ImageImageImageImageImage

If you could go back in time...how to handle Bargs?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Re: If you could go back in time...how to handle Bargs? 

Post#41 » by Yoga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 am

Never turn him into the focal point of the offense. Turn him into a 6th man candidate year-in-year-out...that should be the goal and is his ceiling. Beside instant offense off the bench, he is a black hole
Salted Meat
Starter
And1: 1,572

Post#42 » by Salted Meat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am

Neutral 123 wrote:
Salted Meat wrote:I certainly wouldn't have put him in a situation where he had to play out of position from day 1. if I decided I was drafting (and keeping) Bargnani, I'd have looked to trade Bosh for as high a draft pick, or as good a collection of young assets as possible. Tanked again for another year, and had a chance at landing Durant or Oden.

What is his position? People are still debating this till this day. I honestly don't know why anyone would in hindsight still try to work with this guy. Don't draft him. If this assumes you had to draft him, then trade him asap. If it means you have to keep him for a while, then you have him come off the bench. Basically, the least Bargs the better.

Bargnani is a stretch 4. That much should be obvious. In hindsight, yeah, I probably don't draft a guy who plays the same position as my best player, but we did, and the question is about how we could have developed him better. Its easy to say we should have never drafted him, but that doesn't really offer any insight, does it? If, even in hindsight, the Raptors would have still selected Bargnani, and still had the intention of developing him, then you have to work with it.

If we're working under the premise that Bargnani is a halfway decent talent who could have been a very good player had he been developed differently, then you play him at his natural position, the 4 spot, and force feed him minutes to see what he can do, and surround him with players who complement his style of play. You certainly don't pair him with another face-up big who plays away from the basket and expect him to adjust to playing two completely different positions in the same year. How many guys in the NBA play a combo of SF and C who have little to no experience playing either position before entering the league? Bargnani was doomed to fail.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,861

Post#43 » by Tacoma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 am

Neutral 123 wrote:
Salted Meat wrote:I certainly wouldn't have put him in a situation where he had to play out of position from day 1. if I decided I was drafting (and keeping) Bargnani, I'd have looked to trade Bosh for as high a draft pick, or as good a collection of young assets as possible. Tanked again for another year, and had a chance at landing Durant or Oden.

What is his position? People are still debating this till this day. I honestly don't know why anyone would in hindsight still try to work with this guy. Don't draft him. If this assumes you had to draft him, then trade him asap. If it means you have to keep him for a while, then you have him come off the bench. Basically, the least Bargs the better.

Former Bargs supporters still believing and offering the same old excuse. Bargs isn't playing any better or different as a PF today than when he was playing C. He was a C/PF now he's a PF/C. Bargs plays the same way regardless of which position he plays. But Bargs excusers will always excuse.

Going back, Brandon Roy would've been a better choice even with those knees. He would've pair well with Bosh as the core and you still had Ford/Calderon, Parker off the bench. They would've been winning which would've attracted better free agents and they would've been title contenders for a few years in the lowly East Conference.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#44 » by StopitLeo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 am

I sure as hell would have traded him instead of extending him.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#45 » by Neutral 123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 am

Tacoma wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:

Former Bargs supporters still believing and offering the same old excuse. Bargs isn't playing any better or different as a PF today than when he was playing C. He was a C/PF now he's a PF/C. Bargs plays the same way regardless of which position he plays. But Bargs excusers will always excuse.

Going back, Brandon Roy would've been a better choice even with those knees. He would've pair well with Bosh as the core and you still had Ford/Calderon, Parker off the bench. They would've been winning which would've attracted better free agents and they would've been title contenders for a few years in the lowly East Conference.

Yep, it's hilarious. Whether he's playing the 3,4, or 5, you'll see the same disinterested face hanging around the 3pt line chucking. It's bizarre how people still defend this guy.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#46 » by Neutral 123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 am

Salted Meat wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:

Bargnani is a stretch 4. That much should be obvious. In hindsight, yeah, I probably don't draft a guy who plays the same position as my best player, but we did, and the question is about how we could have developed him better. Its easy to say we should have never drafted him, but that doesn't really offer any insight, does it? If, even in hindsight, the Raptors would have still selected Bargnani, and still had the intention of developing him, then you have to work with it.

