ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddadi, 2nd-rounder

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,727

Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddadi, 2nd-rounder 

Post#421 » by Duffman100 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Maybe I am misunderstanding the greater outrage of this deal;

It appears to be Haddadi and some sort of second rounder for Telfair;
No cash trading hands?

Basically the Suns are eating the rest of Haddadi's 1.3 million dollar salary this season, as well as whatever portion (I think 300 - 400k?) of the 1.4 million he is owned as part of the guaranteed portion of his deal next season.

I am not entirely sure what sort of cash has changed hands to acquire second rounders over the past few seasons but I can't imagine its that far out of line with what the Suns are paying to mop the deck of Haddadi?

Granted if the Raps paid for the buy-out it becomes a different story;
But at the end of the day we got a PG who is a proper back-up, who is a pretty solid defender, which finally gives us the ability to cart out 48 minutes of solid defense from the one spot over the course of a game which we haven't had the ability to do in a long time.

My issue is only if Telfair walks. If we don't resign him at the end of the season, then we gave up a 2nd rounder for a rental/money savings. I don't really care about either of those.
Ditchweed
Starter
And1: 89

Post#422 » by Ditchweed » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Ditchweed wrote:This board is something else with all the complaints ...

BC basically dumped Haddadi's salary of $1.3M, a guy Toronto was stuck with from the Gay trade and who was never going to play, for a needed backup PG costing $1.5M and who fits in with the team's players and who also has potential to be a good back up. The cost was a cannon fodder 2nd rounder where the possibility of getting a player rated as high as Telfair with the pick would be improbable.

Trading a negative for a positive for what ... another player to stash in the Euro league? This was a good move.

Sure, if we resign Telfair and he's our backup PG going forward, then this deal is alright. But if he walks at the end of the season, then what the ****? What was the point?

The trade is far better than the status quo of doing nothing in that scenario: no backup PG if Lowry or JLIII goes down, having to pay Haddadi's salary and getting nothing for it, and then hoping to get a player next year with as good a potential as Telfair via a deep 2nd rounder.

Running an NBA franchise is a calculated business and nobody can fortell the future, but in this case the good points of the risk outweigh the bad points of doing nothing. If Telfair fits, they will most likely re-sign him and get the player they want, even if it costs more, but at least they get the player they want. The cost to find out if he is a good fit is the deep 2nd rounder. If he is no good, he's gone and MLSE is also not stuck with a bad contract.

What would you prefer, doing nothing and then hoping to get a player with Telfair's potential next year? That certainly doesn't fit with MLSE's plan of making the playoffs this year nor of paying $1.3M to Haddadi who won't be playing. Even if you did hang on to the pick, it doesn't mean that you would necessarily be successful with that second round pick next year either, that also could be a complete bust. If so, what's the point of sitting tight?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,916

Post#423 » by JN » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 pm

This wasn't a good or bad move. It was a move. Its the cost of helping the roster get through the year. The cost is typically a second rounder -- sometimes you get them, sometimes you give them.
frizzer1
Junior
And1: 64

Post#424 » by frizzer1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 pm

arbsn wrote:
G.A. Clone wrote:
Like trading TJ Ford (one of our best players) for Jermaine O'neal

And then just throwing in our 1st round pick as sweetener because we were a playoff team it was a low pick that low and behold ended up being an all star (Roy Hibbert)

And didn't he include another first round pick when he tried to dump JO...and that pick turned out to be 5th overall which they got back in the Bosh trade?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#425 » by SharoneWright » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:09 pm

frizzer1 wrote:If raps had a scouting staff that could get someone decent in the second round then I'd be against the trade....But they don't.....when was the last time BC got a guy in the second round who can play.

PJ Tucker... :D
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#426 » by Duffman100 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Ditchweed wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Sure, if we resign Telfair and he's our backup PG going forward, then this deal is alright. But if he walks at the end of the season, then what the ****? What was the point?

The trade is far better than the status quo of doing nothing in that scenario: no backup PG if Lowry or JLIII goes down, having to pay Haddadi's salary and getting nothing for it, and then hoping to get a player next year with as good a potential as Telfair via a deep 2nd rounder.

