ImageImageImageImageImage

If you could go back in time...how to handle Bargs?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vexen
Veteran
And1: 886

Re: If you could go back in time...how to handle Bargs? 

Post#21 » by vexen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am

It doesn't mater because he doesn't care. If he did he would already be a All-star. This is why I hate him so much.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#22 » by cdel00 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am

Play him at SF
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#23 » by zilby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 am

I probably would've traded him after his "breakout" in 2009 when he started playing better under Triano and with Marion covering the rebounding. Thus, we would get solid value for him then, and never having extended him to that stupid deal, and this nightmare wouldn't exist.

This almost feels like the timeline episode of Community where they visit six different scenarios :lol:
Hawaiian pizza is good.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,596

Post#24 » by C_Money » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 am

Sam Mitchell was the perfect coach for him. It was Jay Triano that let him do whatever he wanted which has now made him one of the laziest players of all time. Dwane Casey is basically running things the exact same way Triano did.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,433

Post#25 » by Morse Code » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am

I think I would have drafted Aldridge and traded him. Not saying that's the best move but that's probably what I would have thought to be the best option at the time.

If it's a redo we're talking about then I would've drafted Rudy Gay, like many others.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,433

Post#26 » by Morse Code » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:14 am

C_Money wrote:Sam Mitchell was the perfect coach for him. It was Jay Triano that let him do whatever he wanted which has now made him one of the laziest players of all time. Dwane Casey is basically running things the exact same way Triano did.

true, except Casey's rotations and minute distribution are much poorer than Smitch's, and I think Smitch's were below average also.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#27 » by Neutral 123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 am

vexen wrote:It doesn't mater because he doesn't care. If he did he would already be a All-star. This is why I hate him so much.

This. I mean some of the ideas don't even make sense. His main talent was that he is a 7 footer who could shoot from the perimeter. That is what he has done. Trying to force him to become Shaq wouldn't help him. Defensively he would never be quick enough to defend the 3. So whether you call him a 4 or a 5 he'd have to be an interior defender. He's failed miserably. the biggest mistake in his development, was building the team like he was a guy to build around. Bargnani is a bum. That's how it was.... that's how it is.... that's how it will be...
3thomas
Sixth Man
And1: 214

Post#28 » by 3thomas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:17 am

Would have never drafted his sorry a$$
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#29 » by ballislife » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 am

LeMarcus Aldridge. I always thought we should've drafted him... I got so excited when we won the lottery, I thought he was a clear choice.

Imagine this team with him.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#30 » by dballislife » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am

the organization has been way too soft on a soft person, i dont think the way to treat a softy is to be soft, u gotta be hard and demanding, sometimes people just need a slap in the face
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#31 » by sanity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 am

C_Money wrote:Sam Mitchell was the perfect coach for him. It was Jay Triano that let him do whatever he wanted which has now made him one of the laziest players of all time. Dwane Casey is basically running things the exact same way Triano did.

I feel the exact same way towards this.

Smitch normally gave Andrea the hook after consecutive brain-farts... something that both Casey and Triano absolutely avoided. Granted, Andrea has taken a larger role for this team since to the point where he is expected to lead,but its obvious that there is little consequence to him just playing badly.

Hell, I remember Smitch chewing out Bosh at times and the guy responded with better play. Andrea really suffers from being unmotivated, whether its himself or from the coaching staff.

Smitch might be considered a bad x/o's guy, but he did recognize when his team played like **** and knew how to motivate them.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#32 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 am

Indeed wrote:Play one year each for his national team instead of every year.

I dont understand? What do you you mean by playing one year each? And he didn't played for his country every year, he barely played for his country at all.

