ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowry to fans: Stop booing Bargnani

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Re: Lowry to fans: Stop booing Bargnani 

Post#481 » by Jakay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 pm

hillbilly hare wrote:"Hope" he does well? And just who is it up to if he does well, or not? Us or him? Why not turn the thing around? Let's hope Andrea, finally, shows some love for the game and devotion to his team and teammates, and some balls, and a work ethic and so on. Sort of, you know, the minimum you could expect from a guy who is paid 10M a year to play a kids' game. And THEN I and probably lots of other people will cheer him for all he's worth.

The unspoken thing here is also that the booing gives Andrea yet ANOTHER excuse for his lack of balls and intensity on the court. So now it's OUR fault that he couldn't give a sh*t? That's hilarious.

Well let's see here... when do you excel in life? When someone says "you can do it, I believe in you?", like your mom, or when someone says "you're a useless piece of **** and I hate you", like the entire city of Toronto.

And obviously he cares on some level. No player anywhere is coasting into the NBA without trying at all. You are truly clueless if you think otherwise.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#482 » by Volcano » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:33 pm

dagger wrote:This reminds me a bit about Vince's last season here - the media, Feschuk in particular, started a vendetta against him. So Carter obliged by being increasingly less motivated at putting in effort. In the end, we got 10 cents on the dollar in trading him, set the franchise back for years.

Ya, that strategy worked really well.

Vince wanted out before the booing started. The mistake was the organization wanting to go in a different direction.

In this case, it's BC who crippled the team and Bargnani was one of his weapons. The mistake here was not trading Bargnani earlier and investing too much in him for no reason.
name_discrep
Junior
And1: 10

Post#483 » by name_discrep » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Good to see teammates stepping up to support.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#484 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm

TeamMago7 wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:
TeamMago7 wrote:Even when you try to explain to these idiotic booers that you're not defending Bargnani but are trying to maximize what the franchise can get out of him, they still find an excuse. It's as if Bargnani slept with their family member or something, and in the process left a bone in the asses of these "fans" that they now wish to pick.

You guys yourselves say he shows no motivation, so how the hell are you trying to motivate him by booing? Colangelo already outright stated that Bargnani isn't in the future plans, so it's not like you're letting the franchise know you want him gone. So what the hell is the point of booing? Seriously, tell me.

He slept with by father, Bryan Colangelo. And yeah, I'm pretty pissed off about it. Barfs fanbois are masters of excuses, and they are so good at it, that they have managed to accuse those who have tired of the excuses, of being excuse makers themselves. Amazing!

Alright, class! Let's take a break from stupidity and review reading comprehension! The not in the phrase "...that you're not defending Bargnani" means that the associated verb is not active. Therefore, defending of Bargnani is NOT the case.

What excuses? I clearly showed that I don't like the booing for the good of the franchise; nowhere in my statement did I even hint at sympathizing with Bargnani, or excusing his play.

Of course, just like someone calling themselves 'TeamMago' means they are not a Barfs fanboi!!!
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#485 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

bassmastert wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Bargs' demeanor reminds me alot of Brad Daugherty's. (not comparing them as players, but as personalities.)

His reminds me of Ted Bundy. I'm not comparing them as people, just their personalities!

You remind me of Al Bundy. I'm not comparing you two as people, just both of you constantly get caught with your hand down your pants.

If Barfs showed Al Bundy level of effort out there, he probably STILL wouldn't be getting booed. He'd try the patience of a saint.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#486 » by mrsocko » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

0 POINTS 0 REBOUNDS 13 MINUTES.

I can't blame people for booing him. it's just sad to see rebounds hitting him in the head and hands and going out of bounds. Now he won't even take a shot. If he don't come in the game he won't get booed. Play him on the road only and see if he gets his confidence back.

Watching last night it looked like his teammates won't even pass to him.
Dick expectation level 0/5
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#487 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:57 pm

TeamMago7 wrote:WHY NOT F@#$ING BOO HIM WHEN HE SHOWS LACK OF EFFORT INSTEAD OF AS SOON AS HE CHECKS INTO THE GAME!?

WHEN HE DOESN'T RUN BACK ON DEFENSE - BOO. WHEN HE STARES AT A BALL INSTEAD OF GRABBING A REBOUND - BOO.

BUT WHEN THIS MOTHER&*(%ER JUST CHECKS INTO THE GAME, THE BOOS MEAN NOTHING. THE BOOS MEAN "GET BACK ON THE BENCH", NOT "WE WANT YOU TO HUSTLE".

Sorry but booing him as he subs in does nothing to help his performance, the performance of his peers, or his trade situation. Sure, he may deserve it, but that doesn't mean you have to jeopardize trade value and other things along the way.

The franchise already knows you want to get rid of him; they're trying to.

If you want to voice how displeased you are about the franchise, then how the hell is that message being sent when you're booing ONE player, and not the TEAM?

