ImageImageImageImageImage

Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now?

Moderators: tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin, Rhettmatic, FluLikeSymptoms, itbobby007, Morris_Shatford, Alfred, DG88, Undefeated

mirrornick
Banned User
Posts: 12,008
And1: 5,103
Joined: Jul 08, 2009
Location: Markham
 

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#16 » by mirrornick » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 am

I'm actually all for tanking next year to get Wiggins.

My wishful play for this year and next year

1) Give the pick to OKC in a weak draft (hope they draft a bust)
2) fire BC
3) give Casey one more year ( for tanking purposes )
4) Trade for another pick
5) get rid of Jose and Bargs

TANK HARD NEXT YEAR with a new GM
Volcano
RealGM
Posts: 13,119
And1: 3,857
Joined: Jan 17, 2005

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#17 » by Volcano » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 am

Rudy plays the same position as our future Wiggins..BC needs to blow up the team and collect as many picks as he can
RedX
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,127
And1: 2,045
Joined: Mar 23, 2009
   

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#18 » by RedX » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 am

No thanks. Not for what they are asking... Ross and Val for Gay? Lol...


Jose + Barg's but that's it, or Kleiza.
Image
User avatar
MikeM
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,168
And1: 2,838
Joined: Aug 10, 2006

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#19 » by MikeM » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 am

No. He's too expensive. We need the cap space for Demar, Fields, Kleiza and a re-signed Calderon.

And throw in a maxed out Ed Davis. Thank god we don't have good players getting overpaid. It's much better to have TRASH players getting overpaid.
Slackstring701
Starter
Posts: 2,077
And1: 1,607
Joined: Oct 05, 2012

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#20 » by Slackstring701 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 am

Volcano wrote:Rudy plays the same position as our future Wiggins..BC needs to blow up the team and collect as many picks as he can


i dont trust BC to blow up this team

i dont trust him to do anything with this team

worst gm in the league
User avatar
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 38,736
And1: 391
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Location: Standing outside a broken braintrust with money in my hand

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#21 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 am

Inevitable wrote:No we don't need a treadmill move, it's obvious a total rebuild is what's needed.



Until the next win, at which point rebuilding is an academic dream in the face of our imminent respectability.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
User avatar
ballislife
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,365
And1: 1,297
Joined: Apr 27, 2010
     

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#22 » by ballislife » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 am

Trade Jose and DeMar for Rudy and call it a day. DeMar's not going to improve dramatically... he's a midrange jump shot player. Ross is better than him.
Image
User avatar
TheGoodDoctor
Head Coach
Posts: 6,571
And1: 5,039
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Location: Jurassic Park
 

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#23 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:27 am

Volcano wrote:Rudy plays the same position as our future Wiggins..BC needs to blow up the team and collect as many picks as he can



When will some of you get over this fantasy?????


There is no way MLSE nevermind Colangelo commits to a firesale of our players and that is THE only way we're going to be in position to draft Wiggins next year.

The REALITY is they are sticking to this roster and using it to either "grow" together or be used to net better talent to supposed improve the "rebuild".....you and others PLEASE ACCEPT THIS FACT.

I would absolutely love to commit to a real rebuild but that sh*t is just not happening. Let it go. In reality th only way we're going to improve is through trades and we have to hope to target guys that may break out and become "stars" in this league (ie/ Gordon, Tyreke, Gay etc)...of course they're not perfect but if they were they wouldn't even remotely be available to a team like ours.

I hate that it's true but we either go through the next 3-4 years with garbage like DeRozn, Bargnani, Calderon type of players or pray they're traded for the types of names I mentioned because it's again realistically not going to get better than that.
#MLSEHIRETZ ------ HOLD UP, HOLD UP-------#WETHENORTH.
Image
User avatar
FreshyFlames
Junior
Posts: 313
And1: 202
Joined: Feb 29, 2012
       

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#24 » by FreshyFlames » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:33 am

This Wiggins stuff has gotten more annoying than a couple years ago with all the Irving sigs. WE ARE NOT GETTING WIGGINS deal with it.
Image
raptorfan416
Banned User
Posts: 1,899
And1: 170
Joined: Nov 09, 2010

