ImageImageImageImageImage

MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 32)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How do you feel about the Raptors pursuing Rudy Gay?

Yes! Do it. He'd be our best wing by a mile.
47%
No way! He's overpaid, overrated.
16%
Meh. Only if he comes very cheap.
37%

Total votes: 259

Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,327

Re: MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P.  

Post#581 » by Bank Shot » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:33 pm

I will lol if Jose is involved and haunts Bayless on another team.
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#582 » by Scraptor » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:34 pm

HP, since you and Dagger are polar opposites, and I already asked him how he'd approach the Indiana path of rebuilding, who do you think we should keep? What should we do with our numerous bad contracts? Just curious.
Swag
RealGM
And1: 9,523

Post#583 » by Swag » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:35 pm

Complete the deal BC....

Trade one of either Demar or Ross + Jose + I dont give a chit who and bring Rudy to Toronto.

Or else..sit back and watch this team fall deeper out of the playoffs and fans (like myself) start screaming for you to be fired :)
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#584 » by lucky777s » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:38 pm

Lets say it goes like this in 2 years:

Lowry 12
Gay 19
DD 10
Amir 7
ED 8 assumes ED explodes into big piece
total 56

Val and Ross still on rookie deals, total 6 mill

wasted salaries, the killer:
Kleiza 5
Fields 8

This is the crap that puts us over the tax line. But its only for a year as they expire, and Gay we could re-sign for at least 5 mill less. Fill out with min salaries until Fields off the books. Hopefully add a nice draft pick.

Its doable. Worst case MLSE has to amnesty Kleiza to save tax dollars.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#585 » by Hassassin » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:39 pm

Indeed wrote:
Joe Buddy wrote:
Indeed wrote:
lol, Dudley is another bench player. I wonder when people would stop obsessing these role players. He doesn't have a handle, he can't create for himself.

Dudley is a lot better than you think he is. He can create for himself, can shoot and plays solid defense. Not to mention the difference in contract between him and Gay.

On isolation? I don't see it, you may want to ask the Suns board about this.

Create for himself? What? :lol:

They barely run any ISO's for Dudley. In the Synergy Sports video database, he has only TWO isolation plays this season. TWO!!!

Less than three percent of his overall offensive plays last season were isolations.

And lastly, 80% of his FG's were assisted this year. That number was 76% last year.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#586 » by YogiStewart » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:39 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:I wish I knew how we could tank hard. Really do. With BC in charge though, it looks like we have to scrounge for the best short term fixes we can get. It's inevitable. He's going to do it again.

just look how well tanking's working for the Bobcats, Wizards and Cavs.
pass.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,570

Post#587 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:41 pm

Rudy Gay - 17.8mill
Demar - 9.5mill
Amir 6.5mill
Fields 6.5mill
Lowry 6.2mill
Ross 2.5mill
Ed Davis 3.1mill
Lucas 1.5mill

Thats only 53.6mill. Why are ya'all worry about taking on rudy gay, especially if bargnani can go in the same deal...

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#588 » by Truthrising » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:44 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Rudy Gay - 17.8mill
Demar - 9.5mill
Amir 6.5mill
Fields 6.5mill
Lowry 6.2mill
Ross 2.5mill
Ed Davis 3.1mill
Lucas 1.5mill

Thats only 53.6mill. Why are ya'all worry about taking on rudy gay, especially if bargnani can go in the same deal...

It's gonna have to take Derozan to get the deal done as his value is still pretty decent, Bargnani's value is at an all-time low and you'd be a bit delusional to think that Calderon+BArgnani is what it takes to get the deal done.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Spacing
Banned User
And1: 2,252

Post#589 » by Spacing » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:45 pm

Demar - 9.5mill
Amir 6.5mill
Fields 6.5mill
Lowry 6.2mill
Ross 2.5mill
Ed Davis 3.1mill
Lucas 1.5mill

I believe they are looking to avoid tax not go head on into it.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#590 » by Beardman » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:48 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Beardman wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:MOAR KWIK FIKSEZ!!!!!!!!

The reality is that trading for Rudy Gay and then re-signing Lowry gives us a better chance of having talent secured than depending on lottery picks to develop...

Having talent secured is easy, if your aspirations are low. Secure whatever we have now. We won't evaporate. We'll grind out a lesser version of the one with Gay. Neither one will go anywhere. So if all you're worried about is security, lock up Whoever we've got and reset your arbitrary aims from 'below contender by X3' to 'below contender by X4' or whatever. There, done deal, we're secure.

I get what you're saying but we've tried the losing approach, 5 of the last 7 years and it has gotten us mediocre talent at best whether through draft or FA, we tried to tank last year but somehow won more games than projected admitted by the GM.

The only thing left is to trade for other teams talents and go from there. This is my mindset until BC is no longer involved with the Raptor organization.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,508

Post#591 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:49 pm

Scraptor wrote:HP, since you and Dagger are polar opposites, and I already asked him how he'd approach the Indiana path of rebuilding, who do you think we should keep? What should we do with our numerous bad contracts? Just curious.

The painful truth is we have mediocred our way to a place where there are no Master Plans or magic bullets. We are years of patience away from a shot at contending. And the steps until then are pretty easy to see.

