ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, tsherkin, Morris_Shatford, Alfred, FluLikeSymptoms, Rhettmatic, itbobby007, DG88, Undefeated

User avatar
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 27,640
And1: 8,937
Joined: Jul 25, 2008
Location: You don't know my location but I know yours
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#421 » by DG88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm

fredericklove wrote:That's great, I'm assuming Wiggins' physicality is too much for Vonleh's skinny build to handle. Do a game recap for me at the end wiill ya, much appreciated.

Yup Vonleh was on Wiggins to start off and got 2 quick fouls in the first few minutes. The first was a bailout fouling Wiggins on a late shot clock 3 point attempt and the other was fouling him on a Wiggins drive. Wiggins pretty much own him physically throughout the game but coach Fulford didn't assign Wiggins on Vonleh to keep him out of foul trouble. New Hampton pretty much zoned the whole game to kill Huntington's fastbreak offense though it didn't limit Wiggins that much since he drew a ton of fouls. There are two things that Wiggins needs to improve on. 1) His jumpshoot needs some refining and that will come with practice. 2) He doesn't show much of a mid range game. He's mainly spot up shooting or driving into the paint.
Image
Dwane Casey: "We put Andrea in to matchup with Luke Walton and for rebounding"
:rofl:
User avatar
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,256
And1: 1,837
Joined: Nov 17, 2005

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#422 » by Scraptor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Well, part of the process has to be trying to figure out who is going to unexpectedly collapse next year. And you also have to think about who's going to want to shed salary.

-The Jazz are going to have a tough time transitioning from Millsap/Jefferson to Favors/Kanter; their moves at the deadline and this offseason will have an impact, but I doubt they'll be able to make a ton of noise in FA.
-Philly is a bit of a mess and I can see them falling apart if Bynum doesn't deliver or walks. But I would think they aren't interested in tanking.
-Phoenix is bad and will likely be bad for a while. I don't know exactly where their heads are at with regards to salary.
-The Grizz want to shed salary for sure.


So then, before this trade deadline:

1. Send Lowry to Utah. This would probably have to be based around Marvin Williams, but take back Marvin (or other salary) plus picks. Hopefully Utah's 2014 and/or the Warriors pick (top 7 protected this year, top 6 next year). The Jazz are in win-now mode for the playoffs and desperately need a PG.

2. Trade Jose and either Demar or Fields to someone looking to shed salary and willing to give up a pick to do so. This could look something like this:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bdgfaoq
And maybe say we get Minny's pick, and if necessary, Minny gets a future pick from Memphis. This works with Fields out instead of Demar. Whatever needs doing to get picks in our hands. But the essence is packaging Jose plus Demar/Fields for salary + picks.

Then, this offseason:

3. Amnesty Bargnani. $10.75mm space freed up.
4. Send Kleiza's and Gray's $7.3mm in expirings and use the Bargs space for another bad contract (s) plus a pick. Say for Frye and Beasley plus a Suns pick?

Honestly, I haven't done a thorough job here, but if there is a will, there is a way. It would take some creativity and the cooperation of ownership, but it would also take a GM who has no attachment whatsoever to the current roster, one who can objectively assess each player on his (or her) own merits, as the case may be.

The likelihood of any of the picks hitting the jackpot is slim... but why not amass the greatest probability possible?
User avatar
arbsn
Starter
Posts: 2,474
And1: 474
Joined: Feb 03, 2011

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#423 » by arbsn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Scraptor wrote:Well, part of the process has to be trying to figure out who is going to unexpectedly collapse next year. And you also have to think about who's going to want to shed salary.

-The Jazz are going to have a tough time transitioning from Millsap/Jefferson to Favors/Kanter; their moves at the deadline and this offseason will have an impact, but I doubt they'll be able to make a ton of noise in FA.
-Philly is a bit of a mess and I can see them falling apart if Bynum doesn't deliver or walks. But I would think they aren't interested in tanking.
-Phoenix is bad and will likely be bad for a while. I don't know exactly where their heads are at with regards to salary.
-The Grizz want to shed salary for sure.


