yardbarker

Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and future wife)

Moderators: tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin, Undefeated, DG88, Rhettmatic, Alfred, FluLikeSymptoms, itbobby007, Morris_Shatford

Post#101 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm by The_Hater

dagger wrote:A great read on DeMar

You can see why the team would have erred on the side of extending him.

Aside from a tremendous work ethic, he's looking to buy a house for him and his fiancé Kiara - a basketball fanatic herself.

Learn about how he developed his post up game last summer, too,

http://www.goodwinsports.com/wp-content ... uality.pdf

Don't let the link fool you. It's actually a Sportsnet Magazine article. Goodwin sports is his agent/rep.


People weren't calling extending DeMar an error, they were calling the amount of the extension an error. And it still is because he hadn't done enough to warrent such a huge annual salary. There's a salary cap in place so you can't overpay every player on the team without hurting all the moves that follow.

The league is full of great guys with great attitudes and great work ethics, it doesn't mean that they all deserve huge contracts that don't match their abilities.
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 38,206
And1: 1,371
Joined: May 22, 2001
Top

Post#102 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:12 pm by Reignman

Luckily it looks like its working out, 23 years old with a 19 PER, and his extension doesnt kick in till next year. He needs to keep this up for the season and his 9.5 becomes a pretty good deal.
Reignman
Banned User
Posts: 19,281
And1: 391
Joined: Aug 12, 2004
Location: 2014 playoffs at the ACC!
Top

Post#103 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 pm by Lawnmower Man

dagger wrote:
david5773 wrote:I have a feeling Kiara has a realgm account


Well, I hope if she does she has most of you on ignore.


Dagger = Kiara
Lawnmower Man
Veteran
Posts: 2,691
And1: 20
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
Top

Post#104 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm by The_Hater

Reignman wrote:Luckily it looks like its working out, 23 years old with a 19 PER, and his extension doesnt kick in till next year. He needs to keep this up for the season and his 9.5 becomes a pretty good deal.


19.0 PER? He's currently at 16.5. Big difference.
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 38,206
And1: 1,371
Joined: May 22, 2001
Top

Post#105 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm by dagger

The_Hater wrote:
dagger wrote:A great read on DeMar

You can see why the team would have erred on the side of extending him.

Aside from a tremendous work ethic, he's looking to buy a house for him and his fiancé Kiara - a basketball fanatic herself.

Learn about how he developed his post up game last summer, too,

http://www.goodwinsports.com/wp-content ... uality.pdf

Don't let the link fool you. It's actually a Sportsnet Magazine article. Goodwin sports is his agent/rep.


People weren't calling extending DeMar an error, they were calling the amount of the extension an error. And it still is because he hadn't done enough to warrent such a huge annual salary. There's a salary cap in place so you can't overpay every player on the team without hurting all the moves that follow.

The league is full of great guys with great attitudes and great work ethics, it doesn't mean that they all deserve huge contracts that don't match their abilities.


You can interpret my words the way you want, but my position is that extending him now, as opposed to waiting for next summer, was a gamble financially.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
dagger




RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 31,788
And1: 3,095
Joined: Aug 18, 2002
Top

Post#106 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:13 pm by brownbobcat

The_Hater wrote:People weren't calling extending DeMar an error, they were calling the amount of the extension an error. And it still is because he hadn't done enough to warrent such a huge annual salary. There's a salary cap in place so you can't overpay every player on the team without hurting all the moves that follow.

In reality, though, that's the same thing. I don't think he's worth that much, but I don't doubt someone would've given him the money. I think any offer significantly below $35 mil/4 yrs would've meant no extension.
brownbobcat
Starter
Posts: 2,466
And1: 366
Joined: Jun 8, 2006
Top

Post#107 Re: Article: DeMar's life in hoops.. (and fut
Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 pm by The_Hater

dagger wrote:
The_Hater wrote:[You can interpret my words the way you want, but my position is that extending him now, as opposed to waiting for next summer, was a gamble financially.



Can't say I agree with that. He's clearly a great kid with a great work ethic but he played at a below average level for 3 full seasons and it wouldn't be tough to argue that he regressed from season 2 to season 3. From that large sample size and that regression, BC, as he usually does, extends him at far above market value instead of letting the situation play out and allowing the market to dictate his value.

He plays hard and he's obviously athletic but he's still poor defensively despite always giving a solid effort. And he has played well so far this season but that's only a 10 game sample size but he looked improved at the beginning of last season as well and we both know how that turned out.

I can't imagine that BC couldn't have extended DD for far less $$$ or saved $$$ by letting the season play out. Now he's just another overpaid rotation player just like many others on the roster.
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 38,206
And1: 1,371
Joined: May 22, 2001
Top

Previous

Return to Toronto Raptors


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bassmastert, BlackIce, blueseeka, Bull-E, Chamilitary Man, Collie, EpikHigh, h2k, HBP, hell_razor, hipbone, JShuttlesworth, KrazyP, lander, Local_NG_Idiot, malachii, mintsa, Raptors_Dynasty, raptorsnation_5, Raptr, Rebel INS, SharoneWright, steluta, strifea, tdotboyy, Yeezus, yodude, youngRAPZ