Ideally I'd like to get rid of our STUPID DUMB CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE DIDN'T REVOLT lottery pick debt this year. I'd be unloading everyone but JV, maybe Ed, maybe maybe Ross...trade everything for picks...take bad medium/long contracts if we have to...placeholders of one variety or another aren't the focal point for the next few years, so ride them out and pay them out if it gets us picks in the next 3 to 4 years.

And just play it out. Resist the urge to accelerate or whatever parlance for dumb you favour. Realize that the most important players on the Toronto Raptors contending team are in college or HS right now.

We've done the other forever...one definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Let's do something different.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
DarrylFlicking
Senior
And1: 152

Post#592 » by DarrylFlicking » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:52 pm

Spacing wrote:
Demar - 9.5mill
Amir 6.5mill
Fields 6.5mill
Lowry 6.2mill
Ross 2.5mill
Ed Davis 3.1mill
Lucas 1.5mill

I believe they are looking to avoid tax not go head on into it.

Welcome to the forum!

You are correct.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#593 » by torontoaces04 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:52 pm

Demar - 9.5mill
Amir 6.5mill
Fields 6.5mill
Lowry 6.2mill
Ross 2.5mill
Ed Davis 3.1mill
Lucas 1.5mill.

Include Fields somehow in the deal, and I'm sold!

Jose, Fields, 1st 2014
for
Rudy G
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#594 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:53 pm

Beardman wrote:I get what you're saying but we've tried the losing approach, 5 of the last 7 years and it has gotten us mediocre talent at best whether through draft or FA. The only left is to trade for other teams talents and go from there. This is my mindset until BC is no longer involved with the Raptor organization.

But we were NOT trying to lose. We were NOT rebuilding. We were incompetent.

There IS a difference.

So making a move for Gay or w/e now in some ad-him resignation to BC is just costing us more years of mediocrity while waiting for the Right Time To Rebuild to sort of appear with coloured lights and a fan base saying 'we're on board!'

Ie, not gonna happen. It's going to hurt whenever we do it. And it will hurt until we do it.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#595 » by Rhettmatic » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:54 pm

torontoaces04 wrote:
Demar - 9.5mill
Amir 6.5mill
Fields 6.5mill
Lowry 6.2mill
Ross 2.5mill
Ed Davis 3.1mill
Lucas 1.5mill.

Include Fields somehow in the deal, and I'm sold!

Jose, Fields, 1st 2014
for
Rudy G

Thank god BC can't actually trade our 2014 1st.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#596 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:55 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:I wish I knew how we could tank hard. Really do. With BC in charge though, it looks like we have to scrounge for the best short term fixes we can get. It's inevitable. He's going to do it again.

pass.

Let's look at how not rebuilding has worked for the Toronto Raptors.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Joe Buddy
Pro Prospect
And1: 163

Post#597 » by Joe Buddy » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:56 pm

Hassassin wrote:Create for himself? What? :lol:

They barely run any ISO's for Dudley. In the Synergy Sports video database, he has only TWO isolation plays this season. TWO!!!

Less than three percent of his overall offensive plays last season were isolations.

And lastly, 80% of his FG's were assisted this year. That number was 76% last year.

Ya he can't create for himself, but the rest was all true. Especially the gigantic difference in salary between him and Gay.

I've always been a big Dudley fan, so that's the main reason I'd want him on the team rather than Gay, but I really think BC needs to bring in a player like Gay at this point. But as long as Hollinger has a say in Memphis' moves, I don't think he would be too interested in what we can offer.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#598 » by Wo1verine » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:57 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Beardman wrote:I get what you're saying but we've tried the losing approach, 5 of the last 7 years and it has gotten us mediocre talent at best whether through draft or FA. The only left is to trade for other teams talents and go from there. This is my mindset until BC is no longer involved with the Raptor organization.

But we were NOT trying to lose. We were NOT rebuilding. We were incompetent.

There IS a difference.

So making a move for Gay or w/e now in some ad-him resignation to BC is just costing us more years of mediocrity while waiting for the Right Time To Rebuild to sort of appear with coloured lights and a fan base saying 'we're on board!'

Ie, not gonna happen. It's going to hurt whenever we do it. And it will hurt until we do it.

Harry, you absolutely get it!!! :beer:
BrunoSkull
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Post#599 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:58 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Let's do something different.

And this applies to everyday life as well. A very simple thing, do something different to get different results. It's just always easier said then done, but I would like to see us try for a top 3 pick for once. BC once again screwed the pooch at trying to compete for the playoffs. Just keeps failing. Time to go a different route. That being said, if it's another short term move and it's Rudy Gay, I can live with it. I've kind of become numb to everything at this point and if it's some short term success so be it.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#600 » by Truthrising » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:59 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:

pass.

Let's look at how not rebuilding has worked for the Toronto Raptors.

I've said this before, it's not in MLSE's intention to do anymore rebuild, if there was change in ownership than it may be possible. Look at where that's gotten them last yr, they couldn't even do it properly, especially when Casey is the coach.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka

Return to Toronto Raptors