ImageImageImageImageImage

We are only 4 games back of the 8th seed

Moderators: tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin, Rhettmatic, FluLikeSymptoms, itbobby007, Morris_Shatford, Alfred, DG88, Undefeated

team edward
Veteran
Posts: 2,891
And1: 1,475
Joined: Jul 28, 2010

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#46 » by team edward » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:57 pm

Since we're talking playoffs, let's make a playoff analogy.

If Raps win 4 out of every 7 games the rest of the way, they have a shot at playoffs.
Image
User avatar
Tha Cynic
General Manager
Posts: 9,436
And1: 2,788
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Starin' at the world through my rearview

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#47 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:55 pm

LOL, it's funny how some don't realize that this season is going EXACTLY like all the previous losing seasons. They are right on track for another treadmill season, but this time, they screwed up so bad with the trading of the draft pick, that this may be a positive. There is a reason why this team has no stars. The team always sucks, but not enough to get top level talent. This season, they may as well suck like they have in the previous seasons, just to get rid of that OKC pick. Reality check people - this seasons is no different than the last 4 or 5 seasons under Colangelo. Heck, even the Calderon vs. starting PG, team playing better without Bargnani and team winning due to scrubs going off is right in line with what we're accustomed to. Here we have some of us sitting here, screaming about why we need BC to be fired, and the usual fans are being suckered back in. :giveup:
Kobe Bryant on farewell season:If you booed me for 18, 19 years, boo me for the 20th. That’s the game, man."
Yoga
Banned User
Posts: 3,882
And1: 49
Joined: Jun 21, 2011

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#48 » by Yoga » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:25 am

I'm going to update this thread everytime we make progress in the standings
User avatar
Hyperglide
Pro Prospect
Posts: 850
And1: 213
Joined: Jul 26, 2009
Location: Rawkin' it in the GWN
     

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#49 » by Hyperglide » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 am

This is the one year I actually hope we finish 9th. That way OKC gets a late Lottery Pick in what is supposed to be a weak draft.
Image
User avatar
ruckus
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,666
And1: 688
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: From the Slums of Shaolin...
 

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#50 » by ruckus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 am

Tha Cynic wrote:LOL, it's funny how some don't realize that this season is going EXACTLY like all the previous losing seasons. They are right on track for another treadmill season, but this time, they screwed up so bad with the trading of the draft pick, that this may be a positive. There is a reason why this team has no stars. The team always sucks, but not enough to get top level talent. This season, they may as well suck like they have in the previous seasons, just to get rid of that OKC pick. Reality check people - this seasons is no different than the last 4 or 5 seasons under Colangelo. Heck, even the Calderon vs. starting PG, team playing better without Bargnani and team winning due to scrubs going off is right in line with what we're accustomed to. Here we have some of us sitting here, screaming about why we need BC to be fired, and the usual fans are being suckered back in. :giveup:


Never looked at it that way but you're right!

It's deja vu all over again. Same story different faces.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
Inevitable
RealGM
Posts: 17,332
And1: 29,033
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
 

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#51 » by Inevitable » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:39 am

Push for 9th, give OKC the pick and rebuild. Bad thing is BC will probably be renewed on the premise that we never made playoffs because of slow start.
User avatar
Troubadour
General Manager
Posts: 8,768
And1: 2,521
Joined: Jun 18, 2007
Location: Toronto
 

Re: We are only 6 and 6 1/2 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#52 » by Troubadour » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 am

Death Knight wrote:Yea, 6+ games is a lot. People actually expect us to go on 10 winning streaks and other teams to go on massive losing streaks on the other hand to allow us back in? lol


It's not like we're in the middle of March. There's plenty of time. I'm not counting on it, but there's no point in counting this team out.
Metallikid
Freshman
Posts: 75
And1: 10
Joined: Mar 10, 2010

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#53 » by Metallikid » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:50 pm

team edward wrote:Since we're talking playoffs, let's make a playoff analogy.

If Raps win 4 out of every 7 games the rest of the way, they have a shot at playoffs.


Actually, no they don't. That would only put us at 40 wins, which isn't even .500, and a playoff spot will probably require 43-45 wins. The Eastern conference is a lot better than it was in 06-07. We're going to need a .688 winning percentage just to make it back to 41-41 by season's end.
Yoga
Banned User
Posts: 3,882
And1: 49
Joined: Jun 21, 2011

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#54 » by Yoga » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:20 am

Still in same position. We will probably drop a game tomorrow at San Antonio. Hopefully Jonas V will come back ASAP
User avatar
sca
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,227
And1: 2,852
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
   

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#55 » by sca » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:05 am

Metallikid wrote:
team edward wrote:Since we're talking playoffs, let's make a playoff analogy.

If Raps win 4 out of every 7 games the rest of the way, they have a shot at playoffs.


Actually, no they don't. That would only put us at 40 wins, which isn't even .500, and a playoff spot will probably require 43-45 wins. The Eastern conference is a lot better than it was in 06-07. We're going to need a .688 winning percentage just to make it back to 41-41 by season's end.

