ImageImageImageImageImage

MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 32)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How do you feel about the Raptors pursuing Rudy Gay?

Yes! Do it. He'd be our best wing by a mile.
47%
No way! He's overpaid, overrated.
16%
Meh. Only if he comes very cheap.
37%

Total votes: 259

YoungD23
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Re: Lowe: Rudy Gay being shopped (Raps interested?) 

Post#61 » by YoungD23 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:53 pm

HSOB SIRHC wrote:It's gonna suck if Ross is part of the deal.

What deal are you talking about? The dude is just throwing out a scenario, that's all.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#62 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:53 pm

dagger wrote:
TheForrestCity wrote:we have nothing that memphis would want... i dont see this happening

This would be a financial relief trade, and yes, we have something there Memphis would want.

Of course we do. But Gay here locks us into 8th-10th for the duration of his contract which makes no sense. We'd be much better off using those years to draft smart, trade smart and develop internally and organically. I'd do a 3 team deal though where Gay goes somewhere else, we send value to Memphis, and the 3rd team sends us bad deals and quality youth.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#63 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:53 pm

garbagnani wrote:if we get gay we need to keep ross, will value his shooting.

I would be down for jose + derozan for gay + bayless (or whoever else they have that can back up lowry for us).

I think MLSE should go into the tax. I would prefer to wait to trade for a better player than Gay (one that actually deserves max dollars), but it seems unlikely that we can do any better than gay.

No way. DeRozan may be almost as good right now at half the price going forward. A very poor value exchange.

Here's an idea of what Zach Lowe thinks MEM should expect to get. In this case, ATL would be the trading partner.
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA
@HPbasketball Not great for MEM, though I do think Korver/Harris/first-round pick could help. But if $ is No. 1 motivator, you usually lose
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
West Rouge
Banned User
And1: 324

Post#64 » by West Rouge » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:54 pm

He has a Colangelo style contract.

Which is probably the only reason he would even be available to us. Aside from Val almost all of our players are replaceable and im OK if we move one of Amir/Ed, Any of Bargs, Caldy, Klieza, Fields. Demar or Ross would be a be paying a bit much, but we would be getting a position filled with a starter.

I hope we can swing Caldy, Kleiza for Gay. Then flip Bargs in a deal that nets us Gasol

Lowry/Lucas
Demar/Ross
Gay/Fields/Peaches
Ed/Amir
Pau/Val/Gray

6-8th spot in the East.

Aww we can all dream I guess
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#65 » by HSOB SIRHC » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:56 pm

YoungD23 wrote:
HSOB SIRHC wrote:It's gonna suck if Ross is part of the deal.

What deal are you talking about? The dude is just throwing out a scenario, that's all.

There is NO deal. I'm saying IF there was a deal, it would suck if Ross was apart of it.
Credit to Turbozone
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Re: Lowe: Rudy Gay being shopped (speculates on Raps' intere 

Post#66 » by hsb » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:56 pm

dagger wrote:No matter what, we have to send some 2013-14 money with Jose in that scenario or we literally crash into the tax. Adding Gay's $17 million salary to our $59 million in obligations means puts us deep into taxed territory. Even amnestying Bargnani wouldn't totally solve that issue, since it wouldn't leave us much money under the tax line to sign a backup point guard, add a draft pick (if we have one) and keep Alan Anderson who will command more than his current minimum.

Respect the market.

Raptors are one of the few teams that can pay tax fairly comfortably.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#67 » by JunkYardSubs » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:57 pm

dagger wrote:
JunkYardSubs wrote:I'd do Calderon and Derozan but no way Id trade Ross or JV or Ed

Absolutely not. Do you even consider DeMar's now got a higher PER than Gay, that DeMar will be paid literally half of what Gay is paid for the balance of the latter's contract? That DeMar is four years younger than Gay and has room to improve?

Derozan is not as impactful as Gay overall, and Gay is a great fit next to Ross.

Not that Im crazy about the deal, nor would Memphis be since Demar can't shoot, but there's no way we'd have all three (even though they could all get 32 minutes each with nobody else playing and it would be a deadly wing rotation)
dagger
RealGM

Post#68 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:57 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:

Gay here locks us into 8th-10th for the duration of his contract which makes no sense. We'd be much better off using those years to draft smart, trade smart and develop internally and organically. I'd do a 3 team deal though where Gay goes somewhere else, we send value to Memphis, and the 3rd team sends us bad deals and quality youth.

I don't believe that. The question is whether it gets us higher than sixth. I kind of doubt it.
dagger
RealGM

Post#69 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:58 pm

JunkYardSubs wrote:
dagger wrote:
JunkYardSubs wrote:I'd do Calderon and Derozan but no way Id trade Ross or JV or Ed

Absolutely not. Do you even consider DeMar's now got a higher PER than Gay, that DeMar will be paid literally half of what Gay is paid for the balance of the latter's contract? That DeMar is four years younger than Gay and has room to improve?

Derozan is not as impactful as Gay overall, and Gay is a great fit next to Ross.

