ImageImageImageImageImage

MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 32)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How do you feel about the Raptors pursuing Rudy Gay?

Yes! Do it. He'd be our best wing by a mile.
47%
No way! He's overpaid, overrated.
16%
Meh. Only if he comes very cheap.
37%

Total votes: 259

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Re: MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 

Post#561 » by Rhettmatic » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:07 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
Indeed wrote:Not having Lowry is the future? You think he wants to stay with a bunch of bench players like Bargnani did the last few seasons? Look at our starting roster, who can create for himself and who can defend his position.

Lowry is good, but not worth building around when we don't have the pieces necessary in terms of becoming a contender with him.. This team is still far away, It's like i am the only one who sees this!

Well I agree, and I think there's probably a lot of people who would agree that BC's plan to begin "accelerating" the rebuild (which had barely even started) was foolish, short-sighted and self-serving. But unless he's fired and MLSE changes course it seems like it's the train we're on for now.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#562 » by Wo1verine » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:08 pm

truthrising wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:
Indeed wrote:Not having Lowry is the future? You think he wants to stay with a bunch of bench players like Bargnani did the last few seasons? Look at our starting roster, who can create for himself and who can defend his position.

Lowry is good, but not worth building around when we don't have the pieces necessary in terms of becoming a contender with him.. This team is still far away, It's like i am the only one who sees this!

Nah, I think most people see that tanking isn't in MLSE's ideology. Just look at the Leafs, have they ever done a proper tanking job since MLSE took over?

couldn't tell you, don't follow them.
BrunoSkull
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#563 » by Wo1verine » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:12 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:

Well I agree, and I think there's probably a lot of people who would agree that BC's plan to begin "accelerating" the rebuild (which had barely even started) was foolish, short-sighted and self-serving. But unless he's fired and MLSE changes course it seems like it's the train we're on for now.

Lets hope both happen next year!
BrunoSkull
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,508

Post#564 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:13 pm

MOAR KWIK FIKSEZ!!!!!!!!
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
ImissJordan
General Manager
And1: 968

Post#565 » by ImissJordan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:14 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:MOAR KWIK FIKSEZ!!!!!!!!

I thought you wanted Gay?

:wink:
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#566 » by Landomar » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:15 pm

Jared Dudley + expirings is a good offer. Dudley, W.Johnson, S.Brown for Gay. Simple and reasonable for both sides. Dudley doesn't have the star power of Rudy Gay, but on a good team like Memphis he fits perfectly, and given the salary difference I'd much rather have Dudley if I'm Memphis. Phoenix has some money availalbe and needs more talent in general, so I think they'd rather have Gay. Win/win.
RapsFanInOhio
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,965

Post#567 » by RapsFanInOhio » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:16 pm

Toronto: Gay, Carter
Memphis: Marion, Anderson, Roddy
Dallas: Calderon, Kleiza

Probably not great for Dallas unless they're blowing it up.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#568 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:18 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Remind you that we still need to trade DeRozan for cap relief next year.

Why on earth do we need cap relief for???

Perhaps not next year, but we will only have 5m to sign Lowry and Davis.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#569 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:21 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:

I am not sure we planned on accelerating the rebuild, and Lowry was the second choice after Nash.
However, Lowry is pretty much the best player we had, and letting him go means we are even worst in talent. We have no player who can create off the dribble from the perimeter.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#570 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:21 pm

ImissJordan wrote:

I thought you wanted Gay?

:wink:

Lol. Back then, with Bosh, and rebuilding yet to do, yes.

Now, with him becoming our best player and no end to the treadmill in sight?

No.

Now is always the wrong time to rebuild. Now it's always too painful. Now it's always not commercially viable.

I don't get how people who make that argument feel it will ever get to be a better time, by itself.

Short term solutions to avoid short term pain leading to long term pain leading to short term solutions to avoid short term pain leading to long term pain leading to short term solutions to avoid short term pain leading to....

This will NEVER stop itself. It will always have to happen at a time when it feels too painful. As long as we keep long term planning like 10 year olds, we'll stay as enablers to better teams in the short term and lesser teams in the long term.