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#25 » by raptorfan416 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:35 am

have you seen rudy gays contract ? his contract would handicap this team for years. not to mention the fact he's not even closing out games for Memphis this season... this is why i've always said raptor fans don't actually know much about some of these players they want to trade for. all they do is watch a few highlight on the youtube, the score, TSN or sportsnet and their willing to give up anything just to have that player here. if you've been following rudy gay this season you'd know he's having an off season and memphis is trying to dump his HUGE! contract. you can't trade for gay without getting rid of andrea's contract. andrea is also suppose to make a million more next season which means he'll be making 11 million... now add that with rudy gays 19 million dollar contract and just call us the knicks when Isaiah was running the team.
User avatar
OAKLEY_2
Head Coach
Posts: 6,731
And1: 1,274
Joined: Dec 19, 2008

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#26 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:42 am

This Wiggins stuff has gotten more annoying than a couple years ago with all the Irving sigs. WE ARE NOT GETTING WIGGINS deal with it.

Maybe not but we aren't turning this thing around by trading for max contracts. I'd rather tank and let the chips fall where they may than reach for players whom we might have drafted but decided that 7 foot 3 point shooters were evolving the game.
User avatar
now and 4 life
Starter
Posts: 2,342
And1: 10
Joined: Jun 16, 2010

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#27 » by now and 4 life » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:43 am

Yes lets not trade for him, and lets not take any risks at all because our current roster is a guaranteed contender in the future.
Image
User avatar
TheGoodDoctor
Head Coach
Posts: 6,571
And1: 5,039
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Location: Jurassic Park
 

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#28 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:44 am

raptorfan416 wrote:have you seen rudy gays contract ? his contract would handicap this team for years. not to mention the fact he's not even closing out games for Memphis this season... this is why i've always said raptor fans don't actually know much about some of these players they want to trade for. all they do is watch a few highlight on the youtube, the score, TSN or sportsnet and their willing to give up anything just to have that player here. if you've been following rudy gay this season you'd know he's having an off season and memphis is trying to dump his HUGE! contract. you can't trade for gay without getting rid of andrea's contract. andrea is also suppose to make a million more next season which means he'll be making 11 million... now add that with rudy gays 19 million dollar contract and just call us the knicks when Isaiah was running the team.


Obviously we have.

The real question is whether we rather have that same money invested in a DeRozan and Calderon instead....my answer is no; I rather have Rudy or a Gordon type of player despite being overpaid; at least they're actually talented.

REALITY:

If that cap is not invested in a borderline all-star Colangelo will squander it on a never will be even close to being one but hey he's-a-nice-guy-with-some-ok-numbers-players instead
#MLSEHIRETZ ------ HOLD UP, HOLD UP-------#WETHENORTH.
Image
raptorfan416
Banned User
Posts: 1,899
And1: 170
Joined: Nov 09, 2010

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#29 » by raptorfan416 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:01 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:
raptorfan416 wrote:have you seen rudy gays contract ? his contract would handicap this team for years. not to mention the fact he's not even closing out games for Memphis this season... this is why i've always said raptor fans don't actually know much about some of these players they want to trade for. all they do is watch a few highlight on the youtube, the score, TSN or sportsnet and their willing to give up anything just to have that player here. if you've been following rudy gay this season you'd know he's having an off season and memphis is trying to dump his HUGE! contract. you can't trade for gay without getting rid of andrea's contract. andrea is also suppose to make a million more next season which means he'll be making 11 million... now add that with rudy gays 19 million dollar contract and just call us the knicks when Isaiah was running the team.


Obviously we have.

The real question is whether we rather have that same money invested in a DeRozan and Calderon instead....my answer is no; I rather have Rudy or a Gordon type of player despite being overpaid; at least they're actually talented.
and do you think gay or gordan actually makes us that much better ? this team has many weakness and making a splash for a player that's having an off season and making 19 mill a year is a ridiculously DUMB MOVE!!.. so what happens if gay continues to play like the way he's playing this season ? YOUR LEFT WITH A 19 MILLION DOLLAR PLAYER THAT NOT PLAYING THAT MUCH BETTER THAN DEMAR. you can not trade for gay without moving Andrea's 11 million dollar contract. that's the kind of trade that can possible put the rest of the dirt on the raptors grave..if gays number stays down then that means your struck with DD 9 million ,Gay 19 million and andrea 11 million YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck getting any value for those players with their contracts.
User avatar
TheGoodDoctor
Head Coach
Posts: 6,571
And1: 5,039
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Location: Jurassic Park
 

