ImageImageImageImageImage

Grange: BC won't be fired anytime soon (Update: Pg 3)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,224

Re: Grange: BC won't be fired anytime soon (Update: Pg 3) 

Post#41 » by Raptorfan2012 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Good read... it is essentially politics here; Yes BC sucks, but the alternatives are probably worst (or no clear person on the market right now who will be better). Not surprised to see politics in play since MLSE is such a big entity.

It is encouraging to see that BC has another plan to fix this (for better or worse); as a fan I just can't wait to see what the next move is.
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#42 » by Ducksplatt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 pm

In regards to tanking for Wiggins, I would be fine with that if next year they played the young players (Val, DD, Ed, Ross) and got rid of the deadweight. At least they will be interesting to watch. Clear salary, draft Wiggins (if you get the #!), and add some quality veterans to slowly build.

I feel we have rebuilding for so long, one more year is fine if there is a PLAN.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#43 » by Beardman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 pm

Ducksplatt wrote:In regards to tanking for Wiggins, I would be fine with that if next year they played the young players (Val, DD, Ed, Ross) and got rid of the deadweight. At least they will be interesting to watch. Clear salary, draft Wiggins (if you get the #!), and add some quality veterans to slowly build.

I feel we have rebuilding for so long, one more year is fine if there is a PLAN.

I agree with one more year of sucking. But from the players perspective do you honestly think DD can deal with ANOTHER year of piling losses ? I don't want DD to spend a total 5 years of his career on a bottom feeder. Get rid of him too.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#44 » by lucky777s » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Highest paid GM in the league and he gets this kind of weak support article written about him. Pathetic.

I just don't get why he calls it panic.

since when is firing a crappy employee considered a panic move? Overpaid, clueless about the state of the team during a tanking season and during an 'acclerated rebuild, playoff chase' season, no plan in place to fix things, and a history of very bad player evaluations and contract signings. And its panic to cut him?

It is common sense to FIRE BC. I think it is much worse to start looking for his replacement while you let him think he still has a chance to stay on here. Both sides should just move on now.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#45 » by Gold Chain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:23 pm

It's good to be connected.

I need new friends. :cry:
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#46 » by Big Shot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:25 pm

I had to scratch my head when I read....BC should ask the ownership what they want to do, how they want to do, and who they want to do it. :roll:

It would have made some sense if BC just came in to have a feel of an organization which considered hiring him as a GM. But this is not the case.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#47 » by Alfred » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Larry Tanenbaum really seems to have Bryan's back for some reason.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,581

Post#48 » by Zeno » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Big Shot wrote:I had to scratch my head when I read....BC should ask the ownership what they want to do, how they want to do, and who they want to do it. :roll:

It would have made some sense if BC just came in to have a feel of an organization which considered hiring him as a GM. But this is not the case.

You see, even with BC, it's not a talent issue. He's not being put in a position to succeed.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#49 » by J-Roc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 pm

In other words, BC pointed to himself and said, "Look, our GM'ing issues are not due to a lack of talent".
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#50 » by douggood » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 pm

I fully stand behind a plan of taking a few steps backwards. But the thorn in that plan is the pick owed to thnder.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#51 » by Dalek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:42 pm

J-Roc wrote:Poorly written article by Grange. People knock the doug for posting articles that haven't been proofread.

Not only that, but as usual the media doesn't want to fault Colangelo. Think about this. Bryan Colangelo, two time Exec of the Year, needs a "Paul Beeston" above him directing the ship... If BC isn't cut out to be any more than Alex Anthopolos he needs to gtfo.

As for Wiggins, Grange pulls the usual media tactic of pointing out something the Raps could do, but points out they maybe shouldn't do it....so essentially he just sets himself up to be right no matter what happens. Straight out of the J-Roc playbook.

I think you miss the point about the business side. Maybe Colangelo fails at making the case for ownership to spend money or approve his decisions. Beeston on the other hand gives room to AA to operate, because he answers to ownership. BC plays a duel role and possibly cannot make a good case. Considering we never pay luxury tax, we probably are a bit handcuffed by ownership.

