ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Re: Official Tank for Andrew Wiggins Thread 

Post#441 » by pkiskool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Wiggins was playing with the flu and bronchitis in his matchup with volley.

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Post#442 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

TheFreshPrince wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of watching him play live yet. Who's the best comparison for him? I'd just like to get a feel for the type of game he plays.

I would say Rudy Gay is a decent comp right now. To me Wiggins' athleticism is very overrated. Bit worried that this is a Marvin Williams come again situation, where he gets billed as a freakish, superstar caliber athlete in high school, but in reality is a guy with a disappointing first step, which when combined with average ballhandling, doesn't make him an elite slasher. I'm not sure how people are watching these games and feeling like he's a blinding speed/blow-by player, because he's not. He uses power and feel a lot more than speed off the dribble. Marvin Williams (among other players like Demar and Barnes) is a warning about just how wrong high school hype can be about athleticism. Forget the hype and high school videos and watch this 9 minute clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pK2synQRQ and tell me whether that looks like a Lebron, Pippen, Tmac level of freak athletically, cause it doesn't look even close to it me and he's looked even more underwhelming athletically in the Huntington games I've seen, to be fair I guess because it's so easy for him to use his size down low instead. Wiggins is still a great prospect because his feel for the game is one of the best for a wing player in the last few decades. You mix that with strength, potential 3pt shooting and still being a very good/great athlete and he can be a great prospect and maybe even #1 caliber. But the hype around his athleticism and physical tools to me is just utterly bizarre and it's setting him up to be billed a disappointment in college. I mean the hype around this guy's physical tools is so great that he's getting called best prospect since Lebron despite having a raw skill game??? Better than Durant, Oden, Rose, Wall, Howard, etc.? His hype around his physical tools is basically saying, his SG/SF athleticism is more valuable than Oden and Howard's physical tools at C were. That's just fking ridiculous. I mean watch the youtube clip I posted above... does that look like a guy who's raw physical tools are > Oden and Howard?

(On that note, before you take my Canadian basketball fan card away for doubting the Church of Wiggins, keep in mind I have Anthony Bennett as the #1 prospect in 2012 and as a future perennial all-star ;) )
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#443 » by fredericklove » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:50 pm

TheFreshPrince wrote:I haven't had the pleasure of watching him play live yet. Who's the best comparison for him? I'd just like to get a feel for the type of game he plays.

There was a 4 parts high school full game clip on youtube, saw it, but can't find it anymore now. It probably got deleted.

You can watch this to get a feel of his game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pK2synQRQ[/youtube]

Nvm, my PER bet rival showed the clip above me. I'll try my best to find that 4 parts high school full game clip again.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#444 » by fredericklove » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

DG88 wrote:
Not sure what FSU's playing style is but I know that they're known for their defensive minded approach to the game, which may lead cause their offense to be more halfcourt then high paced.

If it's more halfcourt it's better for Wiggin's growth development, high paced offense is too easy for him due to his athletic ability because there will be lots of easy dunks easy drive. With a halfcourt set, he can slow it down and learn to play better and develop better that way. This is also why I don't want him to play for cats, its high pace dribble drive system, but even though it's still a pretty good system for an athletic wing to play for.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,567

Post#445 » by HangTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Hopefully Adam Silvers first act is to re-introduce territorial draft picks for the 2014 draft.

Raps Got screwed over from picking #1 in 1996. We should be rewarded with a territorial pick in 2014.

Still can't believe the Raps and Grizz couldn't get the 1st pick in the first 3 years of exsistence. While no other team had to deal with that.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,438

Post#446 » by DG88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 am

fredericklove wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Not sure what FSU's playing style is but I know that they're known for their defensive minded approach to the game, which may lead cause their offense to be more halfcourt then high paced.

If it's more halfcourt it's better for Wiggin's growth development, high paced offense is too easy for him due to his athletic ability because there will be lots of easy dunks easy drive. With a halfcourt set, he can slow it down and learn to play better and develop better that way. This is also why I don't want him to play for cats, its high pace dribble drive system, but even though it's still a pretty good system for an athletic wing to play for.

Plus if he goes to FSU he'd be playing with a long time friend and current teammate Xavier Rathan-Mayes. He's got a lot of connections at FSU specifically because his parent went there.
Scase
General Manager
And1: 6,977

Post#447 » by Scase » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:20 am

fredericklove wrote:

There was a 4 parts high school full game clip on youtube, saw it, but can't find it anymore now. It probably got deleted.

You can watch this to get a feel of his game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pK2synQRQ[/youtube]

Nvm, my PER bet rival showed the clip above me. I'll try my best to find that 4 parts high school full game clip again.

Sweet christ we need this kid. The whole time I'm watching this and I see him pull some ill chosen move, and then I realize he's a 17 year old kid and they are throwing double teams at him. He's gonna be a superstar.
Props TZ!
RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#448 » by RaptorReloaded » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 am

TheFreshPrince wrote:
Inevitable wrote:

Many say he can be a hybrid of Pippen/Tmac

:o

His playing style reminds me of a young Jordan..
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#449 » by Aventador » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 am

this is why we tank Boys and Girls
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#450 » by God Squad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 am

LOL a young jordan.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#451 » by Inevitable » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 am

The Flyest wrote:this is why we tank Boys and Girls

BC's good at building a mediocre complimentary team, hopefully we can luck into a superstar that brings us over the top :lol:
Snakeyes
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#452 » by Snakeyes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

God Squad wrote:LOL a young jordan.

The Maple Jordan 8-)
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#453 » by dballislife » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:23 pm

the question is, how good you think this team is in 2-3 years

lowry
ross
demar fields
ed bargs
jonas amir

can it look close to contending? if not, position a few pieces get cap space and tank for wiggins
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,085

Post#454 » by God Squad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

dballislife wrote:the question is, how good you think this team is in 2-3 years

lowry
ross
demar fields
ed bargs
jonas amir

can it look close to contending? if not, position a few pieces get cap space and tank for wiggins

That team is trash. We still have zero star power. Fire Bryan Colangelo. Tank to build please.
Kabatnaz
Banned User
And1: 534

Post#455 » by Kabatnaz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Maple Jordan
Banned User
And1: 164

Post#456 » by Maple Jordan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 pm

With Rondo out for some of next year, if boston blows up its team and Howard leaves LA, how **** would it be if Boston and LA got 1 and 2 in next years draft? I swear I would never watch Basketball again!!!!
HolyMage110
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#457 » by HolyMage110 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 am

I cant express how much his talents suit the raptors in every possible way. He is actually the best match for us and for him.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,067

Post#458 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:42 am

I'll be cheering for whatever team is smart enough to tank for him.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#459 » by RedX » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 am

Give this **** up already. We are not going to get him, not a chance in hell. There's a better chance of me making it to the NBA and getting drafted by the Raptors than us getting Wiggins. So please, please, drop this nonsense.
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#460 » by Scraptor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 am

RedX wrote:Give this **** up already. We are not going to get him, not a chance in hell. There's a better chance of me making it to the NBA and getting drafted by the Raptors than us getting Wiggins. So please, please, drop this nonsense.

If you don't like it, GTFO out of the thread.

Just because you can't envision it, doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Return to Toronto Raptors