ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Espn - Drummond could rank as 'greatest teen' in NBA his

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Re: OT: Espn - Drummond could rank as 'greatest teen' in NBA 

Post#81 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 am

Let's face it, BC didn't want to draft a big because he had Bargnani pencilled in as unchallenged starting PF as the future

Sad. But probably true.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#82 » by Volcano » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 am

TheForrestCity wrote:
Morse Code wrote:I have no problem with Ross and I think he'll be a great player in the future for us, but I still really wish we took a chance on Drummond. If nothing else, we could've traded him for Lowry instead of next year's pick. That is of course if BC actually had no interest in grooming another mentally unequipped player. Val + Drummond then trade everyone else and tank. we would be looking pretty good in a few years time.

Really? so we gave up a game changing Big because we had Val? im sorry but Val hasn't looked all that impressive to me... And Ross has had a handful of good games but hes nowhere near a game changer.

In terms of positional conflicts (even though we shouldn't even be looking at that..BPA right?), I think the biggest concern would be defensive ability.

Considering we've had Bargnani for 7 years, it shouldn't be a concern at all whether we could play Drummond/JVal at the same time.

Offensively, JVal can hit the mid-range, which is all that's needed.

Aside from that, it doesn't even matter how they fit right now since we're in rebuilding mode and both those guys are extremely young and haven't begun developing. Worrying about fit and playing styles as a lotto team? lol..
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#83 » by dacrusha » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am

Dalek wrote:This just makes me sad. Even if we are in position to get a gamechanger, we don't even know how to take advantage of the opportunity.

We missed Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe and Avery Bradley for Ed Davis. Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Brandon Jennings for Demar Derozan. The list goes on and on.

You know what, when I look at Detroit, there is a team that picked after us twice and now they have Brandon Knight and Andre Drummond. I like those two much more than JV and Ross. It will be interesting to see how this season and next year plays out for Toronto and Detroit.

Really, you can't be upset at us choosing Ross over Drummond and then also use your Derozan example above. Derozan was just as raw and a reach (and NOT your typical BC draft candidate) as Drummond was.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#84 » by Saciid11 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am

The worst thing about BC is that he arrogantly refuses to admit his mistakes keeps making horrible decision over and over... we didn't draft Drummond cause he was long term project and we were supposed to compete for the playoff, when that failed we draft, the cause was JVAL who is having worse season then the project Drummond...

Know that we are rebuild what is his excuse for passing up on franchise center, much better prospect then JVAL or anyone on this team.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#85 » by arbsn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 am

In theory, yea, it'd be great if we drafted Drummond. But he probably single handily would have ruined Jonas Valanciunas's career.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#86 » by Hero » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 am

theycallmeZZ wrote:People are acting like Ross sucks

We got a pretty good player out of the draft too, this isn't Rafael-Iggy

He looks like a Dleaguer compared to Dre.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#87 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Let's face it, BC didn't want to draft a big because he had Bargnani pencilled in as unchallenged starting PF as the future

Sad. But probably true.

Those infamous 13 games screwed up this franchise for years to come. Of course, if they hadn't happened, then we would have drafted Lillard ... or Barnes ... or Waiters. Or hell, maybe Davis.

Andrea sure knows when to pick his spots.
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#88 » by JunkYardSubs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 am

Hero wrote:

Demars a superstar though
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#89 » by Saciid11 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 am

arbsn wrote:In theory, yea, it'd be great if we drafted Drummond. But he probably single handily would have ruined Jonas Valanciunas's career.

The Raptors are more important then JVAL's career, BC works for the Raps...not JVAL or Bargnani. Drummond at worst case would have given Raptors long term defensive anchor in the middle and the best case top 3 center in the league in couple years....
Hero
RealGM

Post#90 » by Hero » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 am

JunkYardSubs wrote:
Hero wrote:

Demars a superstar though

Keep it on topic. This is about Drummond. Demar aint relevant.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#91 » by sanity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 am

Regardless of Ross being good or bad (I think he has a good chance of being slightly better than DeRozan), it was a bad pick to make based on the absolute certainty that we were overpaying for DeRozan's services anyway. No matter how you look at it, it was a bad pick for us.
Hero
RealGM

Post#92 » by Hero » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:52 am

arbsn wrote:In theory, yea, it'd be great if we drafted Drummond. But he probably single handily would have ruined Jonas Valanciunas's career.

Baseless claim. Where is the proof for this? Bargnani is ruining Val more than Drummond, if he is being "ruined" at all.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#93 » by wolfv » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 am

Hero wrote:

Baseless claim. Where is the proof for this? Bargnani is ruining Val more than Drummond, if he is being "ruined" at all.