Not to defend BC in anyway, but maybe he is just a mediocre GM with an even poorer business acumen.
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#52 » by thunderforce » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:43 pm

They have to have a plan and they have to tell us all what that plan is and they have to move any and all players that do not fit into the plan .
CANsportsguru
Pro Prospect
And1: 522

Post#53 » by CANsportsguru » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:43 pm

He needs to be fired ASAP. I don't want one of his short term fixes that will get us a few more wins but still fall short of the playoffs and hurt as going forward. He needs to be let go and we need to blow the team up stock piling picks and cap flexibility for the next two years.
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#54 » by Chaos Engine » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 pm

The thing is the MLSE board are a bunch of hockey guys who don't care about basketball THAT much. So BC and his silver tongue can convince them that the bad road schedule, injuries and refs are to blame. BC is a brilliant politician. Oh how I hate him.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#55 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Alfred wrote:Larry Tanenbaum really seems to have Bryan's back for some reason.

Well, Dolan brought Isiah back. Anything can happen. BC is corporate, so he can speak both languages. If I didn't know any better I'd say that maybe Grange (through Tanenbaum or whomever the source was) was hinting that BC is the Beeston-type they need.

I don't expect owners to know anything about anything on sports exec hires, but they sure as hell should know who and when to fire. I felt like Grange tried to over-extend the issue and paint the team at some critical juncture, but the fans are still there. Ownership has money and will spend and is motivated. We just need someone to execute better, no matter the plan.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#56 » by Too Late Crew » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Good read... it is essentially politics here; Yes BC sucks, but the alternatives are probably worst (or no clear person on the market right now who will be better). Not surprised to see politics in play since MLSE is such a big entity.

It is encouraging to see that BC has another plan to fix this (for better or worse); as a fan I just can't wait to see what the next move is.

People really need to stop with this
but the alternatives are probably worst (or no clear person on the market right now who will be better).

Its been covered repeatedly that there are plenty of qualified candidates and just because the general public doesn't know them doesn't mean they don't exist. We see this over and over Give me a list of who would be better" Knowledgeable people list off assistant GMS or other similar guys from successful organization who would love to be a GM ..it es quiet and then a few days latter we hear the same crap. Who's available that's better.

The answer is we can't be sure ANYONE even RC Buford himself WILL do better but there are tons of guys who have the credentials to do better and honestly how much worse could they be than 4 and 17 and possibl no lottery pick?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#57 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Last year was our first ever "tank". We blew it. We should keep trying until we get it right just as the Bulls did. Had we drafted Drummond we'd be at the Curry/Chandler/Gordon stage of development.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,917

Post#58 » by Vorticity » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

good piece by Grange, probably his best
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
rove
Senior
And1: 220

Post#59 » by rove » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:01 pm

Grange's 3 big questions that BC should ask are completely ass-backwards.

"What do you want to do" - there is only ONE raison d'etre for a sports organization: win a championship.

"How do you want it done" - this is BC's responsibility. Does he need guidance from the board to tell him how to run a basketball team?!

"And do you want me to do it" - this is not up to BC to ask. If the board deems his performance acceptable, they will. Otherwise - bye bye and don't let the door hit you on your backside.

The article essentially is the laundry list of the so-called reasons that BC fanboys have, from "he needs more time to see his 'vision' through" to "who else is out there?"; from "he can't do much worse" to "the ownership is getting in his way."

Yeah, the article is more elaborate than your average RealGM post. Yeah, Grange points out the ownership structure is not the best (but it's not like he had the guts to totally put the blame on them either LOL). Yeah, he talks of a chance to get a sexy new team saviour (but not totally on board with tanking either).

But the most important points were not address at all:

- Who was the man that signed all those contracts
- Who was the man that traded a sure-fire lottery pick to a championship contender
- Why are we still defending the man responsible for all this and allow him the chance to still lead the team in this "scary precipice" as Grange put it.

This is why this article is just like BC himself: wishy-washy, throw some sh%t like "flexibility"/"focus" to the wall and see if it sticks. It sounds important but really is full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#60 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Chaos Engine wrote:The thing is the MLSE board are a bunch of hockey guys who don't care about basketball THAT much ...

Um, George Cope, the 6' 7" BCE CEO, is a basketballer.

http://www.durhamregion.com/feature/art ... ves-to-win

I don't know if that accountant who hated BC is still around, but between him and Cope, there should be enough BBIQ on the MLSE board to make good decisions.

As I said before (but was challenged by dagger), if we don't have our pick this year, then BC can ride out his contract. But in February, if it looks like we have a better than even chance at picking in the top 3 of this terrible draft (and all but foreclosing the hope of get Wiggins next year), then I want someone with a vision in charge.

Return to Toronto Raptors