ImageImageImageImageImage

What is wrong with Derozan?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Re: What is wrong with Derozan? 

Post#21 » by Darkseid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm

HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS

(a moderately above average player at best)
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#22 » by team edward » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:47 pm

He is two inches too short.
theskydrops
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#23 » by theskydrops » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 pm

The lack of spacing has hurt him to be sure. But all the spacing in the world won't help him to become a good NBA player. He needs to fix his internal defeciencies. If I was him I would start with spot up shooting. Players running at him with a hand up should get burned on the dribble. Even with Demars lackluster speed.
garbagnani
Starter
And1: 194

Post#24 » by garbagnani » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

derozan sucks. cant shoot 3's. cant finish through contact. He basically shucks long twos (usually with a hand in his face) or tries to draw fouls while driving (never finishing). he sucks.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#25 » by StopitLeo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Confidence down. Reads RealGM.
pop-vlado
Bench Warmer
And1: 266

Post#26 » by pop-vlado » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:54 pm

I agree that the paint is too crowded for him right now. He doesn't have the ball handling to drive the ball to the bucket at this stage. If we get a 3 that can shoot from deep, things might open up for him.

He's still playing like a girl though. Constantly being stripped and turning the ball over. No excuse for that.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#27 » by pkiskool » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm

garbagnani wrote:derozan sucks. cant shoot 3's. cant finish through contact. He basically shucks long twos (usually with a hand in his face) or tries to draw fouls while driving (never finishing). he sucks.

^This.
Add in the ridiculous contract extension he got, we are doomed.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#28 » by SDM » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Because teams figured out that they should deny him drives because he can't shoot. Get used to four more years of it.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#29 » by pkiskool » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Bugles my mind that these multimillionaire athletes can't figure out how to shoot 3's or free throws when that is all they do through out the day and night for 365 days a year.
Occasional casual baller like myself can get pretty consistent with threes and free throws after shooting them repetitively for a few hours... OK I don't have 6'8" defenders on me but I'm not 6'6" and don't have a 35" vert either...
It's all about muscle memories and little bit of sense of where/how to release the ball - then you just shoot and shoot nonstop to get used to it.
I'm sorry but it's really not that hard!
Out of all basketball skills (shooting, blocking, defense, rebounding etc), shooting is the easiest and it's probably the only attribute you can actually improve rapidly.

Watching Derozan bricking threes or missing key free throws just drives me absolutely nuts...
You earn fat checks every two weeks or whatever and don't have to worry about ANYTHING except basketball!!!
You should be good at this!!! smh..
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#30 » by Throwback24 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm

It's a talent issue.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#31 » by Death Knight » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:00 pm

We need to space the floor out for DeMar???? He's the freakin SG! HEEEEEEE should be the one spacing the floor out for our bigs to attack inside, and a player like Lowry to penetrate. I don't even know what his role on this team is. Just another average guard on the court.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#32 » by Mack11 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Death Knight wrote:We need to space the floor out for DeMar???? He's the freakin SG! HEEEEEEE should be the one spacing the floor out for our bigs to attack inside, and a player like Lowry to penetrate. I don't even know what his role on this team is. Just another average guard on the court.

you gotta admit, everyone needs a little spacing
maxpower88
Senior
And1: 174

Post#33 » by maxpower88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:15 pm

He's lacking confidence right now. You can tell in his body language.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#34 » by Indeed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Everyone is taking jump shots, so it is not DeRozan alone, but he is probably the worst with opposing team target at him. Calderon and Anderson are also chucking, but they are better shooters. Lowry has more at rim attempts, but he needs to dribble back a couple of time, and he makes some long long 3s to get his defender attentions.

The question is, if this is spacing, who we should play at PF or C? I think Jonas (and perhaps Amir) can stretch the floor next year if not this year, but can we sustain our offense with these jump shooting strategy?
chimpston17
Sixth Man
And1: 644

Post#35 » by chimpston17 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Even when a good player is struggling or lacking confidence they should be finding other ways to contribute like on the glass or anything but he just looks lackadaisical out there it's pretty disappointing given the positive strides he was making earlier this year. Just doesn't have that killer instinct at all
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#36 » by LLJ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I think DeRozan has a concussion. He hit his head on a glass ceiling a few games ago.
vexen
Veteran
And1: 886

Post#37 » by vexen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 pm

IMHO Alan Anderson is a much better player, it's not even close. His head fakes are honestly some of the best in the league, he even killed kobe a few times off the drive, you almost never see that. He's a true triple threat and plays pretty good D and to top it off his contract is a total steal. I think one of the problems is everyone is seeing what AA can do then compares that to what DD is doing.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,963

Post#38 » by MEDIC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:Looks like he's trying not to press the issue and is playing a more passive game as a result. He was getting hacked like crazy, turning the ball over, and forcing his offense. I think he's trying to let the game come to him but it's not really working for him.

Agree with this. Looks like he reverted back to the Derozan from 3 seasons ago. Just floating out there.

He got off to that great start, then defenses really started focusing on him. Since then his confidence looks a little shot & he's been sitting back & watching others make plays.

His handles looked improved early in the season. Now he doesn't even attempt to get in the lane.

Derozan is a guy that needs a lot of screens to get to the hoop (& open shots) & very good players around him that take some of the pressure off. Right now he has neither.

Post ups & curls off screens. That should be his bread and butter. Right now he's not really doing any of that.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,963

Post#39 » by MEDIC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

vexen wrote:IMHO Alan Anderson is a much better player, it's not even close. His head fakes are honestly some of the best in the league, he even killed kobe a few times off the drive, you almost never see that. He's a true triple threat and plays pretty good D and to top it off his contract is a total steal.

Agree with this. That's why I don't mind the idea of packaging Derozan with Jose (& possibly Ed) to get something good in return.

Give Alan Anderson the starting gig until Ross is ready.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
StatsMan99
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#40 » by StatsMan99 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Mack11 wrote:I believe the not trying to force the issue cause hes struggling. We're talkin about a dude that refuses to shoot the ball at the end of q's so he doesnt hurt his FG %

And yet he's still shooting just .448 eFG% on the season, which is borderline-terrible.

Return to Toronto Raptors