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#30 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:12 am

raptorfan416 wrote:and do you think gay or gordan actually makes us that much better ? this team has many weakness and making a splash for a player that's having an off season and making 19 mill a year is a ridiculously DUMB MOVE!!.. so what happens if gay continues to play like the way he's playing this season ? YOUR LEFT WITH A 19 MILLION DOLLAR PLAYER THAT NOT PLAYING THAT MUCH BETTER THAN DEMAR. you can not trade for gay without moving Andrea's 11 million dollar contract. that's the kind of trade that can possible put the rest of the dirt on the raptors grave..if gays number stays down then that means your struck with DD 9 million ,Gay 19 million and andrea 11 million YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck getting any value for those players with their contracts.


Do I think Gay or Gordon makes us better than DeRozan and Calderon?!? lmao

Absolutely...especially Gordon.

1. Don't put DeRozan's contract back into this when I'm proposing DD + Jose for Gay
2. What you don't understand is either our cap is going to be locked up by Colangelo blowing it on players like Calderon and DeMar or we combine them and use them on talent like Gordon or Gay. I have absolutely no doubt a team with Gordon or Gay would be better than this one.

I would much rather hypothetically have Gordon (for DeRozan + Davis) and Gay (Calderon + Ross + Fields) for the next 3-4 years than vice versa.

Lowry
Gordon
Gay
Bargnani (because no one wants him)
Valanciunas

Gets us into the top 6 in the East and could very well make it into the 2nd round...easily imo. Our current roster "growing together" will be lucky to crack 7th place and win one game in the 1st round of a playoff series. So if I pick my poison I take option A while posters like you delude yourselves into thinking our current roster has "potential" and that Colangelo won't blow all our cap on retaining them as he has proven over and over and over (ie/ Amir, Jose, DeMar, Bargnani...). No thanks :lol:
#MLSEHIRETZ ------ HOLD UP, HOLD UP-------#WETHENORTH.
Image
User avatar
OAKLEY_2
Head Coach
Posts: 6,731
And1: 1,274
Joined: Dec 19, 2008

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#31 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:42 am

Gets us into the top 6 in the East and could very well make it into the 2nd round...easily imo. Our current roster "growing together" will be lucky to crack 7th place and win one game in the 1st round of a playoff series. So if I pick my poison I take option A while posters like you delude yourselves into thinking our current roster has "potential" and that Colangelo won't blow all our cap on retaining them as he has proven over and over and over (ie/ Amir, Jose, DeMar, Bargnani...). No thanks

Top 6? Talk about speculating. I think there are a lot of Demar haters who share a trait in common. Anytime a player gets a big raise like Jose, Amir, Demar they move into a category of intense dislike by some posters. No question next year Demar will be overpaid but he is a decent player. The Raptors biggest problem is playing consistently as a unit and not have players taking free licence to jack up ridiculous ill advised perimeter shots. Both Lowry and Demar did that tonight with time running out and failing to execute whatever play Casey had them doing. The fact that we are in close games in an early rebuild phase should serve to temper the desire to see instant success by whatever flavour of the week star acquisition becomes popular. Gay would help the raps and so would a healthy Gordon. But not now when our line-up showcases twin point guards and twin power forwards? A trade for a player like Gay is a year or 2 away no matter who manages the team.
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 27,714
And1: 7,401
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#32 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:46 am

Yes, let's sign another Demar Derozan that will be making $20 million in 2014! That will definitely make us a contender.
Image
User avatar
StatLine
Starter
Posts: 2,048
And1: 885
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#33 » by StatLine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 am

roundhead0 wrote:Casey is so stupid he probably wouldn't even put Lebron on the **** floor to close a godamned game


Hyperbole
Ackshun
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,341
And1: 481
Joined: Jul 24, 2006

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#34 » by Ackshun » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:15 am

Left Side Drive wrote:It's not that he won't make the team better because he will. The issue which has been brought up time and time again is that HE IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.


Who cares anymore. Bring the talent
User avatar
Death Knight
RealGM
Posts: 15,049
And1: 1,923
Joined: Jun 27, 2006

Re: Who Doesn't Want Rudy Gay to Close Games Now? 

Post#35 » by Death Knight » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 am

Both Gay and DeMar are overpaid. Gay should be making what DeMar signed for his extension and DeMar should be making rotational player money at $4-5mil tops...............absolute tops! I'd give him less, but he loves Toronto right?

Return to Toronto Raptors