ImageImageImageImageImage

Daily Papers Dec. 14, 2012

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Daily Papers Dec. 14, 2012 

Post#1 » by McFurious1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Raptors general manager, MLSE board meet to “informally discuss” state of team

At the end of a regularly scheduled board of governors meeting, Toronto Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo met with ownership to discuss the state of the Toronto Raptors.

Tom Anselmi, president and chief operating office of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, confirmed that there were “informal discussions about basketball” following the board’s holiday luncheon. Anselmi went on to say that Colangelo still has authority over basketball decision making, although certain moves would continue to be subject to board approval.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/12/ ... e-of-team/

DeMar DeRozan still has faith in Raptors coach Dwane Casey

TORONTO — DeMar DeRozan has not even been a Toronto Raptor for four years. It must seem like half of a lifetime, though.

He came here as the starting shooting guard, but as a project of a rookie. His first season was Chris Bosh’s last as a Raptor, and turmoil was everywhere — Bosh’s free agency was pending and Hedo Turkoglu was delivering sad comedic moment after sad comedic moment.

Since that year, a lot has changed: Bosh left for Miami, Turkoglu was sent packing to Phoenix, the Raptors have added three first-round draft picks to the roster, DeRozan has somehow become the face of the roster and head coach Jay Triano gave way to head coach Dwane Casey.

DeRozan would prefer that the pace of change slowed dramatically, especially when it comes to Casey.

“It’s important because it’s tough going coach to coach,” DeRozan said. “It was tough last year. Even though we did well on the defensive end, you still struggle at parts. You’re still learning. [Casey] is definitely good for us.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/12/ ... ane-casey/

Raptors' Lowry needs to change style of play

For the Raptors to go anywhere this season, top player Kyle Lowry needs to come back from his latest layoff healthy in both mind and spirit.
He will miss the next 10 days or so because of a torn triceps.
Lowry likely is Toronto’s best player, but he has had an up-and-down, injury-ravaged start to his Raptors tenure.
While 15.8 points, 5.8 assists and 5.6 rebounds per game are stellar numbers, Lowry is shooting just 40% from the field and has been turning the ball over too often in the clutch.
He and Andrea Bargnani took some heat in a recent team meeting for their comportment so far, starting talk that Lowry is a selfish player.
Head coach Dwane Casey indicated there’s a fine line between being selfish and wanting to win at all costs.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/13/ra ... le-of-play

Raptors' Bargnani 'depressed'

Andrea Bargnani has had the toughest start to a season of his NBA career.
He’s not a happy camper these days, aware that he’ll have to miss weeks of action due to a torn ligament.
The enigmatic Roman even used the word “depressed” to describe his current state of mind, though head coach Dwane Casey believed something might have been lost in translation.
Bargnani: “I’m very upset that it’s something very bad again (Bargnani missed most of the 2011-12 season due to injuries), kind of depressed,” Bargnani said before lightening up a bit.
“It was a bad fall, could have been worse, could have broke some of my bones, my wrist, so I got lucky in certain ways, but it’s really bad. Bad moment, bad timing, everything.”
Casey said he would talk to Bargnani to make sure he isn’t actually depressed.
“Down is OK, but depressed is pretty strong,” Casey said.
“Nobody is happy about losing. I’m not happy. Fans are not happy. Players are not happy, but I’m not depressed. Depressed is when you’re looking at Christmas or whatever is coming up and you don’t have food for your kids and gifts for your kids. That’s depressed. We’re blessed”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/13/ra ... -depressed

