ImageImageImageImageImage

Enough is enough with Anderson

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Re: Enough is enough with Anderson 

Post#121 » by Big Shot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Beardman wrote:He shoots 38% ... I have no idea why people are vouching for this guy to continue getting looks. I mean, its just embarrassing to read some of this stuff. There is nothing that indicates that he is an NBA caliber player, he is a chucker that belongs in the d-league, he's lucky BC fetched him from there in the first place.

Do you know how easy it is to look half way decent on the Raptors ? ask Mike James.

I couldn't disagree more. AA is a NBA caliber player but just not a starter you'd like to have on your team. He is a very serviceable 6th man typed player. It won't take long to realize that if you watch the games.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,367

Post#122 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm

YoungG wrote:People are really mad that he took shots in overtime....few of those shots he was open. I admit he pressed the issue a bit, but the biggest thing is if he makes more of those open shots in overtime. This thread then becomes...We want more Anderson.

Not true. I don't care if he makes every shot; he should not be playing ahead of the younger wing players. Why are the Raptors developing a guy who has no future with the team, and is simply playing for a contract? Do you want the Raptors to be better going forward, by developing guys like Ross, or would you rather have Alan Anderson have big games?
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,314

Post#123 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm

While I think AA is shot-happy to say the least, I won't blame him for last night.

Casey put out a lineup of Jose/AA/DeRozan/Fields/Gray. Dissect this lineup:

Gray - Miami didn't even try to guard him. Chris Bosh was loading up at the point of penetration. This allowed Miami's defenders to play our guys tight.

Fields & DeRozan - Not good shooters to being with, and were being defended for the shot. The fact that Gray was in there meant that Chris Bosh could roam all driving lanes, essentially taking both players out of the game.

This leaves us with Calderon and Anderson. One of them has to take a shot, and Jose was being blanketed everywhere he went at the beginning of OT. Suffice it to say, Anderson was the only one that could even attempt a respectable shot.

That OT loss should be put squarely on DC. Never have I seen such blatant disregard for the obvious as I did last night.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#124 » by Beardman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Big Shot wrote:
Beardman wrote:He shoots 38% ... I have no idea why people are vouching for this guy to continue getting looks. I mean, its just embarrassing to read some of this stuff. There is nothing that indicates that he is an NBA caliber player, he is a chucker that belongs in the d-league, he's lucky BC fetched him from there in the first place.

Do you know how easy it is to look half way decent on the Raptors ? ask Mike James.

I couldn't disagree more. AA is a NBA caliber player but just not a starter you'd like to have on your team. He is a very serviceable 6th man typed player. It won't take long to realize that if you watch the games.

We're basically using him as a 6th man right now, and he still plays the game inefficiently. The only thing I can do is give him the benefit of the doubt and say that DC is instructing him to chuck away, he would not have a greenlight on any other team however.

I'd rather lose on Ross' miscues than some journeyman scrub.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,367

Post#125 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Bertoo wrote:Casey needs to have a sitdown with AA and verbally snap some sense into him, he has been playing out of his element and trying to do too much. He single handedly took Toronto out of that OT last night. Hard to watch.

I'm pretty sure Anderson is doing exactly what the coach wants him to do. My problem isn't with Anderson. We already know he's a D-League chucker, and he's going to continue to be that. My problem is with BC giving him a contract extension, and Casey for playing him so much. Casey loves the guy, and that's clear. He probably sees Anderson as his Jason Terry, even though Anderson is one of the worst shooters in the league, and 30 feakin' years old. I thought this thread was about Casey playing Anderson so much, not about how he shouldn't chuck. His game is to chuck. He really can't do anything else.

All of you bringing up points about how the lineup out there sucked - that's what we're all talking about. Why is Anderson in the game to begin with when there are younger players with promise, rotting on the bench?

lucky777s wrote:Nobody is saying AA is great. But he's the best wing the Raps have had in the BC era other than rentals of Marion or Barbosa.

Give us some real talent on the wings and AA becomes a very solid bench guy in limited minutes.

