ImageImageImageImageImage

JV about his first season.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Zhilvis
Senior
And1: 639

JV about his first season. 

Post#1 » by Zhilvis » Sat May 18, 2013 8:29 am

So JV is back in Lithuania and recently did a short interview, sharing his experiences in Toronto. Since this was done in Lithuania I thought you might like to know what he really thinks of NBA and Canada.

Q: How would you rate your rookie year?
A: I think it was OK. I got plenty of experience and for that I'm thankful. I'd rate it positively.

Q: Did you feel exhausted after playing a season in NBA?
A: A little bit, the NBA schedule is intense. Sometimes you'd play 3 games in 4 days so you do feel tired, but I always gave it my best. I used my days off wisely and was good to go for the next game. When the season ended my body recovered after the first week, I'm still young I don't need that much rest. (laughing)

Q: What surprised you the most over there?
A: Traveling and the whole NBA life in general. While you're traveling you have zero free time, it's not easy. Also the level of basketball they play at was a little bit of a shock.

Q: You played with the biggest names in basketball, whereas before you would only see them on TV. How did you feel playing with the best basketball players in the world?
A:It was an honor to play with and against those guys. It just motivates you more.

Q: Sabonis always said he thought playing against Shaq was the most difficult thing he encountered. Who did you find difficult playing against?
A: Probably Nikola Pekovic. He's really strong and just a really good player in general. To be honest, there was no center who was easy to play against. There wasn't a single game where you'd come in get your points and walk off. I always gave it my all. There were no easy games.

Q: You got to travel all over North America. What did you think of the cities, arenas?
A: Most of the arenas are somewhat similar in the way they look, it's the history that sets them apart. It was a bit unreal playing in the same places where Kobe or Shaq play. My favorite was MSG.

Q: How hard was it to adjust to the NBA rules?
A: It was hard at first, since I've played according to European rules all my life. I made lots off mistakes at first, but as time went on I got used to them.

Q: How do they treat rookies over there?
A: Sometimes the refs will check you, to see how you act in different situations, they want to see if you're a smart player or not. Also the older players know that you're a rookie so they'll test you too. You have to be ready, mentally and physically. You can never relax if you want to achieve something.

Q: You suffered a neck injury during a game vs the Bulls and were taken to hospital. Did the injury scare you a little bit?
A: That injury wasn't very serious. They took me to the hospital just as a precaution. It looked worse than it was.

Q: How did you deal with the language barrier?
A: It was tough at first, I didn't understand much and I couldn't speak much. As the season went on I tried my best, I had a teacher who would give me a few lessons here and there. I think I learned a lot. I can communicate properly now.(smiles)

Q: Journalists in Toronto wrote that as the season progressed you earned the respect of the fans and the referees. Did you feel it?
A: I just played my game. I wasn't out to impress anybody (laughing). I guess I just earned it by working hard. Towards the end of the season I guess I felt that the refs weren't as hard on me as they were before.

Q: Did you feel that the coach D. Casey had your back? Did you feel you had his support?
A: I had a great relationship with the coach and I'm happy that I had a chance to work with him, because I did feel that I had his support. I was always able to approach him, ask questions, get some pointers. Of course there were some disagreements but I'm extremely happy I got to work with Dwayne Casey. I hope he stays next year.

Q: Raptors had high expectations coming into the season, so after the team failed to make the playoffs there were a lot of talks about the future of the Raptors. D. Casey and B. Colangelo received plenty of criticism.
A: I don't know much about that. My job is to play basketball not focus on what the management are doing. It was good for me, I don't know what the future holds. If there is going to be any changes I'll try to adapt, if not I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Q:How did you settle in Toronto?
A: I love Toronto. The city is very European. There's a lot of Europeans living there, who just like me don't speak English all that well. I really felt welcome and at home. I'm very happy I get to live in Toronto, it was easy to adapt. I live close to the ACC so I'm not late and I avoid the traffic.

Q: What are the drivers like over there?
A: Their good. A little slow maybe but good. (laughing)

Q: Do you get noticed on the street a lot?
A: I do. I felt the support of the fans.

Q: Basketball isn't the most popular sport in Toronto.
A: Ice hockey is number one, but basketball is still pretty popular. We had a sell out crowd almost every game, so there's not that much of a gap. The fans in Toronto are very active all four quarters. You always felt their support.

Q: It shouldn't have been too difficult when you first arrived in Toronto, you had Kleiza.
A: I was very happy to have him on our team. I had a lot of questions when I first arrived, he helped me out a lot.

Q: He didn't play much this season. Why do you think that is?
A: It's not my place to comment, he can tell you more himself. I actually don't even know, it was just the way it was. That's what the coach decided.

Q: Did you keep in contact with Donatas Motiejunas? (The other Lithuanian rookie)
A: I did. We kept in touch.

Q: Did you follow European basketball?
A: Of course I did.

Q: During the season and especially towards the end there were a lot of videos being posted of you playing. Did you watch any of them
A: I saw a few, it's nice when people make stuff like that, but I'm not one of those people who googles himself constantly. I don't see the big deal.

Q: There were reports that you'll be working with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer.
A: I don't know the full story. I need to be in Toronto on the 2nd of June. Who I'll be working with I don't know yet. Maybe I'll get a chance to work with him.

Source http://www.lrytas.lt/sportas/krepsinis/ ... -savas.htm

and this video is suitable for thread title [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6165zqIhH8g[/youtube]
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: JV about his first season. 