If we're working under the premise that Bargnani is a halfway decent talent who could have been a very good player had he been developed differently, then you play him at his natural position, the 4 spot, and force feed him minutes to see what he can do, and surround him with players who complement his style of play. You certainly don't pair him with another face-up big who plays away from the basket and expect him to adjust to playing two completely different positions in the same year. How many guys in the NBA play a combo of SF and C who have little to no experience playing either position before entering the league? Bargnani was doomed to fail.

Well at least you admit he's failed. The guy has played the exact same way regardless of his assigned position. You'll never lose Bargs. You know where to find him. He'll be hanging around at the 3 point line with his hands up ready to chuck up another 3. That never changed. Bosh and Bargs was bad for winning, not for Bargs' development. He was force fed minutes, still is. And why would you take a role player and build your roster to suit him? He's not a guy you build around. None of this makes any sense.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#47 » by StatLine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 am

Really, Colangelo is what hindered his development. He babied him too much to a point bargnani became comfortable enough to not give a damn about rebounding because he wont be held accountable regardless of who's coach. He's the spoiled kid who gets things not because he wants it, but because he can. Colangelo is a cancer.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#48 » by wolfv » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 am

We already had a young PF who was much better. I wanted Rudy Gay, but now looking back maybe trade that worthless pick
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#49 » by lucky777s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 am

If you are going back in time you just don't draft him.

But if you can only go back to a point after the draft...you trade him.

Otherwise, if you draft a SF you play him at SF and train him to be a SF. You work him hard on his agility and dribble drives and give him a couple of post moves for when he has a small guy on him. You bench him when he doesn't play with energy and bounce.

You look at early Bargs video and you see a guy who pursued blocks and rebounds. You see a guy who played with some fire. You want him to be Dirk 2.0 you have him train with Dirk in the offseason or with Dirk's longtime trainer. I though Alex English could have been a good mentor too for him but that did not happen.

If he naturally evolves into a PF then you trade him or trade Bosh earlier when he clearly was not going to sign that next extension.

Really the Bargs mistake is something we could have overcome if BC did not blow all our cap space on shortsighted moves and give away so many draft picks.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#50 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 am

Y'all just watch - The 'Nani will come back with a vengeance, and dominate like he has never before. #the return
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#51 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 am

I would have tried to trade him, along with one of Jose and TJ, to Memphis for Pau Gasol. I actually wanted this at the time.

In terms of his role on the team, once it became clear in his second season that he couldn't play centre, we shouldn't have kept trying to make that arrangement work at a cost to the team for years. Bargnani is a 6th man. And not an elite one who deserves big minutes. If they couldn't trade him, they should have made him a 6th man. Just as they should now.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#52 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 am

zilby wrote:This almost feels like the timeline episode of Community where they visit six different scenarios :lol:

I love that episode! And the video game one. :D
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#53 » by Ackshun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 am

Don't gain weight. Work on lateral quickness, handles, and passing. In that order.

Play him off the bench at the 4 position.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#54 » by suntzuballin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 am

have him spare with one of the Klitschko brothers lol
gamer4Life
General Manager
And1: 1,077

Post#55 » by gamer4Life » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Fire BC.
Edwardo
Junior
And1: 82

Post#56 » by Edwardo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:32 pm

The answer to the OP's question is... NOT DRAFT HIM! LOL
Toronto Raptors: Where winning culture is developed after finishing 23-43... So much better than 20-46 because THAT is a disappointing season.
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#57 » by Big Shot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm

It was a mistake to draft him at #1.
It was a bigger mistake to think that he would become a C in the league.
Given he was already on board, I would have played him strictly at 3 and hoped that he would improve his speed and quickness to the level required at that position. If not, trade him in year 3.
two5
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#58 » by two5 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 pm

You ship his ass out.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#59 » by dacrusha » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm

By his 3rd year, it was clear that he was going to be a player with one above average skill-set (scorer), but without a defined position and without any other discernible skill of note (defense, rebounding etc)

What do you do with a player like this? You have him come off the bench as scoring threat and develop him into a possible 6th man of the year candidate.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#60 » by Saciid11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Same way I felt back then ...

Trade down take Rudy Gay ..

Take Aldridge with the #1 pick

or

Just take Rudy Gay with that top pick ... at least Rudy fills need this team had at the time and at worst he would have been elite defensive small forward like he is now, all star to borderline all star like he is now and will have an impact on wins ...

Return to Toronto Raptors