ImageImageImageImageImage

Bargnani: Raps are the worst team in the NBA

Moderators: niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX

zero the hero
Sophomore
And1: 83

Re: Bargnani: Raps are the worst team in the NBA 

Post#181 » by zero the hero » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm

And he is one of the worst players on the team :o
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,049

Post#182 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Since Bargnani is being shopped, I guess he will be traded. I don't see the Raptors is going anywhere for the next few years even with Jonas and Lowry, and most likely Lowry will be gone if Bargnani is being traded (who would like to work under this organization? A player is willing to commit to the team, and the team doesn't want to commit to the player at all).
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,714

Post#183 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Indeed wrote: and most likely Lowry will be gone if Bargnani is being traded (who would like to work under this organization? A player is willing to commit to the team, and the team doesn't want to commit to the player at all).

ahahahaha! Lowry would be happy to see him gone. But you are right about Lowry leaving. Has nothing to do with Bargnani though.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,779

Post#184 » by James_Raptors » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Strategist1 wrote:
James_Raptors wrote:He also says "If Raptors lose each year then it's several people's problem.'"Does that mean the team isn't playing bad?He's talking about a scenario and his role within that given scenario. His responsibility is on his own play, good or bad, but if the team as a whole is a failure the responsibility is shared and not only his to bear. He mentioned his own play first, so obviously he did not suggest that he is not going to be blamed for his missforgivings. The point is there are numerous issues with this club and the buck doesn't stop with him.

Either way how you view it, his comments are consistent with some of his infamous comments in the past.
Partly paraphrasing...
...we play basketball not reboundball...
...I do things more complicated than rebounding and defence...

This guy wants 18+ shots per game, but he doesn't want to take any responsibility. If he plays bad, it's his own concern.

There's a coldness to his comments. And he never puts blame 100% on himself. That's why he has never had the hunger to improve his rebounding and defence. He actually thinks he's improving every year.

If you follow other sports, you can tell who has leadership potential, who is hungry to improve and make an impact. Who wants to make a difference for their team.

Bargnani's comments collectively as a whole, reveal that he just wants to deflect blame and attention when times get tough.

A coin has two sides and the issues with our franchise are multi layered.
Whether we think Bargs is a good leader (he never claimed to be one) or should get <x amount of shots> (this is decided by coaching and/or pressured by BC), etc. There are certainly aspects of the game a player has control over and he should take responsibility for. Like I've said, there is a ton of blame to go around. As a fan, I (we) are desperate to have a winner and to have our players play hard and accountable for their actions on the court. I get that! I do not want Bargnani starting on our team. It's human nature to focus on what we perceive as the "main cause" of this organizations problems. It's then easy for some of us, to then make the next leap and imply and hope and fixate on this one individual as though they are the cause of all (or most) that is wrong and that by removing that individual player alone it will cure all (or most) of our ails.

The point is that belief is not true or factual. Or deficiencies are deep and are not simply systematic of lack of talent, but a coach learning on the job and a President and General Manager who has failed Toronto on many levels. The majority of the responsibility lies at Bryan Colangelo's feet. His vision doesn't make sense, even with a pair of thick bifocals. In the sports industry the higher up the chain of command you go, the less responsibility those individuals accept, instead it's heaped on players (who were brought here by the GM) or the coach (who was hired by the GM) or an assistant, or injuries, or whatever else that deflects blame of themselves.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach
And1: 240

Post#185 » by BorisDK1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Indeed wrote:Since Bargnani is being shopped, I guess he will be traded. I don't see the Raptors is going anywhere for the next few years even with Jonas and Lowry, and most likely Lowry will be gone if Bargnani is being traded (who would like to work under this organization? A player is willing to commit to the team, and the team doesn't want to commit to the player at all).

Are you seriously trying to portray Bargnani as a victim? Damn.

I mean...damn. I'm not usually at a loss for words, but this doesn't even really deserve a response in the first place, so I guess it all evens out.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,714

Post#186 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:00 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:
Indeed wrote:Since Bargnani is being shopped, I guess he will be traded. I don't see the Raptors is going anywhere for the next few years even with Jonas and Lowry, and most likely Lowry will be gone if Bargnani is being traded (who would like to work under this organization? A player is willing to commit to the team, and the team doesn't want to commit to the player at all).

I mean...damn. I'm not usually at a loss for words, but this doesn't even really deserve a response in the first place, so I guess it all evens out.

lol yeah the not enough commitment comment was pretty hilarious
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 560

Post#187 » by elmer_yuck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Commit to the team by being paid 10 million per year, getting guaranteed minutes, and not having to work hard?
Sounds like a great deal for the player.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#188 » by Beardman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 pm

StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#189 » by StatLine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 pm

I hope he gets posterized when he gets back. Hope he gets Mozgov'd.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#190 » by Double Helix » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm as mad at Bargs lately as anybody but it's entirely possible he thought our record WAS the worst in the league (it's close) and was simply stating a fact.

I think people are reading too much into this as some kind of "I hate Toronto" type of thing that's not really there.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,346

Post#191 » by Courtside » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:16 pm

This is why professional athletes always talk in cliches and soundbites - because if you just speak your mind or deliver your message honestly and bluntly - people will freak the **** out. He has always been like this and whether you like the guy or not, one of the things that gave me a soft spot for him was the fact that he's completely rational and without ego or pretense. He says what he thinks and often times will answer a stupid question with a deservedly stupid answer.

