ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Insider: Top 25 Players Under Age 25 (Ed Davis 24th)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

provecy15
Senior
And1: 190

Re: ESPN Insider: Top 25 Players Under Age 25 (Ed Davis 24th 

Post#21 » by provecy15 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Why isn't Derozan on the list? lol I feel he should be there.
TheFreshPrince
Banned User
And1: 320

Post#22 » by TheFreshPrince » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:03 pm

provecy15 wrote:Why isn't Derozan on the list? lol I feel he should be there.

Because this ignorant franchise insists on making role players into main options. If DeMar was left in a 4th-5th option role we would be much more successful. And that's not a shot at DeMar, I think he's a good player. That's a shot at the stupid upper management. If Ed was put in DeMar's role he'd faulter as well. If only we took the time to scout draft prospects properly, or recruit quality free agents....
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,690

Post#23 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Interesting that Derozan isn't on the list. Not to put so much important on some stupid list, but kind of shows you his value may not be all that high.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#24 » by dTox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Interesting that Derozan isn't on the list. Not to put so much important on some stupid list, but kind of shows you his value may not be all that high.

This can be said about pretty much all of our players not named Ed Davis or Jonas, our GM tends to outbid himself on these players thinking they're "hot" on the market. Its extremely frustrating that Demar wouldn't agree on an extension initially (this isn't the frustrating part) so our GM flinches first and throws a whole lot of money at him in the last hour of "extension eligibility" to make sure that he locked in another mediocre player on a bloated contract; to add to our pile of other mediorcre players on bloated long term contracts. Had he waited out the season, we probably could've saved more had we chosen to move forward with Demar due to his inefficient play yet again, which given Ross' potential and 2 way ability would've made the situation highly unlikely.

I can see Demar-Ross situation being similar to the Andrea-Ed fiasco where we had an over paid starter at a position where we already have another player with higher potential (Ed and now Ross) and on a cheaper contract but the team chooses to start the higher paid veteran to not make its contract look foolish.
TBZ for the win
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#25 » by Scase » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Easy E is in some pretty good company...damn. Which can mean only one thing.....he's getting traded!
Props TZ!
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,527

Post#26 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Double Helix wrote:I find it quite hilarious that Kenneth Faried is being listed at 11 and Ed Davis at 24 when they're the same age, have almost exactly the same PER, and production across 36 minutes, and Ed has more tools (longer, shoots his FTs better, and gets up higher in the air both offensively and defensively) to grow.

http://bkref.com/tiny/WvuGq

I realize that Faried has put up a higher average because he's played more but considering they're the same age... a 13 rank difference seems a bit much, especially when you consider that Ed's averaging basically his per 36 stats through the month of January.

K Fed is better than Ed Davis on both sides of the ball imho. So really this might be the purest case of where per is overstated because K Fed is just simply better than Ed Davis. I don't think Kfed should be 11th on that list tho, still too high...

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#27 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Interesting that Derozan isn't on the list. Not to put so much important on some stupid list, but kind of shows you his value may not be all that high.

Not only is his value not high, but in all likelihood, it's shockingly low. Like one of the 5 least moveable/worst contracts in the league, low. I bet when the T&T board does the "worst contracts" ranking that they always do after the most valuable assets that they are in the middle of now, Derozan makes the top 5 or 6. A 4 year, 9.5 mil/season deal for a < 14 PER player after this season, is an absolute atrocity of a contract, probably worse than Jeff Green's deal, they are similar caliber players but Derozan's contract runs a year longer. I plan on voting Demar 3rd after Amare and Tyrus Thomas
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#28 » by JustaKnickFan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Yeah, Derozan definitely has one of the worst contracts in the league.

Also, nice to see Ed getting the recognition he deserves. The thing is, almost every team has a player very good under 25 because either the NBA team has been bad for some time and got at least one good prospect out of it (Cavs with Irving), or the team has been solid or good because of that prospect (Pacers with George). If Ed can continue to develop that jumpshot and FT shot of his, he can become a very skilled starting PF.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#29 » by sanity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Aw no DeRozan?