Your numbers are off. We need to go 32-22 (.592) rest of the way to reach 41 wins.
User avatar
Oakville_Raptor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,952
And1: 1,317
Joined: Feb 20, 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
   

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#56 » by Oakville_Raptor » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 am

The Raptors will be 9-20 after the Spurs game so people on here need psychiatric help if they think they have any chance of making the playoffs this season.
Image
User avatar
sca
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,227
And1: 2,852
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
   

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#57 » by sca » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:50 am

Oakville_Raptor wrote:The Raptors will be 9-20 after the Spurs game so people on here need psychiatric help if they think they have any chance of making the playoffs this season.

Stranger things have surely happened.
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,411
And1: 820
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#58 » by Yosemite Dan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:32 pm

No team is as good as when they are on a winning streak nor as bad as when they are on a losing streak. We aren't a 4-19 team but we aren't as good as the last 5 games have shown. Once this winning streak ends and the high has worn off, we'll comfortably settle into what we are, a dull 25-30 win team that wins 3 or 4 games during every 10 game span with the occasional winning and losing streak thrown in. Rinse and repeat.
User avatar
PRESTIGE
Veteran
Posts: 2,671
And1: 578
Joined: Jan 17, 2011
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.
 

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#59 » by PRESTIGE » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Yoga, I admire your optimism but....

Image
User avatar
Olufsen
Junior
Posts: 289
And1: 26
Joined: Oct 11, 2012

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#60 » by Olufsen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:25 pm

it doesnt matter how many wins or losses we get this season-- we are losing our pick this year to tank next. we can climb the ladder if we want, dont matta
#WIGGINS2014!
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 31,842
And1: 1,398
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#61 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Interesting point in the Denver-Clippers game last night where it was mentioned George Karl has a formula of road wins - home losses to determine how his team is doing. After 82 games it always adds up to how many Ws a team is from .500. Right now we're -3 (2 road wins, 5 home losses), which when multiplied by 82/28, would lead to a number of -9, so a 32 W team. I think that's a little more respectable than people realize
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,411
And1: 820
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#62 » by Yosemite Dan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:12 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Interesting point in the Denver-Clippers game last night where it was mentioned George Karl has a formula of road wins - home losses to determine how his team is doing. After 82 games it always adds up to how many Ws a team is from .500. Right now we're -3 (2 road wins, 5 home losses), which when multiplied by 82/28, would lead to a number of -9, so a 32 W team. I think that's a little more respectable than people realize


Is there any way you can translate that post to english?
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 31,842
And1: 1,398
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#63 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 am

Road wins - Home Losses is a way for George Karl to evaluate a team's record if there's a heavy proportion of home or road games in the schedule. This is because if the amount of home games and road games are equal, road wins - home losses will always equal how many wins a team is from .500. For example in 2011 the Heat went 58-24 with a 30-11 home record and 28-13 road record. 28 road wins minus 11 home losses = 17. 58 Ws, is 17 Ws above 41. The Raptors that year had 6 road wins and 25 home losses, 6-25 = -19, and with 22 Ws overall that's 19 Ws below 41. The point for Karl was that Denver is 15-14 but that record looks a lot better if you consider they've had 9 home games vs 20 road games so far, they have 7 road wins and 1 home loss which is +6, according to the broadcast that was 2nd in the league behind the Spurs

Now to translate it to the season so far, I just took 82 Gs divided by how many games the team has played, and multiplied it. For Denver who's played 29 Games, 82/29 is x2.83. So 2.83 * 6 would equal 17. In other words if Denver's rate of road wins - home losses continues, they would finish 17 Ws above 41, so with 58. I did the same thing for the Raptors and they punched out as a 32 W team if their road wins - home losses continues

Now the problem with this calculation, I believe, is that a team who plays a lot of road games should be in a position to benefit from it. Ie the Raptors and Nuggets have had a lot of opportunities to get road wins and have avoided a lot of opportunities to get home losses. A better way would be just to multiply home and road winning % by 41. The Raptors are currently on pace for 24 home wins and 5 road wins using this (29 overall), while the Nuggets are on pace for 36 home wins and 14 road wins (50 overall)
User avatar
Oakville_Raptor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,952
And1: 1,317
Joined: Feb 20, 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
   

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#64 » by Oakville_Raptor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:33 am

sca wrote:
Oakville_Raptor wrote:The Raptors will be 9-20 after the Spurs game so people on here need psychiatric help if they think they have any chance of making the playoffs this season.

Stranger things have surely happened.


This team doesn't have the heart and talent to make a run like the 2001-2002 Raptors did.
Image
DatHomieYouHaTe
Starter
Posts: 2,411
And1: 409
Joined: Nov 23, 2003
       

Re: We are only 5 to 6.5 games back of 5-8 seed 

Post#65 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:45 am

Image
TURBOZONE PAGE: http://turbozone.ca

Return to Toronto Raptors