ImageImageImageImageImage

How did Calderon rack up 18 assists?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

C3SIUM
Starter
And1: 693

Re: How did Calderon rack up 18 assists? 

Post#41 » by C3SIUM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 pm

He also had un characteristic turnovers and horrible passes/dump offs. He should have easily been 20+ assists
Abba Zabba
Rookie
And1: 100

Post#42 » by Abba Zabba » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 pm

J-Roc wrote:Heard a bit on the radio of him and Amir hooking up again. It's unfortunate that Amir plays his best with Jose.

Yes, it is unfortunate that 2 of our players have really good chemistry... :roll:
Thanks TZ
redshortz
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#43 » by redshortz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm

lol poor Jose, dude just can't please anyone around here. Imagine that he plays an amazing game. Runs the floor like a true PG should, racks up 18 assists, steps up and helps seal a W with an injured Lowry... and people are upset. No matter how you break it down. Getting 18 assists is no easy task. Blame it on him holding the ball for too long, blame it on whatever you want. We got the win didn't we? Name another backup PG in the league that can get 18 assists in a game. Go ahead... I'll wait. People need to stop being stupid and recognize that Jose can play.. his D is still suspect but you have no argument against his ability to run an offense.
Pearljam
Junior
And1: 15

Post#44 » by Pearljam » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:00 pm

13 points and 12 assists as a starter this year.

Scrub...
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#45 » by Death Knight » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:Never mind, I was right, you are ignorant

I'm smart, because I don't need to watch Calderon to know how he played. If after 6+ years you still don't know a player's game, then you're just wasting your time. Watch another sport.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#46 » by pkiskool » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Pearljam wrote:13 points and 12 assists as a starter this year.

Scrub...

Green font?
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#47 » by dacrusha » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Jose only throws fake assists.

And the refs/league office had it in for the Raptors again.

That should satisfy the conspiracy nuts.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#48 » by MrBojangelz71 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Death Knight wrote:

I'm smart, because I don't need to watch Calderon to know how he played. If after 6+ years you still don't know a player's game, then you're just wasting your time. Watch another sport.

No, you are not smart, quite the opposite as a matter a fact.

When you come onto a forum filled with posters that actually watch games, and make posts based on factual information from those games, you quickly become identified as the ignorant idiot.

WHen you call out a PG, stating that he isn't a play maker, right after a game were he throws 17 dimes, you are identified as an idiot.

WHen you call out a PG that has just put up a triple double, yes you guessed it, you sound like an idiot.

See, you can keep not watching games, then make posts about something that you have no clue about, but you will sound like an idiot. After a while, you stop sounding like an idiot, and you become a full fledged idiot.
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 991

Post#49 » by GameChannel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm

All the sarcasm intended within this thread aside, the Jose haters only need to look at one thing: Casey didn't sit him down even for 1 minute in the 2nd half. That's how crucial Jose is to the raps at the moment. Sure he is a flawed player in more than one ways and isn't half as good as Lowry, but the dude is carrying the raptors right now and even Casey realizes that if he has to win games, Jose is paramount.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#50 » by SDM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Because he's actually a pretty good player.
quickymgee
Rookie
And1: 48

Post#51 » by quickymgee » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Jose shockingly took over the damn game
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#52 » by Death Knight » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:28 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:
Death Knight wrote:

No, you are not smart, quite the opposite as a matter a fact.

When you come onto a forum filled with posters that actually watch games, and make posts based on factual information from those games, you quickly become identified as the ignorant idiot.

WHen you call out a PG, stating that he isn't a play maker, right after a game were he throws 17 dimes, you are identified as an idiot.

WHen you call out a PG that has just put up a triple double, yes you guessed it, you sound like an idiot.

See, you can keep not watching games, then make posts about something that you have no clue about, but you will sound like an idiot. After a while, you stop sounding like an idiot, and you become a full fledged idiot.

Let me ask you a question. If Calderon is so great as you describe him to be, why isn't this team better? He is in the same camp as Bargnani in that their flaws/faults/bads far outweighs the goods that they bring to the team. A lot of us know this by now. It's not too late for you to join.

Let me ask another question. Who would you take, Calderon or Lowry?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#53 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:47 pm

I think Calderon played great. He knows where the mis-match and who is the open man. He earns some of his assists, and the youtube highlight from a page ago was clearly indicated some of those aspects.

Although he cannot create for himself after his injury, he can still spot open players for mis-match, and create plays for others. Meanwhile, his main problem is on the defense, which is obviously has nothing to do with this thread.