Shocking. Bryan gave a slightly better Anthony Morrow a 40m contract
dTox
RealGM

Post#30 » by dTox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

Not only is his value not high, but in all likelihood, it's shockingly low. Like one of the 5 least moveable/worst contracts in the league, low. I bet when the T&T board does the "worst contracts" ranking that they always do after the most valuable assets that they are in the middle of now, Derozan makes the top 5 or 6. A 4 year, 9.5 mil/season deal for a < 14 PER player after this season, is an absolute atrocity of a contract, probably worse than Jeff Green's deal, they are similar caliber players but Derozan's contract runs a year longer. I plan on voting Demar 3rd after Amare and Tyrus Thomas

I think that's pushing it, just to think of a few names that are on worse contracts:

-Gerald Wallace
-Kris Humphries
-Bargnani
-Charlie V
-Ben Gordon
-Okafor
-Perkins
-Hedo

but yet Demar is in a bad contract in my opinion, just not so bad that he's immovable. But the longer we wait, the shorter his "potential" window closes and his contract becomes that much worse, I think this summer will be the best time to get rid of him otherwise he'll fall in line with the names mentioned above
TBZ for the win
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#31 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

OKC had a monopoly on under 25 talent and that's not including the potential of PJIII and Lamb. That may be the true dynasty.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#32 » by pkiskool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Where's DD?
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#33 » by pkiskool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

sanity wrote:Aw no DeRozan?

Shocking. Bryan gave a slightly better Anthony Morrow a 40m contract

Morrow can shoot 3's.
DD can't.
advaita
Banned User
And1: 152

Post#34 » by advaita » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:09 pm

lol at ibaka before curry
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#35 » by Chaos Engine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

John Wall not on the list is crazy. DD not on the list is completely justified. They are right about Ed's feel for the game. You can see he just knows where to be and when to be there. Demar has a terrible feel for the game, which is becoming more and more apparent.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#36 » by kmatrixg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Eric Bledsoe is way too low on this list. Mark my words, he'll be an all-star within 4 years. The kid is phenomenal.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,626

Post#37 » by arbsn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Ed Davis is seriously overrated on this list.

He is a talented player but lets get real - he is not better than:
Eric Bledsoe
John Wall
Eric Gordon
Andre Drummond
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Jonas Valanciunas
Kawhi Leonard
Ricky Rubio
etc...

The list is missing tons of marquee players under 25

Anyways, the real reason Ed Davis is not that good is his lack of 1 on 1 defense (he is a decent help defender). He's a terrible post defender. Ironically, this is the only type of D Andrea Bargnani is good at. It's pretty hilarious that him and Andrea Bargnani are exactly opposite in so many ways (rebounding, shooting, athleticism, defense) they seem like polar opposites.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#38 » by Pchu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Davis still has room to improve. He needs to learn how to use his off-hand, goes left every time. Needs to get stronger still, his post defense (as per Pelton) is pretty horrendous.
dTox
RealGM

Post#39 » by dTox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 pm

arbsn wrote:Ed Davis is seriously overrated on this list.

He is a talented player but lets get real - he is not better than:
Eric Bledsoe
John Wall
Eric Gordon
Andre Drummond
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Jonas Valanciunas
Kawhi Leonard
Ricky Rubio
etc...

The list is missing tons of marquee players under 25

Anyways, the real reason Ed Davis is not that good is his lack of 1 on 1 defense (he is a decent help defender). He's a terrible post defender. Ironically, this is the only type of D Andrea Bargnani is good at. It's pretty hilarious that him and Andrea Bargnani are exactly opposite in so many ways (rebounding, shooting, athleticism, defense) they seem like polar opposites.

The said players have higher potential, but right now Ed is the better player (except for Gordon and Wall)
TBZ for the win
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#40 » by COY0607 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

dTox wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

I think that's pushing it, just to think of a few names that are on worse contracts:

-Gerald Wallace
-Kris Humphries
-Bargnani
-Charlie V
-Ben Gordon
-Okafor
-Perkins
-Hedo

but yet Demar is in a bad contract in my opinion, just not so bad that he's immovable. But the longer we wait, the shorter his "potential" window closes and his contract becomes that much worse, I think this summer will be the best time to get rid of him otherwise he'll fall in line with the names mentioned above

charlie v, ben gordon, okafor, hedo all expire after next season... they'll be expirings this offseason... you realize derozan has 4 years left after this year right, which makes his contract situation significantly worse.. and humpries is not a bad contract, hes a double double machine when he plays minutes and is coming off a 14/11 season

Return to Toronto Raptors