He skipped 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2012.
Played in 2009 extra Eurobasket qualification, failed to make it, played in 2010 Qualification and 2011 Eurobasket.
Salted Meat
Starter
And1: 1,572

Post#33 » by Salted Meat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 am

I certainly wouldn't have put him in a situation where he had to play out of position from day 1. if I decided I was drafting (and keeping) Bargnani, I'd have looked to trade Bosh for as high a draft pick, or as good a collection of young assets as possible. Tanked again for another year, and had a chance at landing Durant or Oden.
D-BE-LAW
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#34 » by D-BE-LAW » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 am

what were we 8-8, 8-9 when smitch got fired. Did we think that a knee-less JO would yield success? We could have drafted roy hibbert to play along bosh. Bosh is probably having a blast with his personal life in miami, but is it really that fun being 3rd fiddle to wade and lebron. We could have did great things with bosh, hopped on the treadmill. His jersey would have been retired, maybe teams would want to come to toronto because of bosh, or was bosh that sure that no one would want to play along side him, moving to Canada in all. Bosh was the boy in toronto, now everyone makes fun of him in miami, and is a laughing stock most of the times.
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#35 » by Berserk_Raptor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 am

first of all, we already had Bosh who was supposed to be our future PF, so we shouldve gone for a better fit. Andrea definitely is a talented player but not a good fit, but we dont know, it couldve gotten worse if we had picked morrison or tyrus thomas...

secondly, Bargs was treated like a baby from day one, maybe not like a baby but he definitely had some privilege over the rest. Damn he was the first pick, everyone is expecting a lot from a first pick, so he mustve been put pressure, but that did not happen. Its like my father punishes me for not putting enough effort in my grades, but my mother gives me prize. The answer is easy, there was no pressure over him. Hes like the intelligent guy at school who only cares about passing the exams with averages grades, instead of putting more effort.
@raptor21_85
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,510

Post#36 » by DG88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 am

Well you'd draft someone else in hindsight, but after Bosh left we should have traded Andrea and start a true rebuild without him. We would probably get a good package out of him because that was his best season statistically.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#37 » by Neutral 123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 am

Salted Meat wrote:I certainly wouldn't have put him in a situation where he had to play out of position from day 1. if I decided I was drafting (and keeping) Bargnani, I'd have looked to trade Bosh for as high a draft pick, or as good a collection of young assets as possible. Tanked again for another year, and had a chance at landing Durant or Oden.

What is his position? People are still debating this till this day. I honestly don't know why anyone would in hindsight still try to work with this guy. Don't draft him. If this assumes you had to draft him, then trade him asap. If it means you have to keep him for a while, then you have him come off the bench. Basically, the least Bargs the better.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#38 » by Landomar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 am

I'd have handled him by ignoring him and drafting Aldridge like I wanted to at the time.
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#39 » by DHK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 am

Stop ****ing with his body.
We initially put him at the 4..then slide him into 5..then slide him back to the 3, then back to a 4..we never allowed him to play continuously on one position which distorted his weight and role every other season.
He can handle criticism, give him the hard treatment of having to earn his minutes at the beginning of his rookie campaign instead of feeding him minutes as our "#1" guy. Show him that if you aren't hustling, throwing your body around and not setting hard screens, your're going to sit #1 pick or not.

Emphasize the importance of rebounding..pair him up in summer training with Reggie Evans Ben wallace, dennis rodman..I really dont care...have him just practice boxing out and developing a feel for where the ball is likely going to end up and having him rebound it.
Cut down his drinking.
And have him study tape of himself; to see "how he could position himself to be better in a certain situation to improve his help D and work on his footwork, have him work with defensive gurus and being taught when to slide for the help, learning when to trap etc.
Bargnani is a type of player who will do what he's asked, but he will never do anything more, so as ardious as it sounds, the coaches should jsut sit there and give him a daily workout schedule to do daily and monitor him like a child and if everything works out..
Behold...
A bargnani who rebounds, has adequate help D, hustles and has a good offensive game, a perennial all star.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#40 » by Rapsalot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 am

Draft Aldrigde in the first place as I would have!

Return to Toronto Raptors