedent, other sports hold their referees accountable and maybe with enough pressure Adam Silver will have the balls to push it through.

Dude, you don't get it yet. The league tells the refs how to call the games. its not the refs rigging the games its the league. who makes profit from people gambling.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#346 » by Boogie! » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:53 am

theSkinny wrote:I got to chat with Tab McKechnie at a SSH event.. This is a snippet from that conversation.

Me:
"The Raptors have never been good at getting the refs to call it fair"

Tab:
"Tell me about it, i said to Case that in L.A I never had this as an issue.. He said he never did either in Dallas.. It's a difficult thing to overcome."

This is a true story, everyone recognizes it on the team, but until the players overcome it.. There really isn't anything you can do about it except forcing the refs to blow their whistle.

i don't get that sentiment though... how do you FORCE the refs to blow their whistle? you can't. the raptors have shown a willingness to attack the paint. derozan does it constantly, bargnani, lowry... and the thing is repeated attempts DON'T increase the chance of a whistle in the raptors case. once in a while they call it, but most of the time they don't. it's really ridiculous. how can you earn respect when even if you do show a willingness to attack the paint, the refs don't give a ****... it's pretty lame really. the only way the raptors can win games isn't by being more aggressive... it's by being more efficient on offense and force the opponents to take jumpshots and hope they miss them... because when it comes to the battle in the paint, the raptors always get the short end of the stick.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,169

Post#347 » by niQ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:14 am

theycallmeZZ wrote:

Casey needs to call out this fool, or just the refs in general for that matter. Get fined, whatever, do whatever it takes to get the team fired up and the league to take notice that this bs is ridiculous.
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#348 » by theycallmeZZ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:34 am

niQ wrote:
theycallmeZZ wrote:

Casey needs to call out this fool, or just the refs in general for that matter. Get fined, whatever, do whatever it takes to get the team fired up and the league to take notice that this bs is ridiculous.

I wonder what's the record with Scott Foster?
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,927

Post#349 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:41 am

BC needs to speak out like Mark Cuban. If he wants respect he needs to complain and take that fine or the team will lose confidence because DD is getting beat the hell up every game with no calls.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
buckzxl
Junior
And1: 196

Post#350 » by buckzxl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:54 am

Somebody needs to do this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9TVN2HB4o[/youtube]
allweneedisLOVE wrote:how many game winning shots do jordan/kobe have? i don't even think kobe has as many as lebron
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,760

Post#351 » by ItsDanger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:10 am

Like I said earlier, players need to complain more and act like ****. Jose, too nice. Jonas, too polite. Bargs, doesnt give a ****. DeMar too nice. Amir, stares at floor. Jury is still out on Lowry.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#352 » by Indeed » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I sent a complaint to NBA (officiating section) about the last second shot.
Those obvious fouls need to be called.

I encurage people to send them an email:
http://www.nba.com/email_us/contact_us.html
Los Manos
Head Coach

Post#353 » by Los Manos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Indeed wrote:I sent a complaint to NBA (officiating section) about the last second shot.

The funny thing is how it goes entirely unmentioned in the nba.com recaps. Either it was a foul or a block from Kidd-Gilchrist. I assume from the lack of a block in the box score for MKG and the absense of the game story being about MKG's 'heroic last second block', everyone involves knows it was a clear foul on the shooter. I can't say I'm surprised that the NBA have swept it quickly under the carpet and a blanket refusal to even mention the final play of the game but the media need to be doing their job here.

Living in the UK, while the press can be often overbearing especially with their sports coverage at least they hold EVERYONE accountable from the players, refs, coaches and the sports governing bodies, they demand answers, apologies and explanations and don't let up until they are satisfied.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#354 » by J-Roc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Los Manos wrote:
Indeed wrote:I sent a complaint to NBA (officiating section) about the last second shot.

The funny thing is how it goes entirely unmentioned in the nba.com recaps. Either it was a foul or a block from Kidd-Gilchrist. I assume from the lack of a block in the box score for MKG and the absense of the game story being about MKG's 'heroic last second block', everyone involves knows it was a clear foul on the shooter. I can't say I'm surprised that the NBA have swept it quickly under the carpet and a blanket refusal to even mention the final play of the game but the media need to be doing their job here.

Living in the UK, while the press can be often overbearing especially with their sports coverage at least they hold EVERYONE accountable from the players, refs, coaches and the sports governing bodies, they demand answers, apologies and explanations and don't let up until they are satisfied.

