ImageImageImageImageImage

Dominic McGuire discussion thread

Moderators: tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin, itbobby007, Alfred, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Undefeated, Rhettmatic, FluLikeSymptoms

User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 13,417
And1: 585
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#1 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:41 am

As much as people emphasize on effort, rebounding, defense and hustles, I have not heard anyone mentioned about his hard work, getting offensive board and playing great defense with the starting unit. I believe he is doing a great job and under appreciated at the moment.

He has made improvement on his open shot around the 18 feet, which helps spreading the floor. His defense is also decent, guarding the offensive wing player. I believe he is still learning and adjusting, and I hope he makes use of this opportunity. I believe his steals with Lowry back to give more ball pressure, and his offensive rebounding may slightly increase with more playing more time with the starters.
User avatar
witnessraps
General Manager
Posts: 9,836
And1: 3,280
Joined: Sep 08, 2010
Location: bruno bandwagon
 

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#2 » by witnessraps » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 am

Im impressed. Good defender and shot blocker and hes shown he can hit an open shot.
User avatar
J Dilla
RealGM
Posts: 19,321
And1: 1,447
Joined: Apr 04, 2007
Location: **** free world, 905

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#3 » by J Dilla » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:46 am

I wouldn't expect the world from him. Decent ball handling skills, not a reliable shooter, excellent defender - good traits for a temporary starting SF

The 11 points or whatever he had today was a big bonus. I don't expect him to have that type of offensive game on a consistent basis. Casey will use him to guard the opposing team's best swingmen until Fields gets back (hopefully never)

Or who knows maybe with opportunity he gets here he might surprise us all
Image
Zeno
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,747
And1: 1,130
Joined: Jun 06, 2001

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#4 » by Zeno » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 am

Really the only reason he's starting over Kleiza is because they can't put Kleiza, Jose, Bargs and a rookie out there at the same time. Once Lowry comes back, it will make alot more sense for Kleiza to start in his place. He is a real liability offensively. He should only be playing in very select defensive situations.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please adviseā€¦.

Dan G.
User avatar
zilby
RealGM
Posts: 13,059
And1: 2,462
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: T-Dot
     

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#5 » by zilby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:51 am

D-Mac has been a solid pickup. Great defense and hustle, getting those gritty points. Only negative that's extremely noticeable is his questionable shot selection at times, but if he's knocking those open jumpers than that's all we really need.
Image
http://www.turbozone.ca/
Raptors/Blue Jays/New York Jets
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 13,417
And1: 585
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#6 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 am

J Dilla wrote:I wouldn't expect the world from him. Decent ball handling skills, not a reliable shooter, excellent defender - good traits for a temporary starting SF

The 11 points or whatever he had today was a big bonus. I don't expect him to have that type of offensive game on a consistent basis. Casey will use him to guard the opposing team's best swingmen until Fields gets back (hopefully never)

Or who knows maybe with opportunity he gets here he might surprise us all


He was a little excited to take a contested shot today, but 5-9 FGM-A is at good efficiency. If he can add more fast break points/assists, he can probably look better on the stats sheet, but that may have to wait for Lowry.

The only difference between him and James Johnson is, perhaps James Johnson can block from behind with his leaping ability. Also James Johnson is a good pick and roll player, who can bounce pass to the player at the location to score.
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 13,417
And1: 585
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#7 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:56 am

Zeno wrote:Really the only reason he's starting over Kleiza is because they can't put Kleiza, Jose, Bargs and a rookie out there at the same time. Once Lowry comes back, it will make alot more sense for Kleiza to start in his place. He is a real liability offensively. He should only be playing in very select defensive situations.


I am not sure, we are hiding DeRozan with McGuire guarding the best wing player.
McGuire makes mistakes, and sometimes trap on the screen as much as DeRozan, but McGuire makes opponent shoots jump shot, and he contested with his hand at the ball level almost everytime.

However, sometimes he may over help in the post, because Jonas is already there, and Bargnani can hold his ground.
User avatar
SHFT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,902
And1: 762
Joined: Mar 09, 2012

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#8 » by SHFT » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 am

witnessraps wrote:Im impressed. Good defender and shot blocker and hes shown he can hit an open shot.


What have you been watching? I actually get angry when he shoots he hit one open shot today and I was still pissed that he shot it. He should NEVER try to create his own shot and should just cut to the basket and use his athleticism to get buckets. Seriously, I would rather have Demar shoot 3's all day then watch Dominic McGuire shoot.
Image
PHANTOMPHOENIX
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,477
And1: 46
Joined: Dec 03, 2003
Location: Future Waived Hall of Famer.

