ImageImageImageImageImage

Do we have the most horrible fans in the league?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Re: Do we have the most horrible fans in the league? 

Post#81 » by sanity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

What bad team in the history of sports doesn't have it's fanbase attribute much of the blame towards its best player? That is part of the responsibility of being the best player. The Raptors have been ****, Bargnani has been ****. The two aren't mutually exclusive of one another
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#82 » by Geddy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm

I can't help but notice a relationship between the people who usually complain about the negativity and "hate" on this board currently and the fans who traditionally backed guys like BC, Calderon and Bargnani. Now that the average fans are tired of those clowns, their (BC, Bargnani, etc) fans are getting upset and saying that the entire board is irrational.

Most times when I see logical arguments put forth as to why BC, Bargnani and others should be gone, someone will come along without a proper retort and say something like, "OMG this board is so bad now" or "stop hating".
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#83 » by Alfred » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

fabste wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:
dballislife wrote:Why do we have such extremely negative, idiotic, and simply horrible fan base.

What other fans would have tolerated BC and Bargnani for 7 year and making the playoff for 4 times in 17 seasons ???

Raptors have the best fans in the league..

yeah right

little to non-existent sport culture
little to non existent knowledge of the game
money
bipolar mentality
hustle role player who can't play basket as idols
ALWAYS blame the best player for losses

mix and you have the average raptor fan :wink:

the best no doubt :lol: :lol:

Player fans always seem to sing the same song once their favourite player doesn't figure into the team's future.
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#84 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Geddy wrote:I can't help but notice a relationship between the people who usually complain about the negativity and "hate" on this board currently and the fans who traditionally backed guys like BC, Calderon and Bargnani. Now that the average fans are tired of those clowns, their (BC, Bargnani, etc) fans are getting upset and saying that the entire board is irrational.

Most times when I see logical arguments put forth as to why BC, Bargnani and others should be gone, someone will come along without a proper retort and say something like, "OMG this board is so bad now" or "stop hating".

Thank you for providing this excellent example of binary thinking!
“The North Remembers"
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,207

Post#85 » by Scase » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:I also want to point out, ive been lurking here since about 04, anyone who uses the excuse that its the team being terrible at fault must be new to this. When have the Raps been great? Negativity has always been part of this board, the issue is lack of creativity or substance. Go read any thread, or the numerous duplicates of threads, its the same narratives from the same people about the same things. Its not even a Raptors forum anymore, its a chat room based on anything you can vaguely link back to MLSE/Raptors.

Alfred wrote:Think about this for a second before you vent on the fans for being negative:

The raptors have had one winning season in the past 11 years.

11 > 8

Now I'm not saying all the stupidity will dry up once(IF) we become a winning team again, but the tons of negativity will no doubt wane to a reasonable degree. The stupidity is from the 15 year old kids that think they are funny.

And since we have the biggest online fanbase we have the most idiots, it's a pretty simple numbers game.
Props TZ!
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#86 » by Yoga » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Geddy wrote:I can't help but notice a relationship between the people who usually complain about the negativity and "hate" on this board currently and the fans who traditionally backed guys like BC, Calderon and Bargnani. Now that the average fans are tired of those clowns, their (BC, Bargnani, etc) fans are getting upset and saying that the entire board is irrational.

There is a lot of negativity and hate, but I have not traditionally backed BC or Bargnani. I am on the fence about Calderon.

If one player has a good game, some posters get super excited and make threads about "contract extenstion", "all-star", etc.
maxpower88
Senior
And1: 174

Post#87 » by maxpower88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm

The fanbase that comes to watch the games is incredible, one of the best in the league.

The fanbase that posts on the forums, one of the worst in the league. Turns on their team the second they smell a loss.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#88 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm

I don't think you can separate the quality of the team and the quality of discussion here.

The team is totally directionless right now. They've been in a deep rut for almost all of BC's tenure but now -- terrible, rudderless and without a draft pick -- is truly a dark point. It's also just a dull point.

Personally, I don't think we'll have that much to discuss until BC's disastrous rein is finally, mercifully, brought to an end.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#89 » by SDM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 pm

I think there's a disconnect between two camps:

1. Those that think that in order to be a fan you MUST support everything your team does. You're allowed to be critical, but never, ever negative. Demar? He doesn't suck, he's young. Bargnani? Bigs take longer. BC? He's got prestige even if his moves don't always work out. There isn't a consistent view amongst everyone in this camp with regards to individual players or coaching or management, but the gist is "it's a game, it's your team, have some pride, no one wins every year and there's always next year, etc". Some have even branched out into general apathy towards anything negative by simply saying, "it's cold, the taxes, no ESPN, no star player ever wants to play here so treadmilling is preferable".

2. Those that think that you can't possibly be a fan if you're not passionate about what's going on currently, which is mostly negative. Again, the people in this camp can love individual players (I like Calderon, think he's a damn good player and is horribly underrated here) or coaching (I also like Casey) or management (dream on Colangelo), but they've acknowledged that the general impact of this team's history and present is suspect and future isn't bright at all under the current alignment.

