ImageImageImageImageImage

Chisholm: It's time to trade Andrea Bargnani

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Do you agree?

Yes, I want Bargs moved.
88%
No, we should be patient.
12%

Total votes: 362

ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Re: Chisholm: It's time to trade Andrea Bargnani 

Post#561 » by ballislife » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 am

I can definitely see a Bargs/Calderon for Pau deal getting done. The Lakers need a backup PG like Calderon and Bargs would fit in ideally in D'Antoni's system in LA. Plus they'd save a ton of money in the future.

For us, we'd get a legit big man to pair with JV... he'd teach JV a LOT going forward. Plus we'd make the playoffs... works for both sides. We could probably add something to get Blake as our backup... it's a perfect match.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,255

Post#562 » by Scase » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 am

dagger wrote:
Scase wrote:As for Jose I honestly have no interest with trading with OKC unless we get our pick back.

Here's where I feel differently. I'm not very concerned about the damn pick. It's a shiaty draft, and it lacks what we need most - a small forward and a point guard. Our need for a small forward is obvious. Our need for a point guard, less so, but with Jose a UFA and Lowry entering a contract year, I would love to have a youngish backup with a bit of upside, especially since Lowry is a bit injury prone.

Acquiring Maynor - an RFA - and Perry Jones, who can play SF, would give us options at those two positions. The pick, if it's top 3, stays with us and outside Shabazz all you find right now in slots 4-10 are bigs. I think it would be more valuable to us to acquire young assets with a bit of experience as well as upside rather than put another green one in the rotation.

Fair enough that sounds like a fairly reasonable outcome.

nickster_c wrote:My ideal trade would be something like

Bargnani + Fields for Pau Gasol

Val is the future of this franchise, and I think we need a veteran big who can pair well with him and help his development. Everyone wants to toss in Bargnani + Calderon for Gasol, but I think Fields is a better fit. He's been terrible (although possibly injured), but he played great under D'Antoni in his rookie season so the Lakers may actually want him. This gets us out of an extra year of Bargnani and Fields to give us a bit more financial flexibility, and as I mentioned before we have one of the best do it all bigs to teach Val what he needs to be successful.

Our lineup would then become something like:

Lowry/Calderon
Derozan/Ross
Craptacular/Kleiza
Ed Davis/Amir
Gasol/Val

As an added benefit we get some extra playing time for Ed and we have a chance to see what he's worth. Hopefully the upgrade in our frontcourt gets us into the playoffs so we can retain our pick, and then in the offseason we throw a bunch of money at Aminu who will be an UFA since NO declined his 4th year option.

Calderon takes a pay cut to stay with the only franchise he's known (and to play with Gasol). Valanciunas keeps improving, and maybe Special Ed is actually a decent starting PF in this league. Then when Gasol's contract is up he can take a substantial play cut to stay here and come off the bench. Everyone talks about how he's declining, but Tim Duncan/Garnett are even older and have more mileage on their legs, and yet their per minute numbers have been remarkably consistent with their career numbers even as they age. I see no reason why Gasol can't maintain the same trajectory as he ages.

What is with these stupid stupid trade suggestions. Guess I'll just requote myself....

Scase wrote:
Mak wrote:Bargnani + Amir for Gasol

This isn't NBA2kX the other team actually has to agree to the trade you know....
Props TZ!
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#563 » by Volcano » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:04 am

Hero wrote:Sorry to break it to you but NOBODY wants Fields with that contract.

After his surgery, if Fields gradually gets his shot back and becomes a better player than his rookie season, then his contract is justifiable and not a bad deal.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,255

Post#564 » by Scase » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 am

Volcano wrote:

After his surgery, if Fields gradually gets his shot back and becomes a better player than his rookie season, then his contract is justifiable and not a bad deal.

Those are some pretty big "ifs".
Props TZ!
WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#565 » by WigginsNation » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 am

ballislife wrote:I can definitely see a Bargs/Calderon for Pau deal getting done. The Lakers need a backup PG like Calderon and Bargs would fit in ideally in D'Antoni's system in LA. Plus they'd save a ton of money in the future.

For us, we'd get a legit big man to pair with JV... he'd teach JV a LOT going forward. Plus we'd make the playoffs... works for both sides. We could probably add something to get Blake as our backup... it's a perfect match.