CHISHOLM: DAVIS FINALLY SHOWING HIS STUFF FOR RAPTORS

Did you know that Ed Davis was leading the Toronto Raptors in PER? After spending two seasons hovering around the league average, Davis has jumped up to a 20.8 rating early this season, and that has put him in the top-ten amongst NBA power forwards. That means that Davis has a higher Player Efficiency Rating than Kevin Garnett, Zach Randolph, Paul Millsap, Kevin Love and Serge Ibaka - the next five guys on the list.
Of course, Davis' achievement requires a big ol' helping of context, because he's been posting that career-high rating on a career-low 17.2 minutes per game. While it's all well and good to make the most of limited minutes, Davis needs to prove that he can maintain that production when he's gifted with a larger dose of playing time, because he's going to be getting it with Andrea Bargnani out for the foreseeable future.
Fortunately for the Raptors, Davis showed Wednesday night that he might be up for the challenge. While the Raptors lost (try and contain your surprise), Davis was borderline dominant, posting 24 points on 11-for-13 shooting and pulling in 12 rebounds in a team-high 45 minutes against Brooklyn. He teamed effectively with Jonas Valanciunas in the frontcourt (the pair combined for 39 points on 17-for-19 shooting), scored in a variety of ways from the field and gave the Raptors an unexpected go-to weapon in a game where DeMar DeRozan was struggling to make an impact.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=411593

ANTHONY INJURED AS KNICKS TOP LAKERS IN D'ANTONI'S RETURN

NEW YORK -- Sensing a fellow shooter had become gun shy, Kobe Bryant had a message for Carmelo Anthony last summer.
Ignore the critics, he said. Stop worrying about fitting in and get back to a scorer's mentality.
"You have to do what you do best," Bryant told him.
That's what Anthony did in a spectacular first quarter Thursday night, and by the time he was done Bryant and the struggling Los Angeles Lakers had no hope of ending their slump.
Anthony scored 22 of his 30 points in the period, and the New York Knicks held on after he departed with a sprained left ankle to beat the Lakers 116-107 in coach Mike D'Antoni's return to Madison Square Garden.
"I was zoned in. I was locked in," Anthony said. "Tonight was one of those games where I had that feeling. I wanted to get it going and I had that feeling going early in the game. My teammates were feeding off of that."
Firing in 3-pointers and moving the ball to open shooters, things they often struggled to do under D'Antoni, the Knicks won for the eighth time in nine games and improved to 9-0 at home for the first time since the 1992-93 season.
"I wanted to beat them. I wanted to beat the Lakers, especially protecting our home court," Anthony said. "It had nothing to do with Mike. I wanted to protect our home court and win the basketball game."

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=411622

Is Vince Carter a Hall of Famer?

1. Is Vince Carter a Hall of Famer?
J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: No. His career seems defined by what he hasn't done: such as, he has never led the league in a statistical category and never gone to the NBA Finals. The last part is even more remarkable because he joined two teams (the Magic and Mavericks) that went to the Finals the season before he got there, and a third (the Nets) that went two years before he arrived. He has had a habit of always arriving after the meal was eaten and the bill has been paid. And of course, he left the Raptors before they even served the main course

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-o ... -hall-fame
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Re: Daily Papers Dec. 14, 2012 

Post#2 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks for the paper.

I guess it is MLSE's direction for having young players on the team. After reading some of the posters, and some indication that we rather have young players instead of Gasol or other veterans to help winning (similar to the Leafs). Also, in the radio talk with BC, he insists that we are doing moves for long-term, which seems to me that MLSE doesn't want to win except for making more profits. Thus, I hope something can be changed soon.

As for Lowry, it is hard to blame him, since he is the only one with better ball penetration skill. I think he can do better if the coach gives better instruction, and having Fields with good shooting will help.

As for Bargnani, I hope he can watch some help defense on video. It is very important to take the passing lane on PnR and transition defense. If he is only injured his arm, I hope he can practice the positioning on the defensive end.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#3 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 pm

2 more

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/article/1301901--rating-raptors-gm-bryan-colangelo-s-moves

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo is feeling pressure to make a deal, just do something, anything, to shake his team out of its miserable 4-19 start. But how have his major moves worked out since he was hired Feb. 28, 2006? The Star takes a quick look and passes a verdict on each one:

and this onehttp://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/article/1302217--fire-raptors-gm-bryan-colangelo-no-point-doing-that-now-cox

More to the point, this season now (already) has to be all about next season and beyond, obviously a refrain long-suffering Raptor fans have been hearing for some time and of which they are undoubtedly sick.

