ImageImageImageImageImage

David Aldridge talks Bargnani

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, tsherkin, Rhettmatic, DG88, Undefeated, itbobby007, Alfred, FluLikeSymptoms, Morris_Shatford

rapsanity
Banned User
Posts: 1,957
And1: 759
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: Toronto

David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#1 » by rapsanity » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:31 pm

http://watch.nba.com/nba/video/channels/nba_tv/2013/02/20/20130220-beat-bargnani.nba?cat=catId%3A51&p=2

Is he as untradeable as people think? To summarize:

-DA says Andrea is a 'specialist' and may be good for a team needing a specialist. He's a stretch four but that's all he can do.
-Being a 'specialist' is hard to move given the current economics in the NBA. He would have been good with the Lakers but Earl Clark has become a stretch four and does something bargs does not which is defend and rebound
-With luxury tax and the new CBA; Bargs will be really hard to move. Not many team would want to invest that much money in a specialist

Going forward, what can we do with bargs? It seems like he's untradeable?
Big Shot
Veteran
Posts: 2,780
And1: 385
Joined: Mar 22, 2002

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#2 » by Big Shot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

If the Boozer deal is still there in the offseason, just take it and run and worry about the luxury tax later.
Sojourn
Pro Prospect
Posts: 824
And1: 35
Joined: Aug 17, 2009

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#3 » by Sojourn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 pm

seems about right. he cant rebound, defend and gets paid way too much.
Volcano
RealGM
Posts: 12,919
And1: 3,647
Joined: Jan 17, 2005

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#4 » by Volcano » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 pm

I would have been fine letting him come off the bench, but the relationship between Bargs and the fans have soured now. Bargs doesn't want to be here and vice versa.

No deal should be made if it's a bad one or if it doesn't fit into what SHOULD be our plan.
User avatar
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 31,349
And1: 334
Joined: Oct 31, 2001
 

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#5 » by Headliner » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Shoulda moved him to the bobcats for Ben G and something, then flipped Ben in the summer as an expiring.
Image
User avatar
Cross-over
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,665
And1: 69
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#6 » by Cross-over » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 pm

IMHO its looking like an Amnesty is the solution but from what I gather(daggers thread) we gain nothing capwise by doing it so I guess you keep him around and hope he someday gets it.
Image
User avatar
Neutral 123
General Manager
Posts: 8,943
And1: 945
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Pandora

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#7 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Luckily for the Raps, the new luxury tax structure has made teams desperate to get under it. So as long as the Raps are willing to take on more salary, they should be able to move him.
To them, it's like everyone wants the money they are never going to make. amluvinit2 on the tea party..
User avatar
stro
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,922
And1: 642
Joined: May 30, 2004
Location: Aperture Laboratories
   

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#8 » by stro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Andrea will be useful to some other team, as more than a 'specialist'. I have no doubt in my mind that this guy can play as a #1 offensive option off the bench while providing decent defense and energy. He just needs to be in the right situation where that role is asked from him. The way he played in Indiana is exactly where he needs to be at this point. He was engaged, getting down in a defensive stance, hitting big shots when needed and talkin some smack. But all of a sudden for whatever reason since then, he's had no role on this team. This is a guy who should clearly be our best player off the bench, he's got the talent and will have the motor when motivated. But it's not happening, he can't have a defined role when he's playing on the floor with Alan Anderson and John Lucas, because those guys don't know THEIR role. In what world guys like Alan Anderon and John Lucas are offensive options before Andrea Bargnani is beyond me. I've said it all season long Dwane needs to sit these guys down and tell them to check their role with this team because that bench unit is all messed up. But the pieces are there. I can only hope that Telfair can bring some stability and proper distribution to that lineup. Otherwise we'll just lose Andrea for scraps in the offseason and watch him thrive else where in a properly defined role.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky

Image
props to parker18ville
User avatar
J-Roc
RealGM
Posts: 30,524
And1: 3,734
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
       

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#9 » by J-Roc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:52 pm