The irony of this game is, the gap between Toronto and Orlando is huge; and the gap between Boston and Toronto is the exact same thing, where Rondo posted 20 assists. Orlando played 4-6 rookies, while Toronto played 2-3 rookies, and Boston none. That should indicate something, perhaps.
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#54 » by Snooch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Im pretty sure that the answer to the threads title is.

Because he likes to pass the ball.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User

Post#55 » by MrBojangelz71 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Death Knight wrote:
Let me ask you a question. If Calderon is so great as you describe him to be, why isn't this team better? He is in the same camp as Bargnani in that their flaws/faults/bads far outweighs the goods that they bring to the team. A lot of us know this by now. It's not too late for you to join.

You have such a hate on for Jose that it is blocking you from being able to understand exactly what is taking place here.

1st off, this isn’t a Jose vs. Lowry debate, who is the starter, who is the better PG ect…

Any halfwit understands that Kyle is a far better PG and a better starter for us. But as of right now, KL is injured, and until he gets healthy, Jose is starting for us.

Now, a normal person could look at this a feel good knowing that our backup PG is capable of a 4:1 assist to TO ratio, capable of putting up 15 plus assists a night, double doubles, triple doubles along with a getting 2 of our mere 3 wins during that span. Yet, you have your panties in a knot because it’s Jose.

In Lowry’s absence, Jose has been about as solid of a PG as a team could hope for to replace their starter. It is a luxury that many other teams do not have. No one is arguing over who should be the starter with this team, Lowry’s starting role is not being debated here. All that is being stated here is that we have a very good backup PG on this team, and he will at least keep us formidable in Kyle’s absence.

You are acting so insecure over Jose’s ability to fill in during Kyles’ absence you completely become delusional in your hate for a guy that is keeping us semi competitive. His numbers, his play, his leadership should all be commended, as he has been exceptional. When Kyle comes back, if Jose can maintain this type of play, we will have one of the best PG duos in the NBA. Why that would piss you off is beyond me. We may not be a winning team with Jose as our starter, but we could be a very good team with him as our backup.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,222

Post#56 » by goinrogue » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:34 pm

We would be an even better team with a starting-quality SF!

Having a really good back-up point guard is a luxury but it's not a necessity. What IS necessary is having a solid starting small forward, and that's something we could potentially have if we trade Calderon, either alone or in a package. He's expiring and he's playing well at the moment. Now is not the time for sentimental attachments - his good play is going to increase his trade value and we need to take advantage by finally getting that small forward we so desperately need.

Lowry is more than capable of being the starting guard and playing 35-minutes per game and, despite what some will tell you, he's not injury prone. We can have an 'ok' back-up point guard (a Steve Blake type) to fill the back-up role. But getting someone like Danny Granger or even Wilson Chandler could be the missing puzzle piece that FINALLY makes us a playoff team! Having a great back-up that can start some games (I stress some because he can't start against fast point guards) is a luxury, but it's not going to make us a playoff team. A starting SF will and Jose is our best trade chip right now thanks to his expiry and strong play.
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#57 » by Death Knight » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:
Death Knight wrote:

You have such a hate on for Jose that it is blocking you from being able to understand exactly what is taking place here.

1st off, this isn’t a Jose vs. Lowry debate, who is the starter, who is the better PG ect…

Any halfwit understands that Kyle is a far better PG and a better starter for us. But as of right now, KL is injured, and until he gets healthy, Jose is starting for us.

Now, a normal person could look at this a feel good knowing that our backup PG is capable of a 4:1 assist to TO ratio, capable of putting up 15 plus assists a night, double doubles, triple doubles along with a getting 2 of our mere 3 wins during that span. Yet, you have your panties in a knot because it’s Jose.

In Lowry’s absence, Jose has been about as solid of a PG as a team could hope for to replace their starter. It is a luxury that many other teams do not have. No one is arguing over who should be the starter with this team, Lowry’s starting role is not being debated here. All that is being stated here is that we have a very good backup PG on this team, and he will at least keep us formidable in Kyle’s absence.

You are acting so insecure over Jose’s ability to fill in during Kyles’ absence you completely become delusional in your hate for a guy that is keeping us semi competitive. His numbers, his play, his leadership should all be commended, as he has been exceptional. When Kyle comes back, if Jose can maintain this type of play, we will have one of the best PG duos in the NBA. Why that would piss you off is beyond me. We may not be a winning team with Jose as our starter, but we could be a very good team with him as our backup.

