ImageImageImageImageImage

What logical reason is there for jose to start?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

What logical reason is there for jose to start? 

Post#1 » by Illuminati_ » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:22 pm

Somebody gotta explain to me why we mortgaged our future for a bench player? All i hear from raptor media(managment) is how Lowry should be brought along slowly. So let me get this straight you have an established nba player who is coming off arguably his best year. You traded away a lottery pick which could possibly be top 5. This guy isn't jonas valancunias. I can understand having to bring him along slowly as hes adjusting to the NBA game and is still a young raw Center.

What baffles me here is Lowry is getting the same treatment as bayless did the season before. Bayless imo was a risk/reward player so Casey's decisions didnt really hold back this franchise. Bayless was routinely outplaying Jose calderon last season but was benched for the most miniscule errors. He was scolded by Casey the same way some of the younger guys are today. He had a more impressive run that jose did this season highlighted by a big win in memphis but didnt even threaten Jose for his job. Some of us here can see how Bayless was mistreated and was probably our best prospect at the guard position at the time. However like i said with him it was risk/reward he he turned out to be a productive player it would have been a shrewd move by BC.

In this situation here we mortgaged our future for a guy playing 20 minutes off the bench. We all saw Jose having trouble bringing the ball up the court, having his vision taken away by Westbrook and got embarassed on the defensive end. Lowry held his own with Westbrook but was given quick hooks? Whats wrong with this picture.

The eyeball test clearly shows you who is the better defender of the two. One is clearly a darn good defender while the other doesnt give any effort. For those who want the statistics to back it up..have a look at Lowry defense as a rocket last season.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=214244

It isnt even a question who fits Casey's "defensive" culture here. But the wrong player is being held accountable. All i've heard from casey is it starts with defense yet i've yet to see Jose held accountable for his shotty D and thats an understatement.

I know this board believes a PG touted as an elite defender should stop all penetration on his own and play lockdown man to man D but it doesnt exist in the NBA. Lowry can do as much as possible one can ask from his position and thats what makes him one of the better defenders at PG.

Offensively whens the last time Jose went to the cup? Hes predictable out there. Lowry dribble penetration and aggresiveness opens up the floor for corner shooters which we finally have. Him having a pick and pop parter in Bargnani would surely help us out. Regardless it should be clear right now our winning streak was pretty much meaningless. And we're probably going to win more games as our schedule gets softer. Only one of those 7 wins came against a team above .500, 4 0f the 7 wins were at home during this "hotstreak" and the combined winning streak for our opp's? .302.

enough with this Jose is being showcased. If hes being showcased than why is all the propaganda directed at us fans? Why is that every game we must hear from Jack/Leo on how such a great teammate or point guard he is. Rarely have they brought up his faults. you wont hear Lowry competitive nature from them or how when things got ugly unlike Jose Lowry was still fighting. He came back, lost his job and is still outplaying Jose. He isnt a NBA rookie like Val. Hes a established player and should never have lost his job in the first place. Jose needs to be held accountable.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Re: What logical reason is there for jose to start? 

Post#2 » by J-Roc » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:23 pm

tl:dr

Casey just isn't very creative. He thinks he found a mix that works, so he'll stick with it.

It goes along with his "hell or high water" approach to coaching.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#3 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:29 pm

Colangelo is giving him PT for saving his job tbh, I have no doubt in my mind that BC told Casey to start Calderon once we started winning all those games
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#4 » by Throwback24 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:30 pm

This thread shouldn't be merged or closed becasue the OP brings up a very valid point. WE **** gave up our pick for Lowry, a player who may opt to leave this franchise if things continue to stay the course, and our brilliant coach and GM sit idle as his interest and hatred for this team continues to rise.

I don't particularly like how Ed-Ross and JV are being treated but I can live with that. Lowry on the other hand is an established player who has shown (larger sample size than Bargs, sorry BC) he can play at an elite level.