In Eric Smith's Fan590 report, he says that Bargnani "couldn't get a shot off" to win the game. That was it.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,964

Post#355 » by Truthrising » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:25 pm

J-Roc wrote:
Los Manos wrote:

In Eric Smith's Fan590 report, he says that Bargnani "couldn't get a shot off" to win the game. That was it.

That's Eric Smith for you..why waste your time?
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Los Manos
Head Coach

Post#356 » by Los Manos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:26 pm

To be honest I think it would do more good to appeal directly to the beat writers and espn guys to start calling the NBA out on the lack of referee accountability as compared to other top sports leagues in the world and the awful amount of blown calls this season and in recent years. If the GM's are chatting about it behind closed doors then it's time the media got off their asses, do their job and apply some pressure on the NBA. The most depressing part of the last decade or so of NBA refereeing is the blind acceptance from media, players, coaches, gm's and now fans that 'this is just how it is'. Sports do evolve and we see that the NBA is not averse to making changes for the betterment of the game. Whether it be increased tools for refs with instant replay, they've done it. With changes to defensive rules and allowance of partial zone defenses, they've done it. Now with the flopping rules the NBA is trying to decrease the number of instances where players deliberately deceive the refs with delayed fines. The next step for the NBA is to also hold the refs accountable when clear errors are made that change the outcome of a game. The lead ref in a game should be accountable for the decisions of the reffing team, much as it is in other sports and be aware that the consequences of not getting it right will result in a warning or two, followed by a suspension of reffing duties for one game and consequently losing that games salary if their errors continue.

This idea the NBA has that the referees need protecting is laughable. They have a job to do and it's what they're paid for. If player flopping brings the game into disrepute then so does referees making blatant incorrect decision that directly effect the outcome of a game. I couldn't help but laugh when watching the nba.com video recap where no mention was made of the end of the game non-call only that '....Bargnani couldn't get it to go down'. As a soccer fan, a poor referee display like that would be poured over by the media and analysed. In the US it seems everybody is in the business of protecting the refs and making excuses for their own poor performance.
Los Manos
Head Coach

Post#357 » by Los Manos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 pm

J-Roc wrote:In Eric Smith's Fan590 report, he says that Bargnani "couldn't get a shot off" to win the game. That was it.

Much the same as the nba.com video recap. Why are Toronto's own media protecting the NBA and the refs? They aren't going to face fines or sanctions if they report events as they see them. Rather pathetic that this towns own media would rather sit on their hands than do their job.
Thelonious
Assistant Coach
And1: 253

Post#358 » by Thelonious » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:31 pm

It's called, "I side against my team, so I must be objective".

Classic.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#359 » by dacrusha » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Peezy wrote:
Los Manos wrote:The league really needs to start holding these refs more accountable. In the Premier League and in most sports, if a ref makes an absolutely horrible decision and it changes a game then they will be suspended of their refereeing duties for one game and consequently lose that games pay.

Dude, you don't get it yet. The league tells the refs how to call the games. its not the refs rigging the games its the league. who makes profit from people gambling.

Yeah right.

And if the league really wanted to make money via its gambling endeavours, it would make sure that the underdog got calls to win games... like last night's underdog, the Raptors.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#360 » by lobosloboslobos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Peezy wrote:

Yeah right.

And if the league really wanted to make money via its gambling endeavours, it would make sure that the underdog got calls to win games... like last night's underdog, the Raptors.

Are you for real? You're using one game as a measure of this? On top of that, if we were the underdog last night and we lost by one point we almost surely beat the spread, which is what gamblers care about. Although it seems most serious gamblers play the over/under in the NBA anyway, which is much easier to influence as a ref than who wins and by how much. But either way one game isn't the point. we have lots of evidence based on donachy's testimony and statistical analysis that certain refs deliver certain kinds of results, wither it is for gambling purposes or because the NBA wants them to.

For example, in game 6 of the San Antonio series with OKC last year, at home in OKC, the NBA assigned the ref who was #1 in home team wins out of all refs in the league PLUS it assigned Joey Crawford, the only ref in the league to have been suspended for actively calling games unfairly against one team - and who was that team? San Antonio. And you want us to believe that that happened BY CHANCE? That it was a fluke? smh

EDIT: To be clear, if you took all 65 NBA refs and listed them in order of the most to the least statistically and strategically likely to deliver an OKC win, the NBA chose the #1 and #2 refs on that list to work the game. Do you think that this may have happened intentionally or do you think it was a fluke? Can you think of any reason why the NBA would have wanted OKC to win? (especially given that Boston was at that time leading Miami 3-2 and the NBA risked having two old boring and low-drawing teams make the finals by knocking out the two young superstars-on-the-rise high-drawing and highly marketable teams?)

Return to Toronto Raptors