If you agree that we need Lowry back to be the true starting PG for this team, because a Calderon lead team like it has been for the past several years, then why are you vilifying me for looking beyond 1 game? Have I not made it very clear that I'm looking at the big picture here and not just what takes play on a game by game basis? I'm looking at Calderon the 6+ year Raptors and everything I've said has been based on that. One game, two games, three games, etc...isn't going to change who Jose Calderon is. 18 assists? Good for him. He has always been able to rack up assists in a bunch. There's 6+ years prove of this. But what does it mean when it comes to winning? It hasn't been very impactful, because there's major flaws with his game that holds this team back.

I have no problem with Calderon being a back up pg as long as he is actually going to play such a role. I don't know of any true back up pg that plays 20+ mpg. I don't want to see none of this 2 PG system garbage where they're both out there at the same time. Calderon should be playing about 12-15mpg as a true back up pg and nothing more. You play him any longer, and this team will endure the same issues that it has been exposed to with him on the floor.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#58 » by lucky777s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Jose isn't 'holding back' the Raptors from anything. You must be confusing him with Bryan Colangelo.

Jose is a complimentary piece. He makes your other 4 guys work better together offensively and keeps the O flowing but he can't make a bad team good.

Jose has been here for the 47 win season, the horrible D seasons, the improved D season, the 2nd leading fast break team season, and the slow the pace down season. He fits into any system you ask him to play. He does what the coach wants him to do.

One thing he can't do is become a 20ppg consistent scorer. He does not have that in him. And dynamic PGs have taken over the league the last 7 years.

His other weakness is that he is a below average defender. But what PG in the league shuts down opposing PGs one on one in space? or in the PnR game. I have yet to see that guy play in the nba. In the last 2 minutes of a close game certain PGs can do a good job making the opposing PG work really hard and bother them. That is the best you can hope for. Star players almost never get stopped unless you double them hard. PGs are getting into the lane at will every single night and Jose ain't playing for all 30 nba teams.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#59 » by Spragga » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Jose always plays well against the Magic. Seeing how much he holds and controls the ball he should have high assist numbers. But playing him 40+ minutes again is just begging for The Hammy part 3. Methinks he stays for the rest of the season.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
MrBojangelz71
Banned User

Post#60 » by MrBojangelz71 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Death Knight wrote:

If you agree that we need Lowry back to be the true starting PG for this team, because a Calderon lead team like it has been for the past several years, then why are you vilifying me for looking beyond 1 game? Have I not made it very clear that I'm looking at the big picture here and not just what takes play on a game by game basis? I'm looking at Calderon the 6+ year Raptors and everything I've said has been based on that. One game, two games, three games, etc...isn't going to change who Jose Calderon is. 18 assists? Good for him. He has always been able to rack up assists in a bunch. There's 6+ years prove of this. But what does it mean when it comes to winning? It hasn't been very impactful, because there's major flaws with his game that holds this team back.

I have no problem with Calderon being a back up pg as long as he is actually going to play such a role. I don't know of any true back up pg that plays 20+ mpg. I don't want to see none of this 2 PG system garbage where they're both out there at the same time. Calderon should be playing about 12-15mpg as a true back up pg and nothing more. You play him any longer, and this team will endure the same issues that it has been exposed to with him on the floor.

I am vilifying you because you are posting crap in threads designed to applaud Jose for the solid job he has done in Lowry's absence. I am so tired if posters such as yourself, always having to inject your negative, redundant crap, regardless of how off point it is.

There are plenty of threads created for the sole purpose of bashing players and this team. Why not stick to those threads, where posters such as yourself can band together in a circle jerk of negativity.

Instead, you come into a thread that was created to applaud Jose's triple double, his 17 plus assists night ect.. and post crap that had nothing to do with the game, a game you bloody well didn't even watch. Basically, you haven't a clue as to what you are speaking about, which makes you ignorant.

You talk about the big picture, but you have your head so far shove up your ass you are only seeing your own crap.

The big picture, right now, is our starting PG is out, and we are lucky enough to have a backup PG that can provide some cover while he heals. The big picture is that instead of being 0-10 we are 3 -7, 2 of those wins being heavily influenced by Jose's productivity.

This board is plagued with negativity, posters such as yourself, that regardless of the reality, always need to piss on anything remotely positive. Its what is destroying what use to be a great place to come and talk intelligently about the game. Now, its nothing more than a bag of negative crap.

Return to Toronto Raptors