ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Insider: Top 25 Players Under Age 25 (Ed Davis 24th)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Re: ESPN Insider: Top 25 Players Under Age 25 (Ed Davis 24th 

Post#31 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

OKC had a monopoly on under 25 talent and that's not including the potential of PJIII and Lamb. That may be the true dynasty.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#32 » by pkiskool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Where's DD?
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#33 » by pkiskool » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:02 pm

sanity wrote:Aw no DeRozan?

Shocking. Bryan gave a slightly better Anthony Morrow a 40m contract

Morrow can shoot 3's.
DD can't.
advaita
Banned User
And1: 152

Post#34 » by advaita » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:09 pm

lol at ibaka before curry
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#35 » by Chaos Engine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:11 pm

John Wall not on the list is crazy. DD not on the list is completely justified. They are right about Ed's feel for the game. You can see he just knows where to be and when to be there. Demar has a terrible feel for the game, which is becoming more and more apparent.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#36 » by kmatrixg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Eric Bledsoe is way too low on this list. Mark my words, he'll be an all-star within 4 years. The kid is phenomenal.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#37 » by arbsn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Ed Davis is seriously overrated on this list.

He is a talented player but lets get real - he is not better than:
Eric Bledsoe
John Wall
Eric Gordon
Andre Drummond
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Jonas Valanciunas
Kawhi Leonard
Ricky Rubio
etc...

The list is missing tons of marquee players under 25

Anyways, the real reason Ed Davis is not that good is his lack of 1 on 1 defense (he is a decent help defender). He's a terrible post defender. Ironically, this is the only type of D Andrea Bargnani is good at. It's pretty hilarious that him and Andrea Bargnani are exactly opposite in so many ways (rebounding, shooting, athleticism, defense) they seem like polar opposites.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#38 » by Pchu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Davis still has room to improve. He needs to learn how to use his off-hand, goes left every time. Needs to get stronger still, his post defense (as per Pelton) is pretty horrendous.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,558

Post#39 » by dTox » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:37 pm

arbsn wrote:Ed Davis is seriously overrated on this list.

He is a talented player but lets get real - he is not better than:
Eric Bledsoe
John Wall
Eric Gordon
Andre Drummond
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Jonas Valanciunas
Kawhi Leonard
Ricky Rubio
etc...

The list is missing tons of marquee players under 25

Anyways, the real reason Ed Davis is not that good is his lack of 1 on 1 defense (he is a decent help defender). He's a terrible post defender. Ironically, this is the only type of D Andrea Bargnani is good at. It's pretty hilarious that him and Andrea Bargnani are exactly opposite in so many ways (rebounding, shooting, athleticism, defense) they seem like polar opposites.

The said players have higher potential, but right now Ed is the better player (except for Gordon and Wall)
TBZ for the win
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#40 » by COY0607 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

dTox wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Interesting that Derozan isn't on the list. Not to put so much important on some stupid list, but kind of shows you his value may not be all that high.

Not only is his value not high, but in all likelihood, it's shockingly low. Like one of the 5 least moveable/worst contracts in the league, low. I bet when the T&T board does the "worst contracts" ranking that they always do after the most valuable assets that they are in the middle of now, Derozan makes the top 5 or 6. A 4 year, 9.5 mil/season deal for a < 14 PER player after this season, is an absolute atrocity of a contract, probably worse than Jeff Green's deal, they are similar caliber players but Derozan's contract runs a year longer. I plan on voting Demar 3rd after Amare and Tyrus Thomas

I think that's pushing it, just to think of a few names that are on worse contracts:

-Gerald Wallace
-Kris Humphries
-Bargnani
-Charlie V
-Ben Gordon
-Okafor
-Perkins
-Hedo

but yet Demar is in a bad contract in my opinion, just not so bad that he's immovable. But the longer we wait, the shorter his "potential" window closes and his contract becomes that much worse, I think this summer will be the best time to get rid of him otherwise he'll fall in line with the names mentioned above

charlie v, ben gordon, okafor, hedo all expire after next season... they'll be expirings this offseason... you realize derozan has 4 years left after this year right, which makes his contract situation significantly worse.. and humpries is not a bad contract, hes a double double machine when he plays minutes and is coming off a 14/11 season
kmatrixg
Veteran
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#41 » by kmatrixg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 pm