As for this particular interview, he could have said something like "I'm kind of bummed out about my injury and all the losing" and the translation was made into a more proper word like 'depressed'. We don't really know, so if one of our Italian posters can give a more casual/direct translation, it would probably be helpful.

The_NeX wrote:Whole article can be found here http://www.gazzetta.it/Nba/14-12-2012/frustrazione-bargnani-siamo-peggiori-nba-913495957823.shtml , i can provide translation, might anyone be interisted in it.

Yes please.

I haven't had time to get into the links or try to put my translation filter on, so maybe I shouldn't get into this debate - but it's pretty funny to skim through what some people believe he is inferring with his words. There seems to be a lot of personal biases being injected into his words, rather than trying to understand what he actually intended to say - which is usually his unfiltered thoughts. To judge him based on what a media savvy pro athlete should be saying just goes to show that people have not been paying attention to him at all.
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,779

Post#192 » by James_Raptors » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Courtside wrote:This is why professional athletes always talk in cliches and soundbites - because if you just speak your mind or deliver your message honestly and bluntly - people will freak the **** out. He has always been like this and whether you like the guy or not, one of the things that gave me a soft spot for him was the fact that he's completely rational and without ego or pretense. He says what he thinks and often times will answer a stupid question with a deservedly stupid answer.

As for this particular interview, he could have said something like "I'm kind of bummed out about my injury and all the losing" and the translation was made into a more proper word like 'depressed'. We don't really know, so if one of our Italian posters can give a more casual/direct translation, it would probably be helpful.

The_NeX wrote:Whole article can be found here http://www.gazzetta.it/Nba/14-12-2012/frustrazione-bargnani-siamo-peggiori-nba-913495957823.shtml , i can provide translation, might anyone be interisted in it.

Yes please.

I haven't had time to get into the links or try to put my translation filter on, so maybe I shouldn't get into this debate - but it's pretty funny to skim through what some people believe he is inferring with his words. There seems to be a lot of personal biases being injected into his words, rather than trying to understand what he actually intended to say - which is usually his unfiltered thoughts. To judge him based on what a media savvy pro athlete should be saying just goes to show that people have not been paying attention to him at all.

Spot on Courtside, and for someone who hasn't "had time" to get into the links, you showed this thread how easy it is to put your feelings the side and use some common, unbiased, sense to this thread and Barg's statements.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#193 » by J-Roc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 pm

I like. Goes to show Bargs is a fan of the team.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,478

Post#194 » by Bankai » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:39 pm

BorisDK1 wrote:

+1

Bargnani has been committed probably 3 years too much already. Its the Raptors fault for putting so much faith in a scrub and thought he would lead us anywhere. At least he admits he also sucks and isint a leader and shouldnt have been put in this position. On the other hand, he shouldnt be the first one speaking out on the Raptors woe's when he has been a big part of the problem.
lander
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#195 » by lander » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Lol Barg took a shot at Jonas with his centre comment.

Anyone who thinks he took any personal responsibility is kidding themselves. His quote smacks of a delusional person. My god he just basically said whatever if I struggle it doesn't matter because I'm improving (lol) my teammates suck that's why this team sucks.

I think BC and Bargs are quite possibly the least self aware people I have ever had the displeasure of observing.

I just want to tell Andrea to get the **** off my team.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#196 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 pm

lander wrote:Lol Barg took a shot at Jonas with his centre comment.

Anyone who thinks he took any personal responsibility is kidding themselves. His quote smacks of a delusional person. My god he just basically said whatever if I struggle it doesn't matter because I'm improving (lol) my teammates suck that's why this team sucks.

I think BC and Bargs are quite possibly the least self aware people I have ever had the displeasure of observing.

I just want to tell Andrea to get the **** off my team.

lol, not sure what you are reading. He never said his teammates, but he said you need these position or these elements to be a team. He is saying he cannot provide every elements for the team, the team needs this elements no matter what.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#197 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Bankai wrote:
BorisDK1 wrote:

+1

Bargnani has been committed probably 3 years too much already. Its the Raptors fault for putting so much faith in a scrub and thought he would lead us anywhere. At least he admits he also sucks and isint a leader and shouldnt have been put in this position. On the other hand, he shouldnt be the first one speaking out on the Raptors woe's when he has been a big part of the problem.

Blame as much as you want to Bargnani, clearly it won't help us on free agent and resigning Lowry, they are not perfect neither.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,914

Post#198 » by JN » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 pm

It seems likely that this is taken somewhat out of context.

It really doesn't matter - I wanted him out well before this.
Tommy Gun
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#199 » by Tommy Gun » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Bargs sucks with or without these comments and should have been shipped out after his rookie year. Who cares about this lame interview
Appel:
Bargs will be an all-star while Bosh averages 10/6 in Miami
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#200 » by lucky777s » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

All Bargs is saying is that HIS game, the way he plays and what he produces, is not really affected by playing with a dominant C or a lesser C. He can do what he does in either scenario. Shoot a ton of shots and not get any rebounds.

Typically Bargs is only considering the O side of the ball. Or he thinks he really is a good team defender. Which would not speak well of his ability to accept reality.

Any other player in the league would say "it would be great to play with such a dominant defensive player". It should be the first thing that pops into your head. "Dwights a great defender. Would be awesome to play with someone like him. I could see Val becoming that over time" Even if you don't mean the Val part you say it to not offend your team.

Return to Toronto Raptors