ImageImageImageImageImage

MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 32)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

How do you feel about the Raptors pursuing Rudy Gay?

Yes! Do it. He'd be our best wing by a mile.
47%
No way! He's overpaid, overrated.
16%
Meh. Only if he comes very cheap.
37%

Total votes: 259

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Re: MEM shopping Rudy Gay (Raps interested, PHX in lead? P. 

Post#641 » by Double Helix » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:29 am

Harry Palmer wrote:DH:

Hypothetical.

The Raptors play exactly the same way they are playing now.

Only the league changes the rules so that instead of almost 60% of teams making the playoffs, almost 90% do.

Is your experience watching the exact same games played by the exact same players different? Is the bad basketball better?

If it is, isn't the solution to be found within our own perspectives? Just decide that today we want 100 points/pizza. Tomorrow we want a lot of 3s. W/e. it's not about having a chance to win it all, so let's set our own goals. As you say, the league sets their lines based on marketing...why do we buy in if the reality isn't different? We're seeing the top w/e % of basketball players in the world playing the game...if we abandon the need to build a real winner, why not find contentment wherever we look?

Harry, I want to reply to this but can't. I'm heading out for the night but will later. If you see it, awesome. If not, I wasn't ignoring.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 422

Post#642 » by cdel00 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:43 am

For me it's about watching the game played the right way. The thrill of long stretches of great team work on both ends of the court. The oohs and aahs of a well set pick. The joy of beautiful defensive rotations. The crispness of a buttery smooth stroke on a wide open shot created by a well executed play. Etc.

I often hear that only thing that counts is the W but I disagree. I think the only thing that counts is the performance during the 200 or so possessions. The result is not as meaningful to me as the play that lead to the result.

I want to see proper execution for 200 plays.

Win or lose I don't care for me it's all about the content that lead to the result.
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#643 » by Big Shot » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:44 am

Wall(2010), Irving(2011),and Davis(2012) were all consensus #1 pick and considered as franchise players.

I would be interested in waiting patiently and knowing how long it would take for their teams to turn into contenders. :D
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,426

Post#644 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:51 am

cdel00 wrote:For me it's about watching the game played the right way. The thrill of long stretches of great team work on both ends of the court. The oohs and aahs of a well set pick. The joy of beautiful defensive rotations. The crispness of a buttery smooth stroke on a wide open shot created by a well executed play. Etc.

I often hear that only thing that counts is the W but I disagree. I think the only thing that counts is the performance during the 200 or so possessions. The result is not as meaningful to me as the play that lead to the result.

Win or lose I don't care for me it's all about the content that lead to the result.

Why watch the NBA? You sound like a natural NCAA fan.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,426

Post#645 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:53 am

Double Helix wrote:
Harry, I want to reply to this but can't. I'm heading out for the night but will later. If you see it, awesome. If not, I wasn't ignoring.

Cheers. Have a good one.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 422

Post#646 » by cdel00 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:55 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
cdel00 wrote:For me it's about watching the game played the right way. The thrill of long stretches of great team work on both ends of the court. The oohs and aahs of a well set pick. The joy of beautiful defensive rotations. The crispness of a buttery smooth stroke on a wide open shot created by a well executed play. Etc.

Why watch the NBA? You sound like a natural NCAA fan.

I like both :)
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#647 » by kmatrixg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:18 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I love that PHX trade for Memphis. Dudley is exactly the type of player MEM needs to replace Gay with at SF. He'd be a permanent version of 2011 Battier for them spacing the floor, hitting open shots and moving the ball with a high IQ. Or basically the Tayshaun Prince to their 2000s Pistons. Don't think the Raps can compete with that offer even if they put Ross in the trade, because MEM is still trying to win a title the next 2 years and nothing we can offer helps that as much as PHX giving them that Dudley glue guy piece on the wings

This is basically spot on to what is going on. People downplaying Dudley haven't analyzed much of what the guy does. With Conley, Randolph and Gasol, they don't need much playmaking ability - especially at the behest of 19 million a season. Dudley will do the job well, and for a fifth of the cost. We can't compete with the offer, and I haven't seen Hollinger talk well about one of our players for YEARS. Dudley is a Hollinger star - cheap and efficient.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#648 » by suntzuballin » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:24 am

i can see this trade go down but beasly probly going other way grizz have no one to man the 3 spot i see grizz being even stronger team with dudly and beasly plus the get the lakers pick i bet rather then give up there own too the suns missed out on Gordon so Rudy Gay be there centerpiece
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#649 » by fredericklove » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:32 am

Can someone help me think of ways to obtain both Gay and Milsap, trade offer scenario whatever without hitting over the caps.