Not that Im crazy about the deal, nor would Memphis be since Demar can't shoot, but there's no way we'd have all three (even though they could all get 32 minutes each with nobody else playing and it would be a deadly wing rotation)

How is Gay those things. Have you looked at his production/performance this year?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#70 » by LLJ » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:58 pm

West Rouge wrote:He has a Colangelo style contract.

Which is probably the only reason he would even be available to us. Aside from Val almost all of our players are replaceable and im OK if we move one of Amir/Ed, Any of Bargs, Caldy, Klieza, Fields. Demar or Ross would be a be paying a bit much, but we would be getting a position filled with a starter.

GIving up DD or Ed is basically giving up a starter for a starter, which is a lateral move. Amir is the currently the best and most important big man on the team and arguably a starter as well in terms of his importance on this team.

You want to fill a spot, but not remove an existing spot to fill it. Ross is not close to ready for a starting spot.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,697

Post#71 » by Zeno » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:59 pm

RocLaFamilia wrote:Tor get: Rudy Gay
Mavs get: Jose, Klieza and Ellington
Griz get: Marion, Carter and Collison

Almost exactly the deal I was thinking. Memphis with new owners is not going to want to look like they are strictly dumping salary. But I think that Dallas would want full salary relief so no Kleiza. Send Kleiza to the Griz. Collison to us with the Mavs 2013 1st. Ross to Mavs.

Tor gets: Gay, Collison + Mavs 1st lotto protected.
Mavs get: Jose, Ross, Ellington
Grizz get: Marion, Carter, Kleiza
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
dagger
RealGM

Post#72 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:59 pm

hsb wrote:
dagger wrote:No matter what, we have to send some 2013-14 money with Jose in that scenario or we literally crash into the tax. Adding Gay's $17 million salary to our $59 million in obligations means puts us deep into taxed territory. Even amnestying Bargnani wouldn't totally solve that issue, since it wouldn't leave us much money under the tax line to sign a backup point guard, add a draft pick (if we have one) and keep Alan Anderson who will command more than his current minimum.

Respect the market.

Raptors are one of the few teams that can pay tax fairly comfortably.

This would lock us into tax before it even proves to be a winner. I'm pretty sure MLSE would only pay tax for a proven winner of some sort, even if it's a playoff team with upside. I don't think they do it on speculation alone.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#73 » by MEDIC » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:00 pm

Unless we can get him for Jose's expiring & fodder, then I'm not really interested anymore. Derozan has been providing much of what Rudy has this season.

I'm liking the direction this team is heading now. We still need to figure out what to do with Bargnani (trade or amnesty), but I would like to see the lineup tinkering done in the summer.

Harden would have been the guy to go all out for (giving up young pieces). Gay just isn't on that level.

I'm starting to like the idea of Derozan bulking up & moving to the 3.......as long as we get a big backup defensive 3 that can match up with the bigger 3's in the league.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#74 » by Death Knight » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:01 pm

Always love reading poster's trade proposals around here. :lol:
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#75 » by JunkYardSubs » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:03 pm

dagger wrote:
How is Gay those things. Have you looked at his production/performance this year?

Gay has not been great this year but you cannot look at PER from a 30 game sample and assume Derozan is a better player. Derozan is still a horrendous defender and has a minimal impact overall
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,786

Post#76 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:03 pm

Just like what others have said, my only hope in BC is that he does have leverage in this trade if he sees it. Memphis did switch ownership but, I'm not 100% sure if they're willing to pay the tax or not.

If Memphis is willing to pay the tax with this current core, BC should just walk away. It'll be like JO all over again. putting the Raptors right on it next year without any flexibility to do anything.

Only way I can see this deal working at least for our perspective is if we had a 3rd team with cap space help us out. Cleveland and Houston are the only ones who can do it. For Houston, at least Bargnani is a good 3rd option there and Houston can send smaller contracts in return.
Norma Wick
Junior
And1: 97

Post#77 » by Norma Wick » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:04 pm

Bargs and Lowry for Gay and The Boy Bay

"You know the sad thing about surprises? It never comes when you expect it" - Jr. Smith
dagger
RealGM

Post#78 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:05 pm

Norma Wick wrote:Bargs and Lowry for Gay and The Boy Bay

That won't work for Memphis. Saves them nothing financially which would be the only reason they would deal Gay.
henrydunn13
Pro Prospect
And1: 126

Post#79 » by henrydunn13 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:06 pm

I'd give up Calderon and Fields for Gay and Wroten Jr. Gay's contract is insane so I'd like to get a young prospect on a long, cheap contract (Wroten) to help stomach it. Fields looks like he's going to rebound from his awful start to the season and Calderon is the best player in the trade with the most reasonable contract.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=accysjy
Let's follow eachother on Twitter, it's easier. @RaptorsRhetoric
Beauge
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#80 » by Beauge » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:06 pm

Calderon and Fields for Gay and Bayless. In the offseason amnesty Kleiza (who will be in the last year of his deal) and we would be under the luxury.

Anyone thinking MLSE will allow Barganani to be amnestied this offseason is crazy. He has two years left for $23 million which Raps would still need to pay (subject to partial reduction if picked up on amnesty waiver auction).

Also, Gay is better then what Raps would be able to pick up using its MLE in the offseason and Bayless provides an o.k. back-up option.

Return to Toronto Raptors