I would love this deal, but Blake would have to be included, in order to be our backup pg.

Also we'd have to make another deal to land a sf. Id proceed to trading Ed Davis and our other "assets" to Denver for Wilson Chandler, though a strong push should be made for Galinari. Galinary would be a better fit for floor spacing thanks to his 3pt shot, which we would lack if we trade for Chandler.

Lowry/Blake/JL3
Derozan/Ross/Anderson
Galinari/Kleiza/Fields
Gasol/Amir
Jonas/Gray

Now thats not a bad team!
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#566 » by Volcano » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am

^I'm a bit wary of Gallo..how's his effort, D, work ethic, bball IQ? anyone watch him play all the time?

Scase wrote:
Volcano wrote:

Those are some pretty big "ifs".

Yeah..but I don't think it's impossible for a player to improve on his rookie season. Almost every player in the league has done it (except Bargnani!! j/k..or am I?)
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#567 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Seriously, we're not getting HOF, top 20 player in the league Pau Gasol for hot trash Bargnani. Bargnani is barely above MWP's level for trade value. The Lakers would be angry at us for trolling them by offering Bargnani for Pau, after they get done laughing
elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 565

Post#568 » by elmer_yuck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm

So Bargnani goes 7 for 19 with 5 rebounds in 40 minutes, and that's being hailed as a good game?
Ed Davis must think he's living in an alternate universe to be playing behind this stiff.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#569 » by C.Boshly » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 pm

elmer_yuck wrote:So Bargnani goes 7 for 19 with 5 rebounds in 40 minutes, and that's being hailed as a good game?
Ed Davis must think he's living in an alternate universe to be playing behind this stiff.

You know Ed Davis is a scrub right?
nickster_c
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#570 » by nickster_c » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Scase wrote:What is with these stupid stupid trade suggestions. Guess I'll just requote myself....

Scase wrote:
Mak wrote:Bargnani + Amir for Gasol

This isn't NBA2kX the other team actually has to agree to the trade you know....

1. I said ideal trade. As in, in a perfect world where the Raptors are a properly run franchise and Bargnani shows some consistency, this is a trade where you can build a case for both teams. The thing is that BC has been trying to rebuild his Phoenix squad, so we have some of the parts here for that. Now that the Lakers have an improved foundation for that type of team, so some of our players fit quite well into that system.

People are tossing out Gasol for Josh Smith + Korver/Morrow, but that might actually make their spacing up front even worse as well as giving them 2 60% FT shooters in crunch time. Fact of the matter is that Bargnani is a lazy defender and rebounder, but a plus offensive player. To get the most out of him, a team will need to pair him next to a 5 who can anchor the defense and control the boards, which is a pretty slim list. However, the Lakers do have that with Dwight, and as the 3rd/4th option on offense Bargnani will probably be able to put up Rashard Lewis in 07-09 type numbers (pretty similar to Bargnani 09-10 numbers), which is perfect for D'Antoni's system.

There's also the little fact that with the Lakers being tax payers for the foreseeable future, their options of improving the team are going to be pretty limited. Everyone on this board loves to hate on our players (OMG, trade Bargnani/Demar/Jose, they aren't perfect!), but that doesn't mean that they don't have any value. Fields is overpaid, but he's not THIS bad. Also he played really well under D'Antoni until April of 2011 when his shot disappeared after the Carmelo trade. So you can judge his worth by 75 games in his rookie season where he had a defined role and fit it perfectly. Or you can judge him by the roughly 75 games since, where he's had to adjust to a big trade, coaching change, a shortened season, and what now looks like a pre-existing injury that may have affected him last year.

A 2010-2011 Fields + Bargnani would be great fits for the Lakers' system, while making them younger and more athletic. You can expand the trade to include Calderon while taking back a bad contract (Duhon or Blake) from the Lakers.

2. You seem to think that OKC would be okay with taking on 2 million a year in salary over 3 years, when they basically traded Harden for that difference in salary so they can maintain roster flexibility in the future. So that's a great grasp you have on how the NBA works there.

OKC is not going to give up the Raptor's pick just to move Perkins, when they can just amnesty him. Heck if they actually agreed to move Perkins + pick for Bargnani, they'd have essentially traded Harden for Martin, Bargnani, Lamb, and a first.