COY0607 wrote:
dTox wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Not only is his value not high, but in all likelihood, it's shockingly low. Like one of the 5 least moveable/worst contracts in the league, low. I bet when the T&T board does the "worst contracts" ranking that they always do after the most valuable assets that they are in the middle of now, Derozan makes the top 5 or 6. A 4 year, 9.5 mil/season deal for a < 14 PER player after this season, is an absolute atrocity of a contract, probably worse than Jeff Green's deal, they are similar caliber players but Derozan's contract runs a year longer. I plan on voting Demar 3rd after Amare and Tyrus Thomas

I think that's pushing it, just to think of a few names that are on worse contracts:

-Gerald Wallace
-Kris Humphries
-Bargnani
-Charlie V
-Ben Gordon
-Okafor
-Perkins
-Hedo

but yet Demar is in a bad contract in my opinion, just not so bad that he's immovable. But the longer we wait, the shorter his "potential" window closes and his contract becomes that much worse, I think this summer will be the best time to get rid of him otherwise he'll fall in line with the names mentioned above

charlie v, ben gordon, okafor, hedo all expire after next season... they'll be expirings this offseason... you realize derozan has 4 years left after this year right, which makes his contract situation significantly worse.. and humpries is not a bad contract, hes a double double machine when he plays minutes and is coming off a 14/11 season

I think he was more referring to the life of the contract
MadMax10
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#42 » by MadMax10 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

George is top ten .
Prodigy416
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#43 » by Prodigy416 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm

pkiskool wrote:Where's DD?

Watching film
kmatrixg
Veteran

Post#44 » by kmatrixg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Take this list with a huge grain of salt. Last years list included guys such as:

11. Ty Lawson
12. DeJuan Blair
15. Danilo Gallinari
19. JaVale McGee

Some of their comparisons are jokes too (although I generally enjoy David Thorpe), comparing Nic Batum to Bruce Bowen, Brandon Jennings to Allen Iverson and Ricky Rubio to Pistol Pete Maravich.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#45 » by Homer Jay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Interesting that Derozan isn't on the list. Not to put so much important on some stupid list, but kind of shows you his value may not be all that high.

Check out Perkins, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay. They qualify as worse than Demar by a long shot.

Perkins makes 9 mil a year while putting up an 8.1 PER
JJ makes an average 22.5 mil a year for while putting up an 14.8 PER
Rudy gay makes an average 18.5 mil a year to put up a 14.6 PER
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#46 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 pm

What i'm just taking in is, OKC traded Harden instead of trading Perkins because of.... Howard and the lakers ?? Who prolly won't make the playoffs now??? We are going to look back on that deal in a few yrs and be like, they traded Harden for J.lamb and that's inexcusable if you ask me. Kmart better resign with them.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#47 » by Danchan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Check out Perkins, Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay. They qualify as worse than Demar by a long shot.

And yet none of those team would even consider a packaged deal involving derozan for one of those players. Face it the DD market has already tanked. He has the useless tag as well as "no potential" tag at this point.
Remember Kobe used to be so friendly with DD?
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#48 » by roundhead0 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:45 pm

DeRozan is probably overpaid, but realistically he should probably get a $7M or so deal. He's a legit NBA starter so despite being overpaid his contract is not crippling.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#49 » by Vorticity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm

in what universe is Griffin better than Rose?
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#50 » by arbsn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Danchan wrote:

And yet none of those team would even consider a packaged deal involving derozan for one of those players. Face it the DD market has already tanked. He has the useless tag as well as "no potential" tag at this point.
Remember Kobe used to be so friendly with DD?

I'd say what hurts DD the most is his inconsistency.

He's not a plus defender by any means so the fact he is an inconsistent rebounder, passer and scorer basically renders him a question mark on offense.

Minus defender question mark offense? No thanks.

What gives DD so much value is that there's really only 3-4 SGs that are established 2 way players (Kobe, Wade, Manu, Joe Johnson), another 2-3 who are elite offensively (Harden, Monta, Kevin Martin), another 2-3 who are elite defensively (Tony Allen, Sefalosha, Avery Bradley) and then the 'question marks' due to injury or inconsistency (Gordon, Tyreke, Ray Allen, Iguodala, Afflalo)

That's a total of 15 SGs who have real value.

That means DeMar can easily be a starter for a playoff team.

Return to Toronto Raptors