BC always thought Bargs was an enigma. Well Bargs has now been figured out. A stretch 4 who does less than Earl Clark.
Image
MagnusPinus
Veteran
Posts: 2,901
And1: 96
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: Torino - Italia

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#10 » by MagnusPinus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:52 pm

I think ppl are losing a bit of perspective on Bargnani.. He is not just a specialist(a shooter). He showed in the years he can be a scorer as well.. He can dribble against slower guys, he can post up smaller guys. He is very talented.. making him a shooter it's not fair.. But of course.. now he looks totally out of place and disengaged. He probably doesn't care anymore.
GuyverADL wrote:
The only thing Curry will raise from the start of the season is his cholesterol.
People do not understand Curry's reason for wanting to be a ballerina. He wanted to be able to contort his body to be able to fit in the fridge.
User avatar
Neutral 123
General Manager
Posts: 8,943
And1: 945
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
Location: Pandora

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#11 » by Neutral 123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm

MagnusPinus wrote:I think ppl are losing a bit of perspective on Bargnani.. He is not just a specialist(a shooter). He showed in the years he can be a scorer as well.. He can dribble against slower guys, he can post up smaller guys. He is very talented.. making him a shooter it's not fair.. But of course.. now he looks totally out of place and disengaged. He probably doesn't care anymore.

He might be able to do these things in the Italian league, but certainly not in the NBA.
To them, it's like everyone wants the money they are never going to make. amluvinit2 on the tea party..
User avatar
Brinbe
RealGM
Posts: 30,799
And1: 956
Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Location: Terana
         

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#12 » by Brinbe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Didn't see any reference to defense or rebounding in the OP.
Image
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 20,439
And1: 2,076
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#13 » by whysoserious » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 pm

stro wrote:Andrea will be useful to some other team, as more than a 'specialist'. I have no doubt in my mind that this guy can play as a #1 offensive option off the bench while providing decent defense and energy. He just needs to be in the right situation where that role is asked from him. The way he played in Indiana is exactly where he needs to be at this point. He was engaged, getting down in a defensive stance, hitting big shots when needed and talkin some smack. But all of a sudden for whatever reason since then, he's had no role on this team. This is a guy who should clearly be our best player off the bench, he's got the talent and will have the motor when motivated. But it's not happening, he can't have a defined role when he's playing on the floor with Alan Anderson and John Lucas, because those guys don't know THEIR role. In what world guys like Alan Anderon and John Lucas are offensive options before Andrea Bargnani is beyond me. I've said it all season long Dwane needs to sit these guys down and tell them to check their role with this team because that bench unit is all messed up. But the pieces are there. I can only hope that Telfair can bring some stability and proper distribution to that lineup. Otherwise we'll just lose Andrea for scraps in the offseason and watch him thrive else where in a properly defined role.


The problem with Andrea is you get an Indiana-type game every now and again, followed by exactly what he's doing right now. It's not like we decided to pull him back since that game. The coach now plays him more when he hustles and makes shots and pulls him when he doesn't. You can point out lack of role and all that other stuff, but the issues he's having are on him. Not everyone else.

Sure his lack of production is at an all-time low, his confidence is low and we all know he's better than this. But it's the flaws in him as a basketball player that bring this out all the time. He's never really been able to even do what he did in Indiana for long stretches. If he goes out and hustles a bit and looks engaged, i'm sure Casey will leave him out there more and he'll get more shots.

At this point, you need to earn them.
Image
User avatar
orbesnet
Analyst
Posts: 3,630
And1: 1,121
Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Location: Brooklyn

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#14 » by orbesnet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Cross-over wrote:IMHO its looking like an Amnesty is the solution but from what I gather(daggers thread) we gain nothing capwise by doing it so I guess you keep him around and hope he someday gets it.


I thought the whole point of amnesty was to free up cap sapce?!!! You still have to pay the guy but he doesn't count towards your cap/tax situation.
TRoss has "potential legend of the game" written all over him. - nov.2013
Image
User avatar
redred9
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,356
And1: 65
Joined: Apr 01, 2008
Location: Sydney & Toronto
     

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#15 » by redred9 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 pm

At this stage I would just keep him around and hope he buys in to what Casey is selling the rest of the team- defence, grit, communication on d etc.