Running an NBA franchise is a calculated business and nobody can fortell the future, but in this case the good points of the risk outweigh the bad points of doing nothing. If Telfair fits, they will most likely re-sign him and get the player they want, even if it costs more, but at least they get the player they want. The cost to find out if he is a good fit is the deep 2nd rounder. If he is no good, he's gone and MLSE is also not stuck with a bad contract.

What would you prefer, doing nothing and then hoping to get a player with Telfair's potential next year? That certainly doesn't fit with MLSE's plan of making the playoffs this year nor of paying $1.3M to Haddadi who won't be playing. Even if you did hang on to the pick, it doesn't mean that you would necessarily be successful with that second round pick next year either, that also could be a complete bust. If so, what's the point of sitting tight?

I'm not wholly against this trade or for this trade. I'm just not a fan if Telfair walks.

It's just the fact that this management seems to toss 2nd rounders around like they're nothing. As someone said earlier, you can get rotation players in the 2nd round. These aren't worthless picks.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,446

Post#427 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:Maybe I am misunderstanding the greater outrage of this deal;

It appears to be Haddadi and some sort of second rounder for Telfair;
No cash trading hands?

Basically the Suns are eating the rest of Haddadi's 1.3 million dollar salary this season, as well as whatever portion (I think 300 - 400k?) of the 1.4 million he is owned as part of the guaranteed portion of his deal next season.

I am not entirely sure what sort of cash has changed hands to acquire second rounders over the past few seasons but I can't imagine its that far out of line with what the Suns are paying to mop the deck of Haddadi?

Granted if the Raps paid for the buy-out it becomes a different story;
But at the end of the day we got a PG who is a proper back-up, who is a pretty solid defender, which finally gives us the ability to cart out 48 minutes of solid defense from the one spot over the course of a game which we haven't had the ability to do in a long time.

My issue is only if Telfair walks. If we don't resign him at the end of the season, then we gave up a 2nd rounder for a rental/money savings. I don't really care about either of those.

I hear ya,

However there was going to be a trade off coming, we just added a bucketload of salary in landing Rudy Gay and while I would love to believe that MLSE was going to spend freely I figured sooner or later there would be a trade made based almost entirely on money,

This is kind of that deal;
We flip a pick for a million or million and a bit in salary consideration and add a guy who we are pretty confident fills an immediate need on our team.

If there is a guy we like in the second round, BC has never been shy about adding second rounders on draft day and taking a guy who he thinks is good (Greekguy, Alabi) and I cant imagine it will cost that much more to add that pick should we need it on draft day then it would have cost to pay Haddadi to simply go away.

We fill a need today in exchange for a guy we got saddled with as part of the Gay deal in exchange for a pick I am not entirely certain will be that hard to obtain draft day if we really like a guy on the board.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#428 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 pm

This trade is incosequential, but it's more a smoking gun than anything that BC has no concept of asset value. He's Black Swan Daryl Morey, he has the complete opposite strategy. And that's a horrible sign cause Morey is a f'ing beast lol. But let's extend BC for getting a < 40% volume scorer on a max deal
martypython
Bench Warmer
And1: 252

Post#429 » by martypython » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm

We needed a PG right now, and Telfair isn't much, but a serviceable backup once Lucas cools down. Besides, we get to dump Hadaddi in Phoenix after having him do absolutely nothing.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#430 » by LieCheatSteal » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:54 pm

This seems like a move for the playoffs and the Raps are way too far back to even get within sniffing distance of it. Also, Boston and Milwaukee, two teams ahead of the Raps, just picked up key pieces to solidify their playoffs status.

I hate this move just solely because it's a mirage to trick the consumer to think the Raps are even playoff contenders, which they are not.
Two years from being two years away.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,198

Post#431 » by Dalek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 am

LieCheatSteal wrote:This seems like a move for the playoffs and the Raps are way too far back to even get within sniffing distance of it. Also, Boston and Milwaukee, two teams ahead of the Raps, just picked up key pieces to solidify their playoffs status.

I hate this move just solely because it's a mirage to trick the consumer to think the Raps are even playoff contenders, which they are not.