I didn't really understand his comment, but I figured he meant ruining his career by stealing his job or something. AD has been great
tiger7
Bench Warmer
And1: 714

Post#94 » by tiger7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:12 am

Drummond thread on Raptors board #100...we get it.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,367

Post#95 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:38 am

Spacing wrote:I think if we were drafting BPA we would go Drummond 10/10 but we weren't, we were reaching for Ross.

There was also the notion that BC drafted Ross in case DD didn't pan out or his offer sheet was too high to match.

Instead BC did what he always does .... bid against himself.

I don't think so. I think Bargnani had a lot to do with why Drummond wasn't drafted. This guy seriously needs a career ending injury so we can finally be rid of him.

YogiStewart wrote:still don't understand why those of you are crowing about Toronto's missed opportunity.
Sac-town drafted Robinson instead of Drummond. they were looking for a big man. so didn't they err more than Toronto did when we already had our centre of the future on board?

What does Sacramento have to do with Colangelo's screw up and lack of vision? I guess its fitting that we're compared to the worst organization in basketball.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#96 » by COY0607 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:46 am

this is just depressing... imo the biggest BC mistake ever
kush-
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#97 » by kush- » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 am

FIRE BC
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
sanity wrote: Roko Ukic's court vision and play-making abilities far exceeds this player... I'm shocked this thread is going on as long as it has. Comparing Lin to Rautins is an insult to Rautins.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#98 » by suntzuballin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:46 am

Tha Cynic wrote:
Spacing wrote:I think if we were drafting BPA we would go Drummond 10/10 but we weren't, we were reaching for Ross.

There was also the notion that BC drafted Ross in case DD didn't pan out or his offer sheet was too high to match.

Instead BC did what he always does .... bid against himself.

I don't think so. I think Bargnani had a lot to do with why Drummond wasn't drafted. This guy seriously needs a career ending injury so we can finally be rid of him.

YogiStewart wrote:still don't understand why those of you are crowing about Toronto's missed opportunity.
Sac-town drafted Robinson instead of Drummond. they were looking for a big man. so didn't they err more than Toronto did when we already had our centre of the future on board?

What does Sacramento have to do with Colangelo's screw up and lack of vision? I guess its fitting that we're compared to the worst organization in basketball.

this exactly why conlangelo didnt draft drummond he had bargnoodle in mind it makes me get pissed off thinkin bout i remeber runnig home and seeing barns and drummond on the board and gstate picking barns and thrilled that drummond was gonna be a raptor albeit that snakeoil salesman and his serpintine brain picks somebody out of no where not say ross aint a good player somebody posted every year we hear on realgm get right pumped up for the draft,we think about who the raps gonna draft what order,what if etc etc and colangelo goes and draft someone from left like wtf based off of win now moves then later saying rebuild its fking pathetic
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#99 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:52 am

TJ Calderon wrote:
Regression2u wrote:
Choker wrote:So what we got this.

The game were he went 2-9... only 2 FGs being dunks?

Dunking is the future of basketball.

Every time this guy has a good game or gets a nice dunk, kids like him get raging boners for him while completely ignoring all the other games where he was utterly useless. Some people here actually consider him "untradeable." :lol: :lol:

The fact this scrub can't even get enough playing time with this pathetic wing corp is pretty sad and depressing considering he was suppose to be one of the most NBA ready player.

On a serious note I'm not as mad as most people are about Drummond. His time at UCONN was not a fluke. Unlikely that he would have ever repeated his underwhelming year again like that but Drummond is a sensitive personality. That's why he looked bad in UCONN and his motor was questioned; no one supported Drummond the way they had in Detroit and he didn't bring it.

In Toronto I've seen Casey turn Davis into a D-Leaguer his sophomore year. Terrence Ross was supposed to be NBA ready and his confidence was shattered early on in the season. Both players have came out of that hole, but for Drummond I don't think he would have recovered as quickly. And there's also the problem with the border. A large part of why he's playing so great is because his mom has been helping him through his rookie year. We always hear stories about how the border has caused trouble for teammates when it comes to their family.

I would still take him, but I would feel very uneasy with him in Toronto.
Read on Twitter
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,236

Post#100 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:45 am

Badonkadonk wrote:
roundhead0 wrote:So much navel-gazing.

Draft is a crapshoot. We got what looks to be a good player. Be relieved and move on.

This is the Raptors forum.

If you don't make the perfect hindsight pick out of your late-lottery slot, you have failed, whether you picked up a useful player, future starter, somebody you like to watch, etc.

Of course, all of this will be decided in the first quarter of their rookie seasons.

Drummond was the obvious pick. That's where the frustration comes from. If we had picked Drummond, and he didn't pan out, nobody would say anything because it would have been the correct pick in hindsight. It's like nobody can fault Portland for picking Oden, or Miami for picking Beasley. These were consensus picks.

Return to Toronto Raptors