ImageImageImageImageImage

Chisholm: It's time to trade Andrea Bargnani

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Do you agree?

Yes, I want Bargs moved.
88%
No, we should be patient.
12%

Total votes: 362

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Chisholm: It's time to trade Andrea Bargnani 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Chisholm joins the chorus of media questioning whether it's time to move Bargs (Ryan Wolstat has been open about that for a while):

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=409482

(The following is actually the end of his story, so click the link if you plan to read the whole thing)

Bargnani is a relic of a different time in Raptor-land, a time when offensive prowess was valued above all else, a time when the team was defined by a different cast of characters and a different guiding philosophy. For fans, he is a nightly reminder of what this team is supposed to be moving away from. The club wants to be seen as a gritty, defence-first outfit that wins with heart and hustle, and Bargnani is simply the antithesis to that style. He no longer belongs. Like so many Raptors before him, he has teased fans with what he could be and has refused to live up to that standard.

Perhaps more than anything, that is the reason the Raptors have to trade Bargnani. They can no longer shrug their shoulders at players that don't work to max-out their talent. That can no longer be a defining characteristic of the club. They cited DeMar DeRozan's work ethic as a big reason why they felt obligated to extend his contract. They cited Jonas Valanciunas' heart and hustle as big factors in not only drafting him fifth but being willing to wait a year for his arrival. They love the intensity of guys like Kyle Lowry and Amir Johnson. Those guys represent what the club says it wants to be about, which by extension has to mean that Andrea Bargnani does not.

If this club is so eager to move into the next phase of their evolution, then they have to admit that those thirteen games didn't mean what they thought they did. They have to work to expunge from the roster the pieces that don't fit the personality that the team so desperately wants to adopt, and that that process has to start by - finally - moving Bargnani out of Toronto.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,132

Re: Chisholm: It's time to trade Andrea Bargnani 

Post#2 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 pm

It was time a long time ago.
david5773
Banned User
And1: 94

Post#3 » by david5773 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Yea but trade him for someone useful, not a 2nd rounder a-la barbosa.
If nothing interesting presents itself there is no need to trade him.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#4 » by gerrit4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

I think that a good scoring stretch four might be quite valuable right now. Teams like the Lakers and OKC could really benefit on the offensive end from having a guy like Bargs.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#5 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:42 pm

david5773 wrote:Yea but trade him for someone useful, not a 2nd rounder a-la barbosa.
If nothing interesting presents itself there is no need to trade him.

To get back someone useful you need to give up someone useful. ;)
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#6 » by KL78192020 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

A year or so behind, but finally everyone but BC has come to the realization he won't work out for us. I have no idea what is market value is.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#7 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Join the revolution.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#8 » by LLJ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

gerrit4 wrote:I think that a good scoring stretch four might be quite valuable right now. Teams like the Lakers and OKC could really benefit on the offensive end from having a guy like Bargs.

Wrong, if he gets on a roll then BC will just think "This is it! He's turned a corner!"
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#9 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:45 pm

gerrit4 wrote:I think that a good scoring stretch four might be quite valuable right now. Teams like the Lakers and OKC could really benefit on the offensive end from having a guy like Bargs.

Lakers are set with Gasol who is a vastly superior player. OKC is one of the few teams that might have a use for him. We should have tried to package him for Harden (obviously with other players).
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#10 » by Big Shot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:46 pm

I agree. This team can't move forward with AB on the roster. As long as he is here, Casey has to play him ahead of AJ, ED and JV. The biggest thing is that his game is nowhere near a game of a PF.
Guy Smiley
RealGM
And1: 491

Post#11 » by Guy Smiley » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:46 pm

It is time for Bryan to make a move that reinstills faith in this franchise. A lottery pick is a good start in any IL MAGO package. I will literally be over the moon once this lazy, overrated, often injured, excuse making, bricklaying, adnoid removal having, flu getting, Achilles heel hurting, pansy that prances around the perimeter gets shipped out.

Thankfully a guy like DD keeps battling through and is a player that a team can rally around. DeMar has moved into my top 3 current favourites on the team. JV is by far the most appealing followed by Jose (don't judge me Reignman).

There can be renewed hope in the franchise once the IL MAGO era has been laid to rest.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#12 » by mowcrowbar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 pm

We can only hope. After all, it is up to one man.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,222

Post#13 » by Shaazzam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Trade him for anything that's not a net negative ie Starbury :P.

Yes, anything.

Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#14 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

For him to work as a stretch 4, he needs to stick to a catch-and-shoot game, which he's pretty good at. Instead, what usually happens is, he ends up dribble driving from the 3 pt line, and taking an awkward shot the majority of the time, which is playing into the hands of the defence, because teams are trying to run him off the 3pt line, and that's exactly what ends up happening.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#15 » by Pchu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

I don't think it's a question of whether to trade him or not, but what you can get for him?

I really don't know his market value right now...
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#16 » by HighOctane » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:50 pm

It's counter intuitive to basically push a player out of a team via fan displeasure and sell them at a lower price because someone's reputation is on the line.

At the same time, this has been a long time coming, and if this is what it takes to get Bargnani out of here, so be it. Losing really helps filter out the inefficiencies of a team and Bargs would be a start(I would've moved him after his second year.) I hope that the public recognizes that there are other bad contracts on this team that we should move, and that we should try to avoid taking in even worse long term contracts.
Baester
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#17 » by Baester » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:51 pm

OKC for Toronto's pick and salary to match.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#18 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes,
But Kinda.

Bargnani's contract in the landscape of contracts isn't terrible; its not great but its hardly the albatross its made out to be by some.

I think that I would sooner have our offense come from the 1/2/3 and have the 4/5's largely contribute with put-backs off offensive boards then have our primary offensive player at the four.

As for what to get for him;
I don't want four quarters for our dollar; as in I don't want a bunch of pieces for Bargnani.

If we deal him, its either deal him with stuff for one piece or don't deal him.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Kohanz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 992

Post#19 » by Kohanz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm not against trading him, but why now, when his value is at one of its lows. He's not producing according to his contract. At least let him find a brief hot streak and then start the trade talks, otherwise you're getting pennies on the dollar.
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#20 » by 22haytham22 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:It was time a long time ago.

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot

Return to Toronto Raptors