I'd disagree with this move being for the playoffs. It just makes sense for us to have three PGs, as it can hopefully lower Lowry's minutes and spell Lucas when his shot is not dropping. I probably would have went for PGs on 10 day contracts, but they got rid of Haddadi's deal in the process, so it cleared the roster spot.

The next move for me is to waive Petrius and get a PF on a 10 day. We need more front court depth, so why not test out some vet bigs?
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#432 » by Marmoset » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 am

I don't feel strongly about the trade on its own. Telfair fills a need, and Haddadi is someone I don't think Colangelo ever wanted in the first place. But, it does continue Colangelo's history of throwing away draft picks. That's now a first and three second round picks owing for the future. I know, second round picks don't usually work out, but if you almost always trade them away then you can be certain they won't work out.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#433 » by Truthrising » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:30 am

So this is the backup PG that we all were coveting for to take us to the net level...SMDH
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#434 » by Duffman100 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:46 am

Here's the protection:

Pick will be later of Raptors' or Kings' 2nd-round pick in 2014, provided #Raptors pick is not in top 36.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,027

Post#435 » by Marvin Martian » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:56 am

Backup PGs are not essential to the long terms success of a franchise. I would have liked to see DD moved for a quality 2 way SG for a better core moving forward.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#436 » by Homer Jay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:59 am

I doubt with the current diplomatic climate between Canada and Iran, that Haddadi's VISA issues were going to be rectified anytime soon. Unlikely he would ever have played for us.

Here's a good primer on the value of draft picks I like to point people towards. You can see the long term trends of the value of players and picks.
http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

You can always buy a pick on draft day if an intriguing talent is staring you in the face. BC's bought them before (Alabi).

If we re-sign Telfair, please not more than one year, or one plus a team option. JLIII at 1.5 million next year is not bad for a 3rd PG/small ball SG, but really hope that Telfair can manage some more effective floor management.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#437 » by Landomar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 am

BC is just awful at asset management.

Lucas is fine as backup PG for this season. Telfair is not clearly better than Lucas. We could sign some free agent scrub to provide 3rd string depth. Haddadi's contract shouldn't be part of the motivation for this trade at all, and I hope that it wasn't. It's so small that just waiving him and paying it ourselves should be inconsequential.

Second round picks aren't worth much, even in good draft years like 2014, but there's no reason to just throw them away at the rate that BC does. I can't stand watching this guy make moves, he's not improving at all, and I want BC gone years ago. I want to have a GM who understands value and long term strategy like an Alex Anthopolous or Darryl Morey.
RapsFanInOhio
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,965

Post#438 » by RapsFanInOhio » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 am

Smh at people complaining over a second round pick like we could have used it to trade for Lebron or something.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#439 » by YogiStewart » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:44 am

Landomar wrote:BC is just awful at asset management.

Lucas is fine as backup PG for this season. Telfair is not clearly better than Lucas. We could sign some free agent scrub to provide 3rd string depth. Haddadi's contract shouldn't be part of the motivation for this trade at all, and I hope that it wasn't. It's so small that just waiving him and paying it ourselves should be inconsequential.

Second round picks aren't worth much, even in good draft years like 2014, but there's no reason to just throw them away at the rate that BC does. I can't stand watching this guy make moves, he's not improving at all, and I want BC gone years ago. I want to have a GM who understands value and long term strategy like an Alex Anthopolous or Darryl Morey.

so, on one hand, a 2nd rnd pick is not worth much, but on the other hand, you don't want it used to acquire a known asset with a relatively known ceiling versus an unknown asset that likely has a lower ceiling? seeing that it will be a mid-2nd rnd pick.

and instead of signing a scrub, we traded for a guy that's better than a scrub. and we used a likely-scrub pick to get a guy that's above scrub level.

got it.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#440 » by HEKTOR » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 am

The people crying about this deal and once again bashing BC are clueless. It was a good deal, we shed some salary by getting rid of a guy who wasn't even going to play for us for a serviceable backup PG on an expiring contract. Throwing in that protected 2nd rd pick helps to justify the Suns taking on Haddadi's contract. Gotta give a little to get a little and considering what we gave up, I'm not sure why anyone should be so upset.

Return to Toronto Raptors