That's exactly when he gets booed. The guy has never hustled in his life.
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#488 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Jakay wrote:
hillbilly hare wrote:"Hope" he does well? And just who is it up to if he does well, or not? Us or him? Why not turn the thing around? Let's hope Andrea, finally, shows some love for the game and devotion to his team and teammates, and some balls, and a work ethic and so on. Sort of, you know, the minimum you could expect from a guy who is paid 10M a year to play a kids' game. And THEN I and probably lots of other people will cheer him for all he's worth.

The unspoken thing here is also that the booing gives Andrea yet ANOTHER excuse for his lack of balls and intensity on the court. So now it's OUR fault that he couldn't give a sh*t? That's hilarious.

Well let's see here... when do you excel in life? When someone says "you can do it, I believe in you?", like your mom, or when someone says "you're a useless piece of **** and I hate you", like the entire city of Toronto.

And obviously he cares on some level. No player anywhere is coasting into the NBA without trying at all. You are truly clueless if you think otherwise.

Come on now, if your parents see you slacking off, they are going to let you know about it, and depending on your parents, you'd wish they were booing your ass and not beating the hell out of it. But soft, delicate Barfs, is too precious to receive any type of criticism. I mean really. The type of filth I've read and heard about other players, and THIS is some outrage? What makes this guy so special? What makes him above it all? It really makes no sense.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#489 » by Jakay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:
TeamMago7 wrote:WHY NOT F@#$ING BOO HIM WHEN HE SHOWS LACK OF EFFORT INSTEAD OF AS SOON AS HE CHECKS INTO THE GAME!?

WHEN HE DOESN'T RUN BACK ON DEFENSE - BOO. WHEN HE STARES AT A BALL INSTEAD OF GRABBING A REBOUND - BOO.

BUT WHEN THIS MOTHER&*(%ER JUST CHECKS INTO THE GAME, THE BOOS MEAN NOTHING. THE BOOS MEAN "GET BACK ON THE BENCH", NOT "WE WANT YOU TO HUSTLE".

Sorry but booing him as he subs in does nothing to help his performance, the performance of his peers, or his trade situation. Sure, he may deserve it, but that doesn't mean you have to jeopardize trade value and other things along the way.

If you want to voice how displeased you are about the franchise, then how the hell is that message being sent when you're booing ONE player, and not the TEAM?

The guy is actually incapable of hustling like the athletic phenoms that make up most of this league. Something which is totally lost on all of you I swear to God.
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#490 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Jakay wrote:Toronto's fans are pretty much the worst in the league in this regard.

By a lot.

You wanted an overpaid useless 7'0" cap killer (and it wouldn't be hard to dig up thousands of posts saying this), you got it.

Again, it's mostly the ones still defending this guy who wanted him. To try to throw that back in the faces of those who wanted them gone years ago is just cruel, and far more cruel than just booing.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#491 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Jakay wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:

The guy is actually incapable of hustling like the athletic phenoms that make up most of this league. Something which is totally lost on all of you I swear to God.

How do Brian Scalabrine, Matt Bonner, Aaron Gray, and Jason Collins hustle?
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#492 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Paradise wrote:As a New Yorker, I figured I'd chime in on this.

Booing is a sign of tough love. I highly doubt the fans "hate" him but they certainly realize that the Raptors are evolving and he isn't. In fact, he still represents the past era the Raptors are trying to shed and Barngani isn't even trying to show consistent effort to supplement his numbers..

You should read more of the posts on this forum. Your explanation doesn't match what is going on on this board, you are much too charitable.. There is a sizable number of posters who hate the GM, coach, and almost ALL of the players on this team and express it on a regular basis. Look at all the Rudy Gay hate on a night when he doesn't win a game single-handedly. They hate DeRozan, they hate Lowry, they hate Anderson, they think Ross is a scrub. There are many posters who are deeply unhappy that the team is winning because they think it only leads to a "treadmill". There are many posters who are so invested in their hate of Colangelo that they would rather see the team lose than win. There are lots of posters who want this team totally dismantled in a wild bid to try to get the no. 1 pick next year--despite all of the historic evidence that this strategy doesn't work. This is a toxic place in which a lot of immature "fans" get to vent their hate fantasies anonymously. Their basketball "analysis" consists of ridiculing players. Real GM can be a very, very ugly place.
“The North Remembers"
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#493 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

While I sit the fence on the subject of whether a fan base should boo, I keep wondering how a fan base can express displeasure over the product on the court, ice, field, etc...

Do you not buy tickets? Well, no revenue means owners do not have the necessary amount of money to pay for top tier talent.
Do you write the organization? How many of those types of letters, emails, tweets, etc make it to the decisions makers?

The majority of the casual and semi-casual fan is only the experience of the game for entertainment and that is where they can express whatever emotions the game allows them to. So is Bargs the current focal point for anger and sorrow based on BC's deception of promoting him as the team's saviour? You bet.

