ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Espn - Drummond could rank as 'greatest teen' in NBA his

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,327

Re: OT: Espn - Drummond could rank as 'greatest teen' in NBA 

Post#61 » by Bank Shot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Man, Drummond would be nice right now. Just for the sake of hope.
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#62 » by ReaLiez » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 pm

that ross dunk on page one is nutz
Justice
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#63 » by thunderforce » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 pm

I suppose he would be a nice player to have for most of the game , you just can't play him at the end of games you know when it really counts or your team will loose because everyone will hack him every time . I think I would rather have Ross someone you can play the whole game .
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#64 » by Dalek » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 pm

This just makes me sad. Even if we are in position to get a gamechanger, we don't even know how to take advantage of the opportunity.

We missed Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe and Avery Bradley for Ed Davis. Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Brandon Jennings for Demar Derozan. The list goes on and on.

You know what, when I look at Detroit, there is a team that picked after us twice and now they have Brandon Knight and Andre Drummond. I like those two much more than JV and Ross. It will be interesting to see how this season and next year plays out for Toronto and Detroit.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,435

Post#65 » by Morse Code » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 pm

DG88 wrote:Don't worry we're getting this guy :wink:

looks good in raptor red too. all this talk about superstar potential in young players makes me want to tank so bad. I've always been somewhat on the fence about it but leaned towards tanking. Now is as good a time as any with all these talented young guys about to take over the league in a few years. We desperately need some top-end talent. Drummond would've been nice but if we land a top talent of any sort, I would be delighted.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,435

Post#66 » by Morse Code » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Dalek wrote:This just makes me sad. Even if we are in position to get a gamechanger, we don't even know how to take advantage of the opportunity.

We missed Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe and Avery Bradley for Ed Davis. Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Brandon Jennings for Demar Derozan. The list goes on and on.

You know what, when I look at Detroit, there is a team that picked after us twice and now they have Brandon Knight and Andre Drummond. I like those two much more than JV and Ross. It will be interesting to see how this season and next year plays out for Toronto and Detroit.

Are you saying you prefer B Knight to Val as singles? or just the combo? wouldn't you prefer Val + Drummond over Knight + Drummond?
hillbilly hare
Veteran
And1: 219

Post#67 » by hillbilly hare » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 am

Double Helix wrote:As far as the Drummond discussion goes, I think it begins and ends with whether you're convinced he will climb a ton higher than how well he's started out of the gates. I will give you 2 reasons to think that he will probably maintain the points, rebounds, blocks pace he's on with increasing minutes year-after-year just as the following bigs did:

http://bkref.com/tiny/L17G0

Click on that link and head directly to the per 36 minute stats. Have a look at all three of those guys at roughly the same age.

Flash-forward 4-5 years later and Jordan's not all that different than how he entered the league. Amir's added a set shot and learned how to foul less. You can see that their per minute stats haven't really increased all that much over the years. It's entirely possible that Andre Drummond will plateau out as a C who gets you 11ppg/11rpg/2bpg during his prime. Don't get me wrong... that's still awesome and Ross would have to work a miracle to become more valuable as a 2 guard than that from a C. That said, I think a lot of the hype stems from the fact that people are looking at him at 19 and assuming he's going to make huge improvements. He may not. Those guys didn't make MASSIVE shifts on a per minute basis. Some bigs don't. Plus, if he does become another of the long line of bigs who entered the league without the ability to hit a free throw and never dramatically improves at it -- many haven't) then there's a good chance he will be hacked regularly as he starts playing more and more minutes. He may be the type of guy who costs his team games down the stretch someday by being hacked in the final 4 minutes of a close game. Can you imagine how frustrating that would be to watch?

Maybe. But the whole point of drafting Drummond would've been to maximize our trade assets. This is something all teams should do anyway, but even more so for a bad team with few real prospects. I thought at draft time and I still think now that Drummond has excellent trade value. Perhaps much more than Ross, if only for his age and position. What's most frustrating is that Colangelo has looked to take the best prospect / best upside / high perceived trade value kind of guy in previous drafts, with Demar and Ed and Jonas. Given Drummond's age, physical gifts and position, he was a monster prospect. Given how much centers are in demand, if we'd had both him and Jonas we could've gotten a good look at their games and then had the luxury of deciding which one to keep and which to trade for a position of need. As to the rest, such as his FT shooting, that's all speculation and in the end it is up to him. But you can point out a weak point for every young prospect. Is it more likely that Drummond improves his FT shooting, or Kidd-Gilchrist improves his outside shooting, or Ross improves his handle, or Waiters plays more under control, and so on?
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#68 » by Chaos Engine » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 am

YogiStewart wrote:
Guy Smiley wrote:
Considering BC's one saving grace is his "good drafting" I think it was a more than fair comment.

i think the argument is "acquiring tradeable assets" versus "getting the best player for the team", then yes, getting a centre with a questionable motor may have been the best way to go.

in the end, i'm perfectly fine with not taking Drummond. if we had a healthy Jonas, I wouldn't see the fit. and i am betting Casey said "i do not want any part of that headcase."

just my take

Drummond is not a headcase, stop with that. :lol:
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#69 » by roundhead0 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:13 am

So much navel-gazing.