Post#2 » by Kabookalu » Sat May 18, 2013 9:18 am

Of course there were some disagreements but I'm extremely happy I got to work with Dwayne Casey. I hope he stays next year.

The franchise has spoken, Casey needs to be here.
Read on Twitter
RxOxP
Junior
And1: 114

Post#3 » by RxOxP » Sat May 18, 2013 9:35 am

Q: Did you feel that the coach D. Casey had your back? Did you feel you had his support?
A: I had a great relationship with the coach and I'm happy that I had a chance to work with him, because I did feel that I had his support. I was always able to approach him, ask questions, get some pointers. Of course there were some disagreements but I'm extremely happy I got to work with Dwayne Casey. I hope he stays next year.

Trade him, he's a buss. LOL
ImageRaptors Fan For Life Image
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Post#4 » by tecumseh18 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:39 am

Wow, thanks for translating this. Val sounds pretty easy-going, but politically correct. No talk of us being the worst team in the league. No mention of the cold (but then again, he's from Lithuania).

Great news about working with Hakeem (if true, but he didn't deny it). We've been hoping for years that the Raptors would take advantage of The Dream's Toronto connection, at least back when Bargnani was supposed to be our centre. So between that and Sabonis, Jonas has no excuse for not progressing. Let me put that another way - he WILL progress.
Listas
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#5 » by Listas » Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 am

Choker wrote:
Of course there were some disagreements but I'm extremely happy I got to work with Dwayne Casey. I hope he stays next year.

In my opinion a more accurate translation would be 'ups and downs', not 'disagreements'.
CoinTossRoss
Senior
And1: 115

Post#6 » by CoinTossRoss » Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks a lot for this :)

And I am extremely happy to hear he's working with the Dream this summer, or hopefully. I think we're going to see a huge jump in his game next season.
Tank for Wiggins

Credit to TZ for the sig

blueNorange wrote:imagine k-mart having sex, how crazy he gets
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#7 » by NG15 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Met Val in real life, such a humble and easy-going dude. He's definitely genuine with regards to his thoughts on the NBA and Toronto.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#8 » by JV4MVP » Sat May 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Zhilvis wrote:and this video is suitable for thread title [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6165zqIhH8g[/youtube]

lol @ 1:11

GTFO out my way
blocked
Senior
And1: 44

Post#9 » by blocked » Sat May 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Lol, he did not say this phrase.

RxOxP wrote:Q: I hope he stays next year.
Zhilvis
Senior
And1: 639

Post#10 » by Zhilvis » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm

blocked wrote:Lol, he did not say this phrase.

actually he did say in other words.
blocked
Senior
And1: 44

Post#11 » by blocked » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Zhilvis wrote:
blocked wrote:Lol, he did not say this phrase.

actually he did say in other words.

Yeah, literal translation shows nice people talk, and since fans are very sensitive to this topic, I would keep that sentence at what it literally said: "I am very happy that I had Casey in my path. I hope he continues being in my path."
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,066

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 pm

I think as a coach mentor type, Casey was a good thing for JV. JV's defensive improvement was clear and he got a chance. Of course he deserved to play more, but there are players who deserves to play and they dont play at all.

Casey was worse off the court (for JV I mean). Crapped on him and used him as a scapegoat number of times. Casey was just weak, desperate for credibility, blaming everyone, but himself. JV is different kind, he looks how improve himself, instead of blaming everybody else.
America - We didn't win World cup cause we don't care for FIBA.
Germany - Bruh, we don't even care for Basketball.
Just Win Baby
Senior
And1: 75

Post#13 » by Just Win Baby » Sat May 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Choker wrote:

I don't know, he is speaking in past tense like he expects Casey to be gone!
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#14 » by Scraptor » Sat May 18, 2013 2:51 pm

That's one of the most English-friendly translations I've read of a lithuanian interview I've seen here. Sometimes I'm struggling to decipher what was really meant, but this seemed crystal clear. Thanks a lot OP.

As for the content, Val seems like such a high-character kid. I honestly think that once the hype train starts rolling he's going to get levels of adoration and coverage in the US that we haven't had since VC.
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,650

Post#15 » by witnessraps » Sat May 18, 2013 2:51 pm

most raptor fans would probably be on suicide watch right now if we didn't have JV. There's hope.
notic101
Lead Assistant
And1: 48

Post#16 » by notic101 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks OP, nice refreshing change of pace.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,162

Post#17 » by LLJ » Sat May 18, 2013 5:32 pm

LOL, I'm sorry guys but he's not going to throw anyone under the bus at this stage of his career. of course he'll be positive about Casey. That said, I do believe him when he says that he personally didn't have problems with Casey. It's Casey who was using JV as an excuse crutch most of the time
fizzgig
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#18 » by fizzgig » Sat May 18, 2013 5:38 pm

pzdc zilvi, galejai man duot biski kredito kad isverciau..
Peacock
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#19 » by Peacock » Sat May 18, 2013 6:24 pm

LLJ wrote:LOL, I'm sorry guys but he's not going to throw anyone under the bus at this stage of his career. of course he'll be positive about Casey. That said, I do believe him when he says that he personally didn't have problems with Casey. It's Casey who was using JV as an excuse crutch most of the time

This
higher17
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#20 » by higher17 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 pm

nice mix, man
Jackay - "Don't be so afraid to say what you think...
In my mind, Ray Allen's more important to the Heat than LeBron."

Return to Toronto Raptors