ImageImageImageImageImage

Jonas Injury Update: Out 4-6 weeks!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Narjee
Senior
And1: 627

Re: Jonas Injury Update 

Post#61 » by Narjee » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 am

God Squad wrote:Crappy news, but hope he has a speedy recovery
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,063

Post#62 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 am

Phenomenologist wrote:
Boogie! wrote:not to say that the injury is a positive necessarily, but hopefully jonas starts to work on his left hand while he's out. i remember the story about jermaine o'neal and how he's a natural lefty but after breaking his arm or hand or something in high school he started doing everything with his right hand and now he shoots with his right. not saying something should happen to this extent but i think being ambidextrous is an impactful yet underrated skill when playing basketball. a lot of players games are hindered simply because they can't use their off hand. i hope jonas is the type of player to recognize this now that he can't do anything with his strong hand and starts working on shots with his left.

Yah, I'd say the ability to use your offhand is underrated for bigs. Look at guys like Boozer, who can finish with either hand. Gives them a big advantage. And JV is already a pretty good finisher.

Excellent points. I remember when Oden suffered an injury to his right wrist during his year at Ohio, and he learned to make one-handed FTs with his left hand (he would have been a really good player). I always think of that when people say that bigs are naturally prone to be bad free throw shooters.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#63 » by YogiStewart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:08 pm

it is a "real" fracture, not a finger fracture.
standard 6 weeks.
serengeti
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#64 » by serengeti » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 pm

When we will have official news about that?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#65 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:03 pm

YogiStewart wrote:it is a "real" fracture, not a finger fracture.
standard 6 weeks.

Read on Twitter
Jer15Jer
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#66 » by Jer15Jer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:13 pm

I've fractured a metacarpul in my hand before. A lot of bruising and swelling.

Every fracture is different but my guess would be 3-4 weeks minimum. Not sure if its his shooting hand.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#67 » by Inevitable » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Had one too on my left (non-shooting) hand back in high-school. It's really painful even for the hand you use less and the rehab is pretty tough too.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#68 » by sanity » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:24 pm

YogiStewart wrote:it is a "real" fracture, not a finger fracture.
standard 6 weeks.

If so, he should take all the time in the world to recover from that. Wouldn't want him rushing back for the sake of this season
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#69 » by mintsa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Still no official time table for how long he'll be out?
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#70 » by grumpwalter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:57 pm

StatLine wrote:Bring back Rasho

Too bad he is retired and left this team on bad terms.
Sterling_Archer
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#71 » by Sterling_Archer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Because it is on his shooting hand he will have to sit out minimal 4-6 coule go to eight weeks. If its surgery your looking at three months but if its a fracture surgery is not necessarily needed.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by YogiStewart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:06 am

mintsa wrote:Still no official time table for how long he'll be out?

my guess is they're waiting to see if surgery's needed.
either that or surgery is being done any day now and they'll announce the timetable for return after surgery's completed.
Dyabolikal
Pro Prospect
And1: 292

Post#73 » by Dyabolikal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:14 am

The one "positive" I see in an injury like this is that he'll still be able to keep his conditioning up while he's off the floor in terms of cardio and lower body strength. Developing an off-hand skyhook might be an interesting way to pass the time as well!
Jakay wrote:We all know PER is just a quantifiable percentage for Players Emulating Rasho anyway, which is why no one, not even Rasho, can even crack 40.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#74 » by dagger » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:15 am

This is like the freaking fish story... three weeks, no 4-6 weeks, no three months... for God's sake, the next poster will have the finger amputated.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#75 » by RapsFanInVA » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 am

dagger wrote:This is like the freaking fish story... three weeks, no 4-6 weeks, no three months... for God's sake, the next poster will have the finger amputated.

Career ending
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#76 » by Tofubeque » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:22 am

RapsFanInVA wrote:
dagger wrote:This is like the freaking fish story... three weeks, no 4-6 weeks, no three months... for God's sake, the next poster will have the finger amputated.

Career ending

I'm pretty sure with 9 fingers Valanciunas would still be our best prospect.

Big man Gerald Green
props Turbozone
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#77 » by sanity » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 am

Fields has made a career out of playing without any hands. Jonas will be fine
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by YogiStewart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:35 am

you know that some of us have brains and can make educated observations, right? :)
thinair11
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#79 » by thinair11 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:58 am

there is good interview with Val, from lithuanian reporter. interview was made right after he got back from doctors. the space between broken finger is small, so as we all know he does not need a surgery. he said he will be in a hand cast for 4 weeks.he actually keeps practicing, on the lower body, keeps running and so on. he said he also will work on upper body, shoulders and chest. he also said that its good time to work on a left hand. also spoke about being very lonely at first, about slight fright of flying, that he could not sleep during them, but now kind of got used to it, and usually is sleeping during flights. he is happy in toronto, he said i broke a finger on which hopefully one day nba ring will be resting. hes happy that his good friend and mother came thru for holidays, and will be there till mid january.

edit: for all the toronto creeps he lives right across raptors arena, there is big sports bar, he lives in that building, 48th floor lol. go check him out hahaha

http://www.15min.lt/naujiena/sportas/kr ... ldraugaslt
AcesFull
Junior
And1: 6

Post#80 » by AcesFull » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 am

thinair11 wrote:there is good interview with Val, from lithuanian reporter. interview was made right after he got back from doctors. the space between broken finger is small, so as we all know he does not need a surgery. he said he will be in a hand cast for 4 weeks.he actually keeps practicing, on the lower body, keeps running and so on. he said he also will work on upper body, shoulders and chest. he also said that its good time to work on a left hand. also spoke about being very lonely at first, about slight fright of flying, that he could not sleep during them, but now kind of got used to it, and usually is sleeping during flights. he is happy in toronto, he said i broke a finger on which hopefully one day nba ring would be resting. hes happy that his good friend and mother came thru for holidays, and will be there till mid january.

http://www.15min.lt/naujiena/sportas/kr ... ldraugaslt

Thanks for the update and translation. I agree with some other posters, this could be a blessing in disguise for him, a short break to rest a bit, think about how he's played so far and how to improve, including working on his left hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Toronto Raptors