Draft is a crapshoot. We got what looks to be a good player. Be relieved and move on.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#70 » by kmatrixg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:28 am

Greg Stink wrote:
pop-vlado wrote:
Choker wrote:So what we got this.

That baseline angle is drool worthy. What would we do without the guys in the truck? Oh wait...

They are the WORST! Live or never.

Nbatv Gametime didn't even show the baseline view though. I've only seen it on that hypnotic gif. Court cuts, hopefully?

Usually the wide rules, but...

That baseline angle is so impressive.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,755

Post#71 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 am

roundhead0 wrote:So much navel-gazing.

Draft is a crapshoot. We got what looks to be a good player. Be relieved and move on.

This is the Raptors forum.

If you don't make the perfect hindsight pick out of your late-lottery slot, you have failed, whether you picked up a useful player, future starter, somebody you like to watch, etc.

Of course, all of this will be decided in the first quarter of their rookie seasons.
SnotoriousBIG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,311

Post#72 » by SnotoriousBIG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 am

JN wrote:Dagger compared him to Jahidi White.

:lol:
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#73 » by Dalek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 am

Morse Code wrote:
Dalek wrote:This just makes me sad. Even if we are in position to get a gamechanger, we don't even know how to take advantage of the opportunity.

Are you saying you prefer B Knight to Val as singles? or just the combo? wouldn't you prefer Val + Drummond over Knight + Drummond?

I would prefer the combo, but that is revisionist history, I guess.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#74 » by ruckus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:52 am

Andre "rich daddy" Drummond

Cause he's money.

Why rich daddy? Mr Drummond from Diffrent Strokes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#75 » by JunkYardSubs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:06 am

Yeah we shoulda picked him

Im more angry at BC than Ross though
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#76 » by theycallmeZZ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 am

People are acting like Ross sucks

We got a pretty good player out of the draft too, this isn't Rafael-Iggy
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#77 » by Volcano » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:28 am

Even if Drummond doesn't pan out and Ross does, the strategy and gameplan behind it all is disconcerting.

Badonkadonk wrote:This is the Raptors forum.

If you don't make the perfect hindsight pick out of your late-lottery slot, you have failed, whether you picked up a useful player, future starter, somebody you like to watch, etc.

Of course, all of this will be decided in the first quarter of their rookie seasons.

a lot of opinions are revised in hindsight, but if you're screwing up in FORESIGHT, then you should be lashed and hanged from your nipples

YogiStewart wrote:still don't understand why those of you are crowing about Toronto's missed opportunity.
Sac-town drafted Robinson instead of Drummond. they were looking for a big man. so didn't they err more than Toronto did when we already had our centre of the future on board?

Great..that's just great. It's all good as long as we're on the same level as the other bottom level franchises.

I may be a beggar and give hj's for money, but at least I'm not like the other bum who gives bj's for money!
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#78 » by sanity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 am

Ross has 2 years on him. We obviously like our rookies more experienced and full of character. Immediate contributors towards our playoffs success.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#79 » by wolfv » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39 am

I just think we'd all be much more hopeful about the future of this wretched team if we had the front court of Drummond & Jonas. Other fans would be jealous of us. I like Ross and he's really the only exciting thing on this team, but he's not an AD/JV front court. With no draft to look forward to this offseason will also suck
TheForrestCity
Senior
And1: 383

Post#80 » by TheForrestCity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 am

Morse Code wrote:I have no problem with Ross and I think he'll be a great player in the future for us, but I still really wish we took a chance on Drummond. If nothing else, we could've traded him for Lowry instead of next year's pick. That is of course if BC actually had no interest in grooming another mentally unequipped player. Val + Drummond then trade everyone else and tank. we would be looking pretty good in a few years time.

Really? so we gave up a game changing Big because we had Val? im sorry but Val hasn't looked all that impressive to me... And Ross has had a handful of good games but hes nowhere near a game changer.

Return to Toronto Raptors