ImageImageImageImageImage

This reffing is unbelievable.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Re: This reffing is unbelievable. 

Post#316 » by theSkinny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 am

I got to chat with Tab McKechnie at a SSH event.. This is a snippet from that conversation.

Me:
"The Raptors have never been good at getting the refs to call it fair"

Tab:
"Tell me about it, i said to Case that in L.A I never had this as an issue.. He said he never did either in Dallas.. It's a difficult thing to overcome."

This is a true story, everyone recognizes it on the team, but until the players overcome it.. There really isn't anything you can do about it except forcing the refs to blow their whistle.
chimpston17
Sixth Man
And1: 644

Post#317 » by chimpston17 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:50 am

fatal9 wrote:
ReggieSlater wrote:I've watched every game this year. I hate people who whine about officiating. I hate when our players whine about officiating. I know there is no league mandate that says TOR should be on the ass end of calls. All that being said, in the IND game and the end of the UTAH game I think, because of a number of random factors, we got the short end of the stick as far as calls go. I have my own theory why. The two guys that seemed to be getting hacked the most and never getting calls (DeRozan and Kleiza) whined on plays where they had no business whining on. Plays where they either clearly fouled another player (Kleiza) or whined when they clearly didn't get touched (DeRozan). I think after the a while the refs get fed up with whinny players, especially when they aren't established like KG or Wade. I think Refs are influenced by stars because everyone is. They hold a bit of weight because they are so important. When Kleiza and DeRozan are out their bitching about calls they have no business bitching about the refs will just ignore them. No conspiracy. But I do think we got the short end of too many 50/50 calls.

+1

lol @ this thread. People who think FTAs should even out game to game have no idea what they are talking about. It's partly perpetuated by the commentators who are incredibly biased, Devlin acts like Raptors are getting shafted every game, Jack is a little bit fairer but he still has a bad tendency of acting like Raptors deserve every call in the paint and calls phantom travels on the other team (while staying quiet when a Raptor player does the same move). You are not only watching the game with your own team bias but you're also listening to guys who reinforce your biases. There are people who b!tch about calls here even after replays CLEARLY show otherwise. I seriously feel bad for you if you can't enjoy the game without b!tching about officiating every game.

Raptors were the worst team in the league last year at committing fouls and putting opponents on the line (highest FT/FGA ratio in the league). This isn't something that's new, Raptors struggle to play defense without fouling. That's what happens when you get a team full of bad defenders and young players who the coach is trying to make commit on that end. The perimeter guys can't stay in front of their man, the bench bigs are undersized, the roster is very young and full of poor defensive players like Bargnani who put their teammates in bad positions...that's a recipe for a lot of foul calls. Learning to play defense physically without fouling is a SKILL that veterans in this league have. Aside from the 4th quarter of the Indy game (which by the way was a road game where refs were letting contact slide on both ends all game - but it got a bit excessive late), I've had no problems with the officiating.

Regardless, refs aren't the reason your team sucks and has sucked and will continue to suck.

lol I take it you haven't watched the games. The last two games actually I haven't had a problem with but before that it was terrible. I don't need Devlin to tell me what a foul is. And I'm not just going on stats, I'm watching the games and seeing raptor players get hammered with no calls and other teams getting alot more calls in the same situation.

I was at the home opener and it was like NBA Jam defense out there for the pacers the could knock guys out of the air with their body and there was no call. I don't need you to tell me Bargnani is a poor defensive player, we all know. When you actually watch the games it's pretty clear something has been pretty uneven with the officiating
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#318 » by MEDIC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:57 am

theSkinny wrote:I got to chat with Tab McKechnie at a SSH event.. This is a snippet from that conversation.

Me:
"The Raptors have never been good at getting the refs to call it fair"

Tab:
"Tell me about it, i said to Case that in L.A I never had this as an issue.. He said he never did either in Dallas.. It's a difficult thing to overcome."

This is a true story, everyone recognizes it on the team, but until the players overcome it.. There really isn't anything you can do about it except forcing the refs to blow their whistle.

Yup, they all know it. It's almost like it's the NBA's "dirty little secret". Players have made similar comments in the past when going from contender to a bottom feeder.

No idea why more organizations aren't more vocal about it. I guess if you're a bottom feeder trying to get a high draft pick, why would you complain. The more losses the better.

When you're a team actually trying to squeak into the playoffs, it actually becomes a big issue.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,759

Post#319 » by ItsDanger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:09 am

One thing I have noticed is that players on better teams complain a LOT more than our players do.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#320 » by Clutch Carter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:24 am

Raps complain to league, the trend gets reversed... hmmmmm...