And for us we would've somehow traded Bargnani for Perkins and Lowry.
Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Post#571 » by Starks1994 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Any interest in Amare?
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#572 » by TiKusDom » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 pm

hot trash amare for hot trash bargnani.... lateral move at best
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#573 » by ballislife » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm

I'd deal Bargnani and a bad contract for Amare. At least it gives us a star... he was playing some of the best ball of his career before Melo got there. Bargnani is a waste of height. Doesnt rebound, doesnt post up... he merely shoots contested 3's.
lander
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#574 » by lander » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6160588

Bulls trade is wishful. The OKC trade is the best we can get for Bargs at this point.

Any trade with OKC has to involve our pick. The rest of the package doesn't even matter to me.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,754

Post#575 » by Badonkadonk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Starks1994 wrote:Any interest in Amare?

Christ no.

All of my fears were realized when he started injured this season, automatically making the Knicks a better team :(
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#576 » by HomieOmey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am

dagger wrote:
HomieOmey wrote:Who cares what little Perkins does to stop Dwight when they're still going to have to pay Perkins next season (when they likely don't want to). If Bargnani works out for them, they still have a big body who has always been solid enough as a man defender, and best case scenario they finally get some production from their front court. With Perkins on the roster, they probably don't re-sign Kevin Martin. Having some offensive fire power off the bench could come in handy.

Do any of you ever try to ask the obvious question: How does trading Bargnani to OKC help OKC re-sign Kevin Martin? Bargnani makes more than Perkins! I mean I know Bargnani hate warps the brain, but if you are going to propose a trade, try to make it work for the other team. Just try, a teeny little bit.

Re-read what I wrote. Bargnani doesn't help them keep Martin, but if they're likely to lose Martin, Perkins' lack of production hurts them even more so they might like what Bargnani could potentially bring to the table to replace both Perkins and Martin long term. They might prefer Martin to both Perkins and Bargnani, of course, in which case they could be more likely to deal Perkins for an ending deal and the best young big they can get.
TurboZ
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#577 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:11 am

TiKusDom wrote:hot trash amare for hot trash bargnani.... lateral move at best

I'm going to call Bargnani, Hot Trash Bargnani from now on until he is traded
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#578 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 am

Does anyone remember at the start of the season when bargnani was our best player, and a key component to our playoff run?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#579 » by JWiLL02 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 am

HomieOmey wrote:
dagger wrote:
HomieOmey wrote:Who cares what little Perkins does to stop Dwight when they're still going to have to pay Perkins next season (when they likely don't want to). If Bargnani works out for them, they still have a big body who has always been solid enough as a man defender, and best case scenario they finally get some production from their front court. With Perkins on the roster, they probably don't re-sign Kevin Martin. Having some offensive fire power off the bench could come in handy.

Do any of you ever try to ask the obvious question: How does trading Bargnani to OKC help OKC re-sign Kevin Martin? Bargnani makes more than Perkins! I mean I know Bargnani hate warps the brain, but if you are going to propose a trade, try to make it work for the other team. Just try, a teeny little bit.

Re-read what I wrote. Bargnani doesn't help them keep Martin, but if they're likely to lose Martin, Perkins' lack of production hurts them even more so they might like what Bargnani could potentially bring to the table to replace both Perkins and Martin long term. They might prefer Martin to both Perkins and Bargnani, of course, in which case they could be more likely to deal Perkins for an ending deal and the best young big they can get.

Martin is one of the best pure scorers in the last 30 years, Bargnani doesn't have the potential to replace anything he offers that team. He'd be a net negative with his horrible rotational defense and I just don't see the drive to consistently be an efficient option in any system, even if he's better than he's been with us. He's as much of a "Brooks" player as he is a "Casey" player.

Considering how help conscious Ibaka is, his man would feast on the offensive glass with Bargs missed rotations. We're seeing it a lot with Jonas and Ibaka roams far more defensively.

I wouldn't be surprised if OKC attempts to bring back Martin next year if this level of success continues.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#580 » by JN » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 am

No to Amare - contract.

Only way I would take on a bad contract like tat for AB is if it was a perfect fit for our team at a position of need. And since Amare is a 4, certainly not tat perfect fit.

Return to Toronto Raptors