So then, before this trade deadline:

1. Send Lowry to Utah. This would probably have to be based around Marvin Williams, but take back Marvin (or other salary) plus picks. Hopefully Utah's 2014 and/or the Warriors pick (top 7 protected this year, top 6 next year). The Jazz are in win-now mode for the playoffs and desperately need a PG.

2. Trade Jose and either Demar or Fields to someone looking to shed salary and willing to give up a pick to do so. This could look something like this:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bdgfaoq
And maybe say we get Minny's pick, and if necessary, Minny gets a future pick from Memphis. This works with Fields out instead of Demar. Whatever needs doing to get picks in our hands. But the essence is packaging Jose plus Demar/Fields for salary + picks.

Then, this offseason:

3. Amnesty Bargnani. $10.75mm space freed up.
4. Send Kleiza's and Gray's $7.3mm in expirings and use the Bargs space for another bad contract (s) plus a pick. Say for Frye and Beasley plus a Suns pick?

Honestly, I haven't done a thorough job here, but if there is a will, there is a way. It would take some creativity and the cooperation of ownership, but it would also take a GM who has no attachment whatsoever to the current roster, one who can objectively assess each player on his (or her) own merits, as the case may be.

The likelihood of any of the picks hitting the jackpot is slim... but why not amass the greatest probability possible?



Pipe dreams.


Teams don't 'give' away lottery picks for capspace in a year that is supposed to be the best draft since 2003
Sterling_Archer
Rookie
Posts: 1,054
And1: 47
Joined: Oct 21, 2012

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#424 » by Sterling_Archer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Going back to wiggins I agree he needs to refine his shot more he is pretty inconsistent and like said earlier has no real mid range game. What he is great at is attacking the basket and when he needs is asked to he is a very good defender. He needs to work on his shooting as Ina pull up mid range type game coming off screens and then refining his shot so he can consistently hit from deep. Wiggins needs to add these type of elements to his game if he wants to be an elite offensive type player like Durant.
User avatar
40 Guzzle
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,937
And1: 133
Joined: Feb 10, 2004
Location: Toronto Distillery
Contact:
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#425 » by 40 Guzzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I really hope he chooses UNC, they are on a down year and he can really make his 1 year there special

Ohio State & Florida State would also be great landing spots, both those schools would give him free reign offensively

If he goes with coach Cal he will just be another top prospect spending his 1 year in Lexington, no big deal, just another addition to the chorus of Calipari one & dones
Olde English 800 cause that's my brand / Take it in a bottle, 40, quart, or a can
User avatar
40 Guzzle
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,937
And1: 133
Joined: Feb 10, 2004
Location: Toronto Distillery
Contact:
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#426 » by 40 Guzzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 pm

couple UK fans in my fantasy league who post good info on the Wildcats

they're convinced Cal is going to try to push one or two more players out the door along with Nerlen Noels to maintain his streak of putting talent in the draft when he knows good & damn well that no one except Noels is ready for the L

according to Kentucky Sports Radio, they've moved on to Julius Randle, Wiggins is off their radar & Florida State has him in the pocket
Olde English 800 cause that's my brand / Take it in a bottle, 40, quart, or a can
fredericklove
Banned User
Posts: 24,573
And1: 6,394
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Toronto Raptors Playoffs Trauma Treatment Center
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#427 » by fredericklove » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 am

DG88 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:That's great, I'm assuming Wiggins' physicality is too much for Vonleh's skinny build to handle. Do a game recap for me at the end wiill ya, much appreciated.

Yup Vonleh was on Wiggins to start off and got 2 quick fouls in the first few minutes. The first was a bailout fouling Wiggins on a late shot clock 3 point attempt and the other was fouling him on a Wiggins drive. Wiggins pretty much own him physically throughout the game but coach Fulford didn't assign Wiggins on Vonleh to keep him out of foul trouble. New Hampton pretty much zoned the whole game to kill Huntington's fastbreak offense though it didn't limit Wiggins that much since he drew a ton of fouls. There are two things that Wiggins needs to improve on. 1) His jumpshoot needs some refining and that will come with practice. 2) He doesn't show much of a mid range game. He's mainly spot up shooting or driving into the paint.


