ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: KG insults Melo's wife - Melo goes to C's locker room

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Sohogrand
Ballboy
And1: 13

Re: OT: KG insults Melo's wife - Melo goes to C's locker roo 

Post#141 » by Sohogrand » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:31 pm

MrJordanXI wrote:
Sohogrand wrote:Are you for real? Did you play sports in highschool? People talk trash about everything from race, gender, your mother etc.. But if you win thats all that matters.. if you let them get to you then they own your mind..

Umm yeah, I did play ball highschool and in several leagues growing up... and in a game I wasn't in but watching a guy called another guy the N Bomb and the place nearly erupted into a riot when the guy who was called the N Bomb kept repeating what the other guy said.

There are lines in trash talking buddy... like I said, go to your local community centre.. play a game with some strangers and call out a person's illness, or mother or whatever you'd consider to be a low blow. See what happens.

im not doubting that fights break out due to trash talk.. im saying that you should care more about winning then letting someone words cause you to have a temper tantrum. KG had Melo by his puppet strings.. In sports winning is important.. in pro sports it should be all that matters.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#142 » by Hero » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:32 pm

"I thought everybody was coming to talk to each other and figure out some things, going to dinner next time," Rondo said. "I don't know."
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,232

Re: OT: Melo Went to C's Locker room to fight KG 

Post#143 » by brownbobcat » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:33 pm

carlosey wrote:
Sohogrand wrote:lol i think your logic is flawed.. if the goal is to win basketball games then KG's trolling has a point. He mindraped Melo and Melo folded and played poorly. If confronting KG and "calling him out" somehow causes the other team to win then you have a point.. If KG kept getting submitted or Ko'd in the ufc then ppl could laugh at how not tough he is. But he won and Melo lost.

KG does far more than just a little trash talk. I have to assume that your "logic" is that sports should not be based on sportsmanslike competition. If youre going to act like a tough man, you cant go hiding behind sportsmanship and the strategy of the game to avoid confrontation. I mean you can, but that means youre a total puss like KG.

So KG talks a LOT of trash, big deal. This is the pros where millions of dollars are at stake, you need to be able to tune out the equivalent of a mama-joke. This is a game and the object is to win, it ain't real life.
Sohogrand
Ballboy

Post#144 » by Sohogrand » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:34 pm

SDM wrote:There are no lines in trash talk, there is no definitive "this is too much" moment. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

amen. it seems that a lot of grown men want to fight on the sensitivity battleground.. pro sports is not the place for thin skin, or mentally weak ppl
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#145 » by DG88 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:35 pm

Lol saying your wife taste like honey nut cheerios LMFAO
MrJordanXI
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#146 » by MrJordanXI » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:38 pm

SDM wrote:There are no lines in trash talk, there is no definitive "this is too much" moment. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

There are "this is too much" moments and KG KNOWS what he's saying is too much... that's why he goes out and calls out cancer patients, mothers that have passed away and family members... this is why he is a punk. The guy exhibits no sportsmanship, class, respect or dignity... I'd rather lose than be known as the guy who won by handing out low blows.
Sohogrand
Ballboy

Re: OT: Melo Went to C's Locker room to fight KG 

Post#147 » by Sohogrand » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:39 pm

carlosey wrote:
Sohogrand wrote:lol i think your logic is flawed.. if the goal is to win basketball games then KG's trolling has a point. He mindraped Melo and Melo folded and played poorly. If confronting KG and "calling him out" somehow causes the other team to win then you have a point.. If KG kept getting submitted or Ko'd in the ufc then ppl could laugh at how not tough he is. But he won and Melo lost.

KG does far more than just a little trash talk. I have to assume that your "logic" is that sports should not be based on sportsmanslike competition. If youre going to act like a tough man, you cant go hiding behind sportsmanship and the strategy of the game to avoid confrontation. I mean you can, but that means youre a total puss like KG.

haha so Melo missed 20 shots, lost the game, and had a temper tantrum in the parking lot. wow showed KG who's boss with that. KG is still renting space in Melo's mind.. he got totally controlled thats all im saying.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,877

Post#148 » by Boardbreaker » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:45 pm

kg's a punk, especially if that duncan story is true. i wonder how he would feel if people started using malik sealy to trash talk him. unfortunately (or fortunately) no one else in the league would stoop low enough to his level to do it. he's only a "tough guy' because he knows he can get away with it. this isn't the streets, there's plenty of officials, players, etc. to break anything up, cameras rolling, so he knows nothing will happen to him. he's like that kid at school that keeps bugging you knowing that you won't do anything because the teacher's watching, then when school's over he runs to his mom's car.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,381

Post#149 » by Tha Cynic » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:45 pm

Sohogrand wrote:Are you for real? Did you play sports in highschool? People talk trash about everything from race, gender, your mother etc.. But if you win thats all that matters.. if you let them get to you then they own your mind..

