ImageImageImageImageImage

When are the Raptors NOT a treadmill team ?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,053

Re: When are the Raptors NOT a treadmill team ? 

Post#21 » by Marvin Martian » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 am

The Raptors will get off the treadmill when they get an all star caliber SG to pair up with Rudy Gay.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#22 » by suntzuballin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:10 am

more when are the raptors gonna be a relavent team
nodeal
Rookie
And1: 216

Post#23 » by nodeal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 am

Viatical wrote:
Los Manos wrote:When the average age of your roster is under 26 and you're a considered a consensus playoff team then you aren't on the treadmill.

Yep. As crazy as it sounds, Toronto is in the same boat as the Rockets when it comes to this laundry list of young kids trying to coalesce around a playoff goal, and with future playoff hopes spelled out in the ongoing development of those young pieces. Obviously Houston has far superior management and coaching to tie it all together, so their melting pot of a young roster is on a higher trajectory, but I'll still call this team Rockets East. I'm not against it.

Houston has better players, better coaching, better management, cap space. They are also a playoff team in the west and would prob be #2 in the east.

We are more like the pelicans of the east.
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#24 » by ballislife » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:39 am

I think this team has a chance to develop into a really nice playoff team. Our entire starting lineup is under 27.

DeMar's only 23 and JV's only 20... they're both still growing, wait till they hit their prime.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#25 » by sule » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 am

To be a treadmill you have to remain around the same position all the time. We're not doing that. We continuously lose more and more games each year. Then have an upswing of a year or two, and then spiral down again. THAT is our franchises history. To be a perennial treadmill team in the bottom of the playoff rankings would be success.

And precisely b/c that is our story thus far in franchise history, this team should be looking to continuously improve whenever it gets the chance. If we are a bottom-feeding playoff team, then so be it. I'd rather that, then be in the lottery time and time again.

We just need to continuously build on what we have and know when to capitalize to become a true contender.

But tanking for the chance to pick Wiggins isn't the way to go. We're not even guaranteed to get him. In fact, the odds are much greater we don't get him.

If Wiggins is going to be a franchise player and a dominant player in the mould of today's top players, then tell me..would you rather have rookie LeBron, or current LeBron? Rookie KD or current KD?

Building a good team and continuously chasing trades for Wiggins with assets and good players we've accumulated over the years will be the best way to court him and make ourselves a contender.

We're not going to get Wiggins in the draft. But if we build a winning team that he feels he can take to the championship and be the hero of, he'll come to us.

You build speculation on a player joining your team long-enough, it usually happens. Just look at LeBron to Miami, or at least leaving Cleveland (rumours were around for a while). Bosh leaving Toronto. Vince eventually landing in Orlando. Dwight in LA.

That's why we have to make sure we build a team and culture of winning that Wiggins or another top player will want to join.
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#26 » by Chaos Engine » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 am

I have no problem becoming the next Indiana Pacers. But we are on track to become the new Milwaukee Bucks, which I have a huge issue with.
Viatical
Lead Assistant
And1: 348

Post#27 » by Viatical » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 am

nodeal wrote:
Viatical wrote:
Los Manos wrote:When the average age of your roster is under 26 and you're a considered a consensus playoff team then you aren't on the treadmill.

Yep. As crazy as it sounds, Toronto is in the same boat as the Rockets when it comes to this laundry list of young kids trying to coalesce around a playoff goal, and with future playoff hopes spelled out in the ongoing development of those young pieces. Obviously Houston has far superior management and coaching to tie it all together, so their melting pot of a young roster is on a higher trajectory, but I'll still call this team Rockets East. I'm not against it.

Houston has better players, better coaching, better management, cap space. They are also a playoff team in the west and would prob be #2 in the east.

We are more like the pelicans of the east.

The whole point was that the two teams are on similar footing in terms of the age of their rosters and their respective stages of development, with Houston as the youngest in the league and Toronto as (if I'm not mistaken) third youngest.* So if it sounds really dumb to call the Rockets a treadmill team, it's probably just as dumb to make the same statement about the Raptors. But if you wanted to make some verbose point by point comparison of the two teams anyway, go right ahead. Why no mention of how one team is in Texas and the other is in Canada? And how the lowest recorded temperature in Houston was 9 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas the lowest recorded temperature in Toronto was -33 degrees Fahrenheit? Or how owner Les Alexander is a vegetarian, but the MLSE ownership group eats only pasta? :cool:

*weighted by minutes played
nodeal
Rookie
And1: 216

Post#28 » by nodeal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:07 am

Viatical wrote:The whole point was that the two teams are on similar footing in terms of the age of their rosters and their respective stages of development, with Houston as the youngest in the league and Toronto as (if I'm not mistaken) third youngest.* So if it sounds really dumb to call the Rockets a treadmill team, it's probably just as dumb to make the same statement about the Raptors. But if you wanted to make some verbose point by point comparison of the two teams anyway, go right ahead. Why no mention of how one team is in Texas and the other is in Canada? And how the lowest recorded temperature in Houston was 9 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas the lowest recorded temperature in Toronto was -33 degrees Fahrenheit? Or how owner Les Alexander is a vegetarian, but the MLSE ownership group eats only pasta? :cool:

Rockets and raptors have 1 thing in common they are both young teams. You disrespect Houston by comparing them to the raptors. Pelicans are also closer in age to the raptors. (weighted and not weighted by min played)

Pelicans are run very similar to the raptors.
Zarko
Veteran
And1: 208

Post#29 » by Zarko » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:19 am

Until we get a superstar, were a treadmill team. Detroit did it without one but they had a Perennial DPOY and the perfect mesh of players.
The iL MaGo Era BEGINS
Viatical
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Viatical » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:37 am

nodeal wrote:
Viatical wrote:The whole point was that the two teams are on similar footing in terms of the age of their rosters and their respective stages of development, with Houston as the youngest in the league and Toronto as (if I'm not mistaken) third youngest.* So if it sounds really dumb to call the Rockets a treadmill team, it's probably just as dumb to make the same statement about the Raptors. But if you wanted to make some verbose point by point comparison of the two teams anyway, go right ahead. Why no mention of how one team is in Texas and the other is in Canada? And how the lowest recorded temperature in Houston was 9 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas the lowest recorded temperature in Toronto was -33 degrees Fahrenheit? Or how owner Les Alexander is a vegetarian, but the MLSE ownership group eats only pasta? :cool:

Rockets and raptors have 1 thing in common they are both young teams. You disrespect Houston by comparing them to the raptors. Pelicans are also closer in age to the raptors.

Pelicans are run very similar to the raptors.

SMH So you didn't internalize anything in that post, huh. Just typed out the same thing again along with some made up stat about the Pelicans demonstrating you don't know what weighting by minutes played means. I don't even feel we're having a conversation at this point, and I am unwilling to type the three paragraphs it would take to get you up to speed on this, sorry. It's just too exhausting in these situations. Take it easy.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#31 » by redred9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:34 am

When/if Jonas becomes a true All Star I don't think this will be a treadmill team anymore.

So it really depends on what you think of Jonas' potential.
strudel forever
Senior
And1: 294

Post#32 » by strudel forever » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 am

SFour wrote:The Raptors haven't even turned on the treadmill. Lets see them make the playoffs then we can talk about being a treadmill team.
Hitch22
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#33 » by Hitch22 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:23 am

NOW!
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#34 » by beanbag » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 am

Chaos Engine wrote:I have no problem becoming the next Indiana Pacers. But we are on track to become the new Milwaukee Bucks, which I have a huge issue with.

Why are we more Bucks than Pacers?
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#35 » by tosi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 am

When we develop a flux capacitor.. Bring a prime Michael Jordan, Shaq, Magic and lebron to play for us.
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#36 » by Jakay » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 am

I don't see a treadmill. I see a team that has simply been awful for 90% of it's history.

5th longest active playoff drought too including the Warriors, and Nets, so they're really primed to take a step on that list to a solid third place.

I think they could sneak in this year though. It's a long shot, but they're playing like a new team, and they can make a charge.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#37 » by lucky777s » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm

One thing I have never understood about this board is the disrespect that teams like ATL and IND get from posters here. That type of success is probably the upside for TOR unless we get super lucky in the draft.

Even teams like MIL and PHI. MIL almost never had a healthy Bogut, that is what really held them back. PHI could have stayed a solid playoff team like last year but made big moves to get Bynum. Bynum played almost a full season last year for LAL but hasnt played a single game this year yet. Raps are still trying to get to the level of both those teams.
Viatical
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Viatical » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 pm

Indiana didn't get good until they fired their awful coach and hired Frank Vogel, who finished out his first season going 20-18 with the same roster that Jim O'Brien went 17-27 with. Coaching is more valuable than some people think. (PS. FIRE DWANE CASEY.)

Atlanta? Atlanta has one of the most disinterested fan bases in the NBA regardless of how the Hawks are doing. The franchise is run like a fourth rate attraction behind Falcons games and college basketball. Players can't wait to leave that team, even if they're freaking from Atlanta. Nobody wants what Atlanta had before the Joe Johnson trade, and worse, nobody really cares what they'll have after it either, least of all the residents of Atlanta, Georgia. But oh look at me, disrespecting the Hawks and the Pacers by spitting truth like this. ;)

Return to Toronto Raptors