yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddadi, 2nd-rounder

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, tsherkin, Morris_Shatford, Undefeated, DG88, Rhettmatic, Alfred, FluLikeSymptoms, itbobby007

Post#466 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 am by UN-Owen

We're going for 9th
UN-Owen
Starter
And1: 171

Post#467 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:25 am by Dr Positivity

For the people saying 2nds are useless, let's just say there's a reason the smart teams like Hou and Okc stock up on them while the tard teams like Was, Sac, Isiah era Knicks, us, are the Kings of giving them away. Throwing in 2nds is the smoking gun of a bad team
Dr Positivity

RealGM
And1: 1,212

Post#468 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 am by cmk0803

2 PG system?
Playoffs 2014
cmk0803

Junior
And1: 240

Post#469 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 am by TdotRap4Lyfe

9th or die trying folks!
Credits to Turbo_Zone
TdotRap4Lyfe

Veteran
And1: 776

Post#470 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:44 am by cmk0803

2 PG system?
Playoffs 2014
cmk0803

Junior
And1: 240

Post#471 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:49 am by Wo1verine

Over 400 replies for Sebastian freaking Telfair!? I can't say it's surprising but still!
Turbo_Zone
tWo!
Wo1verine

General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#472 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 am by Wo1verine

Dr Positivity wrote:For the people saying 2nds are useless, let's just say there's a reason the smart teams like Hou and Okc stock up on them while the tard teams like Was, Sac, Isiah era Knicks, us, are the Kings of giving them away. Throwing in 2nds is the smoking gun of a bad team

I would never trade a draft pick for a plug like Telfair! I would always take the chance with the draft choice.
Turbo_Zone
tWo!
Wo1verine

General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#473 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 am by OAKLEY_2

I would never trade a draft pick for a plug like Telfair! I would always take the chance with the draft choice.

Agreed. But right or wrong we have a draft schmaft organization run by a media cartel. When your goal is to be the 16th best team in two respective leagues there isn't real value placed on them. Haddadi would have been enough.
OAKLEY_2
Lead Assistant
And1: 791

Post#474 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 am by OAKLEY_2

9th or die trying folks!

Has to be. 8th they get whacked by Lebron and the pick rolls over to 2014 with the risk of losing it if we fail to make the playoffs next year. The way the roster clears out we need that pick in 2014.
OAKLEY_2
Lead Assistant
And1: 791

Post#475 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 am by YogiStewart

Landomar wrote:
It's the principle of the thing. Second round picks are minor assets, but they are assets. It is helpful to have them around for trade purposes, or for filling out the roster with cheap third string depth that has potential. If you do a good job, it's also possible to occassionally find a diamond in the rough, like a Paul Millsap or Chandler Parsons. Just because a future second rounder has relatively low value doesn't mean that you should just toss it away for marginal talent.

Here's are the main problems with giving up anything to add Telfair:

- He's something like the 60th best PG in the NBA. He's a capable backup if you don't have anyone else, but we already have Lowry and Lucas, and aren't desperate for a "proven" backup. It would be fine to bring in the equivalent of Ben Uzoh or whoever. If we take a chance on someone like this, we could even stumble into the next Jamario Moon or Alan Anderson type, which has value. A random guy would also do just fine as insurance against injuries for the rest of this season.

- Telfair is a free agent at the end of the season, so we're only adding him as injury insurance for the next 27 games, in a season where we aren't making the playoffs and are basically gunning for 9th. Even if we somehow do make a miracle run to the 8th seed, I highly doubt that Telfair is going to be an important part of the story.

you also have an injury-prone starting PG and no one who is 3rd in the depth charts.
do you think a 10-day PG like Uzoh from last year is better than Telfair?
Oogla Carr: MLSE Employee of the Year
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,044

Post#476 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 am by Crazy-Canuck

I like the deal.

JL3 is not a point guard, he's a short shooting guard forced to play point guard due to his height. Difference between a scoring point like Bayless and JL3, is that Bayless will look to score, but also get the offence gong by creating looks for others. JL3, looks for his shot and only passes out when he cant get a shot off (half the time he throws it up anyways). Him and AA basically play a 2 man game when they are together. We are better off with a pg that can get our other bench guys like Bargs, Ross, Fields etc..involved. And I think Bassy will do that for us.
Crazy-Canuck
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#477 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:21 am by DonMega

Worst possible trade since it's the 2014 draft which is apparently stacked
DonMega

Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#478 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 am by McFurious1

I haven't gone through the whole thread but what's the protection on the 2nd rounder?

Thanks TurboZone for the sig.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 172

Post#479 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:39 am by KrazyP

truthrising wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NBA_Draft
Heck i'd rather take the %10 chance, once again BC has messed up..sigh

10% is being way to generous.......i.e. landing a guy like Steve Novak is nothing to right home about.....especially when you consider guys like that often jump from team to team for years before finding a niche. The 2nd pick used to draft such a player has little value unless that player (a) stays with that team and brings long term value > then a roleplayer you can pick up in free agency any year or (b) brings back something of significance in a trade. If you get niether (a) or (b), then the pick is more or less worthless.

Also factor in that the pick has 30-36 protection on it and the odds drop even further.

The people whining about this will whine about everything...good or bad.
KrazyP
Head Coach
And1: 473

Post#480 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 am by Thelonious

KrazyP wrote:
truthrising wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NBA_Draft
Heck i'd rather take the %10 chance, once again BC has messed up..sigh

10% is being way to generous.......i.e. landing a guy like Steve Novak is nothing to right home about.....especially when you consider guys like that often jump from team to team for years before finding a niche. The 2nd pick used to draft such a player has little value unless that player (a) stays with that team and brings long term value > then a roleplayer you can pick up in free agency any year or (b) brings back something of significance in a trade. If you get niether (a) or (b), then the pick is more or less worthless.

Also factor in that the pick has 30-36 protection on it and the odds drop even further.

The people whining about this will whine about everything...good or bad.

Agree.

Like always, legitimate dislike for BC clouding people's judgement. I wish people would discuss trades for what they are and not as a way to support an agenda. Here it's pretty obvious truthrising would have used any available argument as long as it allowed him to demonstrate that "once again BC has messed up".
Thelonious

Assistant Coach
And1: 244

Post#481 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 am by pspot

cmk0803 wrote:2 PG system?

3 PG system

nm
pspot

General Manager
And1: 144

Post#482 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am by rsavaj

He's actually not as bad as he used to be. His game matured a lot in Phoenix and he became a decent backup. Pesky on-ball defender, not a bad 3 point shooter. Has trouble finishing at the rim because he's small.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 636

Post#483 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:32 am by pkiskool

When Andrew Wiggins rolls into town being the franchise player on another team, and creams us for the L, that's when I quit on this team.
Just imagine that pain.... OTL
pkiskool
Sixth Man
And1: 637

Post#484 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 am by [SJJ]

pkiskool wrote:When Andrew Wiggins rolls into town being the franchise player on another team, and creams us for the L, that's when I quit on this team.
Just imagine that pain.... OTL

The following year Wiggins announces he wants to play at home and forces his way to Toronto. The pair of Jonas and Wiggins wreaks havoc across the league for a decade, instilling fear in the hearts of opposing frontcourts.
Props to Turbo_Zone
[SJJ]
Head Coach
And1: 110

Post#485 Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddad
Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 am by Camboflage

Camboflage
Rookie
And1: 322

PreviousNext

Return to Toronto Raptors