Aite thx for the recap, yeah he shows no midrange which is fine if he's in attack mode at will, the thing is once he's inside the 3 point line, he looks for tear drop in the lane rather than pull up for shots. I say he should rather improve more on his triple threat/jabstep moves cos they aren't bad and he can definitely improve on them. Having those moves will improve better chances of his defender jumping on his fakes, that way he can fake defenders and attack much easier.

Jumpshooting as in the shooting stance/technique or just the consistency of it? Cos he leans in when he shoots, he still got range but I can't see him drive stop then pull up a jumper without getting blocked, especially with NBA defenders going tight on him every possession.
fredericklove
Banned User
Posts: 24,573
And1: 6,394
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Toronto Raptors Playoffs Trauma Treatment Center
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#428 » by fredericklove » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 am

40 Guzzle wrote:couple UK fans in my fantasy league who post good info on the Wildcats

they're convinced Cal is going to try to push one or two more players out the door along with Nerlen Noels to maintain his streak of putting talent in the draft when he knows good & damn well that no one except Noels is ready for the L

according to Kentucky Sports Radio, they've moved on to Julius Randle, Wiggins is off their radar & Florida State has him in the pocket


Having Wiggins is obviously perfect for every team, but on a team that has Harrison twins and Young, its wings stacked good already. Missing out on Wiggins isn't going to affect a whole lot, I think they need more work on the bigs despite having Johnson. Not sure if Cauley-Stein and Wijter will stay but Randle is the missing piece for their roster he's that guy that will balance out the roster as every player position will be filled w/ talent. If not Randle, go for Gordon.
User avatar
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 27,640
And1: 8,937
Joined: Jul 25, 2008
Location: You don't know my location but I know yours
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#429 » by DG88 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 am

fredericklove wrote:
DG88 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:That's great, I'm assuming Wiggins' physicality is too much for Vonleh's skinny build to handle. Do a game recap for me at the end wiill ya, much appreciated.

Yup Vonleh was on Wiggins to start off and got 2 quick fouls in the first few minutes. The first was a bailout fouling Wiggins on a late shot clock 3 point attempt and the other was fouling him on a Wiggins drive. Wiggins pretty much own him physically throughout the game but coach Fulford didn't assign Wiggins on Vonleh to keep him out of foul trouble. New Hampton pretty much zoned the whole game to kill Huntington's fastbreak offense though it didn't limit Wiggins that much since he drew a ton of fouls. There are two things that Wiggins needs to improve on. 1) His jumpshoot needs some refining and that will come with practice. 2) He doesn't show much of a mid range game. He's mainly spot up shooting or driving into the paint.


Aite thx for the recap, yeah he shows no midrange which is fine if he's in attack mode at will, the thing is once he's inside the 3 point line, he looks for tear drop in the lane rather than pull up for shots. I say he should rather improve more on his triple threat/jabstep moves cos they aren't bad and he can definitely improve on them. Having those moves will improve better chances of his defender jumping on his fakes, that way he can fake defenders and attack much easier.

Jumpshooting as in the shooting stance/technique or just the consistency of it? Cos he leans in when he shoots, he still got range but I can't see him drive stop then pull up a jumper without getting blocked, especially with NBA defenders going tight on him every possession.

It's more so consistency with his shot, just needs more reps and refining. Wiggins did hit a 3 point shot but miss his other 4 attempts. He also bricked a few free throws, where he got most of his point. He ended up with 19 points and 10 rebounds and 3 assists. I'll say this about Wiggins he's got great basketball IQ and knows where his teammates are on the floor. He made some good passes in the zone finding open teammates. He's not as skilled as Jabari Parker but his athletic gifts and first step pretty much give him a good edge against his opponents.
Image
Dwane Casey: "We put Andrea in to matchup with Luke Walton and for rebounding"
:rofl:
User avatar
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,256
And1: 1,837
Joined: Nov 17, 2005

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#430 » by Scraptor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:57 am

arbsn wrote:Pipe dreams.