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#9 » by PHANTOMPHOENIX » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am

If McGuire becomes useful in any way, Fields is going to even appear more useless.
Image
Badonkadonk
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,606
And1: 1,286
Joined: Jul 11, 2012

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#10 » by Badonkadonk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:09 am

SHFT wrote:
witnessraps wrote:Im impressed. Good defender and shot blocker and hes shown he can hit an open shot.


What have you been watching? I actually get angry when he shoots he hit one open shot today and I was still pissed that he shot it. He should NEVER try to create his own shot and should just cut to the basket and use his athleticism to get buckets. Seriously, I would rather have Demar shoot 3's all day then watch Dominic McGuire shoot.

He's prolly watching the player who is shooting 53% on the season (5/9 today).

He's obviously not the most fluid scorer, but at least he seems to be avoiding stupid decisions most of the time (so far). I'll take that from a guy who is supposed to bring 'the other stuff' (i.e. hustle, defense etc.) first.
Image
RyanW
Senior
Posts: 742
And1: 76
Joined: Jan 03, 2012

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#11 » by RyanW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 am

JJ's replacement.
Image
User avatar
SkywalkerAC
General Manager
Posts: 9,772
And1: 1,147
Joined: Oct 31, 2008

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#12 » by SkywalkerAC » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 am

anyone else seeing a bigger, less talented Demar Derozan out there? Dom might be trying to mimic DD's shooting form or it's just a coincidence but either way Mr McGuire's jump shot is...interesting.
User avatar
bonjovi0308
Starter
Posts: 2,133
And1: 308
Joined: Jul 15, 2003

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#13 » by bonjovi0308 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:59 am

I give credit where credit is due. Nice pickup from bc. However fields might have an uphill battle against d mac when hes back...
Image
E-TRAK
Pro Prospect
Posts: 980
And1: 8
Joined: Apr 22, 2007

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#14 » by E-TRAK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Image

this brother is very BLESSED in the sex department..had to be every bit of 9'' r 10'' inches at least thats what it looked and felt like


[url]
http://www.talk-sports.net/nba/girlfrie ... ic_McGuire[/url]

:lol:
Image
User avatar
SDM
RealGM
Posts: 18,969
And1: 698
Joined: Jan 08, 2004

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#15 » by SDM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:47 pm

talk-sports.net's girlfriend page is the greatest website ever. Look up the Shaun Marcum entry.
Image
User avatar
orangutooth
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,758
And1: 90
Joined: Dec 18, 2007
Location: dk country

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#16 » by orangutooth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:55 pm

the guy can shoot, defend and make layups unlike fields. is there any reason that fields should play another minute for the raptors this year unless both mcguire and anderson are injured at the same time?
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
User avatar
dagger
RealGM
Posts: 32,758
And1: 4,373
Joined: Aug 19, 2002
       

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#17 » by dagger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:59 pm

orangutooth wrote:the guy can shoot, defend and make layups unlike fields. is there any reason that fields should play another minute for the raptors this year unless both mcguire and anderson are injured at the same time?


I don't find him to be the plus defender he is made out to be and I cringe when he takes a shot. That he has one good game doesn't change anything for me. He's a nice end of bench player.
For sports oriented Twitter content, follow @accfanto
User avatar
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
Posts: 3,440
And1: 1,890
Joined: Oct 22, 2012
     

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#18 » by KnickerBonkerz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Dominic is a really sweet guy met him a couple of months ago @ a club we exchange #'s texted a few times and later i met up with him and the night was very ''passionate" he is very "ENDOWED" laawd! anyway we have since kept in contact and every time he's in my city we "hook up'' he smokes hella tree's though but super cool dude and funny


Lol i wouldn't take anything said on that forum as 100% fact, but if this is true looks like we got a James Johnson clone minus the attitude
Image
User avatar
niQ
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,531
And1: 1,327
Joined: Jun 14, 2011

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#19 » by niQ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:19 pm

KnickerBonkerz wrote:Lol i wouldn't take anything said on that forum as 100% fact, but if this is true looks like we got a James Johnson clone minus the attitude


That's pretty much what I said when we acquired him. We got our replacement James Johnson.
Image
Credits TZ
User avatar
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
Posts: 3,440
And1: 1,890
Joined: Oct 22, 2012
     

Re: Dominic McGuire discussion thread 

Post#20 » by KnickerBonkerz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I still prefer JJ though, he's much more talented offensively especially shooting the 3
Image

Return to Toronto Raptors