The overall lack of big time talent on the roster exposes all the second and third level talent we have and makes the fans angry at them. Its not the players fault. Its BC's fault.

Yes, the roster sucks and BC is incompetent. We know that already. But, are you telling me Terrence Ross wouldn't put up better numbers and shoot at least 38% from the field if given that many shots?
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#126 » by Double Helix » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Nobody's saying the guy doesn't have an intriguing story, or that he hasn't surprised many around the NBA with his play these past 2 years.

However, I'd also like to think that we can agree that if this guy is your team's best go-to option down the stretch, and you're relying on this guy to score regularly and efficiently every game your team has a serious problem on the wings.

Put simply, if the goal is to show MLSE that the core has been playing better lately with Bargnani out, so that Bargnani can be moved, and MLSE, the fans, and the media can be more excited about what a full season of play like this could look like, then make some calls and get a better, more efficient version of Alan Anderson.

If the goal is to develop the assets you drafted and extended then allow Derozan, Ross and Fields to become a larger part of the offence since they seem more likely to be here long-term. Don't allow a 30 year-old journeyman's quest for his next contract distract you from where you're at with 23 and 22 year old wing prospects.

Whatever the goal is... COMMIT to it fully. Either bring in superior versions of Alan Anderson to take the shots he's taking, or try to showcase your young guys more. What we're doing right now is about as treadmill as it gets. Actually, it's worse than treadmill what we're doing right now. We're over in the corner trying to figure out how the elliptical settings work.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#127 » by Death Knight » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Double Helix wrote:Nobody's saying the guy doesn't have an intriguing story, or that he hasn't surprised many around the NBA with his play these past 2 years.

However, I'd also like to think that we can agree that if this guy is your team's best go-to option down the stretch, and you're relying on this guy to score regularly and efficiently every game your team has a serious problem on the wings.

Put simply, if the goal is to show MLSE that the core has been playing better lately with Bargnani out, so that Bargnani can be moved, and MLSE, the fans, and the media can be more excited about what a full season of play like this could look like, then make some calls and get a better, more efficient version of Alan Anderson.

If the goal is to develop the assets you drafted and extended then allow Derozan, Ross and Fields to become a larger part of the offence since they seem more likely to be here long-term. Don't allow a 30 year-old journeyman's quest for his next contract distract you from where you're at with 23 and 22 year old wing prospects.

Whatever the goal is... COMMIT to it fully. Either bring in superior versions of Alan Anderson to take the shots he's taking, or try to showcase your young guys more. What we're doing right now is about as treadmill as it gets. Actually, it's worse than treadmill what we're doing right now. We're over in the corner trying to figure out how the elliptical settings work.

DeRozan has had his chances already. We pretty much know what he is and isn't by now. He's nothing special. Fields is a steady player at best, not much upside. Ross I agree, but the coach simply does not trust young players, especially at crunch time.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#128 » by Beardman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm

BC should be fired asap if AA has to do DD's job. Signing a guy to a lucrative deal and then the coach having a d-league player do his duties is just chaotic...especially when we're still losing games.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#129 » by lobosloboslobos » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Bertoo wrote:Casey needs to have a sitdown with AA and verbally snap some sense into him, he has been playing out of his element and trying to do too much. He single handedly took Toronto out of that OT last night. Hard to watch.

All those shots he took last night in OT were inexcusable but the fault is 100% on Casey not AA. If there was any offensive structure or accountability AA would never be allowed to go out there and jack up 6 shots in a row in OT or whatever it was. The fact that he did but stayed in the game points to the real problem. Do you think AA would get away with that if the Raps were coached by Pops or Doc Rivers?
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,314

Post#130 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:All those shots he took last night in OT were inexcusable but the fault is 100% on Casey not AA. If there was any offensive structure or accountability AA would never be allowed to go out there and jack up 6 shots in a row in OT or whatever it was. The fact that he did but stayed in the game points to the real problem. Do you think AA would get away with that if the Raps were coached by Pops or Doc Rivers?