It’s no longer about Colangelo and whether Casey can coach and whether Andrea Bargnani can be the franchise player.

By next fall, there’s a pretty good chance none of those three will be here. If we’re looking at a 20-25 win season, it will be next to impossible for Colangelo and Casey to survive. Bargnani will almost certainly be traded.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#4 » by Spragga » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:07 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:2 more

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/article/1301901--rating-raptors-gm-bryan-colangelo-s-moves

Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo is feeling pressure to make a deal, just do something, anything, to shake his team out of its miserable 4-19 start. But how have his major moves worked out since he was hired Feb. 28, 2006? The Star takes a quick look and passes a verdict on each one:

and this onehttp://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/article/1302217--fire-raptors-gm-bryan-colangelo-no-point-doing-that-now-cox

More to the point, this season now (already) has to be all about next season and beyond, obviously a refrain long-suffering Raptor fans have been hearing for some time and of which they are undoubtedly sick.

It’s no longer about Colangelo and whether Casey can coach and whether Andrea Bargnani can be the franchise player.

By next fall, there’s a pretty good chance none of those three will be here. If we’re looking at a 20-25 win season, it will be next to impossible for Colangelo and Casey to survive. Bargnani will almost certainly be traded.

Man that Chucky Delfino trade turned out to be terrible. I would take Jerebko and Singler over all our SF we have now.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
YoungD23
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#5 » by YoungD23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Honestly when I read that part, told myself I'm NOT going to click that link. That's the last thing I need to see right now.
Jay240
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#6 » by Jay240 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Spragga wrote:

Man that Chucky Delfino trade turned out to be terrible. I would take Jerebko and Singler over all our SF we have now.

Delfino and Ukic were traded for Amir and Sonny.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#7 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:52 pm

YoungD23 wrote:

Honestly when I read that part, told myself I'm NOT going to click that link. That's the last thing I need to see right now.

Well it's too bad because it is actually interesting reading. It shows that BC made many good small-to-medium moves peppered with a few big gambles that failed miserably. A somewhat different narrative than what we're used to here, although admittedly it doesn't look at the big picture, which is, I think, where a lot of people feel BC failed worst.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#8 » by LLJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:11 pm

"Informally" discuss?

What, were they munching on some sushi take-out and Tom said, "Hey, what's up with the Raptors sucking? My inbox is getting bombarded by fans lately."

BC: "Oh, you know. This team hasn't helped Bargnani succeed. He's been put in positions to fail. Once CASEY works this out, it'll be winning time. Plus when Bargnani comes back.

Anselmi: "Oh, okay. Pass the wasabi, please."
Lockdown
RealGM
And1: 1,499

Post#9 » by Lockdown » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Amen to this:

Damien Cox wrote:There’s no real point to firing Colangelo now, other than to stop him doing things that would help the team get significantly better now. He built this mess, he shouldn’t be permitted any quick fixes just to put a bowtie on a pig.

There’s just not much to be gained even if this team were to sharply correct its current tailspin and even go .500 the rest of the way. If that happened, you’d still be looking at Colangelo’s future and at trading Bargnani, with only Casey likely to benefit at this point from that scenario.

Coaxing more performances out of the kids like that delivered by Davis against the Nets has to be the objective. Anything that interferes with that or keeping that top 3 pick should be dismissed.

But for this? Not so much:

The Star wrote:Drafted Andrea Bargnani No. 1 overall

JUMP BALL

Signs Andrea Bargnani to a 5-year, $50 million contract extension

JUMP BALL: Relatively cheap deal for somebody with his numbers, makes him much easier to trade. Contract expires after 2014-2015 season.

...except for the inconvenient fact that nobody would take him when he was on the market. Give it up Doug, the math doesn't lie. The guy is a net negative on the court, his stylistic incompatibility with Bosh facilitated our last star's departure, and his softness and slug-like attitude have dragged the whole team down.

The guy has inescapably been a mistake. They should have traded him 2-3 years ago and made him somebody else's mistake.

Return to Toronto Raptors