yardbarker

Toronto Raptors Free Agent Rights Retained

Name Height Weight FA Status Nationality
Mickael Pietrus 6-6 215 (U) Non-Bird France
Sebastian Telfair 6-0 170 (U) Early Bird United States

See all Toronto Raptors free agent rights retained players

What is wrong with Derozan?

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, tsherkin, Undefeated, DG88, Rhettmatic, FluLikeSymptoms, itbobby007, Alfred, Morris_Shatford

Post#76 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm by fatal9

Nothing is wrong with him, he's the same useless scrub he has always been. When even your "good" games can at best be described as mediocre, you're a pretty terrible player. There's a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread with people acting like he was playing on some high level for most of the year...just stop, stop it. And also stop making excuses and blaming coaches/other players/system, his skill-set is garbage, his athleticism is overrated and his bball IQ is lacking. He has improved and polished his skills a bit more, but the "polished turd is still a turd" concept applies here. As a fan of the game, watching this dude makes my eyes bleed.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be harsh for no reason, this is just one of the most useless big minute players I've ever seen (even on bad teams), and it's frustrating some people still can't see what a hollow game he really has. This is just a lucky scrub who had enough flash in his game to sell people on his "potential", who gets big minutes and enough plays designed for him in the offense because he plays under an absolute moron of a GM who gets too attached to his draft picks.
fatal9
Bench Warmer
And1: 320

Post#77 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm by Dr Positivity

fatal9 wrote:Nothing is wrong with him, he's the same useless scrub he has always been. When even your "good" games can at best be described as mediocre, you're a pretty terrible player. There's a lot of revisionist history going on in this thread with people acting like he was playing on some high level for most of the year...just stop, stop it. And also stop making excuses and blaming coaches/other players/system, his skill-set is garbage, his athleticism is overrated and his bball IQ is lacking. He has improved and polished his skills a bit more, but the "polished turd is still a turd" concept applies here. As a fan of the game, watching this dude makes my eyes bleed.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be harsh for no reason, this is just one of the most useless big minute players I've ever seen (even on bad teams), and it's frustrating some people still can't see what a hollow game he really has. This is just a lucky scrub who had enough flash in his game to sell people on his "potential", who gets big minutes and enough plays designed for him in the offense because he plays under an absolute moron of a GM who gets too attached to his draft picks.

I feel like it hasn't sunk in for people yet that this guy isn't a starting caliber SG whatsoever. They're acting like he's underwhelming because he's an average starting 2. No, he'd be average for BACKUP 2s. Remove the hype and he's a guy who should be getting 15-20 minutes and putting up a fairly useless .51 TS% 9 points per game.
When grading, I aspire to the objective validity of Olympic judging. If you can reliably, consistently grade a diver or figure skater you can a basketball player's talent.
Dr Positivity

RealGM
And1: 883

Post#78 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm by JunkYardSubs

Yeah hes a bench scorer who only got paid because he was given the green light on our awful team
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 123

Post#79 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 am by SkywalkerAC

Again, he usually comes on strong in the 2nd half. Really hope he does.
SkywalkerAC
General Manager
And1: 714

Post#80 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am by OhMyBosh

Article about the DeMar's slump.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2013/01/22/demar_derozan_toronto_raptors_mcneill/
Where things start to get scary is when you realize that nearly 75 per cent of DeRozan's field goal attempts are jump shots but he is only making 38 per cent of those (169-440). So, in essence, he's a shooting guard that has struggled to shoot this season.

The other thing that is worrisome is that DeRozan is able to start games strong in the first quarter (he shoots 49.5 per cent from the field) but in the fourth quarter he cools down considerably (31 per cent) once opposing defenses figure out that his jumper is shaky so they decided to take away his ability to penetrate or dunk.

Also, along those lines, he only shoots 35 per cent from the field in the final three minutes of a quarter. So, in essence, when it comes close to resembling clutch time DeRozan shrinks in a big way.

DeMar is simply not a good basketball player. We need to stop sacrificing our future to let clowns like DeMar and Bargnani get consistent minutes when both players have shown zero improvement in the last 2 years despite heavy minutes.

Thankfully to an injury to Bargnani, we can finally see Ed Davis play and actually show significant signs of development. I think it's time to give Ross the benefit of consistent minutes without consequence. At least there's still a question mark as to whether or not he'll be a good player. The question mark for DeMar has long been gone. He is the same player that stepped on the court after his rookie season.
OhMyBosh
Assistant Coach
And1: 302

Post#81 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am by grumpwalter

What's wrong with him? Nothing, we were overrating him, like we do with many other players.
grumpwalter

Starter
And1: 358

Post#82 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 am by Raptorfan2012

I think Demar just doesn't have that next-level talent. I do not doubt his heart and work ethic, but sometimes people just aren't designed to be elite. Average borderline starter SG, but no star potential here.
Raptorfan2012
Bench Warmer
And1: 116

Post#83 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am by The_Hater

Now that teams are gearing to stop DD a little bit, his offensive limations have become very apparent. He can't space the floor with range or find his teammates when double teamed. Considering that he's a good but not an elite scorer to begin with, that makes him very easy to stop defensively.

Anyways, he wasn't that good to begin with. Just add him to the list of overpaid, one dimensional 6th men that BC seems to covet.
I don't want to say we're dysfunctional. But we need to be more functional.
The_Hater
RealGM
And1: 1,217

Post#84 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:34 am by truthrising

I still don't understand why Derozan is spoiled playing 37+ mins, this guy has been spoiled given mins without proving anything since he started his rookie year. We honestly need to trade away these one dimensional players.
truthrising

Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#85 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm by Neutral 123

truthrising wrote:I still don't understand why Derozan is spoiled playing 37+ mins, this guy has been spoiled given mins without proving anything since he started his rookie year. We honestly need to trade away these one dimensional players.