Teams don't 'give' away lottery picks for capspace in a year that is supposed to be the best draft since 2003


That's why most GMs will use protection. But sometimes you get lucky anyway; look at Portland and Damian Lillard.

Utah likely won't believe it's headed for the lottery next year. They also have two picks and have plenty of youngsters already.

Minnesota won't believe they are lottery bound either. That's why Kahn gave away a pick for Budinger, and the 2012 draft was fairly deep considering all the college players who stayed in school because of the lockout.

Phoenix is a stretch, but maybe you add value like throwing in Ross or Ed to get a better pick or no protection. IMO the only real keeper on our team is Val.

The 2014 draft is solid, but the reason we're already hearing talk about salary constraints is because the new CBA is going to squeeze the midmarket teams more than ever before. All I was trying to do was show ways for us to clear salary and build assets for the future. Clearing the decks increases the odds of us sucking and thereby getting Wiggins.
User avatar
God Squad
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,832
And1: 234
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#431 » by God Squad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:29 am

40 Guzzle wrote:I really hope he chooses UNC, they are on a down year and he can really make his 1 year there special

Ohio State & Florida State would also be great landing spots, both those schools would give him free reign offensively

If he goes with coach Cal he will just be another top prospect spending his 1 year in Lexington, no big deal, just another addition to the chorus of Calipari one & dones

Roy Williams sucks as a coach imo. I'd rather him go to Kentucky or Florida.
Image
fredericklove
Banned User
Posts: 24,573
And1: 6,394
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Toronto Raptors Playoffs Trauma Treatment Center
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#432 » by fredericklove » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 am

God Squad wrote:
40 Guzzle wrote:I really hope he chooses UNC, they are on a down year and he can really make his 1 year there special

Ohio State & Florida State would also be great landing spots, both those schools would give him free reign offensively

If he goes with coach Cal he will just be another top prospect spending his 1 year in Lexington, no big deal, just another addition to the chorus of Calipari one & dones

Roy Williams sucks as a coach imo. I'd rather him go to Kentucky or Florida.


Well he doesn't really suck, but he's a SF killer cos he expects SF to be a spot up shooter rather than a creator. He's very good at using PG and bigs so if you're a PG or a big, you should go for UNC's PG-oriented transition pace style.
User avatar
Crazy-Canuck
General Manager
Posts: 8,775
And1: 274
Joined: Nov 24, 2003

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#433 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 am

Wiggins was playing with the flu and bronchitis in his matchup with volley.
fredericklove
Banned User
Posts: 24,573
And1: 6,394
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Toronto Raptors Playoffs Trauma Treatment Center
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#434 » by fredericklove » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 am

DG88 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:
Aite thx for the recap, yeah he shows no midrange which is fine if he's in attack mode at will, the thing is once he's inside the 3 point line, he looks for tear drop in the lane rather than pull up for shots. I say he should rather improve more on his triple threat/jabstep moves cos they aren't bad and he can definitely improve on them. Having those moves will improve better chances of his defender jumping on his fakes, that way he can fake defenders and attack much easier.

Jumpshooting as in the shooting stance/technique or just the consistency of it? Cos he leans in when he shoots, he still got range but I can't see him drive stop then pull up a jumper without getting blocked, especially with NBA defenders going tight on him every possession.

It's more so consistency with his shot, just needs more reps and refining. Wiggins did hit a 3 point shot but miss his other 4 attempts. He also bricked a few free throws, where he got most of his point. He ended up with 19 points and 10 rebounds and 3 assists. I'll say this about Wiggins he's got great basketball IQ and knows where his teammates are on the floor. He made some good passes in the zone finding open teammates. He's not as skilled as Jabari Parker but his athletic gifts and first step pretty much give him a good edge against his opponents.