#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

Peezy
Senior
And1: 23

Post#321 » by Peezy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:14 am

^^^ Wow. just wow. hopefully this will be the beginning of some fairly called games for the raptors. we arnt down to much yet , our season can still be saved with a few wins this week.

thanks for these graphs. they really paints clear picture.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#322 » by roundhead0 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 am

MEDIC wrote:Yup, they all know it. It's almost like it's the NBA's "dirty little secret". Players have made similar comments in the past when going from contender to a bottom feeder.

No idea why more organizations aren't more vocal about it. I guess if you're a bottom feeder trying to get a high draft pick, why would you complain. The more losses the better.

When you're a team actually trying to squeak into the playoffs, it actually becomes a big issue.

I think it's a cultural issue from the refs: you don't get the calls until you've "earned it". I mean, Bosh eventually had a pretty easy time getting calls with the Raps, but he had star status.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#323 » by SkywalkerAC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:34 am

I think a big factor coming out of the offseason was the directive to combat "flopping" and regain some of the physicality of yesteryear. The Raps came out on on the wrong side of that exchange but you can already see Demar adapting - ie not driving into the body of defenders to draw the foul. Yes, we got jobbed but I believe it was due to the refs attempting to implement the league office mandate from league office.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#324 » by Too Late Crew » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

[quote="Clutch Carter"]Raps complain to league, the trend gets reversed... hmmmmm...

I had a flat tire last week. After I got it fixed I spent many hours complaining about my flat tire. So what did was invent a very special flat tire preventer formula (I can't tell you all the ingredients for copyright reasons but Primo Pasta is one of them)

I painted the stuff on all my tires and guess what ? NO FLAT TIRES in over a week. The stuff really works!

As an added bonus it makes the tires smell like an Italian kitchen once they heat up.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,759

Post#325 » by ItsDanger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Watching the Lakers game last night, the refs were brutal. Howard gets so many cheap calls.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Jakinov
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#326 » by Jakinov » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 pm

I haven't had a chance to watch the last few games, but I did see the 6 minute video from the first Indiana game and only really found one obvious bad no call where Valanciunas was hit with no call. I think if you filter out the calls/no-calls where the interpretation of the rule is wrong by fans on this board, then there really isn't a big discrepancy at all.

Many of Derozan's drives that I've heard the complaints about are him driving into players that are established and maintaining their verticality, which are good no-calls.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#327 » by Too Late Crew » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Watching the Lakers game last night, the refs were brutal. Howard gets so many cheap calls.

Given that Howard is shooting 50% from the FT line I wonder who its really helping though..the Lakers or the opponents. :D
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#328 » by dacrusha » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Watching the Lakers game last night, the refs were brutal. Howard gets so many cheap calls.

Yeah, it's pretty cheap when he's got 2 guys slapping and hanging from his arms every time he makes a power move inside. How dare they make those calls.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#329 » by Waylon Mercy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:48 am

I've watched this team get screwed for 17 years...

I also watch League Pass for years now and have never seen a team get hosed more then the
Raptors year in and year out. If we didn't have pansies running this organization there should
be a lot of hoopla over it.

The NBA clearly has a Canadian bias and out of the 4 main sports has the worst reputation for
being a rigged league.

I know a lot of people who are disgusted with the NBA because of the officiating and have
stopped watching. I really hope the league starts incorporating more international refs.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,216

Post#330 » by goinrogue » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 am

Honest question, can the Raptors sue?
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#331 » by J-Roc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 am

If the Raps really thought they were getting hosed, then Leo and Matt would actually speak with the refs after the game. Or a reporter would call the NBA office for a response to video evidence. But it's all for show.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,537

Post#332 » by C_Money » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:51 am

Somebody needs to step up and take the fine or this is just going to happen all season long.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#333 » by RedX » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:54 am

I don't even get mad any more. That's life boys, we're gonna get **** forever. I, just happy I get to watch basketball and enjoy 3 quarters. I almost don't even care about the fourth.

First 6 games I was screaming at my tv. Now I get up calmly, walk upstairs and sleep in peace.

The refs hate us, the league hates us. Might as well accept it and not let it ruin your day.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,901

Post#334 » by G R E Y » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:02 am

nvm not even worth the trouble getting upset anymore...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
HiMyNameIsTrey
General Manager
And1: 12,646

Post#335 » by HiMyNameIsTrey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:09 am

Triano needs to break some clipboards on our behalf

Return to Toronto Raptors