BTW, great read on how a fan base (or a fan) feels about their team.

http://thenumerati.net/?postID=818&being-a-sports-fan-religion-or-addiction

Needless to say, I try to manage my addiction by maximizing the pleasure, minimizing the pain, and reducing my emotional vulnerability. (Odysseus attempted something similar when he had sailors tie him to the mast so that he could pass the island of the Sirens and enjoy their songs without succumbing to their sorcery.) I would argue that I resist not only to reduce suffering, but also as a matter of pride: When a business successfully manipulates my emotions and desires, I feel like a loser.
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#494 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Jakay wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:

Huh? Are you being sarcastic? No one expects Barfs to jump out of the gym, but if you can't tell the difference between a guy who simply isn't the best athlete and a guy who plays with no effort, no energy, and complete indifference, I don't know what to say. The only thing wrong about this situation is that it's taken 7 years to get to this point. It should have been 7 months!
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#495 » by Jakay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:How do Brian Scalabrine, Matt Bonner, Aaron Gray, and Jason Collins hustle?

And how have those guys ever even touched Bargs career numbers in a single season? Wtf is your point.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#496 » by Jakay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:Huh? Are you being sarcastic? No one expects Barfs to jump out of the gym, but if you can't tell the difference between a guy who simply isn't the best athlete and a guy who plays with no effort, no energy, and complete indifference, I don't know what to say. The only thing wrong about this situation is that it's taken 7 years to get to this point. It should have been 7 months!

He's got no motor, it's actually really obvious. But he contributes with smart plays that are utterly lost on you clearly.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#497 » by Blast Tyrant » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Why wouldn't we boo him at this point? 7 years of wasted hope on a player who shows no effort and is actually shattering records for rebounding inability. The guy said our team is the worst in the league when we weren't. All I can see is that he is probably the worst rotation player in the nba at this point. Like how sad is it that Val is already more polished than him?
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#498 » by Komodo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:11 pm

C_Money wrote:
Paradise wrote:As a New Yorker, I figured I'd chime in on this.

Booing is a sign of tough love. I highly doubt the fans "hate" him but they certainly realize that the Raptors are evolving and he isn't. In fact, he still represents the past era the Raptors are trying to shed and Barngani isn't even trying to show consistent effort to supplement his numbers.

Fans booing in general is a GREAT sign, it shows they are emotionally invested within the team and a player (negatively or positively). Fans realize that the Raptors surge started without him but boos are supposed to wake up the player and motivate them but it all depends on the mindset of the player.

You get booed in New York, you either come out and win the fans over or you get booted out of town. Classic example: Carmelo. Dude was booed everytime he touched the ball because of the losing record with him compared to Lin, it was certainly unfair in hindsight but Carmelo used it to get better to have a career year and boost the Knicks. Before his Knick tenure, Melo was booed during his trade saga in Denver but he still played hard through it until he was traded.

It's all about how you respond to the boos. They will continue to do so until he responds on the floor in a positive way to boost the team's chances at the playoffs but Bargnani seems like the type to ignore it and not try. He seems like he's waiting to get traded while certain guys would still want to get traded while diving on the floor for loose balls, attacking the glass or making an effort too, etc.

Quite honestly, superstar players would be attracted to a fanbase that will have the passion to boo their team or players. When teams do not hold their team accountable for their on court performance, it's usually a bad sign.

All Bargnani has to do is go out there and do things he's never done before and fans will accept him as they have for the past few years. They just need to understand, he's not a thick skin competitors that will use it as motivation compared to others.

Good post. The fans shouldn't sit by and accept when a player isn't even remotely trying. Sometimes booing your own team has to be done.

I thought this was a good post.
rocket2981
Senior
And1: 24

Post#499 » by rocket2981 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Led Zeppelin wrote:Why wouldn't we boo him at this point? 7 years of wasted hope on a player who shows no effort and is actually shattering records for rebounding inability. The guy said our team is the worst in the league when we weren't. All I can see is that he is probably the worst rotation player in the nba at this point. Like how sad is it that Val is already more polished than him?

Because you are hurting the TEAM. It's obvious to me, how can you don't understand that?
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#500 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Jakay wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:Huh? Are you being sarcastic? No one expects Barfs to jump out of the gym, but if you can't tell the difference between a guy who simply isn't the best athlete and a guy who plays with no effort, no energy, and complete indifference, I don't know what to say. The only thing wrong about this situation is that it's taken 7 years to get to this point. It should have been 7 months!

He's got no motor, it's actually really obvious. But he contributes with smart plays that are utterly lost on you clearly.

Ah, so now he has a thyroid condition and that's why he's incapable of hustling. Yes, the phantom Barfs 'contribution'. the only thing he's consistently contributed to the Raps is a better draft position in the following draft.

Return to Toronto Raptors