Alright icic, yeah I've noticed his improvement on his court vision since last year, now he's able to spot guys better since defense focuses mainly on him. I can't wait to see how he does offensively against a congested lane/zone D system in college, if he goes to kentucky then I'll have slight idea on how they gonna use him, but if it's FSU how will they use him? Cos I have no knowledge of FSU's playing style.
User avatar
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 27,640
And1: 8,937
Joined: Jul 25, 2008
Location: You don't know my location but I know yours
     

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#435 » by DG88 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 am

fredericklove wrote:
DG88 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:
Aite thx for the recap, yeah he shows no midrange which is fine if he's in attack mode at will, the thing is once he's inside the 3 point line, he looks for tear drop in the lane rather than pull up for shots. I say he should rather improve more on his triple threat/jabstep moves cos they aren't bad and he can definitely improve on them. Having those moves will improve better chances of his defender jumping on his fakes, that way he can fake defenders and attack much easier.

Jumpshooting as in the shooting stance/technique or just the consistency of it? Cos he leans in when he shoots, he still got range but I can't see him drive stop then pull up a jumper without getting blocked, especially with NBA defenders going tight on him every possession.

It's more so consistency with his shot, just needs more reps and refining. Wiggins did hit a 3 point shot but miss his other 4 attempts. He also bricked a few free throws, where he got most of his point. He ended up with 19 points and 10 rebounds and 3 assists. I'll say this about Wiggins he's got great basketball IQ and knows where his teammates are on the floor. He made some good passes in the zone finding open teammates. He's not as skilled as Jabari Parker but his athletic gifts and first step pretty much give him a good edge against his opponents.


Alright icic, yeah I've noticed his improvement on his court vision since last year, now he's able to spot guys better since defense focuses mainly on him. I can't wait to see how he does offensively against a congested lane/zone D system in college, if he goes to kentucky then I'll have slight idea on how they gonna use him, but if it's FSU how will they use him? Cos I have no knowledge of FSU's playing style.

Not sure what FSU's playing style is but I know that they're known for their defensive minded approach to the game, which may lead cause their offense to be more halfcourt then high paced.
Image
Dwane Casey: "We put Andrea in to matchup with Luke Walton and for rebounding"
:rofl:
User avatar
Undefeated
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 19,576
And1: 4,183
Joined: Mar 17, 2009
Location: South Florida

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#436 » by Undefeated » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

I saw Wiggins play against Cape Henry a few weeks back and it's ridiculous how high he gets above the rim. On a lob attempt he missed he had his elbow at rim level which is just ridiculous. I think everyone knows he needs to work on that in-between game, but his triple-threat game has really improved in terms of sizing up his defender and getting to the basket. He has that head fake, jab step and ball fake to the left then the quick one dribble blow-by turning it into a half-spin move. That's his bread-and-butter right now. He needs to work on ball security when he takes it to the hole out of that spin, but I think that will improve once he gets more reps in once getting that skill to play at the same speed as his quickness/athleticism.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
User avatar
God Squad
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,832
And1: 234
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#437 » by God Squad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Nice undefeated.
Image
TheFreshPrince
Banned User
Posts: 1,288
And1: 316
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
Location: Bel-Air

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#438 » by TheFreshPrince » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of watching him play live yet. Who's the best comparison for him? I'd just like to get a feel for the type of game he plays.
User avatar
Inevitable
RealGM
Posts: 14,973
And1: 21,251
Joined: Apr 21, 2006
 

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#439 » by Inevitable » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm

TheFreshPrince wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of watching him play live yet. Who's the best comparison for him? I'd just like to get a feel for the type of game he plays.


Many say he can be a hybrid of Pippen/Tmac
TheFreshPrince
Banned User
Posts: 1,288
And1: 316
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
Location: Bel-Air

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#440 » by TheFreshPrince » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Inevitable wrote:
TheFreshPrince wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of watching him play live yet. Who's the best comparison for him? I'd just like to get a feel for the type of game he plays.


Many say he can be a hybrid of Pippen/Tmac


:o

Return to Toronto Raptors


Users browsing this forum: Air Canada, DG88, Dukenukem23, LRJ, Oakville_Raptor, Zebsterama