While I agree with you that it was Casey's fault, this isn't an Anderson playing out of his role problem. He was the only option to shoot last night, that is the problem.

My post from before:

Casey put out a lineup of Jose/AA/DeRozan/Fields/Gray. Dissect this lineup:

Gray - Miami didn't even try to guard him. Chris Bosh was loading up at the point of penetration. This allowed Miami's defenders to play our guys tight.

Fields & DeRozan - Not good shooters to being with, and were being defended for the shot. The fact that Gray was in there meant that Chris Bosh could roam all driving lanes, essentially taking both players out of the game.

This leaves us with Calderon and Anderson. One of them has to take a shot, and Jose was being blanketed everywhere he went at the beginning of OT. Suffice it to say, Anderson was the only one that could even attempt a respectable shot.
Spacing
Banned User
And1: 2,252

Post#131 » by Spacing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Big Shot wrote:

What? If you watched the games you would realize ....

85% of his shots are jump shots where he is shooting 33% from the field and most are long range contested jumpers. When he does decide to drive the ball it's almost like the mafia told him not to pass or they will kill his family and he will go straight into double team expecting a Kobe call.

He NEVER passes ... let's get that straight. He doesn't make the team better.

If you look at 6th mans that are certified chuckers, their teams suck. If you look at 6th mans who actually make the second unit better by playing in a role outside of just a jump shooter they are usually winning teams.

Jamal Crawford, Kevin Martin, Jerryd Bayless, Ray Allen, etc.
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,905

Post#132 » by bape_lovers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Bayless does not bring anythin value to the griz...we seen that on our game against them

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Spacing
Banned User

Post#133 » by Spacing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:44 pm

bape_lovers wrote:Bayless does not bring anythin value to the griz...we seen that on our game against them

great 1 game sample size ... if you look at the stats comparison Bayless is shooting better than Anderson, has better shot selection, is a superior passer, and actually gets his team mates going.

Anderson iso's every play and everyone of the team stands still and watches.

If he had the efficiency that good iso players have like Kobe/LBJ/Wade/Durant then I would agree that give him the ball, let him iso but he doesn't, and he never will.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#134 » by Left Side Drive » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:44 pm

bape_lovers wrote:Bayless does not bring anythin value to the griz...we seen that on our game against them

Agreed, Jamal Crawford, K-Mart, and Ray Allen are much more efficient and beneficial to their respective teams than Bayless. Bayless has been terrible for the Grizzlies.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#135 » by Undefeated » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Bayless was good earlier in the season. I remember watching him against OKC in the first month and he was solid playing next to Conley. Dunno what the hell happened to him though.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#136 » by J-Roc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Have I not made myself clear over the years. BC has to be fired. This whole situation is a joke. We finally draft a real C, to go along with a glut of PF's, but now our team wants to play Miami Heat small ball. That's why Casey stick AA out there, because he can handle the ball.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#137 » by sweetcity » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 pm

If Anderson hit two of those shots in OT no one would be complaining. The blame should be on DeRozan not on AA. At least AA had the balls to take the shots and miss, DeRozan didnt, just like he has proven his entire career
Spacing
Banned User

Post#138 » by Spacing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 pm

sweetcity wrote:If Anderson hit two of those shots in OT no one would be complaining. The blame should be on DeRozan not on AA. At least AA had the balls to take the shots and miss, DeRozan didnt, just like he has proven his entire career

Uhmmm no - Not everyone is a bi-polar fan .... many of us have noted AA's chucking since the end of last season.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#139 » by McFurious1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:51 pm

sweetcity wrote:If Anderson hit two of those shots in OT no one would be complaining. The blame should be on DeRozan not on AA. At least AA had the balls to take the shots and miss, DeRozan didnt, just like he has proven his entire career

I agree 100% DeRozan had a chance to win the game for us in the 4th and failed.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,534

Post#140 » by Rapcity_11 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Some of the defending of AA is just :rofl:

Return to Toronto Raptors