Remember all the times when it was too painful to rebuild in the past? Back when the Clippers and Celtics and Grizzlies and Thunder were teams we looked down on? God, it felt good to avoid all that pain, didn't it?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Bryan Colangelo
Pro Prospect
And1: 702

Post#571 » by Bryan Colangelo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:22 pm

Terrence Ross + Demar Derozan + Jose Calderon for Rudy Gay and let's say Wroten or Selby
or
Kyle Lowry + Demar Derozan + Jose Calderon for Rudy Gay + Mike Conley + Wroten or Selby
Joe Buddy
Pro Prospect
And1: 163

Post#572 » by Joe Buddy » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:22 pm

Indeed wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:I can handle Gay if enough bad contracts are going out the door...

But the guy we should be looking at is J. Dudley... Make it a three way deal, ship out Derozan and bring in Dudley

lol, Dudley is another bench player. I wonder when people would stop obsessing these role players. He doesn't have a handle, he can't create for himself.

Dudley is a lot better than you think he is. He can create for himself, can shoot and plays solid defense. Not to mention the difference in contract between him and Gay.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#573 » by Beardman » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:23 pm

The reality is that trading for Rudy Gay and then re-signing Lowry gives us a better chance of having talent secured than depending on lottery picks to develop...

I'm tired of the Charlie V's, Joey Grahams, Andreas, DD's etc.. Lets just make a fringe 2nd rnd playoff team and get it over with.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#574 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:24 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Why on earth do we need cap relief for???

Because there's a salary cap and because Rudy Gay makes a ton of money and because so do all the Raptors roleplayers that BC has already overpaid.

With Lowry / DD / Gay / Ed / Val /
Bayless
Ross
fields
Amir
Haddadi

I don't see why we need to cut salary. That is about as good as a team as we can put together and when you are trying to make a run, then yeah you are going to have to go into the tax. That gets offset by our increase in popularity with a good team with star power.

We can't be a good team while having boatloads of flexibility...

Oh please, look at the future salary yourself, we simply cannot afford 10m from DeRozan, 20m from Gay, 7m from Amir, 6m from Fields, and a few first rounders. This is the reason why people object getting Gay. You probably can't have both DeRozan, Lowry, Davis and Gay together, adding Fields and Amir into the cap.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#575 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:27 pm

Beardman wrote:

The reality is that trading for Rudy Gay and then re-signing Lowry gives us a better chance of having talent secured than depending on lottery picks to develop...

Having talent secured is easy, if your aspirations are low. Secure whatever we have now. We won't evaporate. We'll grind out a lesser version of the one with Gay. Neither one will go anywhere. So if all you're worried about is security, lock up Whoever we've got and reset your arbitrary aims from 'below contender by X3' to 'below contender by X4' or whatever. There, done deal, we're secure.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Bryan Colangelo
Pro Prospect
And1: 702

Post#576 » by Bryan Colangelo » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:28 pm

How about:
Jonas Valanciunas + Kyle Lowry + Demar Derozan for Rudy Gay
Then we can keep Andrea and Jose

C. Amir
PF. Bargs
SF. Gay
SG. Ross
PG. Jose
^^ Playoffs baby!
Indeed
RealGM

Post#577 » by Indeed » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:30 pm

Joe Buddy wrote:
Indeed wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:I can handle Gay if enough bad contracts are going out the door...

But the guy we should be looking at is J. Dudley... Make it a three way deal, ship out Derozan and bring in Dudley

lol, Dudley is another bench player. I wonder when people would stop obsessing these role players. He doesn't have a handle, he can't create for himself.

Dudley is a lot better than you think he is. He can create for himself, can shoot and plays solid defense. Not to mention the difference in contract between him and Gay.

On isolation? I don't see it, you may want to ask the Suns board about this.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#578 » by Truthrising » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:30 pm

Indeed wrote:
Oh please, look at the future salary yourself, we simply cannot afford 10m from DeRozan, 20m from Gay, 7m from Amir, 6m from Fields, and a few first rounders. This is the reason why people object getting Gay. You probably can't have both DeRozan, Lowry, Davis and Gay together, adding Fields and Amir into the cap.

Agreed, we need to shed some salary if were to aquire Gay. This means getting rid Derozan (accelerates the development of Ross) Fields (not worth contract if hes a backup to Gay) Bargnani and Calderon.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Post#579 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:31 pm

I wish I knew how we could tank hard. Really do. With BC in charge though, it looks like we have to scrounge for the best short term fixes we can get. It's inevitable. He's going to do it again.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#580 » by Truthrising » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:32 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:I wish I knew how we could tank hard. Really do. With BC in charge though, it looks like we have to scrounge for the best short term fixes we can get. It's inevitable. He's going to do it again.

It's not BC, its MLSE's protocol to not tank.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka

Return to Toronto Raptors