WTF are we doing? He isn't a rookie, stop treating him like one.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#5 » by Indeed » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:31 pm

I think Lowry has been too freely at the beginning of the season, however, more importantly is that we lacked talent, particularly those who played heavy minutes. Are you expecting you pass the ball to DeRozan, and he can create with something? No, he picks his opportunities. Are you expecting you pass the ball to Fields/McGuire, and he can do something offensive for you? No, they are not even worth the 5th option. His only option on the team offensively are:
1) Calderon on spot up,
2) Bargnani on an isolation/spot up/PnR/...,
3) Jonas/Amir(/Davis/Acy) on the roll/at rim,
4) DeRozan on the move (if he moves),
Bench:
5) Anderson on the move/isolation/PnR
6) Kleiza on spot up,
7) Ross on the move/spot up
8) HIMSELF! (Can I find some help?)

Without Bargnani, basically only Anderson from the bench can help creating something.
ZKS_STAL
Rookie
And1: 6

Post#6 » by ZKS_STAL » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:39 pm

Kyle "Sparkplug" Lowry.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#7 » by dTox » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:39 pm

Same reasoning behind Andrea starting..
TBZ for the win
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#8 » by wolfv » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:02 pm

These scrubs had the nerve to call out Lowry for being "selfish", remember?. Lowry was looking like a star, and I don't know if others were jealous, or just couldn't handle his strong personality. These losers enjoy playing with Jose, and they went on a nice streak. BC threw away a lotto pick
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#9 » by Dr Octagon » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:03 pm

He earned it.
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#10 » by Yoga » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:04 pm

dTox wrote:Same reasoning behind Andrea starting..
ThereIsNoSpork
Banned User
And1: 1,482

Post#11 » by ThereIsNoSpork » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:09 pm

+1000000000
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#12 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:13 pm

wolfv wrote:These scrubs had the nerve to call out Lowry for being "selfish", remember?. Lowry was looking like a star, and I don't know if others were jealous, or just couldn't handle his strong personality. These losers enjoy playing with Jose, and they went on a nice streak. BC threw away a lotto pick

BC traded a lotto pick for a backup PG, Even the Wizards GM is laughing at Colangelo
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#13 » by Yoga » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:13 pm

Calderon will have one or two good games and there will be threads about "giving Jose an extension", "Does Calderon deserve to be an allstar", etc. :lol:

You guys are too much
highscore
Sixth Man
And1: 524

Post#14 » by highscore » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:22 pm

Yoga wrote:Calderon will have one or two good games and there will be threads about "giving Jose an extension", "Does Calderon deserve to be an allstar", etc. :lol:

You guys are too much

People that keep thinking this forum is bi-polar should probably just realize that more than 1 person posts here. Those people that have hated Jose (and Bargnani, BC, or even Casey for that matter) have been pretty consistent. Almost even incredibly stubborn to a degree. It's just a matter of timing, losses generate negativity and those (like myself) would rather discuss the atrocities behind this treadmill team than make posts like "Yay Alan Anderson is so good today!"

The fact that Jose starts, and not to mention always closes games is absolutely unreal. The case of Jose Calderon has been a strange anomaly for the last five years as it is, what's happening this season is just beyond comprehension.
tmac101
Junior
And1: 18

Post#15 » by tmac101 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:22 pm

Yoga wrote:Calderon will have one or two good games and there will be threads about "giving Jose an extension", "Does Calderon deserve to be an allstar", etc. :lol:

You guys are too much
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#16 » by Big Shot » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:46 pm

The only logical reason is that Jose sucks even more playing off the bench. There's no word to describe how poorly he played off the bench.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#17 » by MEDIC » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:36 pm

Michael Jordan single handedly ruined this franhcise.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#18 » by Parataxis » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:41 pm

Big Shot wrote:The only logical reason is that Jose sucks even more playing off the bench. There's no word to describe how poorly he played off the bench.

Wait, I thought that the whole argument before (Forderon era) was that Jose was only good playing on the bench, and that's why his stats were meaningless?
Big Shot
Analyst

Post#19 » by Big Shot » Sun Jan 6, 2013 11:57 pm

Parataxis wrote:
Big Shot wrote:The only logical reason is that Jose sucks even more playing off the bench. There's no word to describe how poorly he played off the bench.

Wait, I thought that the whole argument before (Forderon era) was that Jose was only good playing on the bench, and that's why his stats were meaningless?

Now, not then.
Big Shot
Analyst

Post#20 » by Big Shot » Mon Jan 7, 2013 12:04 am

MEDIC wrote:Michael Jordan single handedly ruined this franhcise.

Unfortunately, that was possibly the only thing MJ did right after he retired.

Return to Toronto Raptors