1 can't stand 2 and vice versa... it's only fractured like this because the team is bad. Neither side is wrong when it comes to an individual person's fandom.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#90 » by CoachJReturns » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

For a franchise that has sucked, historically, almost every year since it's inception, i'd say we have a pretty loyal fanbase. Maybe not the most sophisticated, but loyal. By sophisticated, I mean I'm not sure enough people would see the value of tanking a couple years and accumulating premier young talent. Whereas the Celtics had the understanding of their fans while Ainge build his masterpiece.
Then again, I think if the situation was made clear to fans, most would support a tank, as long as the young guys coming in were entertaining and played hard.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#91 » by Zeno » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Frankly I don't find the over-the-top positive hysteria that comes with even the smallest amount of short lived success that much better than the ongoing ultra negativity. I'm not sure winning will do more than change the nature of the overreacting.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#92 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Part of the problem is viewing the forum in terms of two camps at war with each other (again with the binary thinking.) Does everything have to be discussed in terms of anti- or pro- Bargnani, Colangelo, Casey, Calderon and DeRozan? The tipping point for me was the post-game discussion of the Lakers game that got derailed into bashing Colangelo for not drafting Drummond. Sure, he should have drafted Drummond but it's turned into a medieval chant that seems to be repeated six times a day.

SDM wrote:I think there's a disconnect between two camps:

1. Those that think that in order to be a fan you MUST support everything your team does. You're allowed to be critical, but never, ever negative. Demar? He doesn't suck, he's young. Bargnani? Bigs take longer. BC? He's got prestige even if his moves don't always work out. There isn't a consistent view amongst everyone in this camp with regards to individual players or coaching or management, but the gist is "it's a game, it's your team, have some pride, no one wins every year and there's always next year, etc". Some have even branched out into general apathy towards anything negative by simply saying, "it's cold, the taxes, no ESPN, no star player ever wants to play here so treadmilling is preferable".

2. Those that think that you can't possibly be a fan if you're not passionate about what's going on currently, which is mostly negative. Again, the people in this camp can love individual players (I like Calderon, think he's a damn good player and is horribly underrated here) or coaching (I also like Casey) or management (dream on Colangelo), but they've acknowledged that the general impact of this team's history and present is suspect and future isn't bright at all under the current alignment.

1 can't stand 2 and vice versa... it's only fractured like this because the team is bad. Neither side is wrong when it comes to an individual person's fandom.
“The North Remembers"
Yogi Stewertess
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#93 » by Yogi Stewertess » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Lets face it. Most internet posters have mental issues. So you get the loopy happy crowd when we win. And the mad angry crowd when we lose.

It not an isolated Raptor issues. Its society in general.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#94 » by Homer Jay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Legal Non-Conforming wrote:Part of the problem is viewing the forum in terms of two camps at war with each other (again with the binary thinking.) Does everything have to be discussed in terms of anti- or pro- Bargnani, Colangelo, Casey, Calderon and DeRozan? The tipping point for me was the post-game discussion of the Lakers game that got derailed into bashing Colangelo for not drafting Drummond. Sure, he should have drafted Drummond but it's turned into a medieval chant that seems to be repeated six times a day.

Couldn't agree more. There are a certain group of posters here that want to make everything adversarial and every issue as either being "you're for or against, pick a side". It's not conducive to discussion, just grandstanding and "I told you so" type bashing. You can be critical of a player without being against them, and on the other hand you can compliment a player without being a fanboy.
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,207

Post#95 » by Scase » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 am

Homer Jay wrote:
Legal Non-Conforming wrote:Part of the problem is viewing the forum in terms of two camps at war with each other (again with the binary thinking.) Does everything have to be discussed in terms of anti- or pro- Bargnani, Colangelo, Casey, Calderon and DeRozan? The tipping point for me was the post-game discussion of the Lakers game that got derailed into bashing Colangelo for not drafting Drummond. Sure, he should have drafted Drummond but it's turned into a medieval chant that seems to be repeated six times a day.

Couldn't agree more. There are a certain group of posters here that want to make everything adversarial and every issue as either being "you're for or against, pick a side". It's not conducive to discussion, just grandstanding and "I told you so" type bashing. You can be critical of a player without being against them, and on the other hand you can compliment a player without being a fanboy.

There is the third group, of which I consider myself to be part of.

Those that are just flat out fed up with the mediocrity of the team and welcome change, not attached to any one player or management staff member. Just hoping for a competitive and relevant team, but refuse to blindly support a team designed to be mediocre.......also want BC gone :D
Props TZ!
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#96 » by Berserk_Raptor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:57 am

Yogi Stewertess wrote:Lets face it. Most internet posters have mental issues. So you get the loopy happy crowd when we win. And the mad angry crowd when we lose.

It not an isolated Raptor issues. Its society in general.

@raptor21_85
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#97 » by suntzuballin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:03 am

were the best fans in the league take look at all the team forums here on realgm

Return to Toronto Raptors