Lowry
DD
Gay
Milsap
Val

Fapworthy.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,018

Post#650 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:33 am

kmatrixg wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I love that PHX trade for Memphis. Dudley is exactly the type of player MEM needs to replace Gay with at SF. He'd be a permanent version of 2011 Battier for them spacing the floor, hitting open shots and moving the ball with a high IQ. Or basically the Tayshaun Prince to their 2000s Pistons. Don't think the Raps can compete with that offer even if they put Ross in the trade, because MEM is still trying to win a title the next 2 years and nothing we can offer helps that as much as PHX giving them that Dudley glue guy piece on the wings

This is basically spot on to what is going on. People downplaying Dudley haven't analyzed much of what the guy does. With Conley, Randolph and Gasol, they don't need much playmaking ability - especially at the behest of 19 million a season. Dudley will do the job well, and for a fifth of the cost. We can't compete with the offer, and I haven't seen Hollinger talk well about one of our players for YEARS. Dudley is a Hollinger star - cheap and efficient.

Didn't MEM have similar player in Shane Battier 2 years ago? How did that work for them in their championship quest? TOR can offer a much better package for Gay than PHX.
Snakeyes
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#651 » by Snakeyes » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:55 am

Hope he ends up on the Suns. Once Gay is traded, there won't be any knee-jerk BC treadmill moves left, right?
SwaggWagg
Banned User
And1: 329

Post#652 » by SwaggWagg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:02 am

Snakeyes wrote:Hope he ends up on the Suns. Once Gay is traded, there won't be any knee-jerk BC treadmill moves left, right?

So Rudy Gay would be a treadmill move? :lol:

This fanbase never stops amazing. :P
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#653 » by Wo1verine » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:07 am

SwaggWagg wrote:
Snakeyes wrote:Hope he ends up on the Suns. Once Gay is traded, there won't be any knee-jerk BC treadmill moves left, right?

Adding Rudy Gay is defiantly a treadmill move..

adding him doesn't take us to the next level.
BrunoSkull
SwaggWagg
Banned User

Post#654 » by SwaggWagg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:10 am

Ross, Davis, Bargnani, Calderon, Pick

For

Randolph, Gay

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Randolph
Valanciunas
SwaggWagg
Banned User

Post#655 » by SwaggWagg » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:12 am

Wo1verine wrote:
SwaggWagg wrote:

We'll not get a player anywhere near that talented anytime soon. Fans of this team being this absurdly picky is ridicuous considering our history.
TheWire
Senior
And1: 889

Post#656 » by TheWire » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:15 am

SwaggWagg wrote:Ross, Davis, Bargnani, Calderon, Pick

For

Randolph, Gay

Lowry
Derozan
Gay
Randolph
Valanciunas

Championship time
TheWire
Senior
And1: 889

Post#657 » by TheWire » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:17 am

What BC should be looking at is dealing Demar+ed for Cousins
followed by ross+Bargnani+Calderon for Gay

a starting 5 of
lowry

gay
cousins
Val
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#658 » by Wo1verine » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:17 am

SwaggWagg wrote:We'll not get a player anywhere near that talented anytime soon. Fans of this team being this absurdly picky is ridicuous considering our history.

That's true, but unless we're contender's , i don't care because our roster isn't talented enough with gay and that's not a knock on him! we're just not in a position to be adding high priced players to a mediocre roster at this point.
BrunoSkull
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#659 » by JunkYardSubs » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:22 am

Wo1verine wrote:
SwaggWagg wrote:We'll not get a player anywhere near that talented anytime soon. Fans of this team being this absurdly picky is ridicuous considering our history.

That's true, but unless we're contender's , i don't care because our roster isn't talented enough with gay and that's not a knock on him! we're just not in a position to be adding high priced players to a mediocre roster at this point.

Yeah if we get Rudy we have to add more

If the goal is "be a decent playoff team":

Lowry
Demar
Gay
Milsap
Val

Thats a decent team, I don't like the idea though
Snakeyes
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#660 » by Snakeyes » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:22 am

SwaggWagg wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:
SwaggWagg wrote:So Rudy Gay would be a treadmill move? :lol:

We'll not get a player anywhere near that talented anytime soon. Fans of this team being this absurdly picky is ridicuous considering our history.

The chance to draft a perfect prospect for this city like Wiggins may not reappear anytime soon either.

Return to Toronto Raptors