Fans booing the hell out of him doesn't help but all he needs is a few good games and it should abate. We've seen what Bargs can do when really motivated- remember past games against the Knicks, Heat, Nets etc. Maybe he pays his dues for us in a big game down the stretch. I would still rather Bargs chucking and pulling shot blockers away from the basket than Alan 'Kobe' Anderson running amok.

He's actually in the perfect situation right now. If he comes out hitting shots? Keep him in until he misses 3 straight. If he comes out missing defensive rotations? He's banished straight away until next rotation. I think it's pretty obvious Casey is not running any kind of plays for him right now as a form of 'tough love'. Lets see how Bargs responds.

There is no point losing him for nothing when we're not going to be under the cap anymore no matter what we do.
Image
User avatar
whysoserious
RealGM
Posts: 20,439
And1: 2,076
Joined: Jun 19, 2004
       

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#16 » by whysoserious » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:06 pm

orbesnet wrote:
Cross-over wrote:IMHO its looking like an Amnesty is the solution but from what I gather(daggers thread) we gain nothing capwise by doing it so I guess you keep him around and hope he someday gets it.


I thought the whole point of amnesty was to free up cap sapce?!!! You still have to pay the guy but he doesn't count towards your cap/tax situation.


We just added a 20 million dollar player, amnestying him before the trade might have helped with Jose just expiring, it doesn't now under our current cap situation.
Image
User avatar
tdotrep2
Analyst
Posts: 3,452
And1: 1,602
Joined: May 21, 2011
 

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#17 » by tdotrep2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Big Shot wrote:If the Boozer deal is still there in the offseason, just take it and run and worry about the luxury tax later.


Seems like a water proof plan boss.
MagnusPinus
Veteran
Posts: 2,901
And1: 96
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: Torino - Italia

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#18 » by MagnusPinus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:He might be able to do these things in the Italian league, but certainly not in the NBA.



bull.. U guys have short memory.
This year he has been a disgrace but u can't forget all those games when Bargnani carried the team.. And now it's easy to go against him.. but u have to realize the last years the teams he had to play in.. We were such a disgrace talent wise... He had to play with Nbdl teammates for years..

Now after an injury he comes back and suddenly he is the cause of everything that happened to the raptors these years... Go check the rosters we had please.. go check.. I can't wait till he gets traded and does very well on a good team.. He is just over here.. too many bad years, too many things have changed. It's time to start fresh for the team, and for him. But not giving him respect for sticking to team, and playing in such a bad organization is absolutely shameful
GuyverADL wrote:
The only thing Curry will raise from the start of the season is his cholesterol.
People do not understand Curry's reason for wanting to be a ballerina. He wanted to be able to contort his body to be able to fit in the fridge.
3thomas
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,532
And1: 188
Joined: Dec 25, 2009

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#19 » by 3thomas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Klieza yesterday denied reports he intends to go to Europe and play there, so he is picking his option. Klieza will be an expiring next season and will be easy to move.

If there is no team that wants Andrea, maybe he should explore playing in Europe? If he wants to stay in the NBA, BC should speak with Bargnani and his agent about the possibility of not picking up his ETO of 2014. Becoming an expiring next year, which would make him much more easy to move especially packaged with Klieza or a young asset like Ross for an established player.
If that fails then yes the amnesty is the last option. BC will never pull the trigger on it, but a new GM (empowered by new ownership) will not hesitate twice.

Enough wuth the dancing BC, stop the propaganda he has no value and everyone knows.
User avatar
dballislife
RealGM
Posts: 11,068
And1: 2,676
Joined: Jan 24, 2010

Re: David Aldridge talks Bargnani 

Post#20 » by dballislife » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

pts reb and defense isn't even they key for this man, those all come later...the main thing u gotta learn before any skill is trying hard, working hard, he doesn't even give full effort out there, his energy level and awareness needs to be better, just look at 20 yr old jonas and amir hustling and working hard every play
What is basketball.....basketball is life!

Return to Toronto Raptors