There are two ways Melo could have reacted - either in anger like he did, or he could have just ignored it. Most people at some point in their lives have reacted both ways. If Melo was having a good game and the Knicks were winning against the Celtics, Melo would probably not have reacted the same way he did. As some have mentioned, with adrenaline pumping, it's not really surprising that Melo reacted like he did. At the end of the day words do have a huge impact on people. If words can be used for motivation, which is also a form of manipulation, then why can't they be used for a negative reaction? Personally, I have no problem with how Melo reacted because I think it was more about Melo simply being pissed off at the way the game was going, than anything else. We have all snapped at some point in our lives - and it's in our nature to react strongly in certain situations.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#150 » by ash_k » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:48 pm

Melo was losing and was missing his shots and was being played physical..and was extra sensitive..
NBA stands for NO BOYS ALLOWED too.

KG wins this by Technical KnockOut.

KG has been MVP and has nothing to prove to anyone about anything.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#151 » by J-Roc » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:50 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:Most of us would be pissed off if somebody made an insulting comment about our wife/family members at any point in time. Now imagine you're playing a physical basketball game, emotions are high, nerves are on edge, AND somebody made a comment like that to you. Its understandable that Melo reacted the way he did. I've nearly been involved in altercations on the court without the other person saying anything, let alone him insulting someone in my family to my face.

Melo stood up for himself and I respect that.

The big issue here wasn't the reactions on court, in the heat of the moment. It was Melo going out to the C's team bus. Off the court.
david5773
Banned User
And1: 94

Post#152 » by david5773 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 9:51 pm

tracey_nice
Analyst
And1: 274

Post#153 » by tracey_nice » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:07 pm

u mean, in terms of retaliating with violence? kg can say w.e. he wants but sometimes ppl are going to want to punch him for it. it's all in the game.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#154 » by JV4MVP » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:17 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:

There are two ways Melo could have reacted - either in anger like he did, or he could have just ignored it. Most people at some point in their lives have reacted both ways. If Melo was having a good game and the Knicks were winning against the Celtics, Melo would probably not have reacted the same way he did. As some have mentioned, with adrenaline pumping, it's not really surprising that Melo reacted like he did. At the end of the day words do have a huge impact on people. If words can be used for motivation, which is also a form of manipulation, then why can't they be used for a negative reaction? Personally, I have no problem with how Melo reacted because I think it was more about Melo simply being pissed off at the way the game was going, than anything else. We have all snapped at some point in our lives - and it's in our nature to react strongly in certain situations.

+1

Also to the other posters, there's nothing wrong with trash talking but limit it to insulting someones game and not making comments on his family.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#155 » by Danchan » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:17 pm

if he was a real tough guy he wouldn't do this "we settle it over the phone" he would have said I am going to **** him up next game. But Crymelo is all drama.
True story, he wasn't really that MAD. Probably just felt his manhood was diminished if he doesn't react.

props to him for finding the courage and standing up for himself. But he was still the one being bullied. The real correct way is to shrug it off or retaliate. You don't get points for being sensitive.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,501

Post#156 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:29 pm

This 'trash talking is fine, but he shouldn't talk about ____' stuff misses the point.

If you are playing a trash talker and are paying enough attention to what he's saying that you are able to make the distinction about where he crosses some line, you are already playing his game. He's already inside your head.

Ignoring him means his words mean nothing, whatever they are. Might as well be some language you don't understand.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Sohogrand
Ballboy

Post#157 » by Sohogrand » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:31 pm

tracey_nice wrote:

u mean, in terms of retaliating with violence? kg can say w.e. he wants but sometimes ppl are going to want to punch him for it. it's all in the game.

not really.. since one guy won and the other lost
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#158 » by Waylon Mercy » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:40 pm

Didn't Charlie V snap on KG because he called him a cancer patient or something like that
regarding his disease that prevents him to grow hair?
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#159 » by darth_federer » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:40 pm

This is the same guy who said Happy Mother's Day to Tim Duncan after his mother died. He told Charlie V he looked like he had cancer even though he has Alopecia.

Personally Im the kind of person who would just laugh at that stuff but I can understand Carmelo's reaction

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
Abba Zabba
Rookie
And1: 100

Post#160 » by Abba Zabba » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:46 pm

Hard Foul.

In every sport there's the rules and there's the "way the game is played": an understanding of what is allowable and not amongst the players. The same applies in every culture and society, there's law and there is honour/ethos. So to SDM telling me that nothing is off limits I don't know how he can expect me to believe he knows the code that exists amongst NBA players that it consists of no code at all. That would be a major break from all human behaviour everywhere on the planet for the last 5 thousand years. A genuinely extraordinary circumstance.

Garnett reminds me of Sean Avery in that he is a pest who steps over the line of acceptable behaviour amongst players but an effective one. The difference is the NHL has changed rules to protect the ethos of the game from Avery when he has gone to far while the NBA has coddled Garnett while extolling his "passion".

I've never understood why you don't see more settling the score type hard fouls in the NBA. The other day Sefalosha threw Jose to the ground and later we let him go straight to the basket instead of using the opportunity to drive the point home.

I believe the NBA, more than any other professional sport keeps a tight lid on this stuff as it fears the bad image of aggressive black youths being streamed into middle america's living room. Not quite racist but a behaviour based on the expected racism of your market. So the policing yourself aspect gets taken out of the game while it is understood as inherent to baseball, hockey, and to a lesser degree football. What do you get? The eye sore that is Garnett's behaviour which the NBA tacitly condones like the over indulgent parents of a spoiled child while coming down hard on any attempt by players to enforce a standard of behaviour amongst themselves.
Thanks TZ

Return to Toronto Raptors