This is on BC. Demar isn't spoiled, he's just not good enough to be 'the guy', but is forced into that role because there just is no talent on the team. It's almost a shame, I wonder what he could have developed into, in terms of being a quality role player, if he wasn't forced to try to be like Kobe for almost his entire career.
To them, it's like everyone wants the money they are never going to make. amluvinit2 on the tea party..
Neutral 123
General Manager
And1: 511

Post#86 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm by Indeed

truthrising wrote:I still don't understand why Derozan is spoiled playing 37+ mins, this guy has been spoiled given mins without proving anything since he started his rookie year. We honestly need to trade away these one dimensional players.

He is still one of our best weapon outside of Bargnani and Lowry/Calderon. Unless you think Fields or Pietrus should take his minutes.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 142

Post#87 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 pm by wolfv

You really don't understand? You know who our gm is, right? He has been very loyal to his guys and it's come to bite him in the @ss

If DD is going to continue to start than it can't be with another guy who also can't shoot in Fields. IT's too bad Pietrus has been such a dud with his shot.
wolfv

Sixth Man
And1: 526

Post#88 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:00 pm by truthrising

Were likely not going to the playoffs, so I see no reason to give Derozan heavy mins when we already know what type of player he is, and to say he's one of main offensive weapon apart from Lowry and Bargnani..is pure BS. We have other players that are a lot more efficient and can provide the same amount of offense and also be sufficient onthe defensive in Anderson and Davis.

All i'm saying given that this should be a developmental year is that we should at least give more mins to Ross to grow his game.
truthrising

Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#89 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 pm by Scase

Indeed wrote:

He is still one of our best weapon outside of Bargnani and Lowry/Calderon. Unless you think Fields or Pietrus should take his minutes.

Yeah not like we have another SG on a rookie contract that is a good defender and can actually hit shots as well as get to the rim. Not like he could use developmental minutes or anything.
Props TZ!
(1 of 10)
Scase

Assistant Coach
And1: 1,079

Post#90 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 pm by Pass it

How did Demar's athleticism decline so quickly? Was it the extra 10 pounds? If so he'll never become an SF as some pple were trying to point out. Ross is already starting to outshine him and if he doesn't go back to his niche of driving, posting up I don't see how much longer he can stay as a starter.

It's like Demar's athleticism has diminished at double the rate of Vince's decline. Dude's only 23 and is already losing his lift.

1st Round Pick - Capela/Hairston - Sac 2nd Rounder: Hammons/J. Stokes
Pass it
Senior
And1: 89

Post#91 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:44 pm by Big Shot

After a serious thought, I've come up with a better question:

What is wrong with Colangelo? :D With his credential (at least on paper before he came to Toronto), you would think he could have done a much better job than what he has done so far for this franchise.

For every wrong move he did in the past, we could still find a reason and make some sense out of it. But not for this early DD's extension. Everyone knows he could have waited till this summer and got to see clearly what he has in DD instead of rushing into an early decision.
Big Shot
Starter
And1: 57

Post#92 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 pm by Indeed

truthrising wrote:Were likely not going to the playoffs, so I see no reason to give Derozan heavy mins when we already know what type of player he is, and to say he's one of main offensive weapon apart from Lowry and Bargnani..is pure BS. We have other players that are a lot more efficient and can provide the same amount of offense and also be sufficient onthe defensive in Anderson and Davis.

All i'm saying given that this should be a developmental year is that we should at least give more mins to Ross to grow his game.

DeRozan is still a far better offensive player than Davis, while he goes to the line more often than Anderson. Meanwhile, Ross is not ready for big minutes, and he probably needs another year of experience.

Again, I am not objecting to trade Bargnani and DeRozan, but there is no point of trading them for nothing. And if we can find upgrade who makes the team better even with Bargnani and DeRozan, I wouldn't object to observe longer. There is not many options for us, and our goal is to make the team better, not blindly put our faith in unproven ones, because they share the same problem. Eg. trading a pick for DeRozan? It doesn't mean the pick ends up better than DeRozan.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 142

Post#93 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm by roundhead0

With Calderon starting you're going to either get looks to the bigs in PnR or else to players on the perimeter for outside jumpers. This doesn't suit Demar so well. Add in AA taking so many shots and it's not hard to see why Derozan's usage and scoring has dropped.

I also see opponents packing the interior a bit more against him. Raps don't always create good spacing.

Lowry and Derozan IMO were set up to work more with Bargnani pulling a big out to the perimeter.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 477

Post#94 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:50 pm by Danchan

Most of the people finally see the light. My work here is done. U dont hold on to garbage for the sake of not having an empty hand. U get rid of it ASAP so u have a free hand and an active mindset to grab something else.

Trade him for pick expiring whatever.
-sig by triplemke23
Danchan
Lead Assistant
And1: 889

Post#95 Re: What is wrong with Derozan?
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm by Hero

Danchan wrote:Most of the people finally see the light. My work here is done. U dont hold on to garbage for the sake of not having an empty hand. U get rid of it ASAP so u have a free hand and an active mindset to grab something else.

Trade him for pick expiring whatever.

Who is going to trade for him when he's making 10 mil a year.
BloodyNose wrote:
TWO4Life wrote:His shots aren't falling but you can't say Patman isn't working hard.

a monkey can work hard, i want results
Hero

RealGM
And1: 4,847

PreviousNext

Return to Toronto Raptors